• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai knows what he is doing

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart, and Strikers had way better online stuff... I think we remember that ranking system in strikers. I think we remember how great the match making was in Mario Kart.
Mario Kart's for the DS, and I think they tweaked their online business Model for the Wii

and if Strikers Ranking system had anything to do with the random Matchmaking bull****,then i think I prefer the way Brawl does it. If it's something different, enlighten me

and exactly how would you rank people, over all or having seperate statistics for, 1v1, 2v2, tema, FFA

how would you handle disconnects, whether intentional or accidental?

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
If your asking me personally note that I wouldnt make the entire decision but everyone and the smash senate would but here's what I'd do.

You'd count wins and loses on matches, it'd be optional though (similar to netbattle). The more wins rather then loses you would be ranked higher. You would gain extra points if you beat people who were ranked good. AS far as DCers. They wouldn't be able to play for 20-30 mins. Note that people are still going to DC in unranked matches though.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
and not all DCs are intentional. I've been kicked from practically every Strikers game i tried to play online.

Then there's the matter of the lag.

MY only point is, You may not like the way online is right now, or how other things were/are implemented. Doesn't mean you could implement it better even if you feel you've though of better implementation

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Very true, I would like that, but it's not a dealbreaker. It could use a lot of features, but besides the aforementioned complaints, it's not really doing anything wrong. Could if use more though? Definitely.

superorange

Smash Rookie
I actually LIKE the no-names system. Keeps people from disconnecting at certain names, or being general jerks. Wanna fight people you know? FC system. God knows there's going to be thousands of FC trades on here.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
There are many problems with the online play and it's hard to deny, I mean do you like the following...

No voice chat or any communication what so ever
No selection choice in spectator mode
Not able to know who your fighting against unless it's your friend
No custom taunts unless it's with your friend

I mean, come on, it sucks. I'm tired of fanboys acting like the online play is good, it's terrible.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
1. I don't use voice chat that much, even on Xbox LIVE
2. Not that big of an issue. you'd use this to watch random matches. Anything but and ppl start saying the winner rigged it somehow.
3. True, I would like to see that, but it's Nintendo's "OMG EVER1 ON TEH INTERNETS WILL **** YOU!" policy, so that will never change.
4. Couldnt agree more. So what if you curse in your taunt? Just block it somehow. Blizzard's been doing that for years.

EDIT: It's not that I like them, but I just don't mind either way.

The bottom two could go under the "total lack of communication" Thing I said earlier.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
and the non-communication issue is because there is no Nintendo headset suppot, and their system assumes anyone playing online will molest children so "better safe than sorry" and in Nintendo's case, sued.

So 1 is out of Sakurai's control, 2 doesn't bother me a bit, I don't care either way.

I like three, only thing I would add is the ability to exchange friend codes, so I could play them not randomly.
and see Paper Link's post, since I agree about point 4

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Hypnotist is right; it could have been done way better. I'm satisfied with how it is now but there is so much more room for improvement on it.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
well, yes, i'd like it, but not having it wouldn't be a problem for me. They could've done better, but I think what we have now is fine. I guess I'm not someone who throws up a red flag at anything I don't like.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Well that's what I wanted to hear... it's fine. It's mediocre. This is like Dreamcast online (actually worse) but we're at the 7th Gen, Nintendo (and Sakurai, the spectator mode was his idea) needs to step it up.

Nintendo needs to relax on the "you gunna get *****" policy they have.

Spectator mode is fine for what it is, especially since it's optional, and there wouldn't have been any *****ing if it wasn't included. Some people might like the online system in place, some may want a few changes but not to the extent that it essentially becomes XBL.

but saying you could do better, since I doubt most of you are experienced programmers, is pretty arrogant.

Frogla

Smash Ace
@ Hypnotist

I remember this forum years ago, people were yearning hey even complaining that we didn't have an online Smash. And now when we get one people still complain, i guess thats people for you. You got Ying you want Yang. But be happy with what you have and stop complaining. We could have no Online at all.

Tony_

Smash Ace
There are many problems with the online play and it's hard to deny, I mean do you like the following...

No voice chat or any communication what so ever
No selection choice in spectator mode
Not able to know who your fighting against unless it's your friend
No custom taunts unless it's with your friend

I mean, come on, it sucks. I'm tired of fanboys acting like the online play is good, it's terrible.
Play Halo 3 then. We don't need that **** in brawl.

PaperLink

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo needs to relax on the "you gunna get *****" policy they have.

Spectator mode is fine for what it is, especially since it's optional, and there wouldn't have been any *****ing if it wasn't included. Some people might like the online system in place, some may want a few changes but not to the extent that it essentially becomes XBL.

but saying you could do better, since I doubt most of you are experienced programmers, is pretty arrogant.

Yeah. It's fine to whine about it (that's what forums are for, right?),since it isn't perfet, but saying regular ppl could do better than proffesionals is a bit arrongant.

EDIT: 100th post! YAY! I feel so special! I'd like to thank Classic-Black and The Hypnotist for keeping me going!

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
this is Nintendo's first attempt for home consoles. I don't think Sony online for the ps2 was that great either. SO even with doing what they did on the DS with the Wii, they don't have the experience that would come with a online system like XBL or...HOme ? (Sony's service)

It would be better by the time Wii Two comes out

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
yeah, it's their first online home console, but looking at what the DS did, there's just no excuse that Mario Kart DS has more depth than Brawl.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
WHen did MKDS hit, in terms of the DS life cycle? That, in relation to Brawl's release in the Wii's cycle might have something to do with it. There's also the tightening of policy that seemed to happen with the jump to the Wii

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Growing up with Nintendo, SNES, N64, etc all my life and loving LoZ, Smash, and some MArio, you can say I obviously like Nintendo a lot. But I have to admit that Wii still failed as a system and online. Yes, I like my Wii and some of its games, but they made it so weak and gave it a wtf online.

So I have to write down a 16 digit number to add a friend. and THEN have another number to play with them for that game only. I mean, c'mon what is that? Why can't we just have usernames so I can add my friend "Random Smasher24"? And instead of us both having to mutually add our numbers over the phone or IM, he can just get a friend request and accept it or deny it. I can't even send a text message to a person unless we're mutual friends already.

Even if I play with someone on Strikers, I can't add them or talk to them after a match, they must go away because I'm 7 years old and they're a 38 year old pedofile and them playing another game with me in the future will result in me being *****.

The game would have more depth if it had better online. Also, no communication whatsoever during a match? Yes, the limited online they are giving us adds more depth than it was already, but if Wii's online was even 5% of XBL's we'd have a ton more fun.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
No he does not. I met him on the streets today and he told me so. He also kept talking about how much of a mistake it was to bring the Ice Climbers back.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, that's on Nintendo, but I just wish they had better online. But I'm sure Sakurai is doing the best they could with what they were given.
Also agreed. I just don't like people holding online against him when Nintendo gimped it up from the get go.

Really, the only think I really need would be an easier way to set up a friends list, and Headset support that allowed me to mute it so I don't have to deal with racist/sexist/"ZOMG HAX" on the other end. I don't think even XBL does the latter

Top Bottom