• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I suppose hardcore Melee players "grammar" a lot better then?

If anything, hardcore Brawl players have yet to give a sound reason as to why they like it more than Melee aside from the fact that they were bad at Melee and Brawl is easier for them to play. That's it. So, no, they are not better at arguing; unless, you could be saying that spamming that Brawl is more "fun" is an argument, they have us beat :D
Um... I've totally given reasons for that, and they had nothing to do with what game you play better. I believe it had something to do with 'Brawl is different (regardless of how) from what we've been playing for ~7 years' and 'some people are totally ok with (and might even like) change'. Oh, and 'it focuses on things that Melee focused on, but in different ways and with varying degrees of importance.' I know not everyone agrees but there's always the classic 'Brawl's gameplay balance is ahead of Melee's in certain important ways, such as giving power characters enough power to make up for a lack of speed (see: Ike / Dedede)'.

See? I (and others) have given plenty of reasons that Brawl can be played competitively, regardless of its standing in comparison to Melee. It's just... we're usually called 'n00bs' or told we must have sucked at Melee when we present these points.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I suppose hardcore Melee players "grammar" a lot better then?

If anything, hardcore Brawl players have yet to give a sound reason as to why they like it more than Melee aside from the fact that they were bad at Melee and Brawl is easier for them to play. That's it. So, no, they are not better at arguing; unless, you could be saying that spamming that Brawl is more "fun" is an argument, they have us beat :D
Uhh...I'm confused; do you favor Melee or Brawl? In the beginning, you're basically insulting hardcore Melee players, and then at the end you're insulting hardcore Brawl players. How am I supposed to argue/agree with you if I don't know what side you're on?

In any case, isn't it obvious why someone would like Brawl better? OK, some ATs got taken out, and tripping was added in...but there's all new stuff, including new ATs, but mainly things like

By the same token, while I myself do not intend to go back to Melee consistently, (i.e., the video game I spend all of my time on) I can see that there are advantages to going back to Melee. There's a whole different playstyle in Melee, with Wavedashing, different items, different characters, non-nerfed characters, no tripping, etc. I can see both sides of the argument.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I know not everyone agrees but there's always the classic 'Brawl's gameplay balance is ahead of Melee's in certain important ways, such as giving power characters enough power to make up for a lack of speed (see: Ike / Dedede)'.
Well, first of all, is balance necessarily better? Sure, Starcraft is competitive and balanced, but many other major fighting games have a sort of "top tier" a.k.a characters that are just naturally better than others. I think Street Fighter is an example, but I'm not exactly a big SF buff, so I wouldn't know. I am sure, however, that a game doesn't need all of its characters to be balanced to be competitive.

And also, you only mention power vs speed. Well, in Brawl, there seems to be a new dichotomy: big vs small. I don't care how fast or slow Lucas is, the fact is, my Snake can not pseudo-chain grab a down throw on him. I dthrow -> I shield (ready to shield grab) -> he gets up normally -> I attempt to shield grab -> OH **** HE'S TOO SHORT... As opposed to a larger or taller character, like Marth or Ike.

Another example of this size imbalance is Samus. If you're keeping up with the competitive community, you'll know that Samus (regular, not ZSS) has an AT called the z-air, where she uses her midair grapple as an attack, due to its helpful properties (i.e. no lag on landing, high priority, insane range). However, since one must execute this z-air while falling (rising z-air isn't as effective) it is not possible to get the sweetspot out below a certain height. Samus essentially becomes a brick wall against Snake, Ike, Marth, Dedede (for offensive approaches anyway. Spam is still somewhat of a problem). However, she has poor matchups against Diddy or Pikachu.

