• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Advice/Questions Topic.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ask any questions you have on Samus in this topic. I will answer them as soon as I can, and other people are free to answer as well. This topic should reduce the amount of two post topics where people ask easy questions.

Please know what you are talking about and have some tournament experience before you answer someone's question. Knowledgeable players will correct what is wrong though :).

Ask away :).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In my opinion, it's better to have the extender. It's easy to do, stays out the same amount of time as normal grapple, and homing is awesome :).

I don't see how it's worse in any way.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
how do you pull off a double missile? I've tried bu i can only fire off one.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
its all about timing for the double missle. you can try going into slow mo melee to see what part of the air you shoot off the second missle.

Question
What are some good mind games to use to get someone to fall for a grab

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
Question
Missiles are nice way to force them to shield/jump/spot dodge...and if they shield, there you go.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
its all about timing for the double missle. you can try going into slow mo melee to see what part of the air you shoot off the second missle.

Question
Uh...You can missile their shield and grab them...Other then that...I don't really know..my samus doesn't grab much...

Someone else might know some though :)

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
how do you pull off a double missile? I've tried bu i can only fire off one.
Land on the ground right after firing a missile in the air. The wind-down lag from shooting the missile almost completely disappears when you land, so you are in control of Samus pretty much immediately. This is known as missile canceling. You can shoot another missile right away when you land, since you don't have to wait for the lag from the first shot to go away.

As for grabbing, I find Samus's standing (i.e. not running) grab to be efficient on its own very often. It comes out so slowly that if your opponent is used to spot dodging/side stepping to the timing of other characters' grabs, they'll dodge too early and will get grabbed anyway. Of course, this only applies if the opponent is just standing and shielding and not moving all over the place.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Land on the ground right after firing a missile in the air. The wind-down lag from shooting the missile almost completely disappears when you land, so you are in control of Samus pretty much immediately. This is known as missile canceling. You can shoot another missile right away when you land, since you don't have to wait for the lag from the first shot to go away.

As for grabbing, I find Samus's standing (i.e. not running) grab to be efficient on its own very often. It comes out so slowly that if your opponent is used to spot dodging/side stepping to the timing of other characters' grabs, they'll dodge too early and will get grabbed anyway. Of course, this only applies if the opponent is just standing and shielding and not moving all over the place.
This person is wrong in both reguards.

To double missle, Try jumping with Y, then immediately sliding your finger down to b and smash missle, then fire another as you land. It takes a lot of practice, but once you get it down then it's easy.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
imo PCING missles are heck of a lot more useful then double missles.i say use your time learning how to short hop platform cancel a missle. whether its homing or power. then fastfall through the platform and shoot a power missle.

1 its faster
2 theres less lag then double missle
3 looks a lot cooler

rayecho

Smash Ace
imo PCING missles are heck of a lot more useful then double missles.i say use your time learning how to short hop platform cancel a missle. whether its homing or power. then fastfall through the platform and shoot a power missle.

1 its faster
2 theres less lag then double missle
3 looks a lot cooler
you would use double missiles on stages where there are no platforms, like pokemon stadium.
its a good technique for edge guarding a character that is far away. and no, its not "cooler" but a lot harder to do.

Samus Syndrome

Smash Apprentice
Question: Is it better to get a homing grapple or a charged shot while your opponent is respawning? My first thought on this was that it would be better to have a charged shot but I've seen people get an extender instead. However I have also seen people kill themselves while their opponent is respawning, so what do you think?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Question: Is it better to get a homing grapple or a charged shot while your opponent is respawning? My first thought on this was that it would be better to have a charged shot but I've seen people get an extender instead. However I have also seen people kill themselves while their opponent is respawning, so what do you think?
Get the chargeshot. You can get the extender much faster, and can just do it when you jump.

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
Is the sweetspotted upB truly a sweetspot? to the naked eye, it looks like samus drops a bit from her peak before she can grap the ledge. like, is there AR proof that it's a sweetspot? i wont need the long AR response, i only need a "Yes it is proven through AR/No it isn't" kind of answer

Corigames

Smash Hero
How do you stop from getting comboed to death by:
-Marth
-Shiek
-Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-ect.
???

I think I've tried everything from DIing towards them to away to mashing N air. It's dumb.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Is the sweetspotted upB truly a sweetspot? to the naked eye, it looks like samus drops a bit from her peak before she can grap the ledge. like, is there AR proof that it's a sweetspot? i wont need the long AR response, i only need a "Yes it is proven through AR/No it isn't" kind of answer
Yes it is a true sweetspot.

You can also go a little away from the edge and have samus warp to the edge...like Doc.

-Marth
-Shiek
-Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-ect.
???

I think I've tried everything from DIing towards them to away to mashing N air. It's dumb.
Crouch Cancel, stay in your shild and wavedash out with an attack if you don't want to be combo'ed. >_>. Smash DI really helps get out of combos as well.

Mars-

Smash Champion
-Marth
-Shiek
-Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-ect.
???

Well marth is hard, but I got a lot better just thinking about what options I have. Like crashman mentioned in my thread to dash attack his arials, it works. You can also crouchcancel his forward airs.

Now put these together. Crouch cancel a forward air, and they will most likely Nair you next time. But next time you dash attack them, and then you can possibly juggle them with this. Try popping them up in the air because you can outspace them much easier from below.

Sheik you can't really get out of combos, they are just automatic. From talking to Wes, HugS and Watty about this match, some reoccuring tips were use your shield a lot, only jump to attack after they jump.

Falcon can really only hit you with 2 hit combos most of the time, just sex kick out of them, and only use sex kick to counter their arials, but feel free to use other attacks vs their shield. Also don't Dsmash their shield if possible. Falcon you will want to pop up in the air, tech chase him with charged shots and such(Wes told me this stuff). His roll, I have been told, is slow, so this shouldn't be a difficult thing.

