• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai watching us?

Mars-

Smash Champion
In todays update Sakurai said that if recovering is a technique, then there must be a technique against it. I don't know about you guys, but by him calling it a "technique" sorta makes me wonder what he meant by that. Just a thought.

Sariku

Smash Master
-holds self together- It mean... that we will have... stuff like Meteos.... to finish off our oppoments... who are trying to get... u..up... so the..y... won't... succeed...

Is this answ..er... goo..d..d enough.?

EDIT!

-Smiles- Yes, there will be different Techniques you can use.

-twitch-

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Some people tried to read this as confirmation that wavedashing is returning.

Whatever.

By the following comment about how aerial combat rules the stage (or however he put it) makes me believe that he's solely referring to how meteor smash/spikes are there to prevent recovery.

Probably a hint at another How to Play that's going to be coming up.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Don't forget, his words are originally written in Japanese, and then translated. I'm not saying that the words are inaccurate, but I am saying that some things can be lost or altered in the translation. What it says on the American page won't be exactly what it says on the Japanese page.

What I'm saying is, don't look too far into anything that's written there.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
What a DUMB update. Fall off the stage? Jump back!

NO ONE WOULD HAVE EVER FIGURED IT OUT AND SAKURAI HAS CHANGED THE BRAWL SCENE IN UNTHINKABLE WAYS WITH HIS INSIGHTS

And it didn't even have Melee's tutorial's classic line :

SSBM Tutorial said:
INTERCEPT!

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
What a DUMB update. Fall off the stage? Jump back!

NO ONE WOULD HAVE EVER FIGURED IT OUT AND SAKURAI HAS CHANGED THE BRAWL SCENE IN UNTHINKABLE WAYS WITH HIS INSIGHTS

And it didn't even have Melee's tutorial's classic line :
hey.

PEOPLE WHO NEVER PLAYED SMASH WOULD WANT TO KNOW THIS STUFF SAKURAI HASN"T CHANGED THE BRAWL SCENCE IN UNTHINKABLE WAYS WITH INSIGHTS

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
It's still pretty obvious to Smash non-players if they looked at either video closely enough on the site.

Anyway, he could be watching this board for ideas. But the team's probably too deep in development to pay much attention to the outside world. XD

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
but it was in melee. in the how to do video..mario spikes bowser.

why would he watch us for that?

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
Blocking someone from getting back on the stage is almost as vital as knocking them off.

This update is probably intended for those who've never played SSB64 or Melee

Sonicfan813

Smash Cadet
There is a "how to play" section of the website that is being filled up slowly just as other categories are being filled. Chillax a little. Not every update will be spectacular; it isn't like the game is coming out next week.

(ug i can't get the quote thing right...)

Takalth

Smash Ace
It may be reading too much into his words, but he says: "If recovering is a technique, then there must also be techniques to guard against recovery. Fierce aerial battles often rule the match!"

I would like to see more emphasis on chasing people off the edge rather than hanging out and waiting for them to come back. Off-the-edge battles are my favorite part of the game, but too often, they're less effective than the safer forms of edge guarding.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
It may be reading too much into his words, but he says: "If recovering is a technique, then there must also be techniques to guard against recovery. Fierce aerial battles often rule the match!"

I would like to see more emphasis on chasing people off the edge rather than hanging out and waiting for them to come back. Off-the-edge battles are my favorite part of the game, but too often, they're less effective than the safer forms of edge guarding.
that will be pits job with his multijumps..cant wait :chuckle:

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Guys, and I'm talking to some who are still puzzled about what this "technique" would be.

It would most probably be either one of these:

1. Meteors (some technique other people could better explain)
2. Projectiles
3. Items which you can basically throw at people (like Poké Balls :p)

One example of a meteor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdufW2mg90

Although that example was a tad too extreme.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
This is such a -stupid- discussion. Its not like anything is gonna be new in Brawl when it comes to edgeguarding.

Guy flies off, you have 2 choices.

1. stay on edge, edgeguard with smash or tilt or whatever
2. jump off and go for the kill.

Its not like in brawl if you try to edgeguard on the stage the game will magically anal probe you and take over your body forcing you to jump off the edge and edgeguard.

Think about it, what are you even discussing?

