• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai realized he has turned Samus into a sex object?

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Pamela anderson For brawl.

No, pamela anderson has no sex apeal, what are you talking about. Just the fact that shes naked...whats the matter.

Seriosly though, I think we need to look at this a bit more maturly. It allo players to finaly see that samus is not male ( the amount of times ive heard that). Also, if anyone wants to see samus naked i'm sure theres pleny of fan art out there.

Not that I would know...

keroku_the_thunderwolf

Smash Apprentice
If she does have sex appeal, I wonder if that makes it uncomfortable for some characters like Link or something. It'd be pretty funny, actually. She would get hit by someone and she flies at Link chest first and he'd be like "Waaah!!" Or maybe deep in his mind he'd be like "heh heh heh..." j/k :p

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I don't thinl that Sakurai has turned Samus into a sex object because it's Nintendo, they dont do that kinda stuff. Not yet, i hope.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo themselves have said they wanted more fans. Not which type of fans. In fact they say they want everyone to get the Nintendo Wii...

Samus is not a sex object. Zamus is not a sex object. Shes just good looking. Nintendo has to appeal to more age groups.... some people WILL (no matter what) buy the game because of Zamus. If Samus was a sex object then they seriously would have kept her two piece from the past metroid games. So in other words....she isnt. Sex appeal IS there. I dont care what you think but the fact remains that it WILL get people to buy the game - intended or not.

This SHOULD NOT effect Samus as a developing character. Did you not play Zamus in your side scroller? Iirc, the new side of her is challenging to play as in the harder versions. Is this so new? Not reallly....I havent heard anyone complain about the side scroller so I dont expect to hear anyone complain about your new hot Zamus.

splat

Smash Lord
[random nonsense] there was sex appeal in melee as well, jigglypuff.
ah, jigglypuff..
ZOMG *faints* [/random nonsense]

anyway, who cares really. there is no nudity, you only see the shape of her body. do you go nuts when you see a woman in a bathing suit too? ZOMG! nudity. come on, grow up, you can't see a thing.

Even if they tried to do so, what is the problem with it? nintendo is just trying to grow with it's fans. IMO, it seems like they're stepping off of the childish look, and create some more dark themed games as well. Look at LoZ:TP, it has a much darker feel then older games, like LoZ:WW do.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
This is rediculous. if anyone finds an inanimate 3-d video game character sexy, needs a girlfriend.
No more ridiculous than getting scared by a game or excited or finding it funny, it's not different than finding a picture sexy. Hell I think samus is hot but it's not like I'm going to go buy the game because of it just so I can fap over it which is why this whole thread is silly. Also it's not inanimate in a game.

Knome

Smash Apprentice
Hey man. Its not that bad. I doubt Sakurai meant to give her sex appeal. I mean sure it zooms in on her butt then moves up to her face in the trailer but i dont think many people are going to pay much attenion Zamus' sexiness during gameplay. Besides, Nintedo said she'd remove the suit under special conditions(like being attacked too much) so maybe pros wont see Zamus in all her glory. And sorry if what I said made no sense.

At least they didnt do this in 3D.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

keroku_the_thunderwolf

Smash Apprentice
Well, she's got some sex and/or sexy related aura about her, otherwise Snake wouldn't be checking her out. Of course, he could just be like that, since I don't play MGS, so I wouldn't know.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
I guess from a feminist perspective, it's cool that female characters can now be both sexy and heroic or whatever.

But since feminism blows (and "sexy heroic female game character" is REALLY old news by now), I think it would be excessively awesome if, in just one game, there was a female character who was both Cool and also Not Attractive. Like, not every woman in the world is physically sexy, and it would be super-cool if a video game character had the real-life problem of being not attractive - but made up for it by kicking ***. THAT would be a cool character.

I also hate how Samus continually becomes more and more the sterotypical "North American ideal": blonde, skinny, etc. Remember in Metroid I when she was a brunette, had some curves, and wore a nerdy LEOTARD? That's my favorite Samus.

