• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai talks about future balance patch plans

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...ther-outside-fixes-improve-online-experience/

Check out this article!

/thread

SamuraiPanda EDIT: I'm taking the liberty to change the title of the thread to a less sensationalist and more accurate title. THE LINKED ARTICLE IS MISTRANSLATED

Nowhere did Sakurai state they will never patch the game again, he only says there are no current plans for that. They also mention in the article that they will be tweaking online bit by bit (whatever that means) and they will only patch custom moves if they are glaring problems with them. They additionally mention that there is a character that Sakurai thinks is average at best but has an abnormally high online win rate. The character is not mentioned.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Time to go learn some ATs. And here, I thought they would all be patched out.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Well at least I'm happy that I know that my replays will be kept. On the other hand, Diddy Kong will destroy SSB4's meta game, the false prophet will soon be revealed and Illuminati takes over the world.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Well at least I'm happy that I know that my replays will be kept. On the other hand, Diddy Kong will destroy SSB4's meta game, the false prophet will soon be revealed and Illuminati takes over the world.
Not really the end of the world. Sakurai did mention if there are glaring issues with the game, he may address them. Maybe if we complain about Diddy more to Sakurai, he will fix him. To be honest, I agree that Diddy Kong is definitly appearing in every tournament, but I would learn the MU and find ways to beat him.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Diddy isn't Meta Knight, though. Doesn't Diddy still have unfavorable matchups? Apparently Villager is nice against him, for reasons that I do not know, honestly.

Diddy may be top tier, but he probably won't destroy Smash 4's meta as much as Meta Knight did. MK had literally no unfavorable matchups.
Brawl still flourished in its meta, and even got a bit of appreciation as people expressed their condolences when Smash 4 for WiiU was released. There were apparently a lot of Melee players who were surprised how much the Brawl meta developed while they were gone.

Also, although I'm not a Mac main, I'm a bit relieved that this might have a chance at not getting patched. Mac has a zone that is clearly defined, and easy to stay away from and defend with a lot of characters.

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
this is good news, maybe now we can find some cool AT's. Also he'll stop nerfing mid tiers lol.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Are you sure?
Yes. The intent of the questions answered was more about moves being completely changed. Later in the article, they mention Diddy Kong being a problem. My source failed me :( Sorry, guys.

Last edited:

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Yes. The intent of the questions answered was more about moves being completely changed. Later in the article, they mention Diddy Kong being a problem.
Leave it to Eventhubs...

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Not really the end of the world. Sakurai did mention if there are glaring issues with the game, he may address them. Maybe if we complain about Diddy more to Sakurai, he will fix him. To be honest, I agree that Diddy Kong is definitly appearing in every tournament, but I would learn the MU and find ways to beat him.
It was just a joke.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
watch

once mewtwo comes out...........

becomes a 100% counter to diddy ..........

the tier list changes................

without a single patch needed.

Raijinken

Smash Master
watch

once mewtwo comes out...........

becomes a 100% counter to diddy ..........

the tier list changes................

without a single patch needed.
First of all, I love your sig, SRWZ is amazing.

Second, adding Mewtwo is a patch.

And lastly and unrelated to the quoted person's statement, having no plans to continue balance support does not mean there will not be balance patches. It means there aren't any planned (in other words, they're observing the meta and seeing if it seems close enough to fair over all).

Mewtwo wasn't planned to be playable. That changed. Other things can change. Play the game as it is, be aware that it can change.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I read the original scan and there is no mention of Diddy Kong whatsover. The only fighter they mention is Little Mac and there were simply talking about his strenghts and weaknesses as a character.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
I read the original scan and there is no mention of Diddy Kong whatsover. The only fighter they mention is Little Mac and there were simply talking about his strenghts and weaknesses as a character.
You should do an official translation, then, random forum goer that can say anything without many people being able to verify your statement! =D

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Link to the original scan?

The complete one, not the Eventhubs one.

