• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Hi! I really hope this is the right place to post. :S

I'm looking for advice on how to play smarter. Here is an example. The other person is my friend who's been playing a bit longer than I have been, but we're roughly on the same level (noob). This is the second of 2 matches, and I lost both.

I want to win. :-/

Hi,

I think the problem is that you don't use any smash and air attacks. Smash attacks are when you press A button and pull the circle pad up,down,forward,back at the same time

Don't forget to shield too (since i don't see a lot of defense here) and grab him with L button then throw away if he's shielding while standing close to you

Last edited:

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice

I'm looking for advice on how to play smarter. Here is an example. The other person is my friend who's been playing a bit longer than I have been, but we're roughly on the same level (noob). This is the second of 2 matches, and I lost both.

I can tell you're a good Samus player, but this was a good Lucario too, so it was partially the match-up that got you, but there are some other things. And yes, I would say this is the right place! I'm not quite maining Samus because Sheik is so good and Samus is probably not top tier, but for some reason my numbers with Samus are really good, like an 80% winrate with her on a personal 2/3rds winrate overall in 1 on 1.

You're relying on a few moves I really don't use much. Samus' jab is absolute garbage - you can grab or tilt before the second hit connects, and most people do, so I don't recommend using it as much as you did. You can use it safely against people that don't have a way to contest it when they land, but that's rare, and still just very risky for a total of like 13 damage. At 3:30 you missed a perfect chance to unleash charge shot as soon as he up-bd, but instead you went for a screw attack. That move is much better this iteration, but you definitely don't want to use it so often to contest landing. You also definitely don't want to use that against Lucario's down aerial (very strong move.) So again when people are landing is a great time to use your built up charge shot, since it's such a scary time in this game, just don't be too predictable about it, that'll get a reflect or some ****.

You need to check your aggression a little more. When you lay it on thick, your opponent will pick up on this and start using really safe, defensive moves. Most players will get a little desperate at this point, and so you need to work on waiting them out. I.E. baiting a dash attack and then rolling and grabbing, or charge-shot firing. As Kamus mentioned, you need to be using shield and smashes a little more often.

As far as spacing goes, in mid to close range, don't roll towards or away from your opponent, shield and be ready to spot-dodge, but don't panic. When landing (and this is what caught you at the end) land as far away from your opponent as possible, and if you see them rushing towards you, move towards them and air dodge so you're safe from a dash attack or an up-smash.

Ultimately though, you play Samus well. It's good to use rockets to create a wall between you and your opponent, but it's even better when you can dictate how either one of you crosses that wall. That dash attack, like so many others in this game, is pretty good. It's safe, and if you space it properly, you'll go past someone who is shielded so they can't grab you as easily, just remember that it doesn't have a hitbox on startup, so you can't use it in such close quarters. You're also doing something really smart which is staying away (for the most part) from Lucario's down aerials.

Now, take all this with a grain of salt, because this is all just from my own personal experience, and watching your video. As much as I say, I'm definitely not the best Samus player here on the forums, but I hope at least some of this stuff is useful to you!

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet

There are a few problems, Ill try to list them all and how to fix them.

1. You're really really predictable. UpB when he approaches from above is good when they don't expect it, but generally it is unsafe all around. If you miss them then you're in free fall and its free damage for them. Instead if you see him coming down, do an Upsmash or intercept him before he attacks with an Uair(prob not the best option.) If Lucarios aerials are faster than yours, shield and grab him when he touches the ground.
2. Half of the match was you 2 charging your lazers. Force him to approach you by using missiles at a safe distance away(if you are too close hell hit you because missiles have quite a bit of ending lag.) I generally don't charge my beam unless they are off stage recovering or something.
3. At 2:47 you used Fair right when you landed for whatever reason. Fair has crazy end lag if it isn't from full hop distance. Don't use your aerials to approach in general.
4. Hit them where they are going to END UP, not where they currently are. There were quite a few instances where you tried to hit Lucario and he just dodged out of the way.
5. Your missile pressure is pretty good, I would suggest throwing in a few dash grabs. You can grab, down throw, and do a few Uair's or Fairs for combos.
6. At 4:30 Im not sure what you were trying to go for, but people have invincibility for a few seconds after respawn so don't try to UpB it.
7. Samus's aerials are pretty bad in this game but Uair and Bair are pretty good. Fair is only good when you're high enough off the ground.

