• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Its similar to how toon link can put down a fire arrow as an obstacle in front of him

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hmm, using the bombs for spacing makes sense for me, and I've been working and experimenting with that a lot. The part that confused me is why they landed specifically on top of the bomb. Yeah, they were able to time it (most of the time, at least) with landing lag/move lag so that they weren't forced into morph ball, which is useful (especially since I sometime clip the edge of the hit box while retreating or whatever), but they gave their opponent back all the approach options they originally took away by placing the bomb in the first place when they occupied the hitbox like that. At least, that's what it feels like to me. My impression so far is that bombs are most effective because they occupy a space you're not in (with no hurtbox), allowing you to control that space and your opponent's movement/approach options. I hope that makes sense... :S

---

Also, to keep this relevant to the point of this thread, shofu did some For Glory matches with Samus as part of a series. I've seen many people just post links, instead of embedding the vid, plus some vid threads specifically request posting the link rather than embedding. Is this better forum etiquette?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZGdmCPR9Y

DoubtComplex

Smash Rookie
Hmm, using the bombs for spacing makes sense for me, and I've been working and experimenting with that a lot. The part that confused me is why they landed specifically on top of the bomb. Yeah, they were able to time it (most of the time, at least) with landing lag/move lag so that they weren't forced into morph ball, which is useful (especially since I sometime clip the edge of the hit box while retreating or whatever), but they gave their opponent back all the approach options they originally took away by placing the bomb in the first place when they occupied the hitbox like that. At least, that's what it feels like to me. My impression so far is that bombs are most effective because they occupy a space you're not in (with no hurtbox), allowing you to control that space and your opponent's movement/approach options. I hope that makes sense... :S

---

Also, to keep this relevant to the point of this thread, shofu did some For Glory matches with Samus as part of a series. I've seen many people just post links, instead of embedding the vid, plus some vid threads specifically request posting the link rather than embedding. Is this better forum etiquette?
I'm gonna assume you're referencing the video A2ZOMG linked with the Japanese samus (best smash4 samus play ive seen anywhere) as i respond to this. The merit to standing on the bomb is that it provides you with a mixup situation where your opponent has to fear not only the bomb but all the options you have up close and midrange like jab(downb explosion)throw mixup/shield pokes/etc that are now being covered by the bomb hitbox to extend pressure. When you place a bomb and back away you are just gaining space to setup (great if that's what you need) but not actually threatening your opponent at all. The JP player uses both of these methods pretty well.

Conda

---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZGdmCPR9Y
I think a lot of us know about that video. Shofu isn't too great at samus and there's not much to learn from them (he plays all sorts of characters to make videos like these). It's also just For Glory shenanigans. It's basically not too helpful as it's not close to high level play, but it is entertaining. :)

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this player is playing Samus quite differently, really alien to watch for me. At the moment I've been using missiles to just change the way I'm falling and recover, this has shown me how useful they can be for fighting. I spend a lot of time on the ledge, and I use bair a lot. This player seems to never use bair. Really bizarre how they never seem bothered about following their opponent off the edge to get a kill, they are happy to just land a few more downB's and slowly clock up the damage. It's like leisurely chipping away at the opponent, all the time in the world, never too bothered about when the kill will come.

EDIT: But yeah, any speakers of Japanese know what the voice is saying? There's something odd about it, is the player listening to poetry or an audiobook or something?!

EDIT again: Apologies for all the edits but wow, those first two fights have got me excited about Samus again! A new move to add to my arsenal! I also realised, the voice is probably the player giving a commentary... that would make sense haha

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, this player is playing Samus quite differently, really alien to watch for me. At the moment I've been using missiles to just change the way I'm falling and recover, this has shown me how useful they can be for fighting. I spend a lot of time on the ledge, and I use bair a lot. This player seems to never use bair. Really bizarre how they never seem bothered about following their opponent off the edge to get a kill, they are happy to just land a few more downB's and slowly clock up the damage. It's like leisurely chipping away at the opponent, all the time in the world, never too bothered about when the kill will come.

