• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [SA] Adelaide/ South Australia Smash Community

Silfa

Smash Ace
I hate ZSS because Fox is stupid against her, and DK just doesn't seem to be able to hit her.

Anyways, tomorrow I'll probably play my Fox a lot more. And avoid Apollo. Also, I don't bring anything apart from my attractive self so I hope there's extra controllers and whatnot. :)
DK loves a cornered zss. Don't let her have space and stage control.

also, bair all day.

zApollo

Smash Ace
It was a good meet, and good to see a new face.

And Nova, dayum, I'll have to be really careful next time I'm up against you in a tourney.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I know Chris wasn't at RC Oldman, I played him at Thriller.
I should note though that pool matches I usually do well in but the when it comes to tourneys I play like a doof.

@ Apollo, Zelda's d-tilt + u-smash ftw. <3

Edit: & Ghost you're extremely good for a new comer.
You almost took matches off my Snake & Apollo's ZSS.
Stick around dude.

And I am now going to troll mason: Nana.

And everyone loves my tech chasing.
Eagle most.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Today was great :bee:
I really have to learn how to play your Ice Climbers Grim.....I suck against them lol.
I probably would've been closer to beating you guys if I didn't SD randomly all the time.....(especially that one where I fell through the smashville platform...)I'll have to work on that I guess.
So anyway I look forward to playing you guys at SG or maybe Valhalla if I go to that.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That looks really cool :). Brawl is really messing with my melee tech skill though.....I mean I was stuffing up wavedashes and everything :urg:
Yeah, Brawl does that.

I hate it, but I love it xD

Yeah, the series is basically going to be a guide to EVERYTHING about competitive Melee. So there will be videos explaining the stages, character match-ups, advanced techniques, mind-games, frame data, etc... All in one place and explained in-depth, professionally and simply :D

I've wanted to do this for a while.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I might pick up Squirtle for a bit, he was fun.

My Fox is getting better, but it's not what he used to be.

SethT

Smash Ace
Great meet Jamage, as always :3

Come to the next tourney Ghost, a welcome addition indeed :3

Grim's got my phone... Apollo, do you still have my brawl disc o-o;??
Unfortunately for me learning to play Diddy is hard when I leave all my stuff D;

Question to more Nova/Apollo, but how do you recommend I improve past my current "wall" so to speak ;o?

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Seth only time really does it & practice v people better than you.
For example I was beating Apollo for almost 12 months in tourney matches and now I can't win against him for what seems like a long time tourney wise.

The problem with maining MK/Snake in particular is that EVERYONE knows the match up really well which means you've gotta develop pretty original playstyles.
Which is what I do with Snake, some rely heavy on f-tilts and such but I just chuck explosives absoloutely (often hitting me as well but I'm Snake so idc) everywhere and have a nasty grab game.

So yer, time.
And Diddy is a hard character to use well.

SethT

Smash Ace
I know I'm not Apollo/Nova, but the way I got past my wall in Melee was being slaughtered by heaps of different players at Robocop.
For example I was beating Apollo for almost 12 months in tourney matches and now I can't win against him for what seems like a long time tourney wise.

The problem with maining MK/Snake in particular is that EVERYONE knows the match up really well which means you've gotta develop pretty original playstyles.
Which is what I do with Snake, some rely heavy on f-tilts and such but I just chuck explosives absoloutely (often hitting me as well but I'm Snake so idc) everywhere and have a nasty grab game.

So yer, time.
And Diddy is a hard character to use well.
I might start adjusting my play-style a bit more if thats the case. I just play... well... how MK's supposed to be played almost on default settings. I have some ideas though :3 probably implement them at the next tourney.

Depressingly the only time I get to play people who know what there at least doing is at meets and tournies.

Yeah, I was looking forward to spending the whole day with my brand new TV hooked into the Wii ready to load up some smash and practice AT's all day only to my demise realizing I'd left my game disc at Jamage's.

When I start bringing in the cash I'll start going interstate as I continue to say.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Exactly this. Get some good sessions with higher skilled players, and if possible save the replays and look over them at a different time to learn any more weaknesses. Correct spacing is the first skill you want to master with mk, then reading (opponent's habits, their DI and such) and stringing combos follow.

Also Aces_ your copy of the game was left in my wii, I took it out and gave it to Jamage to hold onto.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
Yeah I know Chris wasn't at RC Oldman, I played him at Thriller.
I should note though that pool matches I usually do well in but the when it comes to tourneys I play like a doof.
so you have beat chris? impressive snake.
I lost to a mk on the weekend.. kept spot dodging/running into tornado *facepalm*
I have the same problem with tournaments sigh

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Correct spacing is the first skill you want to master with MK
Just to elaborate on this (wall of text alert):
Most people generally have an idea that good spacing is hitting with the tip of moves. So if you are hitting with the tip of your moves, that's good spacing.
But that isn't always true, when people are moving around and not hitting each other, there are actually ranges that you don't see immediately, that you're actually weaving in and out of.

Like, in a MK vs. Sheik match-up, you'd think that Sheik would have more range. She has long legs, she has that dash attack, dacus, etc... But actually, in that match-up, MK has the most range. Because if he tornadoes and moves forward.

