• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Samus Match-Up Discussion Thread 2.0

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I may have missed this at some point, but I'm a little confused why we have two matchup discussion threads? This one, which is stickied, and another one which has quite a lot of posts in it already. Seems like these two threads have been running in parallel?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I may have missed this at some point, but I'm a little confused why we have two matchup discussion threads? This one, which is stickied, and another one which has quite a lot of posts in it already. Seems like these two threads have been running in parallel?
The top post of the other thread isn't being maintained. It wouldn't hurt to merge that thread into this thread.

Edit to avoid double post:
Premature Cloud analysis. Cloud wins 60:40. Cloud has a deceptively thin hitbox so uair isn't as good against him as I would hope. Dtilt is the bane of Samus' existence. Uair is very hard for us to challenge. Finishing touch is a vertical kill move. His nair is really good. Has big disjoints and isn't too laggy. Easy to gimp compared to most of the cast. Otherwise Cloud would be a nightmare.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I think we win cloud readily, early estimation of course.
We can fall out of his jab at range or break it with up-air like falcon's up close, we can nair him out of his side-B, our nair beats his f-air when you are coming from below, up-B can clip the side of his d-air and beat it and I'm pretty sure we can shield grab his jab. He's a nice weight and fall speed for combos, his hitstun hurtbox is fairly large, his recovery is really quite bad.
He's quite well balanced overall, maybe a tad weak.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
FlAlex FlAlex Yep, n-air. Z-air extends your foot downwards, doesn't work well, that horizontal slash can clip it. Kick him in the face.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I haven't met a *good* cloud yet. I have met tons of wannabes and players who immediately switch off of cloud after getting wrecked to their actual mains. I personally think he needs more time to mature in his metagame despite being a basic character.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So is there a consensus on the Cloud MU yet?
I don't know, no one else has posted.

He is very very solid. He can do lots of interesting stuff, and importantly for smash 4, lots of interesting stuff to cover his landing and has limit break canceling to do stuff out of dash, making it less of a commitment than it is for most of the cast.

I thinks he beats Samus. He is easily my second best character already, and I haven't put in that much time (almost 200 games now). His uair is monsterous and almost unchallengable. His dash attack is fast and kills. He has two meteors. Nair is freaking awesome. Dtilt is amazing and sets up uair. His jab is actually pretty good and you can cross up shield if you start it close to your opponent. Bair is passable and heavy damage. Ftilt is eh, but really not that bad at all, especially if you are used to Samus' ftilt, it serves a similar purpose. His fsmash is really disjointed and annoying. I'm sure it won't keep surprising me with its reach, but goddamn. Limit break is basically a shenanigans move with three kill moves with different timings and threat zones. Yeah, he's pretty good.

Specific to the Samus MU, dtilt punishes zair. That's basically all you need to know. This MU is uphill. The good news is that even his pretty good nair isn't super fast, so we can pressure him in the air at all times. Overall, I think this is a tough MU. Probably 60:40. Maybe even goes to 65:35 as people figure out more tech with Cloud. He is harder to camp and get off stage than mac because he has limit break, though he doesn't get much out of throws, so shield is good against him. Offstage, I think bomb is really important in this MU. You put it far enough offstage so that Cloud's upb doesn't eat the hitboxes. Go out and get the gimp. Alternatively you can take a free 12% on dtilt because he can't ledge snap then try to follow up. He can delay once with forward b and neutral b off stage, but they aren't great stalling moves. I haven't actually lost many matches to Cloud, but that's because people are still figuring him out. Based on what I have seen and played so far, I think this is a rough one.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Alternatively you can take a free 12% on dtilt because he can't ledge snap then try to follow up.
I simply charge a down-angled f-smash and outright kill him. Standing in the right spot f-smash is sufficiently disjointed that he can't hit us, and we definitely hit him. The timing isn't that strict even, since we can charge the smash.
All disjointed smashes, counters, windboxes, incidentally for your secondaries, kill cloud as well in similar fashion. He's kind of the opposite of a little mac, if he's forced to recover low, he's dead.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I simply charge a down-angled f-smash and outright kill him. Standing in the right spot f-smash is sufficiently disjointed that he can't hit us, and we definitely hit him. The timing isn't that strict even, since we can charge the smash.
All disjointed smashes, counters, windboxes, incidentally for your secondaries, kill cloud as well in similar fashion. He's kind of the opposite of a little mac, if he's forced to recover low, he's dead.
Eh, I think if he sweet spots from low he can avoid dangled fsmash but not dtilt.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Eh, I think if he sweet spots from low he can avoid dangled fsmash but not dtilt.
I don't think he can sweetspot the ledge from below the stage. I'm pretty sure he can only snap to the ledge from above or directly next to it.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I don't think he can sweetspot the ledge from below the stage. I'm pretty sure he can only snap to the ledge from above or directly next to it.
It's not a true "sweet spot" but I'm pretty certain he can grab the ledge from the end of upb below where we can challenge it with dangled fsmash.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I experimented a bit last evening, to get Cloud to not poke his hurtbox above the ledge with his up-B he needs to be quite far back from the stage and try to get a perfect ledge snap, aiming for that point in space almost 45 degrees below the stage lip. It's hard to do, not impossible, but not completely trivial. Otherwise d-angled f-smash does in fact wreck him and it's not hard to do at all.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I experimented a bit last evening, to get Cloud to not poke his hurtbox above the ledge with his up-B he needs to be quite far back from the stage and try to get a perfect ledge snap, aiming for that point in space almost 45 degrees below the stage lip. It's hard to do, not impossible, but not completely trivial. Otherwise d-angled f-smash does in fact wreck him and it's not hard to do at all.
I don't think it's that tough to do once you put in time with Cloud. I agree you can definitely get the fsmash punish if cloud recovers too high (from below). I just think it's better to challenge him off stage with a bomb plus aerials.