Overall I think you can definitely beat your friend with a few tweaks.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Allright. A few big flaws I'm noticing.
1: You REALLY abused that charge shot, always releasing it early too. You got lucky with it a few times, as your opponent did not use his options to dodge/shield it, but you shouldn't be using charge beams unless you're sure you can hit it, it's your only hope, or you're trying to play mindgames(getting them anxious the next time you have it charged up). Avoid that itchy trigger finger at all costs.
2: Screw attacks are risky and only meant as KO move or recovery. You CAN punish with it quite well in some situations, but you're using it in situations where Uair would've dealt the same damage, while also setting you up for some juggling, while being safer.
3: Don't jab. Ever. I know, I do it all the time too because you'd EXPECT it to work, but you'll put yourself in danger everytime, even if it hits. I prefer Dtilt(relatively hard to punish, and has actual hitstun with a disjointed hitbox) or backwards shorthop to missile. At higher percents, an Ftilt may be safe too.
4: Your missile use wasn't actually that flawed, but remember to use different ones at different ranges. You should ALWAYS use Super Missiles at close range if you're going to fire missiles anyways. You really want that extra damage and hitstun. Also, Super Missiles travel further, so when you're too far away to actually hit them with homing missiles, throw out a Super Missile every now and then to keep them on their toes.
5: Pivot grabs are Samus' best friend. It works wonders against people who roll alot, like this Lucario.

You're being a pretty decent brick wall, but walls don't have a very good offense, and that's where you're lacking most. Drop the over-reliance on dealing damage with screw attacks, jabs, and charge beams, and then you'll be a wall with turrets attached to it.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I want to thank you all for responding. I'm trying out the new strategy ideas now, and while the transition is a little rough, I'm adjusting to the new options. When I said earlier I was a noob, I totally meant it. I'm still building hand-eye coordination so that I can actually execute the commands I want instead of fat-fingering the wrong moves--the circle pad is especially rough, and results in too many SD's. :(

Here's what I gleaned from the posts above, please correct any mistakes I might have made:

tl;dr Focused defense, smarter offense, no more up+b, jabs, and reduce charge beam usage.

From @ kamus_aran kamus_aran :

Smash and air attacks

Shield More - Be ready with that defense ^_^

From @ Colin Steele Colin Steele :

Don’t use Samus’s jab (opponent can grab or tilt before the 2nd hit connects)

- Review footage - 3:30 - Need to practice timing use of charge beam effectively

Use charge shot over up+b to contest aerials

Less aggressive more defensive (same advice as above)
- Waiting out my opponent (make them desperate)
- Example idea: bait a dash attack, respond by rolling and grabbing or firing charge shot.

Spacing:
- Mid/Close Range - Don’t roll: shield and be ready to spot-dodge (clarification, please? what do you mean by spot-dodge?)
- Landing: move as far away from the opponent as possible
- Landing: if they’re rushing towards me, move towards them and air dodge for safety from a dash attack or up-smash (recovering from high distances is something I’m working on. I tend to tense up and press buttons randomly, which has messed me up by limiting my recovery options)
- Good to use rockets to create a wall: Improve by learning how to control how my opponent crosses that wall
- Learn to space properly for dash attack - No hitbox on startup (not good for close quarters). Works well paired with missile wall

From @ Y YourOpinionIs :

Reduce predictability

Up+B: Good when unexpected, but risky
- A miss gives them a free hit
- Alternatives: upsmash, intercept with uair (also risky though — probably not best against lucario’s dair as well), if opponent is faster, shield and grab when he lands
- Use missiles from a safe distance to force an approach (spacing is important because too close means I’ll suffer a hit due to wind down)

Review footage 2:47 - Guess you mean 3:47 - Understood. Will watch out for using slow ending aerial attacks

Don’t use aerials to approach

Properly time/space attacks to hit where they’ll end, not where they are currently.

Good missile pressure, recommend throwing in dash grabs (similar to earlier recommendation)
- Down throw + uair/fair for combos

Don’t forget basic mechanics -.- period of invulnerability (am over-eager to get back to smashing, lol)

Be careful with Samus’s aerials
- Practice using uair/bair
- Fair only good when high enough off the ground

From @ SmashWolf SmashWolf :

Over-used (?) charge shot - Use it only when you’re sure it’ll hit/only hope/mindgames

Use less up+B (seeing a pattern here -.-)
- Alternative - uair to set up juggling/being safer

No jabs - punishable
- Alternative - dtilt (hard to punish, hitstun + disjointed hitbox)
- Alternative - back shorthop to missile
- Alternative - high percents only - ftilt

Use different missiles at different ranges
- Use super missiles at close range for extra damage and hitstun
- Intermix super missiles when my opponent is out of range of homing missiles for greater pressure (will have to work on better consistency on this)

Use pivot grabs, especially against rollers

I also have a few more vids--matches with @Valzy this time--that we'd really like to share and get more critique on, but I don't want to flood this thread with low quality play if that's not welcome. Thanks for reading and watching. :D

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet
I want to thank you all for responding. I'm trying out the new strategy ideas now, and while the transition is a little rough, I'm adjusting to the new options. When I said earlier I was a noob, I totally meant it. I'm still building hand-eye coordination so that I can actually execute the commands I want instead of fat-fingering the wrong moves--the circle pad is especially rough, and results in too many SD's. :(

Here's what I gleaned from the posts above, please correct any mistakes I might have made:

tl;dr Focused defense, smarter offense, no more up+b, jabs, and reduce charge beam usage.