TL;DR version:
1. Why is balanced necessarily better?
2. This game isn't as "balanced" as many people think it is...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Why are AT's or options better? Why is anything better in this whole god-forsaken argument? Preference. That's all. That's what this whole thing boils down to. So, yeah, to some people, balance is kind of important when you have a 35 character roster (or however many we have now). To some people, balance can go to hell as long as they have one or two people they can use. Do I care what people think is better? No. Do I care what I think is better? Yes. What do I think is better? ...I'm not telling because it wouldn't add to the argument anyway.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Why are AT's or options better? Why is anything better in this whole god-forsaken argument? Preference. That's all. That's what this whole thing boils down to. So, yeah, to some people, balance is kind of important when you have a 35 character roster (or however many we have now). To some people, balance can go to hell as long as they have one or two people they can use. Do I care what people think is better? No. Do I care what I think is better? Yes. What do I think is better? ...I'm not telling because it wouldn't add to the argument anyway.
The argument is about competition, not what people like better. Competition favors AT's over balance.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Stop thinking brawl is balanced lol. There are already some matchups as bad or worse than low tier vs. sheik in melee.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
The argument is about competition, not what people like better. Competition favors AT's over balance.
Competiton favors no such thing; we favor AT's over balance. As long as two people are competing, the concept of 'competition' couldn't care less. We (some people) believe that movement options facilitates competition in any number of ways (read: see other pages of this thread). Others believe that a lack of demand for tech skill (that AT's inherently demand) shifts the focus to other aspects of play (mastery of a character's specific attributes, rather than shared attributes, mindgaming, control of situation, etc.). Both are competitive, just in different ways, which means that they cater to different kinds of people.

So, yeah. Competition, in and of itself, couldn't care less about AT's. Our particular views on competition, however, make it seem like competition and AT's (or whatever) go hand in hand.

EDIT @thesage: I didn't say I thought Brawl was balanced; I said that some people think that it is more balanced than Melee. I owned someone playing Ike today with Toon Link (we were, coincidentally, doing balance testing) because my speed totally outclassed his power. But... I had to play incredibly defensively, because he could kill me at like 65-80%. I won more, but it was way harder (took more effort) for me to kill him than for him to kill me. So, for what I experienced today, yeah, I thought it was pretty balanced. Bad matchup, but it's not like Toon Link doesn't have bad matchups, and it's not like Ike doesn't have good ones.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You guys fail at reading. When you discover my point, side, and motive, then you will be good enough for a debate with me.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You guys fail at reading. When you discover my point, side, and motive, then you will be good enough for a debate with me.
Stop acting like you're superior to us all, you're not, especially not if you're going to act like that.

You made your point, side and motive completely unclear, that's like painting something completely gray and then telling people they're not worthy of them until they can find a picture in there. I already read your post thoroughly, and I already posted that you seemed to be against people who like Melee and those who like Brawl.

Unless, of course, this means that you play both and think that anyone who plays any single one is a moron. In any case, you're really not worth my time to try and figure out what the heck you're saying, and I really would rather not debate with someone who thinks they're better than everyone else anyways, so it's a moot point.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
AT's = competitive because they give your character more functions. With more functions available, it increases what your character is capable of doing, leading to more ways you can use that character in a competitive situation.

The more ATs there are, the more differing play styles you'll see emerging.

Having said that, I was an avid Melee player and I prefer Brawl's pace and preference of attack.

In Melee, multi-hit attacks like Zelda's Fsmash were all escapable and generally a bad idea over strong single-hit moves. In Brawl, AAA combos as well as multi-hitting attacks are a lot better and I just love that.

I've also always been a defensive player in Melee, so it would be natural that I enjoy Brawl a lot more. Personally I think this game may not be deeper in a technical sense, but it's still highly competitive if more for the actual PLAYERS themselves and what they can do with their characters rather than just the characters and their attributes.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Stop acting like you're superior to us all, you're not, especially not if you're going to act like that.

You made your point, side and motive completely unclear, that's like painting something completely gray and then telling people they're not worthy of them until they can find a picture in there. I already read your post thoroughly, and I already posted that you seemed to be against people who like Melee and those who like Brawl.

Unless, of course, this means that you play both and think that anyone who plays any single one is a moron. In any case, you're really not worth my time to try and figure out what the heck you're saying, and I really would rather not debate with someone who thinks they're better than everyone else anyways, so it's a moot point.
Read it again. If you still don't get it, go back to the post before that one that I made. If you still don't, go before that one. My side is with no one. I'm on no one's team. I am superior.

I like melee more. I'll tell you that much, but unless you are going to look into my conversation, there really is no reason for me to look into yours... now is there? I'm not sorry if you get angry at me, but try not to. If anything, I want someone to just tell me why Brawl is better without having some arbitrary ideology or idiotic reasoning into it.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Read it again. If you still don't get it, go back to the post before that one that I made. If you still don't, go before that one. My side is with no one. I'm on no one's team. I am superior.