RPK

Smash Lord
look on the bright side, if it is a spike, we get to see who spikes and how their spike works unless its mario who does it -_-
EDIT: I mean if the next update is on how to "Intercept" then well you get the picture...

Takalth

Smash Ace
This is such a -stupid- discussion. Its not like anything is gonna be new in Brawl when it comes to edgeguarding.

Guy flies off, you have 2 choices.

1. stay on edge, edgeguard with smash or tilt or whatever
2. jump off and go for the kill.

Its not like in brawl if you try to edgeguard on the stage the game will magically anal probe you and take over your body forcing you to jump off the edge and edgeguard.

Think about it, what are you even discussing?
Your problem, Dylan, (And I say this after having read a ton of your posts), is you think that the greatness of Melee was an accident, and therefore, any change would be bad. The greatness of melee comes from brilliant designers who can certainly come up with more cool stuff.

On this specific issue, some possible ways to encourage chasing people off could include:
1: Making Up+B faster (similar to Marth's), so it's hard to time an edge guarding move.
2: Turn some meteors into spikes.
3: Reduce the lag and/or startup time of spikes.
4: Increase the freeze frames of powerful hits(making it a lot easier to tech)

I'm not necessarily saying they should do these, but these are techniques that would make edge chasing preferable that I came up with in a few seconds. Surely you think that people who are paid to spend 8 hours a day designing a game could come up with more (and better) ways to make edge chasing superior.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
And that's the biggest flaw in what you just said and what this thread was all about:
1: Making Up+B faster (similar to Marth's), so it's hard to time an edge guarding move.
2: Turn some meteors into spikes.
3: Reduce the lag and/or startup time of spikes.
4: Increase the freeze frames of powerful hits(making it a lot easier to tech)
1. You can't show this in images, and telling it will be faster is just plain silly, because there are people who never played Smash before. Plus, it doesn't really change a bit, does it?
2. Again, does it really change anything? Does it add something new?
3. Ditto.
4. Ditto.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
look on the bright side, if it is a spike, we get to see who spikes and how their spike works unless its mario who does it -_-
EDIT: I mean if the next update is on how to "Intercept" then well you get the picture...

IT.

What the heck?

What is ''it'' and how will ''it'' be a spike or a meteor? what is this magical, IT that will apply to edgeguarding as a whole.

This thread is confusing the -****- out of me.

Look, Sakurai is japanese The website is badly translated.

STOP READING SO **** MUCH INTO EVERY PHRASE SAKURAI SAYS IN BROKEN ENGLISH.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Dylan comes off as really annoying; like, the kind of guy everyone rolls their eyes about. Anyone care to correct me on this?

Anyway, I dunno about anyone else, but the last few lines of that update reminded me of how Sakurai intends to somehow place a lot more emphasis on aerial battles. Which is still just as cryptic as it was when he first brought it up, so... who knows.

I'm surprised that old hint wasn't brought up yet.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan comes off as really annoying; like, the kind of guy everyone rolls their eyes about. Anyone care to correct me on this?
Nah Im actually one of the most respected posters in this section of the forums. You fail.

Anyway, I dunno about anyone else, but the last few lines of that update reminded me of how Sakurai intends to somehow place a lot more emphasis on aerial battles. Which is still just as cryptic as it was when he first brought it up, so... who knows.

I'm surprised that old hint wasn't brought up yet.
Sakurai cant place more emphasis on aerial battles. Sakurai makes the ****ing game, we're the ones playing it.

The way you all talk its like you expect sakurai to stand in your room yelling ''HEY, NO GROUND ATTACKS, DIDNT YOU READ SMASHBROS.COM FOR UPDATES?''

Ok, so Ill say this for the last time. You're reading into badly translated japanese phrasing to try and decipher small details about a game that is neither completed, nor close to release yet.

There is NO point in what you're doing. Basically this is what Sakurai said

''When you get knocked off. It sucks balls. Use your double jump right away like a noob with bad DI then use your UP B. Be warned, people will try to edgeguard you with a variety of moves''

Thread over.

Thread ****ing over. Theres nothing to discuss, you guys dissapoint me.

everlasting yay

Smash Ace
Nah Im actually one of the most respected posters in this section of the forums. You fail.

Sakurai cant place more emphasis on aerial battles. Sakurai makes the ****ing game, we're the ones playing it.