NES Metroid Samus for Brawl! :D

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
It is true that a lot of Samus Fans liked her because she was the only female video game character who spent nearly the entire game sex-appeal free. She was female, but for pretty much the whole of whichever metroid game you played that didn't matter, all that mattered was all the butt she kicked. Unlike other video game heroines (such as Lara Croft) who spent the entire game with full blown sex appeal, Samus managed to save the world without becoming a bimbo, which was and still is quite a feat for a video game heroine.

BUT: was this only beacuse Samus was hidden under her armor? That's the real question.

Yes, Zamus does have sex-appeal, and yes, Samus has traditionaly been mostly free of sex-appeal.

HOWEVER...
If the traditional Samus was only free of sex-appeal because she was completely hidden behind thick alien armor, then it was all a sham in the first place, and Sakurai hasn't turned samus into a sex object, he's only revealed the lie that she never was one.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
Well alot of gameers who dont really know Samus Now Knows that she's a girl * i know atleast 30 people who dont know she's a girl* well thats my thought oon the subject <.< samus should have be black......

Exenwyr

Smash Apprentice
Well, i for one think it's good that nintendo is giving her a figure... I feel that originality and variety are really what makes games... For example, when i picked up LoZ:TP You want to know what i was most excited about? No one character looks the same (tave the generic Zoras and generic Gorons).

In LoZ:TP, Telma has a v-cut shirt and shows some of her chest. does that make her a sex object? No. Does it add uniqueness and character? Yes. Does it suit her characterization? Yes.

Does Zamus fit her character? Well, she's still in a combat suit, shows practically no skin, and has her hair in a tight ponytail, as if she means business. I'd say yes. Is this in line with what we know about her? yes.

Zamus is only a sex symbol to the horny teenagers that pick up the game and puposely pause in the middle of a match to go "lawlbewbs". Anything can be made a sex symbol depending on the person's maturity/bizzare fantasies. for example, a completely nude samus would not be a sex symbol to gay men or straight women.

Grow up and don't worry about it. ;)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Roger that Exenwyr. However...

The question behind whether somebody is a sex symbol/object is simply the intent behind her design. Samus already has a ton of heroic qualities, and for the longest time she hasn't been portrayed in an oversexualized light. So her fans know her "kick ***, take names, and fly away before the base explodes" nature is not related to her gender at all. We know Samus for the heroic qualities she possesses. The fact that Samus is female is an afterthought, irrelevant to her qualities.

And, whether or not Samus' clothing in Zamus mode are appropriate... well, she's basically acting like a covert agent in deep space. She can't be wearing a parka. She goes crawling through vents, doing flips, shooting the carp out of space pirates... she would logically need mobility. So, of course, something skin tight would suit that. Ponytail? Best way to keep long hair from getting owned by your surroundings is to keep it tied up. Her outfit and costume makes sense.

I think, however, that there are a lot of people who aren't acquainted with Samus' character that will get a radically different impression from Zamus. She will be to a bunch of new people as another hot ninja heroine. Don't get me wrong, I'm for the hot womeninjas. But Samus isn't just that, and I think putting Zamus in this game will give people the wrong impression.

Summary: I think that the nature of having Zamus in will make her appear as a sex object to people unfamiliar with the Metroid series. There is nothing wrong with her character design--unless you think accurately portraying female anatomy is inherently bad--it is the fact OF Zamus' presence that makes her seem like a sex object.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
This is rediculous. if anyone finds an inanimate 3-d video game character sexy, needs a girlfriend.
You can apply this to so many different mediums that your statement ends up being dumb.

"That artwork of a naked women isn't ever sexy, it's just a bunch of ink"
"That tv chick isn't ever sexy, it's just an image being sent to us by cable"
"It doesn't matter if that wallpaper depicts a woman that would be alluring in real life, it's just a bunch of pixels"

Why stop there?

"That REAL-LIFE chick can't really look hot because all it is is light bouncing off her body and my brain receiving and interpreting these packets of energy"

As long as a medium depicts something, our brain is going to draw information from the real life to explain it. If we see 2 clouds next to each other with a larger, stringy cloud underneath, the brain recognizes a face. So it doesn't matter if it's a video game character on the screen, we're gonna see a person, and if that person was designed to be sexy, we're also going to see that.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"She's more than happy to strip for you if you did a good job."