MacClarence

Smash Rookie
I just got absolutely embarassed by an Ike online, Ive lost matches decisively before, but never been so utterly trounced. Any tips for a good Ike?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I just got absolutely embarassed by an Ike online, Ive lost matches decisively before, but never been so utterly trounced. Any tips for a good Ike?
It's much easier to help specific questions like this if you save a replay.

Here is a vid of depth vs ryo.

Last edited:

MacClarence

Smash Rookie
dat ***** depth has some insane percision with his back airs but even watching the fight I can see the MU is in Ike's favour heavy.

Has anyone on a more basic skill level had to fight a competent Ike? I cant land back airs that well, but the tether grab edge play looks useful.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
dat ***** depth has some insane percision with his back airs but even watching the fight I can see the MU is in Ike's favour heavy.

Has anyone on a more basic skill level had to fight a competent Ike? I cant land back airs that well, but the tether grab edge play looks useful.
The 1.1.1 shield changes make back air really important. It's not super unsafe on shield against Ike and it is a very powerful move. Definitely don't get greedy when Ike hits shield with nair. You can maybe shield drop to jab if he hits high on shield, but don't even think about grabbing. Jab actually has OK reach and is 6 frames faster than grab OoS. UpB oos is great if the nair is poorly spaced.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Has anyone else noticed that cloud is really easy to get up smash on? Like I've been scooping him 100% of the time, am I just crazy?

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I tested yesterday and jab and dtilt have almost the exact same range. It sounds insane, cuz we all know dtilt has really good range... But go try it. I guess it's the same thing with ftilt, where its range gets extended by Samus leaning forward. I wonder how the range on her jab stacks up to other characters.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
This is all our moves in order of range, barring Aerials

Charge Shot
Super Missiles
Homing missiles
Zair
Grab
F-Tilt
Angled F-Tilt
Jab 2
Up Tilt
Down Tilt
F-Smash
Jab 1
D-Smash
U-Smash
Bombs

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Jab 2>Utilt is surprising.

I'm also gonna copy paste some stuff comparing chargeable projectiles I tested in training because why not

Speed is speed in the air. Ranges are rough estimates. KO is the percent that it kills Mario at the edge of FD (full charge).

Lucario is split up by no aura/max aura numbers. Can hold means it doesn't automatically store the projectile once it's done, so Mewtwo and Lucario can just hold before releasing. Which I guess kind of bypasses start up time but idk if it matters that much.

Charge Shot--
Speed 1st
Range 1.5 FD
Damage 25
KO 73
Charge time 3rd
Aerial Charge--No
Can hold--No

Sun Salutation--
Speed 3rd
Range 1.25 FD
Damage 18
KO 102
Charge time T1st
Aerial Charge--Yes
Can hold-No

Aura Sphere--
Speed 2nd
Range 1 FD
Damage 14/25
KO 173/68
Charge time T1st
Aerial charge--Yes
Can hold--Yes

Shadow Ball--
Speed 4th
Range 1.25 FD
Damage 26
KO 73
Charge time 4th
Aerial charge--Yes
Can hold--Yes

A few things, Mewtwo's shadow ball is slow, charging and after its released. That combined with no setups/tech chases makes me think it's the weakest. Biggest plus he has is his reflector, so he can reflect it back. Same strength on hit as Samus though.