EDIT: But yeah, any speakers of Japanese know what the voice is saying? There's something odd about it, is the player listening to poetry or an audiobook or something?!

EDIT again: Apologies for all the edits but wow, those first two fights have got me excited about Samus again! A new move to add to my arsenal! I also realised, the voice is probably the player giving a commentary... that would make sense haha
I don't fully understand it myself, but some Japanese do use these tools that mechanically provide spoken words for them, maybe while they are typing? Hopefully it's not just simply a voice editing tool. But basically, the player is giving his impressions of matches while they are being played. You can easily recognize him saying "Charge Shot" for instance.

Also, if anything, I thought this Samus player edgeguarded very well. He picked his options well for controlling his opponent's recovery, and was able to confirm KOs in several key moments as a result.

Last edited:

DoubtComplex

Smash Rookie
The voice you are hearing is likely just a program that reads chat comments for the streamer, its used commonly on niconico so that's my best guess.

There is definitely a lot to learn from that video, i love the way he mixes up his ledge recovery with grapple beam cancels.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
had to clear my SD card of replays so here's a combo video thing

I take it drop zone charged shot works when you fall with your opponent at a roughly lower altitude? That looks cool. And very unexpected at that, contrary to how deadly it is. I need to start doing that more often.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I take it drop zone charged shot works when you fall with your opponent at a roughly lower altitude? That looks cool. And very unexpected at that, contrary to how deadly it is. I need to start doing that more often.
tbh just let it rip when it feels right

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
There is definitely a lot to learn from that video, i love the way he mixes up his ledge recovery with grapple beam cancels.
I was a little worried that Samus was going to struggle in the long run against some of the more popular characters, but this has made it clear that there is still lots of potential with her. I made a mistake in my earlier message, I said how at the moment I only use MISSILES to help me recover, I was meant to say downB, not sideB.

Having said all that, I don't think this video is the pinacle, I think Samus can get even better than this! For example, this guy misses a lot of Charge Shots and doesn't hold onto them for mindgames. He seems to panic and fire them early every time. If you had a fully charged B ready to fire and you were controlling the game with downB and air grapple... well, it's just scary to think of the potential. Even if you never actually fired the charge shot, the opponent would **** their pants. Their options would be so limited that they'd be frozen in shield.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I think this Samus was really interesting, and I really like the playstyle, but there were 2 things really apparent in this video:

(1) the greninja in particular didn't challenge enough with aerials (the one time they really did, with n air, they broke though and were able to temporarily take the advantage and put Samus over the edge). Samus is completely vulnerable while setting a bomb. Get a good read and catch her doing this, and you get a free hit. Let's say you get a bad read, and Samus responds with z air instead of setting a bomb. She needs to sweet spot to get knockback, and the hit box is small. The amount of damage is small, and you have a decent chance of getting through with your aerial and doing more damage, especially as a fast char like greninja. What other options could the Samus player use? U air? U tilt? U Smash? F air is problematic, due especially to the landing lag.

(2) Being able to transition from defensive to offensive is a critical skill. This Samus player was not able to do this effectively, which meant the duck hunt player was able to successfully stall out the match and win in sudden death.

I dunno. I really enjoyed watching the video, and I'm pretty excited and exploring these possibilities. Has anybody else been exploring a style like this, and has videos or impressions to share?

Conda

Big bomb custom is looking really good and would help immensely with that playstyle (using bomb as an approach deterrent or approach buddy).

Slip bomb removes post-bomb mobility a lot and doesn't stay out long enough to provide spatial control. It's a good close range attack but is unsafe due to end lag and low movement, so I'm not really feeling slip bomb as a result.

The large bomb is threatening damage wise and has high movement mobility after you poop out the bomb.

Btw, more Samus:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G99HoeCbZoI

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell

Wow. That Samus is incredible. Anyone know who that is?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow. That Samus is incredible. Anyone know who that is?
I can't find any older footage of the Samus, who calls himself DS3.