Smash and air attacks

- Review footage - 3:30 - Need to practice timing use of charge beam effectively

- Example idea: bait a dash attack, respond by rolling and grabbing or firing charge shot.

Spacing:
- Mid/Close Range - Don’t roll: shield and be ready to spot-dodge (clarification, please? what do you mean by spot-dodge?)
- Landing: if they’re rushing towards me, move towards them and air dodge for safety from a dash attack or up-smash (recovering from high distances is something I’m working on. I tend to tense up and press buttons randomly, which has messed me up by limiting my recovery options)
- Good to use rockets to create a wall: Improve by learning how to control how my opponent crosses that wall
- Learn to space properly for dash attack - No hitbox on startup (not good for close quarters). Works well paired with missile wall

From @ Y YourOpinionIs :

Reduce predictability

- Alternatives: upsmash, intercept with uair (also risky though — probably not best against lucario’s dair as well), if opponent is faster, shield and grab when he lands
- Use missiles from a safe distance to force an approach (spacing is important because too close means I’ll suffer a hit due to wind down)

Review footage 2:47 - Guess you mean 3:47 - Understood. Will watch out for using slow ending aerial attacks

Properly time/space attacks to hit where they’ll end, not where they are currently.

Good missile pressure, recommend throwing in dash grabs (similar to earlier recommendation)

Don’t forget basic mechanics -.- period of invulnerability (am over-eager to get back to smashing, lol)

Over-used (?) charge shot - Use it only when you’re sure it’ll hit/only hope/mindgames

No jabs - punishable

- Intermix super missiles when my opponent is out of range of homing missiles for greater pressure (will have to work on better consistency on this)

I also have a few more vids--matches with @Valzy this time--that we'd really like to share and get more critique on, but I don't want to flood this thread with low quality play if that's not welcome. Thanks for reading and watching. :D
I don't think anyone would mind, we're here to help and learn so feel free to post more videos

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice

Smash and air attacks

Spacing:

From @ Y YourOpinionIs :

Reduce predictability

No jabs - punishable

If you take all this to heart, you'll be rockin' the bounty hunter queen in no time. Just don't get frustrated when you're playing against a legitimately good top tier character like Sheik or ZSS etc. While a tier list is far from being cemented into the Sm4sh community, Samus is almost definitely not anywhere above B tier, especially considering how much some of the characters have improved.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I've been meaning to go on a Samus binge and record some of my matches but keep forgetting. I currently have an 80% win-rate with her ^.^

I'll keep'em short too ;)

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694

Bad quality..but a freaking good sheik..4 mins!

the best sonic i ever fought...and this is my best clip xp

Savez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9913-3965
@ Primer TMT Primer TMT Great clips! In the first one I saw that you used jab1 into jab 2 a lot and surprisingly they both landed most of the time. Was it because they weren't ready to mash out of it or because they had high%?

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
You played really well, until you tried to get the kill. In the first video, you really should have charged a charged shot in various times, like when sheik was offstage, or you should have simply fired missiles to do whatever, but at least you finished it with style. Nice bair.

In video two, as well as in all of your videos, I saw a tad too many dash attacks. You play a nice aggro game, though. I just hope that you try to zone a bit more in the future, when aggro won't work. Or, instead of dash attack, try grabs.

In the third video, at the beginning, after the fair, try using a falling up air to extend the combo. The landing lag of up-air is so small, you could chain that also into f-tilt or d-tilt or jab or whatever fast move samus has. By the way, that meteor at the end was so stylish, I really want to start trying that myself. Wall jump to dair sounds so badass.

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694
@ Primer TMT Primer TMT Great clips! In the first one I saw that you used jab1 into jab 2 a lot and surprisingly they both landed most of the time. Was it because they weren't ready to mash out of it or because they had high%?
yes! at high% it land bot jabs! ever!

You played really well, until you tried to get the kill. In the first video, you really should have charged a charged shot in various times, like when sheik was offstage, or you should have simply fired missiles to do whatever, but at least you finished it with style. Nice bair.