I like melee more. I'll tell you that much, but unless you are going to look into my conversation, there really is no reason for me to look into yours... now is there? I'm not sorry if you get angry at me, but try not to. If anything, I want someone to just tell me why Brawl is better without having some arbitrary ideology or idiotic reasoning into it.
I thought I allready summed that up at a much earlier post

what's better in brawl?

more and better stages

stage builder

more characters = more variety in match ups

new stuff to learn, new characters to learn, etc'

better gameplay balance between characters - this might be debatable to opinion, but eventually I think this will prove true.

Online playability

and those are the things that actually matter to people playing the game, the things I skipped are "better graphics, more detailed design, better and much bigger soundtrack, new single player modes to play, a crap load of new possibilities for the revamped old modes, the SSE, new trophies and stickers to collect" and etc'

Corigames

Smash Hero
more and better stages

More stages with walls to infinite off of. More stages that kill you instantly. Melee stages are small in comparison to model size. Ceilings are low. The stages still gimp you a lot. I'll grant you more, but not better. And the "more" counts for little considering so many have to be banned.

stage builder

This while this is cool, I'll address this along with the last paragraph

more characters = more variety in match ups

new stuff to learn, new characters to learn, etc'

What new stuff? There isn't anything to learn passed "press buttons". Are you losing? Press buttons more! The new characters don't have anything to really learn, everything in Brawl is soooo straight forward. Probably the most complicated "new" character is Wario, but only because of the weirdness of his motorcycle move.

better gameplay balance between characters - this might be debatable to opinion, but eventually I think this will prove true.

No, and I doubt it.

Online playability

How has this been good. I've only hear and only have complaints about it. You never get any good competition in the open areas. You can't change the rules there, let alone the items or if you want special brawls. It's way too limiting. Then, even if you go into a private match, you have a horrible host advantage, there's no in-game way to truly communicate, and there is enough lag that it makes the game even spammier. If anything, the online is just a pleasant distraction.

and those are the things that actually matter to people playing the game, the things I skipped are "better graphics, more detailed design, better and much bigger soundtrack, new single player modes to play, a crap load of new possibilities for the revamped old modes, the SSE, new trophies and stickers to collect" and etc'

All the art in the game doesn't completely matter. Yes, the game looks good. Yes, the game sounds good. But would it fundamentally change how the game is played if it looked like Snes Graphics? Not really. I love the graphics, soundtrack, and all that, but it doesn't change the fact the the game will run how it runs. Single player in a lot of games in is fun, but it hasn't been a strong point in smash ever. I take this with me to Brawl also. While I enjoyed playing through the SSE, I don't see me playing any part of it again any time soon. Why? It's not fun anymore. The only reason to do half of the challenges is to just unlock things, after you have, what's the point? Get the high score? Sorry, but I doubt anyone can pull the names off the top of their heads who got the longest distance with Peach on the home-run contest in melee. No one cares, they just care about the fights.

I love exploration and collection games. I love Metroid. I also love Harvest moon, Animal crossings, and other games like that. They are fun. But look at those games, it fits the genre. Why am I collecting stuff in a fighter? It seems a little out of place or tact-on whther you like the feature or not. Speaking of tat-on though, what about the stage builder? The most you can do is take simple blocks and make a "fun" level. Aside from that, you can't use it much. If you make a tournament worthy stage, what will it be but a clone of a level that is already made? On top of that, the builder is extremely limiting as it only gives you certain pieces and allows for a certain number of parts. I've had fun using it, but I would never use any of my custom stages in a serious match.
While I agree that a lot of those are positive points for Brawl, none of them truly stand out as something that would define Brawl as the better one. On top of that being my opinion, I suppose, I try to back it up with legitimate reasons. All the ascetics that make the game look better surely are a big plus, but nothing else is really that big. Sure there are more characters, but that just means more characters will be left in the dust. I don't think the game is more balanced, and anyone who says that hasn't given all the characters a try or has watched some of the one sided fights people who just picked up the game give to people who main "bad" characters. It's sad.

Lastly, while this derives from my initial point, there are so many negative things that were added in. Everyone knows how bad tripping is, so I won't even touch that. The intentional removal of special advanced tactics to try to make the game less of a sport is a direct insult to the faces of all those people who played melee professionally. Powershields are easy to do now, but lost their reflective properties, something I would be willing to have in a spam happy game if it meant losing the easy part. The excessive number of people who can chain grab and to very high percents or off the stage. Camping is an amazing strategy. Spammy characters are very good. And the best technique in use right now is shield grabbing, wow.