The way you all talk its like you expect sakurai to stand in your room yelling ''HEY, NO GROUND ATTACKS, DIDNT YOU READ SMASHBROS.COM FOR UPDATES?''

Ok, so Ill say this for the last time. You're reading into badly translated japanese phrasing to try and decipher small details about a game that is neither completed, nor close to release yet.

There is NO point in what you're doing. Basically this is what Sakurai said

''When you get knocked off. It sucks balls. Use your double jump right away like a noob with bad DI then use your UP B. Be warned, people will try to edgeguard you with a variety of moves''

Thread over.

Thread ****ing over. Theres nothing to discuss, you guys dissapoint me.
Lol, so does your spelling of disappoint. speel cehk iz ur frand

gnosis

Smash Lord
Oh? He can't? I thought that's what game designers kinda do. So eliminating all ground moves wouldn't put emphasis on aerial battles? Weird how that works. I'm not saying he would, but it's definitely within the designers power to emphasize one thing over another.

Let's give a real life example. Let's assume that the designers realized the strength of throws in 64, and decided they wanted to de-emphasize them as killing moves. Thus, they made them weaker in Melee; now, throws aren't really killing moves. A few throws can kill, sure, but they're now mostly important in combos. An example of designers placing/removing emphasis. One could say the same about Ness, Kirby, and Pikachu; they nerfed them and thus took away emphasis from Ness, Kirby and Pikachu in Melee.

I'm also not reading much into this. He said aerial battles will rule the match. He also said he's going to place more emphasis on aerial battles. My memory made a pretty simple connection, but I drew no conclusions.

And you're hardly one to talk about reading too much into things anyway. Wasn't it you who made a thread about how the game might suck based on intuitions and poorly translated Japanese? Huh.

p.s.: When I said anyone, I meant anyone but you. It's just not that impressive when someone claims they're cool. Overall, you just come off as trying too hard. And not doing a very good job at what you're trying to do anyway.

Pyr0

Smash Ace

Speaking of Off-the-edge battles, Im pretty sure Pit will give them a whole new meaning, even more than Jigglypuff's WoP.

I mean, whats stoping you from shorthopping backwards using your multijumps or Up B and do Bairs till its over, grab to the edge and repeat?

I belive thats where the strenght of Pit will be based on...

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Respecting yourself doesn't count

It's very easy for Sakurai to change the mechanics to make arial attacks more effective. And he can easily provide more variety to allow us to use better arial mindgames. You seem to think that Brawl will be Melee 1.5. It won't. Nobody's saying ground attacks won't be used, they're saying that arial attacks will probably be used more.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
So you *******s want another piece of me? You've failed in the past and you'll fail again. I dont know where these haters keep appearing from but screw it, I'll fight you and your ignorance to the end.

ol, so does your spelling of disappoint. speel cehk iz ur frand
GOOD ONE!!! I misspelled a word! Despite 99.9% time typing in not only eloquent, but also gramatically correct english in my posts, you managed to pick up on a mistake I made!

Burn! man, so clever. Applying what your teacher put on your english tests to an online forum! you are SOOO cool :) [/quote]

Speaking of Off-the-edge battles, Im pretty sure Pit will give them a whole new meaning, even more than Jigglypuff's WoP.

I mean, whats stoping you from shorthopping backwards using your multijumps or Up B and do Bairs till its over, grab to the edge and repeat?

I belive thats where the strenght of Pit will be based on...
I believe this aswell, for Pit and Metaknight. I predict very high tier as a result.

Oh? He can't? I thought that's what game designers kinda do. So eliminating all ground moves wouldn't put emphasis on aerial battles? Weird how that works. I'm not saying he would, but it's definitely within the designers power to emphasize one thing over another.
No. He can't change how the game is played. He can only change how it works. There will still be ground moves, and there will still be air moves..

unless. -GASP- Sakurai just updated his site and you managed to decipher from his translated phrases that there will be no ground attacks!

then there will still be both, and the smash metagame will develop relative to the best strategies. Surely aerial fighting will play a big part...

but wait... IT WAS ALREADY A BIG PART OF MELEE.

Sakurai can make things more effective, or less effective, or different. But so long as there are both ground and air attacks it is the ****ing players choice in a given situation for which one to use. If you understand what im saying...