So, both characters are moving and stuff, imagine you are playing as the Sheik. What you need to imagine is that he is almost always nadoing. So, the space between you and your opponent should be nado range.

What you want to be doing is always staying at the exact tip of your opponent's range and moving in and out. A lot of the time, this will bait them to come closer, and a lot of people think sub-consciously that once they get closer, they have to commit to an attack. So whenever you see the opponent enter that area of space I was talking about above, you should do something like jump, shield, dsmash, etc... Instead of trying to predict when he is gonna nado, think of it like "In case he nados...". It's just the safest option.

Also remember that what he is doing, affects this range. Like, say a Snake was in shield, he can't just DACUS straight out of shield. Same as when, like, MK is at full-jump height or whatever. That means that if you see MK jump, or Snake shield, you KNOW it is safe to get closer. Cause the range they have has changed. That is what pressure is, you don't actually need to hit someone to pressure them. Just by approaching when they are in that position, you've pressured them by limiting their options and forcing them to do something.

MK's nado probably wasn't a good example now that I think about it cause it's slow. But the basic idea is to stay just out of the range of the longest ranged attack they can perform immediately. So, Snake's DACUS, Fox's SH nair, etc... If you are in this position, you are just as safe as if you were at opposite ends of the stage. That also means that you shouldn't do things in that range that you wouldn't do at full stage. So, you wouldn't shield from full-stage away cause they can't hit you from that far out, so... Why should you shield when you are out of range of their farthest reaching attack?

And that is what real spacing really is, it's just staying out of the ranges (remember, different ranges for different situations) and seeing if they do something which lets you pressure them.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe. When is it again? I think it's early November? In which case it's smack dab in the middle of my exams so probably not.

SethT

Smash Ace
Yeah, November 6th. Reason why I was wondering, one of my mates DoMo (played in the last SG tourney) is currently playing fox and I was wondering if you could teach him some tricks.

That and if you wanted to 2v2 :3

Eagle

Smash Lord
Ooh, I dunno.. what if I train him.. and he surpasses my Fox? Hehe.

Well, I've checked my exam timetable and after the 4th I don't have another exam until the 12th, so I think I might be able to come.

And yeah, I'll join you for doubles. :) Just don't be like Grim when it comes to stocks. ;)

SethT

Smash Ace
then you have your DK B-Air to tear him up with ;3

Sounds good!
Nah don't worry, I ask first :3 I remember this one valhalla, Grim stole his partners stock, then team killed him... only for the opponent Kirby to suck Grim in and spit him into a claptrap on jungle japes.

Instant karma for you right there.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just don't be like Grim when it comes to stocks. ;)
Quiet, you.

Sounds good!
Nah don't worry, I ask first :3 I remember this one valhalla, Grim stole his partners stock, then team killed him... only for the opponent Kirby to suck Grim in and spit him into a claptrap on jungle japes.

Instant karma for you right there.
I don't like doubles, alright? >.>

Eagle

Smash Lord
Am I able to get a Fox picture on the PR list? If possible, and before the DK picture?

Or am I not able to because last mini tourney I only used DK?

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I WAS going to go to a Melbourne tourney.
But my mother is being a complete bìtch since we had a fight and I'm thus short on money and cbf with OoS tournements anymore.

God my mother is stupid.
She calls me a sociopath and claims to be scared of me because I said I'd kill someone if they hurt my dog, who is like, the only thing I care about anymore.
SHE THEN claims she wants a lock on her door due to me apparently punching one of my drunk brothers mates because he said some shìt about my sister (who isn't related to her).
So we had a huge fight and she gets up and does the whole "you're such a lazy bàstard rah rah why don't you move out".
So I say I will....AND SHE GETS EVEN ANGRIER???
"You never care care about me blah rah boo hoo *Storms off & slams door like a 5yo".
I then attempt a few hours later that I can't live with her and she claims I'm using emotional blackmail on her.

I swear to god I hope a random brick falls out the sky and knocks her brain out her *** or wherever it is.

tl;dr: I need money for a place to live to get away from my obsessive queen vulture of a mother.

.....I have no idea why I posted this here.
I needed to rant.
*Turns into Zelda & U-smashers everyone*

SethT

Smash Ace
Everyone needs a rant once in a while. Tis the natural course of things.
You'll understand when you get a bit older Grim... (fully srs as well, you'd be surprised how much **** changes in a year or so.)

Hell, I applaud you on your decision to move out, when someone gives me a ****ing job then i'm right behind you.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Eh, maybe I'll understand one day.

Chris, if I get on the PR with my Meta Knight, could you use this picture?
Sure Grim, just remind me next time we revise the list.

And Nova, sorry but I will not be attending Valhalla. If the next SG is after November 18th then I'll definitely come to that. I hope your family troubles blow over smoothly.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I care for the Children.
Anyway I've spoken to Wookie and his topic is going to be deleted and replaced by one created by me with much more Smash info 'n' stuff.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Centralising SA smash is always a good idea, this thread already has a fair amount of information so why not just fix up the OP of this one?

Top Bottom