The cons definitely outweigh the pros, but I guess it all depends on how YOU look at things. I see a lot of what you consider to be good as bad, and you see things differently for my perceptions. I still think there isn't anything that specifically makes Brawl better (thoigh, now, I'll make sure to say "Excluding graphics and sound), but I assume that I now see where you guys are coming from on certain issues.

Thanks for one person actually reading.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
you are welcome...

and just so everyone knows...
(and you can quote me on this)

COREYGAMES IS SUPERIOR TO EVERYONE!!!!

that's right... everyone...

now that i've put that out there, i will continue to stalk pink reaper in everythread...
haha my posts are fun...
i'm superior too lolololxxxorzzzz

I.T.P

Smash Ace
While I agree that a lot of those are positive points for Brawl, none of them truly stand out as something that would define Brawl as the better one. On top of that being my opinion, I suppose, I try to back it up with legitimate reasons. All the ascetics that make the game look better surely are a big plus, but nothing else is really that big. Sure there are more characters, but that just means more characters will be left in the dust. I don't think the game is more balanced, and anyone who says that hasn't given all the characters a try or has watched some of the one sided fights people who just picked up the game give to people who main "bad" characters. It's sad.

Lastly, while this derives from my initial point, there are so many negative things that were added in. Everyone knows how bad tripping is, so I won't even touch that. The intentional removal of special advanced tactics to try to make the game less of a sport is a direct insult to the faces of all those people who played melee professionally. Powershields are easy to do now, but lost their reflective properties, something I would be willing to have in a spam happy game if it meant losing the easy part. The excessive number of people who can chain grab and to very high percents or off the stage. Camping is an amazing strategy. Spammy characters are very good. And the best technique in use right now is shield grabbing, wow.

The cons definitely outweigh the pros, but I guess it all depends on how YOU look at things. I see a lot of what you consider to be good as bad, and you see things differently for my perceptions. I still think there isn't anything that specifically makes Brawl better (thoigh, now, I'll make sure to say "Excluding graphics and sound), but I assume that I now see where you guys are coming from on certain issues.

wow, your response is so full of opinion = fact and bias towards Melee that I can't help but responding.

"More stages with walls to infinite off of. More stages that kill you instantly. Melee stages are small in comparison to model size. Ceilings are low. The stages still gimp you a lot. I'll grant you more, but not better. And the "more" counts for little considering so many have to be banned."

there are barely any stages with walls in this game, it has a lot more neutral stages than Melee had, approx 9-11 stages are being considered for neutral, with 6 of them basically agreed upon, and there are around 10-20 stages agreed upon or considered for counterpick, no matter how much your opinion of these stages is bad, the fact is the stages are more varied, more balanced, and generally better.

"What new stuff? There isn't anything to learn passed "press buttons". Are you losing? Press buttons more! The new characters don't have anything to really learn, everything in Brawl is soooo straight forward. Probably the most complicated "new" character is Wario, but only because of the weirdness of his motorcycle move."

this is so much fanboism for the previous game and so much BS that I won't even bother much. the sheer fact you have to accumalate for move decay, and that you have new characters with new moves and new statistics.
and that old characters have changed\new moves, and everything is different, means you have to learn everything again, and while it seems stupid and easy, people will learn to manipulate their moves in ways you're not used to dealing with, and you'll have to learn "new stuff" to deal with it.

"No, and I doubt it." - Debatable opinion, you also didn't think that Melee tournaments were consistantly won by high-top tier characters only, which has been proven by fact.

"How has this been good. I've only hear and only have complaints about it. You never get any good competition in the open areas. You can't change the rules there, let alone the items or if you want special brawls. It's way too limiting. Then, even if you go into a private match, you have a horrible host advantage, there's no in-game way to truly communicate, and there is enough lag that it makes the game even spammier. If anything, the online is just a pleasant distraction."

I'd rather be able to play my friend that lives 3-4 hours of public transportation away without having to move an inch, and have a small bit of lag from time to time if my connection is bad, than not being able to play him at all.

any online > no online, and smash's online works pretty well all throughout israel as long as I have a good connection.

"All the art in the game doesn't completely matter. Yes, the game looks good. Yes, the game sounds good. But would it fundamentally change how the game is played if it looked like Snes Graphics? Not really. I love the graphics, soundtrack, and all that, but it doesn't change the fact the the game will run how it runs. Single player in a lot of games in is fun, but it hasn't been a strong point in smash ever. I take this with me to Brawl also. While I enjoyed playing through the SSE, I don't see me playing any part of it again any time soon. Why? It's not fun anymore. The only reason to do half of the challenges is to just unlock things, after you have, what's the point? Get the high score? Sorry, but I doubt anyone can pull the names off the top of their heads who got the longest distance with Peach on the home-run contest in melee. No one cares, they just care about the fights.