And you're hardly one to talk about reading too much into things anyway. Wasn't it you who made a thread about how the game might suck based on intuitions and poorly translated Japanese? Huh.
Yes! I love these posts. The ones where you put words into my mouth because you're too pathetic to come up with arguments based around things I've actually posted/done on these boards.

My thread, is entitled ''Who else is nervous about Brawl, POTENTIALLY sucking?''

It wasn't based around japanese, it wasn't based on anything other than the question.. can Melee be topped? Or will Brawl be a wavedashless, watered down version of the game we know and love, to be more noob friendly and sell more copies. Had nothing, at all to do with anything sakurai ever, ever stated.

p.s.: When I said anyone, I meant anyone but you. It's just not that impressive when someone claims they're cool. Overall, you just come off as trying too hard. And not doing a very good job at what you're trying to do anyway.
lol, I claimed I was cool? I said I was respected, and I am. How many times have your sad little posts been quoted in signatures by other members? I've counted 10 for me, not including my own btw.

Respecting yourself doesn't count
Read above, check my thread.

Good to see the ''I hate Dylan'' club gather its forces for another attack on my reputation in another spam thread on the Brawl boards. Luckily I have wayyy more allies than enemies on these boards.

So you guys, can find some offs to ****.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
So you *******s want another piece of me? You've failed in the past and you'll fail again. I dont know where these haters keep appearing from but screw it, I'll fight you and your ignorance to the end.

GOOD ONE!!! I misspelled a word! Despite 99.9% time typing in not only eloquent, but also gramatically correct english in my posts, you managed to pick up on a mistake I made!

Burn! man, so clever. Applying what your teacher put on your english tests to an online forum! you are SOOO cool :)

I believe this aswell, for Pit and Metaknight. I predict very high tier as a result.

No. He can't change how the game is played. He can only change how it works. There will still be ground moves, and there will still be air moves..

unless. -GASP- Sakurai just updated his site and you managed to decipher from his translated phrases that there will be no ground attacks!

then there will still be both, and the smash metagame will develop relative to the best strategies. Surely aerial fighting will play a big part...

Sakurai can make things more effective, or less effective, or different. But so long as there are both ground and air attacks it is the ****ing players choice in a given situation for which one to use. If you understand what im saying...

Yes! I love these posts. The ones where you put words into my mouth because you're too pathetic to come up with arguments based around things I've actually posted/done on these boards.

My thread, is entitled ''Who else is nervous about Brawl, POTENTIALLY sucking?''

It wasn't based around japanese, it wasn't based on anything other than the question.. can Melee be topped? Or will Brawl be a wavedashless, watered down version of the game we know and love, to be more noob friendly and sell more copies. Had nothing, at all to do with anything sakurai ever, ever stated.

lol, I claimed I was cool? I said I was respected, and I am. How many times have your sad little posts been quoted in signatures by other members? I've counted 10 for me, not including my own btw.

Read above, check my thread.

Good to see the ''I hate Dylan'' club gather its forces for another attack on my reputation in another spam thread on the Brawl boards. Luckily I have wayyy more allies than enemies on these boards.

Found 599G!
Got 200 Experience Points!
Got 25 Tech Points!

Dylan_Tnga leveled up!
Dylan_Tnga learned Double Tech, Ice Sword 2!
Dylan_Tnga learned Double Tech, Fire Sword 2!

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
This isn't a popularity contest. Stick to the topic at hand, everyone stop bashing Dylan, and Dylan stop proclaiming how "respected" you are on the boards. People who are actually respected don't go around rubbing it in people's faces...in fact, that earns you quite the opposite of respect. Dylan will retaliate when people prod him - I know. You guys do too. Next time I see someone attempt to throw logs on the fire, you're getting warned.

gnosis

Smash Lord

Actually, he can change how it's played. Easily. In a very direct way, such as changing the controller, or in an indirect way, by making certain moves less favorable than others. While we can choose to play otherwise, he could make some choices less effective than others, thus making certain moves/characters/methods whatever much less common.

I gave examples of how the designers have shaped gameplay using exactly that method. How often do you see someone trying to rack up enough percent to kill with a throw in Melee (not counting the few characters who have 'kill throws')? It's possible, and we could choose to do it, but we don't because it's so ineffective.