I found this person has a profile on a Japanese blogging community called smashterra. I don't know if this link is accessible to people that haven't registered, but I did find this person.

http://sns.prtls.jp/smashterra/home.html?id=1290

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
He definitely has a unique play style that I could learn a lot from. I'd be curious to see if anyone on here have seen any other sm4sh samus players of that calibur. If you have videos, even better. Get your videos recorded today, since after tomorrow, they'll be blocked.

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
He definitely has a unique play style that I could learn a lot from. I'd be curious to see if anyone on here have seen any other sm4sh samus players of that calibur. If you have videos, even better. Get your videos recorded today, since after tomorrow, they'll be blocked.
I don't think we have seen any Samus players that plays like him before.

It's just so fresh. Maybe he's the first one who discovered this usefulness of Samus's bomb.

Last edited:

Conda

I don't think we have seen any Samus players that plays like him before.

It's just so fresh. Maybe he's the first one who discovered this usefulness of Samus's bomb.
Please keep in mind these were just a couple matches. The bombs may be not as big a deterrent in the growing metagame as those videos make it seem.

Last edited:

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I agree, I can't get the same mileage out of bombs as he can. Honestly, I'm most impressed with his dropzone uncharged shot -> double jump fair trap for offstage kills.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been doing this kind of stuff for years. js

In all seriousness it is refreshing to see someone else do it rather than the usual "I wouldashouldacoulda done this" nitpicking.

That F-air trap is indeed plenty sexy.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I agree, I can't get the same mileage out of bombs as he can. Honestly, I'm most impressed with his dropzone uncharged shot -> double jump fair trap for offstage kills.
Yeah, I've started incorporating that combo. Works pretty well. As far as the bombs, I agree, I haven't had the same success with them as he has. I did end up adopting some of his bomb practices like double/triple bomb drop near the edge for additional pressure towards recovering opponents. Also, when another player is going heavy aggro, Bomb-Drop>DI backwards>Grab. It pulls them into the bomb to get an additional few percent. I've also incorporated more bomb-jumps for mind games when falling to avoid some uairs. Definitely some good stuff from his play.

Doeboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scottzar
had to clear my SD card of replays so here's a combo video thing

Wow man, this is awesome! Great combos and great kills. Definitely got me re-pumped to main Samus in the Wii U version. All the Rosaluma hype had me scared for a while but you basically made me realize I don't have to be worried one bit :)

cox1121

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how to do the tether canceling from the vid? Would be great if someone could explain it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Looks to me like they just immediately "drop" off the ledge and then jump. It's more of a fake-out than an actual tech.

Also, since replays up until this point are no longer playable, I went ahead and recorded some of them. Will upload soon.

cox1121

Smash Cadet
nah...he's canceling it somehow...i initially thought the same, but it doesn't work. He's doing something. He has a couple vids on youtube and he cancels it out sometimes to a powershot and whatever input he's doing, he's doing it fast.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I'm sure everyone probably already knew this, but I was amazed when I found out: you can cancel an air dodge by grappling.

http://youtu.be/EDNO31d9-0EE
http://youtu.be/Qeht8TIOIl8
I'm working on getting some videos up. The first few are some crappy phone recordings from a few weeks ago. I'm kind of horrible, but bear with me guys ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
This one of my first matches since I just started playing Samus seriously. Im the normal Samus. I noticed that I rolled too much for my liking and did some unsafe stuff but I can only improve from here.

Samus vs Samus: http://youtu.be/ZWOCZ8R09Ng

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Zero playing Samus

This style of Samus is the one mine closest resembles. Samus' new dash pivot homing missile technique is very strong. It not only allows you more space while simultaneously giving you a missile, but its also keeps Samus ahead of enemy dodge's. It also enable her to punish enemy rolls more readily. I love that he was mixing in standing power missiles and uncharged shots to halt advances and continue the pressure. Good stuff.