WFT's KOs late but can get it easily... And I guess it heals. And Lucario's, even with max aura, isn't significantly stronger than Samus', and with no aura it is horrible.

Samus' is the fastest in the air (significantly, and it makes a difference for sure) and has setups/tech chases unlike the others, but no aerial charge. Charge isn't horrible compared to WFT/Lucario's, and a lot better than Mewtwo's.

Nothing new but might as well post it

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I tested yesterday and jab and dtilt have almost the exact same range. It sounds insane, cuz we all know dtilt has really good range... But go try it. I guess it's the same thing with ftilt, where its range gets extended by Samus leaning forward. I wonder how the range on her jab stacks up to other characters.
It would be cool if someone were to make a hurtbox video. I've thought about it for sometime now, but I'm finishing up this combo vid and will lie low for a bit after that since these are a lot of work. You can test the disjointedness and hurtbox extension with bumpers in training mode. Particularly important is the disjoint on f-smash, which while it does extend the hurtbox forward and has visual + frame problems, is still a reasonable disjoint. Particularly relevant to the cloud matchup, as I continue to murder clouds with down-angled f-smash. I also continue to see pros not take advantage of his ledge grab hurtbox, I'm mystified as to why. He's literally the easiest in the game to hit on ledge snap.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I'm also gonna copy paste some stuff comparing chargeable projectiles I tested in training because why not

Speed is speed in the air. Ranges are rough estimates. KO is the percent that it kills Mario at the edge of FD (full charge).

Lucario is split up by no aura/max aura numbers. Can hold means it doesn't automatically store the projectile once it's done, so Mewtwo and Lucario can just hold before releasing. Which I guess kind of bypasses start up time but idk if it matters that much.

Charge Shot--
Speed 1st
Range 1.5 FD
Damage 25
KO 73
Charge time 3rd
Aerial Charge--No
Can hold--No

Sun Salutation--
Speed 3rd
Range 1.25 FD
Damage 18
KO 102
Charge time T1st
Aerial Charge--Yes
Can hold-No

Aura Sphere--
Speed 2nd
Range 1 FD
Damage 14/25
KO 173/68
Charge time T1st
Aerial charge--Yes
Can hold--Yes

Shadow Ball--
Speed 4th
Range 1.25 FD
Damage 26
KO 73
Charge time 4th
Aerial charge--Yes
Can hold--Yes

A few things, Mewtwo's shadow ball is slow, charging and after its released. That combined with no setups/tech chases makes me think it's the weakest. Biggest plus he has is his reflector, so he can reflect it back. Same strength on hit as Samus though.

WFT's KOs late but can get it easily... And I guess it heals. And Lucario's, even with max aura, isn't significantly stronger than Samus', and with no aura it is horrible.

Samus' is the fastest in the air (significantly, and it makes a difference for sure) and has setups/tech chases unlike the others, but no aerial charge. Charge isn't horrible compared to WFT/Lucario's, and a lot better than Mewtwo's.

Keep in mind that Shadow Ball has much lower endlag. This makes it much better when it comes to continuing pressure, as well as giving uncharged shots much more utility (especially with the movement buff). Charge Shot is more of a "finisher" after a string of pressure, and there's also missiles that help Samus conserve her charge.

Aura Sphere has the worst endlag, and it's knockback isn't that strong even with aura... but it does have charging damage.

I consider Charge Shot and Shadow Ball to be equal; they both compliment the character using them. The fast startup and speed of Charge Shot is crucial for Samus's pressure game, while the air charging and low endlag of Shadow Ball meshes with Mewtwo's bait-and-punish style.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
You guys should also look at jump canceling the charge shot, Samus seems to be the only one who can jump immediately out of charge by canceling the shield input with jump (that's charging > shield> jump). Samus can do this so fast it's literally seemless, with everyone else it's clunky or nonexistent.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Charge Shot--
Speed 1st
Range 1.5 FD
Damage 25
KO 73
Charge time 3rd
Aerial Charge--No
Can hold--No

Sun Salutation--
Speed 3rd
Range 1.25 FD
Damage 18
KO 102
Charge time T1st
Aerial Charge--Yes
Can hold-No

Aura Sphere--
Speed 2nd
Range 1 FD
Damage 14/25
KO 173/68
Charge time T1st
Aerial charge--Yes
Can hold--Yes

Shadow Ball--
Speed 4th
Range 1.25 FD
Damage 26
KO 73
Charge time 4th
Aerial charge--Yes
Can hold--Yes

