• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Discussion

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
And just a question, any way to avoid Pikachu's fsmash when he's edgeguarding Samus? Cause it seems hard to avoid.
Samus is actually one of the few characters that can avoid it most of the time. You can get underneath the f smash if you space her recovery correctly.

JaimieHR is great at recovering with samus. Watch this. He gets around the f smash a bunch.

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Awesome thanks!

I don't get your post
Cobr is one of the best Samus players in the country. Considering the fact that you said Samus has combos, she has a terrible recovery, and also that you've seen competitive Samus players but at the same time didn't know how to get around Pika's f smash, I can only assume that Cobr's post meant that he doesn't consider your opinion of Samus valid.

Which is pretty silly IMO, considering that Samus does have combos, her recovery can in fact be pretty bad at times, and there are indeed times where she can't get around Pika's f smash.

IDK. Maybe I'm completely incorrect. Prove me wrong, Cobr! :p

BTW, Armando, I agree that Samus should be higher on the tier list. :oneeye:

Last edited:

Armando_

Banned via Warnings
Cobr is one of the best Samus players in the country. Considering the fact that you said Samus has combos, she has a terrible recovery, and also that you've seen competitive Samus players but at the same time didn't know how to get around Pika's f smash, I can only assume that Cobr's post meant that he doesn't consider your opinion of Samus valid.

Which is pretty silly IMO, considering that Samus does have combos, her recovery can in fact be pretty bad at times, and there are indeed times where she can't get around Pika's f smash.

IDK. Maybe I'm completely incorrect. Prove me wrong Cobr! :p

BTW, Armando, I agree that Samus should be higher on the tier list. :oneeye:
Thanks for understanding me, I really appreciate it. And wow I didn't know he's is one of the best Samus' :o

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for understanding me, I really appreciate it. And wow I didn't know :o
I'm new here too! Us n00bs have to stick together, right!?

And I'm only kidding by assuming you're a n00b, I'm sure you're a lot better than I am. :laugh:

Armando_

Banned via Warnings
I'm new here too! Us n00bs have to stick together, right!?

And I'm only kidding by assuming you're a n00b, I'm sure you're a lot better than I am. :laugh:
Who knows! And I'd say I know more about melee than Smash 64 even though I like Smash 64 a bit more, so I guess it's alright for me to make a mistake about Samus' things :p

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Who knows! And I'd say I know more about melee than Smash 64 even though I like Smash 64 a bit more, so I guess it's alright for me to make a mistake about Samus' things :p
Yeah it's always okay to make mistakes. I wouldn't know, but I bet even the top players learn new things about this game everyday!

Armando_

Banned via Warnings
Yeah it's always okay to make mistakes. I wouldn't know, but I bet even the top players learn new things about this game everyday!
Yea like I just did! Well anyway what I really meant by combos are this:
-UAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>FAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>USmash>Back Air

I tried all of these combos and they do work, in case you guys were wondering.

Last edited:

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
-UAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>FAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>USmash>Back Air

Hmm.

A Dair in the middle of a combo implies that you either Dair them to the ground, and hit them again while they're on the ground, or Dair them off the ground, and hit them again while they're in the air.

Either way, such a "combo" isn't legit, despite the fact that it may have worked on the combo counter in training mode.

There's something called a tech / tech roll that pretty much ends any "combo" as soon as it hits the ground.

Armando_

Banned via Warnings
Hmm.

A Dair in the middle of a combo implies that you either Dair them to the ground, and hit them again while they're on the ground, or Dair them off the ground, and hit them again while they're in the air.

Either way, such a "combo" isn't legit, despite the fact that it may have worked on the combo counter in training mode.

There's something called a tech / tech roll that pretty much ends any "combo" as soon as it hits the ground.
I forgot about techs, and I can't guarantee this works all the time, but I tried it and it worked. Also this can only work if you're slightly above the ground (about to land)

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
IDK. Maybe I'm completely incorrect. Prove me wrong, Cobr! :p
completely incorrect

i meant homeboy's probably trolling because those were pretty specific things to point out and contradict

and his additional posts support my suspicion

Sangoku

Smash Master
-UAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>FAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>USmash>Back Air.
Dsmash is way to slow to combo into anything. A combo by definition means hit the opponent while he's still in hitstun. A way to know if it works is to do them in training mode and see if the combo meter resets. If it does, then it's not a combo (except on grabs and on wall bounce where the combo meter is off) and if it doesn't and the opponent hasn't touched the ground, then it is a combo.

Uair to Dair seems weird and if you mean in the air, then a dair will smash the opponent on the ground where he will tech, as Chaostatic said. And it's not "it won't work everytime", it's "the opponent will always tech". We're talking about good players, not about CPU.

And @ Chaostatic Chaostatic we're not discussing semantics here. She does have combos, but saying her combo game is good is wrong. Making a more than two hit combo (without a multiple hit attack such as upb) is difficult. Can you say the same about Falcon? It's all relative to other chars, so no, she doesn't have a good combo game. Her recovery is good. Being trapped and edgeguarded sometimes doesn't mean it's bad. There are times when even Pikachu can get edgeguarded reliably, does that mean that sometimes his recovery sucks? No, again it's relative. There are always times where recoveries can be stopped, but it happens less often with Samus than, say Fox or Ness.