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
Here's some vids of me for you guys to critique. It was at a pretty stacked central Florida tourny. Top players from most of Florida's regions. I got fourth. I think Samus has potential, but lack of kill setups makes her bad and Sonic, Diddy, and Sheik are busted. I find all other matchups completely fine(so far). Next patch please...

VS Hrnut(Shulk+ Robin) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWlIGqUY3U&list=UUoUIoZR2oltpJ34MHbuB3iw

VS Static Manny(best Sonic in brawl) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b05UMfWTBDs&list=UUoUIoZR2oltpJ34MHbuB3iw

VS Jerms(Sheik) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUyz7Bg-vBA&list=UUoUIoZR2oltpJ34MHbuB3iw

VS Ryo(Best Ike in late brawl) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eqY36lZuU&list=UUoUIoZR2oltpJ34MHbuB3iw

Last edited:

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
Here's a match I had with Megaman earlier in For Glory. I'm still getting used to Samus but I feel Megaman has an advantage over Samus in mid range and other ways.

http://youtu.be/7sn7VX_eCVA

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I will post a bunch of for glory matches either tonight or tomorrow, I'll update this post with the vids when I do.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Still need to find a more reliable way to record, but for the time being (somehow slipped my mind to post these as soon as I uploaded them), here are some 3DS/FG vids. Apologies again in advance for the granola quality (and my sick voice/breathing)

-

And these were saved/recorded for the hell of it, due to salty Mac players immediately trying to counterpick reflector = gg Spamus.

-

Will try to get some decent quality/irl Wii U matches recorded soon.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Here are a few vids from for glory:
Some really cool moments in your fights. Samus looks amazing on the Wii U. Wii Fit Trainer sounds hilarious in USA, here in UK he's got an English accent. I wish they'd given Pit and Palutena English accents over here too, those two get on my **** with their cheesy disney ******** voices.

EDIT: apologies for the unnecessary swearing and rudeness, I hope no one took it seriously or was offended. People in USA had to listen to Shulk with a south-east England accent. Also, Nintendo obviously shouldn't have to hire different voice actors for different versions of the same language. I guess they just did for Wii Fit because people were already used to hearing Wii Fit a certain way. I'll stop talking now. Thread hijack aborted.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Was wondering if anyone had tips for my Samus. Any major mistakes in my play?
The main thing I'd advise against is overusing F-Smash a lot, much less charging it. It's a great move for punishing and reads, but if you whiff it, and they're in close proximity, you will get punished heavily for it. Same for Dash Attack.

Another thing I picked up on was your recovery/ing tending to be a bit predictable, which led to your first death. Against characters with good aerial mobility/recovery (especially when Shulk uses Jump), and better than average range on their aerials, it's dangerous both to stall with Bomb jumping and recover with Z-air from far.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Hi guys, I thought I played well these two games, For Glory matches:

I especially like my movement, bomb placement (I make one mistake where I bomb towards him and take damage), the patience to switch to missile spam once he activates Shield monado, then switch up and get right back in there to catch him off guard, the pivot charge Fsmash to punish roll, etc.

This one I liked how for the most part I didn't let Yoshi get within the airspace he likes, my shield traps were working for me and my full hop fast fall z-airs seemed to be pretty effective at shutting him down.

and here's two separate occasions of my favorite thing to do in this game: offstage fadeaway chargeshot

Some observations looking back at this now and my playstyle, I think bombs aren't as bad/useless as I thought, it's just a different use than we speculated. You can't use them to escape juggles or get out of danger or whatever, they don't really work that way. You use them when you already have space/advantage to create pressure/limit movement. For me they feel more offensive than defensive tools.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Ah just when I think I've learnt all of Samus' tricks i come here and see I've still got lots to learn. Particularly fast fall zair (looks like it does well vs yoshi, a character i typically struggle with), bomb spacing and off stage Charge Shot.

Keep the vids coming! I'll try to upload some of my own soon

Top Bottom