I love exploration and collection games. I love Metroid. I also love Harvest moon, Animal crossings, and other games like that. They are fun. But look at those games, it fits the genre. Why am I collecting stuff in a fighter? It seems a little out of place or tact-on whther you like the feature or not. Speaking of tat-on though, what about the stage builder? The most you can do is take simple blocks and make a "fun" level. Aside from that, you can't use it much. If you make a tournament worthy stage, what will it be but a clone of a level that is already made? On top of that, the builder is extremely limiting as it only gives you certain pieces and allows for a certain number of parts. I've had fun using it, but I would never use any of my custom stages in a serious match. "

Custom stages can be used as alternative neutral stages, and I believe the only problem with it is that you need to carry them around on an SD, there's no problem in having serious or even tournament matches on custom stages.

other than that, everything else you just said there is pure biased opinion, many people like smash's replay value and like collecting things, and this is a legitamate point as to why this game is better than the previous one, even though it doesn't affect gameplay.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
also...
I.T.P. is inferior to all existence (including tripping in brawl)

how's that for intelligent debate?
ooooooo, look at me, I can insult random people who like brawl and actually bother to write their reasons for liking it...

this is just annoying, stop trolling.

Corigames

Smash Hero
There are a lot of people who say that their opinions are facts. I made it painstakingly clear that those were my opinions as to why I had not found a sound reason yet. If you have a dissenting opinion, fine, but don't put words in my mouth.

I think that having no online than crap online is a good thing. The could have taken out any attempt at online in favor of making more levels, adding more options (like a god ****ed on/off switch for tripping), or anything else. At least, it would be nice if you could do more with it or if they were able to reduce the lag. Sheesh, 16 vs 16 Halo matches didn't lag as bad as some of these 4 player FFA, and that shouldn't happen!

And, for someone who claims that I say my opnion is fact...:
"the fact is the stages are more varied, more balanced, and generally better."
"Melee tournaments were consistantly won by high-top tier characters only, which has been proven by fact."
"this is a legitamate point as to why this game is better than the previous one, even though it doesn't affect gameplay."

Don't be a hypocrite.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
ooooooo, look at me, I can insult random people who like brawl and actually bother to write their reasons for liking it...

this is just annoying, stop trolling.
i tried reading your posts thoroughly and found myself saying exactly what everyone else is telling you...
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!!
you contradict yourself...
you make ignorant statements and then call others ignorant...
so i choose to be a jerk to you and let everyone else continue to explain why you're an idiot...

(2:44:58 AM) ThePinkReaperr: wtf is wrong with ITP?
(2:45:09 AM) ThePinkReaperr: Does he really believe the random crap he says?
(2:45:26 AM) lumpy oaf man: haha i don't even read his mile long posts anymore...
(2:45:55 AM) lumpy oaf man: i just pretend i wasted 7 minutes reading that improvised garbage he calls posts...
(2:46:06 AM) lumpy oaf man: then give a smartass remark hahah
(2:46:13 AM) ThePinkReaperr: lol

:laugh::dizzy::):laugh:
haha i know i don't know you... but i'm perfectly ok with that. hahahaa

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
So... why don't the Brawl forums have a "Blind Love" thread so that we can clean up the other half of the rubbish posts I have to encounter everyday.

And, your dickery fails when people talk about problems with Brawl and not just make posts complaining. People who like Brawl aren't the only ones allowed to talk about it >_>
I agree. One thread for Brawl complaints, one for Brawl love. Every other thread can focus on non-qualitative discussions. Fair?

I'm all for people being allowed to express their opinion, even if I disagree with them strongly. I just don't think we need more than one thread per-topic. And right now, we have far too many Brawl complaint threads floating around, each going over the same tired debate.

Anyway, Wiseguy has the best sig ever.
:) Thanks, my bro made the sig and I'm very happy with it.

(And yes, the presence of Captain Olimar does make Brawl better than Melee. By far. :p)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
There are a lot of people who say that their opinions are facts. I made it painstakingly clear that those were my opinions as to why I had not found a sound reason yet. If you have a dissenting opinion, fine, but don't put words in my mouth.