In video two, as well as in all of your videos, I saw a tad too many dash attacks. You play a nice aggro game, though. I just hope that you try to zone a bit more in the future, when aggro won't work. Or, instead of dash attack, try grabs.

In the third video, at the beginning, after the fair, try using a falling up air to extend the combo. The landing lag of up-air is so small, you could chain that also into f-tilt or d-tilt or jab or whatever fast move samus has. By the way, that meteor at the end was so stylish, I really want to start trying that myself. Wall jump to dair sounds so badass.

yes i think thats a little fault i have..i don't kill the earliest i can.
I do a lot of dash attacks becuz, i think ti's samus better ground attack, and sends opponents in the air, plus it;s fast with little ending lag and can kill, but a lot better is, when you hit, you're safe to charge or Uair
Oh you're right... Fast fall Up air, i;ll try it later,but im trying to get better too :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Hi all nice videos, I played online today. I have a butt load of Samus gameplay, I'll try to upload tomorrow and post links of my favorites here.

Being a melee samus I didn't like Samus at the start but my opinion soon changed, after some lab work :)

Primer TMT

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carlosva
3DS FC
4940-5763-3694
Hi all nice videos, I played online today. I have a butt load of Samus gameplay, I'll try to upload tomorrow and post links of my favorites here.

Being a melee samus I didn't like Samus at the start but my opinion soon changed, after some lab work :)

we will waiting to the videos tomorrow :D

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
So here is a link to a video that I managed to upload after about 6 hours... yet the quality didn't even warrant such a long buffering time. It is me playing against a jigglypuff. Shoutout to @Pékaßlu for being an awesome player with an amazing jigglypuff.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTqNfH5Epc

I Will try to upload more, but it takes forever to upload... I need a better camera.

Savez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9913-3965
Don't ever record a video using you're camera/phone vertical D: And remember to turn up the volume on your 3ds when you record.

Anyway the match was good. I hate playing vs small chars

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Don't ever record a video using you're camera/phone vertical D: And remember to turn up the volume on your 3ds when you record.

Anyway the match was good. I hate playing vs small chars

Yeah, i realized that vertical cameras made the video smaller than horizontal. Thanks for the tip. Ill keep that in mind for future videos.

Speaking of videos,

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCki1copmWjPT1xhC3LuaU6g

This time, I turned up the sound as well.

Savez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9913-3965
Great game and video. The other player didn't seem to be the best but if I can say something I think you use too few specials and grabs. Especially when you throw them out of the stage if you are certain you can kill them go for it otherwise charging your shot I feel it's almost always better even if you don't use it.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello! I...think I'm getting better? Having trouble predicting around counter, though. Further advice is still appreciated! ^_^

These are 3 (out of 4) matches with @Valzy. The other match was with Valzy using charizard, but it wasn't a good representation of either of our playing skill, so I opted not to record the replay of that one. I included damage %'s this time, so hopefully that'll give you guys a clearer picture.

Encountered an odd scenario against Valzy's ZSS (middle match) at approx. 1:21. ZSS was at 0% and took 6% damage from screw attack (not surprising). However, the knock-back from the attack was significantly larger than I felt it should have been. ZSS was almost knocked clean off the stage. Might be because ZSS used that up attack at the same time? (Sorry, don't know the attack's name)

I still use screw attack wayy too much; I acknowledge this. But it's like a drug: it's so fast and convenient, and it can eat through nearly every counter-attack. I know that if I miss, it's very risky to use...but still...

I also spent a lot of time during these matches experimenting with morph bombs. They seem like an interesting defensive play, but I don't really know. I might just be wasting my time with them.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Hello! I...think I'm getting better? Having trouble predicting around counter, though. Further advice is still appreciated! ^_^

These are 3 (out of 4) matches with @Valzy. The other match was with Valzy using charizard, but it wasn't a good representation of either of our playing skill, so I opted not to record the replay of that one. I included damage %'s this time, so hopefully that'll give you guys a clearer picture.

Encountered an odd scenario against Valzy's ZSS (middle match) at approx. 1:21. ZSS was at 0% and took 6% damage from screw attack (not surprising). However, the knock-back from the attack was significantly larger than I felt it should have been. ZSS was almost knocked clean off the stage. Might be because ZSS used that up attack at the same time? (Sorry, don't know the attack's name)

I still use screw attack wayy too much; I acknowledge this. But it's like a drug: it's so fast and convenient, and it can eat through nearly every counter-attack. I know that if I miss, it's very risky to use...but still...