Last edited:

Armando_

Banned via Warnings
completely incorrect

i meant homeboy's probably trolling because those were pretty specific things to point out and contradict

and his additional posts support my suspicion
Dude I don't see how the hell I'm trolling...I'm just trying to help the community. Just because you are one of the best Samus' doesn't mean you know everything about her. There's always things to be discovered...so please stop complaining...And I know I'm wrong...don't be so mean about it...

Last edited:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
yeah omg i know

cobr is such a whiney girl all of the time

he should just quit smash forever

he'd be doing the comm a HUGE favor

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
ur samus sucks

utilt is a very good edgeguarder move that owns tough nosed recoveries like captain falcon and ness

Sangoku

Smash Master
Nope I agree with cobr that utilt isn't a good move. Finding combos with utilt doesn't make it good either. It's the same with what Chaostatic said, you don't prove that kind of things with exceptions. I mean I can also mention that Tambor match where he linked a DK dash attack to utilt.

But cobr I know you're annoyed but that's the kind of attitude that makes beginners run away thinking our community is full of elitist douches. I'd sugget you simply don't read/answer in that kind of situation and let others participate politely.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Nope I agree with cobr that utilt isn't a good move. Finding combos with utilt doesn't make it good either. It's the same with what Chaostatic said, you don't prove that kind of things with exceptions.
rofl cleary that was my goal. even in the video you can see the "(lol)" from the videomaker

= im not arguing for either side. it was a joke (bcuz cobr) / good opportunity to show that clip.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't really mind what was "clearly your goal". The point of the current discussion is to help a beginner, that's why I'm verbalizing the confusion your joke might have created.

I think we have lost him already though, I'm not sure whether he'll come back.

But that aside, yeah it was a good clip.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I don't really mind what was "clearly your goal".
that mind sounds a bit off. or, that was a weird way of euphemism. what sounds more honest and natural is: 'I don't really care what was "clearly your goal".'

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
In my opinion, I think Samus's bombs are underrated, it messes up a lot of players, especially Yoshi players, and is something I use greatly

Jouske

Smash Cadet
-UAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>FAir>DAir>FSmash
-DSmash>USmash>Back Air

These exceeds my understanding.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
The disparity between what I envision my play can and reasonably should be and my actual play has always been a constant thick barrier for me. Until I play as Samus, then it's just disheartening.

Jouske

Smash Cadet
how do you guys deal as samus vs a low% captain falcon?

what do you use to approach?
I stand in the corner and charge NB or DB.
If Falcon approach by dash, I try to stop Falcon approaching by halfway chargeshot.
If Falcon approach by jump and Air attack, I try to do anti-air by charge cancel and dash Fair or UP+B.
Sometimes happens that Guard cancel UP+B or grab cliff after guard Falcon air attack by shield.

I think Falcon can get high advantage in middle of stage by grab setup.
And Samus can get low advantage for low% Falcon.
So I think Samus should stand in the corner to balance risk and return.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Only if you're not getting combo'ed. Why do people have so much problem understanding what a combo is? Especially since I gave the definition a few post above. And down b isn't even the fastest option and it will make you lose your second jump.

Sorry if this post comes off with an annoyed tone.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Blame melee. I guess I would just jump out or dair if Falcon dropped a combo like that.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
I've been spamming nair in those situations recently. Falcon's timing has to be pretty tight against Samus so I get out often enough.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
Shield pressure question.

Say you and your opponent are grounded. You just fsmashed their shield - now what?

Jab? Ftilt? Fsmash again? Run away? Anticipate shield jump?

Does it depend on which direction they're facing and/or which character they are?

I'm not sure there is a clear & concise answer but if somebody could share some insight that would be great!

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
high angled fsmash on shield connects again if you're frame perfect or something. i like to pivot away -> charge shot/ftilt/fsmash/jab to try to cover options with rolls and shield releases. some characters are just brutal out of shield regardless of where you're facing, ie pika can uair/nair oos or grab.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
You just fsmashed their shield - now what?
i ask myself the same question

i think this is also tied with ground tech-chasing

it seems like there's only things you shouldn't do. it's not clean cut what you should do.

i'm not good at it. i hope others give their input too
here are my observations with some videos which i think can help us think about options and whatnot

1. if they roll to the edge, you could push them off with a dash and then (jump) dair (#1.1 / #1.2)

2. high angled f-smash deals more damage (+2%) and thus more shieldstun (+3 frames) than a regular f-smash¹

3. short hop rising dair on shield should mostly be considered a hard read, since it'll result in significant frame disadvantage for samus. however, depending on the opponent you may want to wait for the dair, or anticipate the jump out of shield like you said (#2.1 / #2.2)

4. dash attack is an option against higher %s (knocks down the opponent and forces a tech) (#3)

¹ double high-angled f-smash on shield is not a true combo in the U version. it just means you won the frame war

late aerial (bair/nair/dair) into u-smash is an unlikely shieldbreak but fun to practice the punishes https://mediacru.sh/fLE35uWGPvge

all in all, try to learn their habits out of shield, and get good at the frame war: act as soon as possible. i'm sure most people just go by the feel of it, but you can use a visual cue, samus' cooldown animation, to try to get the timing down from a different approach

Top Bottom