Dylan_Tnga said:

Way to read, pal. I realized the 'potentially', and using the powers of synonyms, replaced it with 'might'. And it wasn't merely a question; it implied you were worried about it sucking, and now you've revealed that it really wasn't based on anything Sakurai said, just your feelings.

Now, I realize all discussion about this game is pretty worthless outside of entertainment, but how is basing this discussion off of how worried Dylan/anyone who agrees with Dylan is -less- worthless than basing it off of something(s) Sakurai said?

And don't say it is because I'm making such a big deal out of tiny things, because I'm really not. Read previous post for what I actually did.
Dylan_Tnga said:
Respect, e-cred, coolness on a forum... meh. Petty distinctions.

But do you really go around counting how often your quoted on the Brawl boards...? :(

As for me, none that I know of. I guess you win this round! Your e-**** is like, 10 times as big as mine or something. :(

Dylan_Tnga said:

I don't hate you at all really. I said you seemed annoying, and now I'm thinking over sensitive too. Or at least easily angered. I just said seemed though. You still have a chance to prove me wrong. Let's not be so confrontational about it; I don't consider you an enemy.

Who knows, maybe I'll join the 'Quoting Dylan in Their Sigs' club one day!

Edit: Didn't see Kokichi's warning til I posted; but I did try and make friends before I saw it anyway!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
This isn't a popularity contest. Stick to the topic at hand, everyone stop bashing Dylan, and Dylan stop proclaiming how "respected" you are on the boards. People who are actually respected don't go around rubbing it in people's faces...in fact, that earns you quite the opposite of respect. Dylan will retaliate when people prod him - I know. You guys do too. Next time I see someone attempt to throw logs on the fire, you're getting warned.
True, I'm like a bag of explosives. Don't poke me with a matches.

Gotcha, I'll stop being like ''Im a kewl kid''

Ill leave this thread in peace.

Well done Chi, without you I was about to lose it at the entire forum because of these endless attacks. Thanks.

@ Gnosis

some good points. I'll take it in stride.

Sariku

Smash Master
This is a sad day for us all. Dylan is one of the most popular members around here. I don't want to say RESPECTED right yet, but hes one of the most popular. Maybe not for a good reason, but does it freakin matter? I stand up for Dylan, he's my Anti-Drug.

Wait, I have to post on topic... What the hell does this topic mean anyways? It's Pointless, but I'll try and answer....

No. Sakurai is not watching me. Unless he has Google Earth. Then He Sees Everyone.

Everyone.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
ANOTHER MATCH WITH THE UNDEFEATABLE DYLAN!!!!

shame i didnt catch the beginning. and only the finale. . .

ONTOPIC: yeah, he is not American and does not write/speak Engrish well

Dacvak

Smash Ace
This is a sad day for us all. Dylan is one of the most popular members around here. I don't want to say RESPECTED right yet, but hes one of the most popular. Maybe not for a good reason, but does it freakin matter? I stand up for Dylan, he's my Anti-Drug.

Wait, I have to post on topic... What the hell does this topic mean anyways? It's Pointless, but I'll try and answer....

No. Sakurai is not watching me. Unless he has Google Earth. Then He Sees Everyone.

Everyone.

Holy Christ, do you ever add anything useful to a post? This isn't a bash or anything, but the last 4 threads I've posted in, you've had comments such as "QUIT MAKING THREADS! Just post in them!" or "THERE ARE NO SAMURAI! This thread is useless."

And who can forget such classics as "You asked this in the Info thread. And someone answered you." (Which I didn't, by the way), and "This should be in the characters forum!", and of course, "Tampons expand in the bath tub!" (Ok, I made that one up.)

The point is, there are a lot of people contributing worthless stuff, and fighting over stupid bullsh*t. Did we all forget that the entire point of a forum is to gather a bunch of information to discuss? Seriously, why don't we just talk about Brawl. You know, that Smash game coming out for the Wii? I promise that 99% of the topics started here are about the game, and not fighting. If you want to fight with people, go to a forum that specializes in such. Otherwise, why don't we stick to the topics. I promise you that in a few days, none of this will matter. Let's not aggrivate people if we don't have to.

Thanks,

~Dac

Top Bottom