I think that having no online than crap online is a good thing. The could have taken out any attempt at online in favor of making more levels, adding more options (like a god ****ed on/off switch for tripping), or anything else. At least, it would be nice if you could do more with it or if they were able to reduce the lag. Sheesh, 16 vs 16 Halo matches didn't lag as bad as some of these 4 player FFA, and that shouldn't happen!

And, for someone who claims that I say my opnion is fact...:
"the fact is the stages are more varied, more balanced, and generally better."
"Melee tournaments were consistantly won by high-top tier characters only, which has been proven by fact."
"this is a legitamate point as to why this game is better than the previous one, even though it doesn't affect gameplay."

Don't be a hypocrite.
Look at stage discussions in the stage disscussion forum, this really is a fact.

same for number 2, it's a fact that high-top tier characters won the vast majority of Melee tournaments, which is why they're high\top tier.

Legitimate point != fact, I didn't even say brawl is better than Melee, I said there are particular points in which Brawl is better than Melee, no matter which way you look at it.

having online is an addition, no one forced you to use it, but a lot of people will use it as a reason for liking brawl over Melee. even if it is laggier than it should be, it is there and it works, which is nice.

saying they could've "not done any online and work on other things" is a big what if, you can't seriously know that.

all of my statements were pure objective details as to things that improved between the games, and your comments were extremely against the game with no justification or good reason. I'm not saying the gameplay is better than Melee, I'm not sure I like the game as much as I liked Melee, or that I will play it for as long as I played melee, I was merely pointing out things that are in favour of the game.

the game has new stuff to learn, and not just "buttons to press" it has a larger variety of characters, and new moves in it. this is automatically a reason for people to like it, because it is new.

I don't know why you all are flaming me or saying that I am stating wrong stuff, I haven't said anything like Brawl is better than Melee or of that kind, I merely stated a few positive points about brawl.

really people, I never said Brawl > Melee, but it is objectively better at some points, no matter which way you look at it. offcourse the main point is gameplay, but I didn't discuss that, the only gameplay related reason I put down was "Balance" and I said it's debateable

I.T.P

Smash Ace
so you're admitting that you don't know wtf you're saying, right?
I'm admitting brawl isn't objectively better than Melee, it's subjectively preffered over melee by many, mostly due to being the new game.

I personally think it is good, though probably not as good as melee was

and I also admit that the posts I wrote only stated objective reasons for why people would like brawl, and coreygames responded with "your reasons fail cause I don't agree with these features being good" even though it was an objective list based on fact\logic(except for the balance part)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I haven't said anything like Brawl is better than Melee or of that kind
I never said you did.

really people, I never said Brawl > Melee,
I never said you did.

BTW: I won two tournaments with Samus. Mid-tier. Wobbles won quite a few in Texas with Ice Climbers. Mid-tier. Not all the high/top tier characters won. That is not a fact. It never was. You said upper tier consistantly won, because well, THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HIGH AND TOP TIERED!

What I said is not fact. What you said (in most instances) is not fact. Whether a lot of people agree on it or not, it is still an opinion. And that is a fact.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I never said you did.

I never said you did.

BTW: I won two tournaments with Samus. Mid-tier. Wobbles won quite a few in Texas with Ice Climbers. Mid-tier. Not all the high/top tier characters won. That is not a fact. It never was. You can say a MAJORITY was won by high or top tier characters, because well, THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HIGH AND TOP TIERED! What I said is not fact. What you said (in most instances) is not fact. Whether a lot of people agree on it or not, it is still an opinion. And that is a fact.
but it is fact that brawl has better stages than Melee(even if you narrow it down to the neutral and CP ones), you can look at that one :p

it is also a fact that it has more characters,new stuff, and online.

these are legit points for people to like brawl.

and that's all I basically wanted to say.

Coreygames: "If anything, I want someone to just tell me why Brawl is better without having some arbitrary ideology or idiotic reasoning into it."

I have no ideology behind that list, or idiotic reasoning, these are things anyone can agree with. and about the stages part - go to the stage discussion if you believ me,I'll make a list if you need one.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Anyone in here realize that whether someone likes it or not is their opinion? Just because you dont feel brawl is a better game than melee doesnt mean that you have to go around shoving it in peoples throats and acting like they do not have "legitimate reasons" to like brawl.

If they like the game, why argue with them? Why do we need a reason to like something?

Melee was more competitive than brawl, good for you, you figured it out! Im happy for you.