Is sun salutation a bit stronger with deep breathing? I thought it was but I haven't tested it.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Also quick question about Cloud, if he starts off charging Limit Break is it better to rush him down or just Charge up yourself?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Also quick question about Cloud, if he starts off charging Limit Break is it better to rush him down or just Charge up yourself?
Depends on percentage and amount of limit break left to charge. Right at the beginning? Easily, you want to get your CS. Plus it hurts his aerial combo game. If he is around 70% (prime gimp percent), you don't want to let him get the better recovery move. If he just whiffed at high percent, you should still charge up CS because it gives you a kill move and a shield pressure move without him even getting a full charge. Like all things, it's situation dependent.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
It would be cool if someone were to make a hurtbox video. I've thought about it for sometime now, but I'm finishing up this combo vid and will lie low for a bit after that since these are a lot of work. You can test the disjointedness and hurtbox extension with bumpers in training mode. Particularly important is the disjoint on f-smash, which while it does extend the hurtbox forward and has visual + frame problems, is still a reasonable disjoint. Particularly relevant to the cloud matchup, as I continue to murder clouds with down-angled f-smash. I also continue to see pros not take advantage of his ledge grab hurtbox, I'm mystified as to why. He's literally the easiest in the game to hit on ledge snap.
I don't have a video, but just general hurtbox stuff I found on bumpers. Some stuff was surprising, other stuff wasn't.
First, I had been under the impression for a long time that Samus' arm cannon was a hurtbox... Turns out it isn't, which affects Grabs, Dtilt, Fsmash, Usmash, Fair, Dair, side b, neutral b.

The biggest culprit or reason for Samus' noticeable hurtboxes is her big shoulder that she extends in a lot of moves, all of the ones listed above except Dair and Usmash. So Usmash is pretty much totally disjointed above Samus throughout, and Dair is... Maybe I'm stupid, but I had no clue--that's a big disjoint. Her hurtbox (head and torso) curls up during most of the move/protected by the hitbox, so in general she is hard to hit during the move. The only issue is it's a Dair, moves which by design are not that effective in gameplay. Despite the extended shoulder in several moves, though, the disjointed arm cannon is still in front of it ("protecting" it).

Oh, and Jab 1 and Jab 2 actually have really big disjoints. I had no idea. For both moves, the hurtbox is on the shoulder, which is really cool because Jab 1 and especially Jab 2's hitboxes extend well past her shoulder.

The startup of dash grab extends Samus' leg a ton, which is definitely a hurtbox and is definitely noticeable (the shoulder actually moves back at startup unlike most moves, but is mitigated by the leg extension). Standing and pivot grabs, in contrast, keep her legs stationary while extending her shoulder.

Fair has a sizable disjoint, since the explosions and arm cannon are disjointed. Her shoulder is the most likely hurtbox to get hit, especially since the disjoints retract and the shoulder extends between explosive bursts, but on aerials it isn't as big of a deal, and the move is still really safe against opponents diagonally in front of and above.

So fsmash, the disjoint is big... Bigger than I thought. I thought Samus' hurtbox extended all the way to the tip of her arm cannon and even beyond, since I have seen stuff like this happen, but it turns out the only hurtboxes present in the animation are her legs and shoulders, once again. This move is pretty interesting. At startup, Samus retracts her torso a lot, except her leg, which stays in place but is very low profile/probably a nonfactor unless the opponent is using a dsmash/dtilt. Then she extends back with her hurtbox first, past where she was initially, and then the hitbox comes out well past her hurtbox. The retraction at the beginning, like all retracting moves, catches a lot of opponents. The (momentary) hurtbox extension past her starting point is probably the issue we see with this move the most, but then the hitbox extends way past that (and quickly). If you use this move while standing close to the opponent and they start a dumb invincible Usmash (Mario), then after retracting, you will extend your hurtbox past where you were into the Usmash's hitbox, which will not care about the hitbox on Fsmash and just kill you. That's the biggest issue we see with the move, but outside that, the move has good range, and the disjoint is pretty big.. In endlag Samus keeps her hurtbox extended for several frames after the hitbox ends, which is kind of bad as well. And the hitbox range is super deceptive (not as much as it looks like), so be careful, but in spite of that the range is still good.

There's a really tiny disjoint on nair at the tip, really small. Only thing on specials is that the arm cannon is disjointed on missiles and CS.

Other unsurprising stuff: Dtilt, grapples are super disjointed, no disjoints on ftilt, utilt, dsmash, uair, bair, nair (mostly).