Jiggs is the same as falcon shield wise, she can punish most of your attacks that hit her shield. Try more arials and missiles in this matchup.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well marth is hard, but I got a lot better just thinking about what options I have. Like crashman mentioned in my thread to dash attack his arials, it works. You can also crouchcancel his forward airs.

Now put these together. Crouch cancel a forward air, and they will most likely Nair you next time. But next time you dash attack them, and then you can possibly juggle them with this. Try popping them up in the air because you can outspace them much easier from below.

Sheik you can't really get out of combos, they are just automatic. From talking to Wes, HugS and Watty about this match, some reoccuring tips were use your shield a lot, only jump to attack after they jump.

Falcon can really only hit you with 2 hit combos most of the time, just sex kick out of them, and only use sex kick to counter their arials, but feel free to use other attacks vs their shield. Also don't Dsmash their shield if possible. Falcon you will want to pop up in the air, tech chase him with charged shots and such(Wes told me this stuff). His roll, I have been told, is slow, so this shouldn't be a difficult thing.

Jiggs is the same as falcon shield wise, she can punish most of your attacks that hit her shield. Try more arials and missiles in this matchup.
Um..falcon has the fastest roll in the game >_>.

jas3

Smash Apprentice
i know there's many threads on doing the superwavedash and i've went through the ones i could find, and there seems to be a few ways to do it. i've been practicing it but can only come up with like a 30% success rate. any good players who pull it off most of the time have any tips?

it usually works for me when i hit left then right, right before i touch the ground. (assuming i'm going right). others tell me i should hold left until i'm near the ground. what do u guys recommend?

Watty

Smash Lord
its just a timing thing u practice till u got it, there is no other tip

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i know there's many threads on doing the superwavedash and i've went through the ones i could find, and there seems to be a few ways to do it. i've been practicing it but can only come up with like a 30% success rate. any good players who pull it off most of the time have any tips?

it usually works for me when i hit left then right, right before i touch the ground. (assuming i'm going right). others tell me i should hold left until i'm near the ground. what do u guys recommend?
Just as watty said, you just need to practice.

Here is one tip though.

Go to Pokemon stadium and look at your shadow. Now lay a bomb. Notice your shadow goes away from you and comes back. Try hitting the second direction on your control stick right when your shadow touches you again. This is the general timing.

3Years

Smash Lord
Question
ok this is wut i do for my grabs: dash away from your opponent as if your gunna start a dash dance then dash the other way to where your faceing your opponent and rab em(dont jump cancel it)

if theres any more quiestions im sure me n some others would be glad 2 help u guys out

Watty

Smash Lord
for grabbing u gotta bait them into having them shield. constant pressure for the the first match i would suggest not grabbing, juss tilt there shield jab cancel it, than match 2 and 3 they will never expect it. i suggest the dash attack grab its not as long but it takes so long to do even though ur farther away they can still beat ur *** for doing it. also walk through forward smashes work well do them the first match they will shield and mix it up between jabs and grabs.

VA

Smash Hero
Some HugS advice on falcon that kicks butt:

For falcon, it is very important to focus on shield pressure. Don't ever do any laggy moves on his shield. This includes fsmashing, dsmashing, and to a far lesser extent, dtilt. Dtilt is usually safe. Otherwise focus on using ftilts and jabs on the shield. The falcon will either have to roll or jump out at the wrong moment when you can tilt him again. Try to master tech chasing in this match up, it is very important.

With falcon you either have to be Extremely close in range, or extremely far. Samus's "Danger zone" vs falcon is when you are at mid range. You are susceptible to many attacks without enough room to retaliate quickly enough.
Edgeguarding is also very important. Most of the match builds up towards you getting him off the stage. Master edgeguarding to handle falcon. It isn't always as easy as just "uptilting". So work on that if you need to.

Another trick that works well on falcon is waiting on the 2nd jump. When you manage to get falcon in the air, jump at him and wait for a jump, then hit him with your attack. If you are good at wasting falcon's 2nd jump, you will have a much greater ease with comboing or with edgeguarding.

AIDS

Smash Lord
also tech chase with your charge, or fake an edge hog wavedash onto the stage, and shoot it at him when he is in range, i find a lot of players have a hard time tedching this, plus it is an automatic 25% so all worth it!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Falcon is hard...vanity gave really good advice though >_>.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
How important is DI?

I keep hearing things about DI and how this person died because of bad DI and that person's DI sucks, but is there really any more to it than just holding left / right? I don't understand the big deal.

I'm an okay Samus player, definitely not even close to pro but I can do the basics (bomb / recovery mindgames, spacing with WD, etc). I'm just wondering if I should really start learning how to DI effectively.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How important is DI?

I keep hearing things about DI and how this person died because of bad DI and that person's DI sucks, but is there really any more to it than just holding left / right? I don't understand the big deal.

I'm an okay Samus player, definitely not even close to pro but I can do the basics (bomb / recovery mindgames, spacing with WD, etc). I'm just wondering if I should really start learning how to DI effectively.
Yes, DI is very important.

Generally, you want to DI perpendicular to the way you were hit.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
uhm i didnt seek advice on how to play the match up
i was asking for you opinions on who has the upper hand in the match up
my friend is sure falcon owns samus but i think it is quite balanced
what do you say?

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
what do you say?
I never said that falcon owns samus; I just said that its an uphill match :-(

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
what do you say?
Falcon is Samus's hardest match-up IMO >_>.

VA

Smash Hero
Depends on your style but I think generally it is accepted that it's her worst match up on paper.

Top Bottom