Yeah, but in the original she was kinda chunky and wore a SUPER nerdy bikini (or even a bîtchin' pink leotard when you played as her)!

Slightly-chunky brunette Samus in a nerdy pink leotard would be my pick for a Zamus model.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I'm marginally sure that's just due to the graphical restrictions of the NES and they didn't intend for her to be "chunky" (although she doesn't look that chunky to me in that screenshot).

It'd have been... interesting if they'd gone with a Mrs. Arrow motif for her, though.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
"anyway, who cares really. there is no nudity, you only see the shape of her body. do you go nuts when you see a woman in a bathing suit too? ZOMG! nudity. come on, grow up, you can't see a thing.

Even if they tried to do so, what is the problem with it? nintendo is just trying to grow with it's fans. IMO, it seems like they're stepping off of the childish look, and create some more dark themed games as well. Look at LoZ:TP, it has a much darker feel then older games, like LoZ:WW do."

finafreakingly someone has a smart post. the only issue is that Nintendo just needs to be careful to not go to far and cause any NEW Nintendo fans to be turned away from the previous series of LoZ or Metroid. So far tho I think they are doing a great job at avoiding that problem

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
Maturing=/=Nudity

Nintendo made their new games more mature by upping the difficulty, changing the art style and making the story better, not by making the characters wear seductive clothing. Not that I don't support Samus actually being attractive under the suit, it's better than some hairy fat girl.

Kiris

Smash Cadet
Samus is Samus, The skintight outfit doesn't change my opinion on her. I would just love for Snake to show a little personality in the game and be looking at her breasts at some point.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Samus is Samus, The skintight outfit doesn't change my opinion on her. I would just love for Snake to show a little personality in the game and be looking at her breasts at some point.
He's staring at her arse in the World Trailer when she lands... What do you want him to automatically look at her chest whilst fighting, heh that'd be funny.

1338h4x

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Zamus would make for some serious mindgames. ^_^

Anyway, as I said before, pretty much everyone knew she's female. But how many people have seen her under the mask before now? How many saw her without the suit entirely? That was supposed to be a representation of a major accomplishment in a Metroid game. Even Melee had a Samus Unmasked trophy, but to get it you needed to win (Or was it participate? I know one got you Mario on Yoshi, the other got Samus Unmasked...) a tournament in Japan. Now everyone has seen her beneath the suit, and all they had to do was sign on to Youtube. That kind of ruined things for those who speedran Metroid games.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I think the solution is to balance the female sexyness with the male sexyness. Samus is a good-looking woman with a skin-tight outfit - pretty high on the sexyness scale. Do we have any male counterparts? Yes! Captain Falcon: a good-looking male with a skin-tight outfit.

See, Sakurai isn't just turning Samus into a sex object - he's balancing the game's sex appeal so people of all sexual preferences can enjoy the game equally.

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
How else would you make her look? Shes gonna fight in what baggy cloths? Black cloths? perhaps a ninja outfit? But heck why wouldn't they make her fat? NO ONE WANTS TO LOOK AT A FAT PERSON. Shes average. There not gonna give her picachus @$$ are they? Therye gonna make her look like a women. Suck it up she looks like a women.

gravsamus4747

Smash Rookie
i concur aj, and being more of a hobbyist smasher i actually have some time to go and interact with women so i dont get extremely uptight when i see a spandex clad woman i also wont pop one whenever i turn on the game and see Zamus in her feminine glory so if you find Zamus so sultry for you i think you should find a different date than palmela handersen

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
i agree. noob. 3v1. 3v1. i beat you chad and josh 3v1. hahahaha ps i was using the chunk controller and they were all trying haha

gravsamus4747

Smash Rookie
aj we both know two things, that you are a god walking among mortals when it comes to smash and chad is f***ing lazy (#2, my skinny white ***, he is in for a rude awakening when i master all the little nuances that ive learned in my short time on smahs boards) i did all the work that match

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
haha i agree mr ferguson. i would like to thank all the little people that made this possible. Jesus, you mr ferguson, chad. and last but not skinny don.

Top Bottom