The problem is that more people are playing brawl then melee right now, and the competitive smashers, and semi-competitive smashers dont like that. Let people play the game they want to.

Coreygames, as much as I appreciate most of the posts you make on the forums, right now I feel that what you are trying to do with your posts is convince people to play melee instead of brawl, and I do not think that is the right approach to things.
If you want to play melee, then play melee, just let everyone else play brawl...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
but it is fact that brawl has better stages than Melee(even if you narrow it down to the neutral and CP ones), you can look at that one :p
No. I don't know what the random people who AREN'T hosting Brawl tournaments are saying, but... no. If you're talking about how Brawl has prettier-looking stages, I can agree with that. But better to play on? .... No.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Just admit it guys. You're ****ing confused at what you're looking at, since brawl is an improvement in many ways and yet detracts from the basic fight system. Its ****ing confusing. Tons more diversity and character balance, ****loads less speed and tricks, and its ****ing weird as you don't know if you're looking at an improved game or not.

Lets just deal with it, or take a shotgun to sakurai's. Lifes ****ing cruel when it comes to games.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I want to play Brawl. I'm going to be the Best in the world. No joke, I'm seriously striving for it. But I cannot deny my own feelings of dislike toward Brawl. Whn I see someone talking trash about melee, people who play melee, melee mechanics, or anything of that nature, it ticks me off a bit.

I said it before, I speak my mind. I'm not going to hold back or take other people's feelings into consideration. If there is something I have the slight want to say, it is probably already on the screen by the time my mind registers it is.

If they like the game, fine. If they don't fine. I just want more reason than "It's fun," which ITP has more than willingly brought forward and I thank him for it. I don't want to sway other people, that's not me. If you think I'm trying to convince you, I'm sorry that you're wrong. Try again.

If you have a problem with any of that, then don't read my posts. Otherwise, feel free to indulge in my posting habits.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'm pissed off because I want to like brawl but can't. I can't advocate a game that lies about the validity of its online mode, touting it as a flagship for wii's online, even; uses third party low blows, copy pasta trophies, eliminates the advanced techniques from its previous games, uses a half ***** stage builder to build hype, gets delayed a thousand times, advocates equility in a fighting game, copy pasta music, anti competetive focus, complicates **** so everyone is playing a different game from each other depending on their settings even, random tripping, kills hit stun, has the ****tiest single player ever which has caused it to be dual layer and thus load like ****...

Dude, did I miss any cheap shots? I'm a big fan of fighting games and would really love to love brawl. I want to play it. I'd strive for best in the world too. I'm not joking. I feel relative to the vibe coreygames gives off in his determination there.

But why should I? I can't play it without feeling its missing alot...

Not arguing against anyone. If anything I'm sad... I really wanna like it. Why didn't they copypasta something ok - melee's engine? Just give it the new rumble sensitivity and make it a bit more floaty in air, and maybe keep its airdodge mechanics from brawl how it is. But just make everything else Melee. Whats wrong with that?

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
but it is fact that brawl has better stages than Melee
saying something is "BETTER" is never a fact... stop saying things like that...
it is also a fact that it has more characters,new stuff, and online.
this one IS a fact... but that doesn't really prove anything...
all you had to say is, "more features" which is a given when a new addition to a big franchise is released...

just thought i would be annoying and dissect every one of your posts untill i can't find anything that doesn't make sense...
(ima d!ck... mybad)

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Coreygames, as much as I appreciate most of the posts you make on the forums, right now I feel that what you are trying to do with your posts is convince people to play melee instead of brawl, and I do not think that is the right approach to things.
Who cares if he convinces them to play Melee? If you don't care what game they play, it shouldn't matter.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
saying something is "BETTER" is never a fact... stop saying things like that...
Ok, let me rephrase that:

"According to the general consensus of the Competetive community known as SWF including it's stage discussion forum and Back Room(as far as I've understood from Mic_128's posts in the stage forum) Brawl has more competetively fit stages in both Neutral and CP categories, and they are also more varied than those of Melee in terms of design and features, making them better"

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok, let me rephrase that:

"According to the general consensus of the Competetive community known as SWF including it's stage discussion forum and Back Room(as far as I've understood from Mic_128's posts in the stage forum) Brawl has more competetively fit stages in both Neutral and CP categories, and they are also more varied than those of Melee in terms of design and features."
fixed and Perfect in my book.

Top Bottom