Xygonn Xygonn with Deep Breathing SS kills about 15% later than CS.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Vyrnx said:
I don't have a video, but just general hurtbox stuff I found on bumpers. Some stuff was surprising, other stuff wasn't.
Yeah, the surprising things that even Samus mains with lots of playtime don't realize: that's why I still think we need a video :p
The really hard to grasp one is the hitstun animation, every pixel is meticulously a hurtbox, as she lurches backwards the leg extends forward and even her toe can be hit.

First, I had been under the impression for a long time that Samus' arm cannon was a hurtbox... Turns out it isn't, which affects Grabs, Dtilt, Fsmash, Usmash, Fair, Dair, side b, neutral b.
Ah ah, be careful there. The arm cannon is not a hurtbox on grab until you actually start to grab something. You can see this with a bumper between you and a target. So without actually grabbing, you're not going to get reflected - but succeed in the grab and BAM. It's very, very stupid. I highlighted this in the community patch request video specifically because it drives me nuts.

Keep in mind that disjoints are only good relative to other disjoints and hurtboxes. So try out Mario's f-smash, jab, up-smash on a bumper for fun. Or bowser's tilts.
Up-smash may look very disjointed, but it loses to mario's d-air 9 times out of 10, despite his plain old foot not being a sword. He really should have swords, because his stubby little limbs behave like them.

It is regardless a really good exercise to know the hurtboxes, we spend a tremendous amount of time on hitboxes, but hurtboxes are very relevant.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Played a Megaman in tournament today and discovered 2 things. First Going Light Suit makes it difficult for the Megaman to see when you pick up his metal blade (less effective if you have sound), second his Up Air doesn't knock you out of free fall, so he can potentially Up Air you forever if you whiff an Up B oos (unless this was just a glitch or something). Be Careful!

Also after playing some Cloud's I'd say it's not in our favour, he was far superior range and frame data and the edgeguarding isn't enough to make up for it imo

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hey, do you guys have any tips on getting back to the ledge against a marth edge-guard? My friends marth can gimp me so easily and ill get hit 6-7 times before i can even snap to the ledge. He likes to hang from the ledge and use Bair, Dair, and dolphin slash at all the right times to keep me away.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
JAZZ_ JAZZ_ If you're trying to recover in tether range, missile, regular homing variety, is often the only answer. You have to toss it out fairly early in a rising jump or you commit suicide. It is quite safe to recover low, very low against Marth, with walljump if possible since his d-air is garbage tier. Breaking the tendency to stay in the range of a tether option, is hard - I know this happens to me regularly as well and it's a bad habit I can't seem to kick.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
JAZZ_ JAZZ_ If you're trying to recover in tether range, missile, regular homing variety, is often the only answer. You have to toss it out fairly early in a rising jump or you commit suicide. It is quite safe to recover low, very low against Marth, with walljump if possible since his d-air is garbage tier. Breaking the tendency to stay in the range of a tether option, is hard - I know this happens to me regularly as well and it's a bad habit I can't seem to kick.
He covers a low low get up with a drop down dolphin slash, itll punch through screw attack. The homing missile is a good idea, risky biscuits, but still a good idea.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Hey, do you guys have any tips on getting back to the ledge against a marth edge-guard? My friends marth can gimp me so easily and ill get hit 6-7 times before i can even snap to the ledge. He likes to hang from the ledge and use Bair, Dair, and dolphin slash at all the right times to keep me away.
Are you air dodging? I find that air dodge is helpful in this situation, so long as the marth doesn't read your air dodge like a pro. And, you can air from your air dodge whenever to tether. Or you can try to come in low and then double jump fair to catch him as he comes down.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Are you air dodging? I find that air dodge is helpful in this situation, so long as the marth doesn't read your air dodge like a pro. And, you can air from your air dodge whenever to tether. Or you can try to come in low and then double jump fair to catch him as he comes down.
He's very good at reading airdodges. in fact when i air dodged against him, he'd simply dolphin slash back to the ledge hitting me again in the process. Going low seems ideal here, relying on airdodges will only create more openings for him to exploit. Its just getting past his lighting quick ledge release Bair and Nair and dolphin slash thats the tricky part.
I still tend to win matches against him once im safely grounded, but his ledge guarding is costing me way too many stocks to not figure out a way around it.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Bomb stalling can help too, if you make him mistime anything he can't regrab ledge without being vulnerable to your up b

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I feel like bombs at the ledge are important in the cloud matchup

Top Bottom