I also spent a lot of time during these matches experimenting with morph bombs. They seem like an interesting defensive play, but I don't really know. I might just be wasting my time with them.

In all your videos, I saw not enough down throws. Even at low percent, you threw them to the side even at centerstage. Down throw combos into up air or fair.

Not enough tilts, especially down tilt. This sets up so well, its a shame to waste its potential by disuse.

No air chasing is bad. Samus has a strong juggle game now with up air. You can also beat out most air approaches with fair. You shouldn't be afraid to just go at them whenever you are in an advantageous position. For example, you are on the ground, and they fall in the air towrds you. If they are right next to you, maybe jumping towards them and attacking will result in a miss or they have alreay hit you. But if they are a full hop distance up, you can punish hard with up air of fair depending on horizontal distance.

I see potential in your play, however. I hope you post more videos in the future.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I see potential in your play, however. I hope you post more videos in the future.
Thanks for the encouragement! ^_^

These are my 2 best matches out of a marathon sparring session with a really good lucario main, @MythTrainerInfinity. Still have lots of room to improve, but I'm definitely getting better.

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Thanks for the encouragement! ^_^

These are my 2 best matches out of a marathon sparring session with a really good lucario main, @MythTrainerInfinity. Still have lots of room to improve, but I'm definitely getting better.

In that first video, you got a good amount of grabs ; )
But you didn't follow up : ( (notice how there is no wink there?)
After a down throw, you can follow up with fair. it is easy, and racks up good damage.

Also, you shielded when the lucario was above you when you should have gone after him. Samus can maintain the airspace around her very effectively.

Also, samus has pretty good aerial mobility, as well as a good short hop, so you can weave around the opponent with a short hop to avoid a lot of ground attacks and punish with dair. Try this out definitely. Just short hop into them and punish if they attack. this allows easy cross ups and many, many mix-ups.

Also (also...), when you want to maintain keeping your opponent away, try jumping back and then firing a missile. This helps homing missiles more, but power missiles also benefit somewhat by pressuring more than an obvious grounded missile. Just a little thing to try out.

In my opinion, the lucario and you fought pretty evenly. There were times when I though for sure one was better than the other, but both made errors or missed on capitalizations which inevitably (and sadly) produced very even matches.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
From what I saw on the videos, the Zair isn't as good as it was in Brawl. Few are the people that still use it.
Uhh, I don't think we can make such sweeping statements based on such a small representation of videos. I don't use Zair very much in my vids because I'm still a new player and I haven't properly incorporated it into my playstyle yet. I post videos mostly just to ask questions and get better. ^_^

Last edited:

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
I know it's still useful, there's always gonna be a chance to make a hit. But compared to Brawl, people use it a lot less. maybe because now Samus has a few new options for air combat.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello! Looking for more advice plz and thank you. ^_^

Sparring with @MythTrainerInfinity, who is also using Samus. We were experimenting a lot with bombs in these matches, which set up some interesting possibilities. I'm frustrated with grab, though. I'm able to land a bunch of them, but not really do much with them afterwards. Grabs by themselves are too weak, so I need better follow-ups in order to make them...actually effective.

I also have some matches with Infinity using his main, Lucario, which I'll try to upload when I have time later. If nothing else, I'll post them in the lucario video thread (and here if they're welcome). I'll have made the same mistakes in those as in these, though, so not sure if they're needed here.

Thanks! :D

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
had to clear my SD card of replays so here's a combo video thing

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I really like his use of fast fall bomb or something? into standing active frames to avoid the morph ball explosion animation while having some hitbox on him. I also like the dropzone charge shot double jump fair, and the tether cancels to double jumps. Interesting playstyle, I'll experiment with those pieces of tech.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I really like his use of fast fall bomb or something? into standing active frames to avoid the morph ball explosion animation while having some hitbox on him.
Hi, can you explain what you mean, and why it is significant? I don't understand. :S

Last edited:

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Hi, can you explain what you mean, and why it is significant? I don't understand. :S
Actually, I don't really understand either. But watch when he plays against Greninja. You'll see he does short or full hop bomb, DIs behind the bomb, landing right behind it. This gives him some temporary cover, as the explosion can trap people or force them to roll or put up a shield. Samus is free to act behind the bomb, so it becomes potentially threatening to the opponent. This buys him space. With this space you'll see he goes for grab, or he charges up neutral B a little bit, or throws out a jab. I think he throws out jab because it's the least laggy move that can be thrown out to stop Samus from turning into a morph ball/becoming vulnerable by the explosion.

Anyway, think of it like he's laying down cover fire for himself while at the same time keeping enemies at a distance he's comfortable playing with.

Top Bottom