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Diddy Kong and Luigi aren't mentioned in the article. Here's a quick translator by a redditor:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c..._no_real_plans_to_do_any_more_balance/cmv30zu

Sakurai states that they haven't made any plans for more patches, and that there's a character that Sakurai thinks is completely average or mediocre, but somehow has a stellar/top win rate. The character's name remains undisclosed, but it's obvious who it is
:4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness:
More translators are confirming this right now. According to the scan, it doesn't appear that Eventhubs got the entire interview.

japanese users on the site http://smashbros-matome.com/archives/18540694.html were speculating that Luigi or Diddy are the mystery character, so maybe that's where people got Diddy from .

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The best part will be, when there are future balance changes (seems super likely), we'll be treated to a variety of "SAKURAI LIED!" posts.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Link to the original scan?

The complete one, not the Eventhubs one.
http://smashbros-matome.com/archives/18540694.html

This is all I got. Don't know if there is anything else. I could buy the magazine instead...if I ever decide to walk to the library...

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/201...fixes-improve-online-experience-famitsu-scan/

The best part will be, when there are future balance changes (seems super likely), we'll be treated to a variety of "SAKURAI LIED!" posts.
True, Sakurai basically said that he isn't planning on anything right now and what the fanbase heard was: "I'm never, ever patching this game again".

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Honestly it's better for him to say what he said than to say "expect balance patches". Because then the masses won't play to adapt or learn, they'll just complain and blame balance.

But with this hands off approach, players won't look for that balance patch that won't be coming, players won't say things like "eh I'm not going to touch X character until a buff". (At least, the players who understand him. The majority of people seem to just think he won't balance the game at all, when this is a very standard and appropriate answer. Of course it's better to set expectations low and not have people under the assumption that the game is imbalanced, and it's not like he said he wouldn't balance the game ever again).

And then more people get upset and more QQing ensues T_T hehe

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
They just need to tone down Diddy and I think the game will be set anyway

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
http://smashbros-matome.com/archives/18540694.html

This is all I got. Don't know if there is anything else. I could buy the magazine instead...if I ever decide to walk to the library...

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/201...fixes-improve-online-experience-famitsu-scan/

True, Sakurai basically said that he isn't planning on anything right now and what the fanbase heard was: "I'm never, ever patching this game again".
So we only have the incomplete versions and that's what everybody is basing their opinion on. Okaaaay... Do you happen to know what magazine this has been published in?

Also for everyone to know, the article makes no mention of Diddy Kong at all. It also doesn't say "that they may fix glaring issues". Where are people getting this stuff from? They only mention they (currently) have no plans for a patch but that they may improve the online mode more little by little. Like Ryu said, they're not saying they will NEVER patch it again.

If someone would update the post on the home page to avoid spreading misinformation, that would be very nice.

Muro

Smash Lord
So we only have the incomplete versions and that's what everybody is basing their opinion on. Okaaaay... Do you happen to know what magazine this has been published in?

Also for everyone to know, the article makes no mention of Diddy Kong at all. It also doesn't say "that they may fix glaring issues". Where are people getting this stuff from? They only mention they (currently) have no plans for a patch but that they may improve the online mode more little by little. Like Ryu said, they're not saying they will NEVER patch it again.

If someone would update the post on the home page to avoid spreading misinformation, that would be very nice.
people want sakurai to care about competitive play so much they make up stuff...smh

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Everywhere I go, I see Diddy being the main subject.

Diddy Schmiddy, man.

Little Mac.

So I guess the crazy amount of character changes in 1.0.4 was Nintendo saying "We listen and we respond. FAST!" just to say they did it and give us the illusion that there's no more not even 2 months out? I refuse to believe.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Whoever was relaying information about Luigi/Diddy to I and others clearly must have been reading the comments thinking it was part of the article or something. Derp.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

That would be Famitsu. It's pretty much the only one that publishes Sakurai interviews.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
So where do we stand? Is DIDDY being balanced mentioned in the article or not?

sc458

Smash Cadet
I don't understand how Luigi got put in the same category as Diddy...

He has a dthrow > fair combo. He's not the only one.

*sigh* As someone hoping to get into translation in the near future, mistranslations make me sad.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I don't understand how Luigi got put in the same category as Diddy...

He has a dthrow > fair combo. He's not the only one.

*sigh* As someone hoping to get into translation in the near future, mistranslations make me sad.
It sounds like Luigi was merely mentioned by some random article comments.

Top Bottom