• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumble in the Jungle - DK Sparring Grounds

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
I'll just switch around between my characters. If you want DK dittos just tell me.

I'll add you now.
Okay! I'll stick to DK the majority of the time then, but may do a couple others here and there. You can use DK or not to your leisure.

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
Great! More the merrier - I've added you as well, itsaxelol.

One question does come to mind - how does one accomplish a 3-way rotation? It means that all three of us go into the match but one immediately suicides, right? I just realized that I'm not certain if that's what you meant, haha

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Let me know if it's too laggy guys. I could leave so you guys can play 1v1 if it's too laggy.

Also let me know if 3 stocks is okay with you guys

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Doing some catching up on homework, it was a busy week. I hope to be on later tonight.

Guys don't forget to test customs out :p

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
Wow, /nice/!

Yigads, you guys are /good/! This is /much/ more challenging than random for glory matches /already/, haha. The clashes when multiple people go for up-As are entertaining as well.

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
Okay - hey Metalbro, can I battle itsaxelol then?

Just so we had at least one match before we leave, haha.

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
~You cannot save any more replays~

*Punches someone*

That was fun, itsaxelol - Great matches to watch! And good lord - I didn't /think/ I was very predictable, but Metalbro is reading me like a book. Every single error, no matter how minor, is getting very savagely punished.

It's a little nice to know that I've got most of the basic fundamentals, though - it's not that I'm just putzing around uselessly, you're simply /better/ than me. :p This is great.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
This will be my last one Kantolin. I have family over.

GGs bro. Nice DK. You definitely got the fundamentals down with DK. You caught me off gaurd a lot and made approaching you quite difficult. It was great experience. Hope to play you guys again soon.

Last edited:

Kantolin

Smash Rookie
Yigads!

Okay, so hrm. I have learned that I rely on DK's 'tricks' more than I thought I did - against someone who knows how good DK is at shield breaking, where his nasty hitboxes are (primarily on his up tilt), what to do and what not to do in relation to his down-b and up-b... a lot of my functionality flies out a window.

Also, this is the first time I've /ever/ been on the receiving end of 'block too long against a DK's down-b and you lose a stock', haha. I realized 'Wait I'm gonna - ' juuust too late to actually do anything about it.

I was more than a little surprised when, against your Captain Falcon, you were neutral A-ing me when your back was to me. This happened so often it can't be a coincidence, and I've never seen anyone do that before - it's /fascinating/, haha. I knew DK was big, but I didn't realize his hitbox could be targeted in that way. You also in general play a very different Captain Falcon than anyone else I've seen - I really should've relied on DK's back-air or a dashing up smash more.

My performance against your Link embarrassed me - DK can back-air away an arrow charging link, but apparently my timing was shot as I kept landing in front of Link and getting shot. And feeling very stupid, hee.

Your DK is a /nightmare/ to fight, haha. I do use his up-air when edge guarding, but you have that down to a science - I never thought of going anywhere near that intensity of utilizing it to the point where it seems up-air is your primary option offstage (Compared to mine being back-air). I think I'm gonna go through a few matches where I only ever up-air to train myself to use it more. Either way, between that and your skill at predicting I got far too afraid to chase you off the edge - a feature I try hard to do to other people, so this is again the first time I've been on the receiving end of it from a DK, hee.

That rocked. Hopefully it was fun for you as well, despite how thoroughly you outclassed me ^_^

Edit: I am extremely mad that I ran out of available replays. Almost all of those matches were ones I really want to have saved and reviewed, but the only one I actually recalled to save was the one against itsaxelol - in which /he/ is playing marvelously, but I moronically suicided /twice/, cutting the match short, haha. Oh well...

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
It was most definitely fun dude. Don't worry, you'll adapt quickly and get a lot better the more you play. Also there was some noticeable lag and I felt that it affected both of us. We'd play much better if it was just a bit more smooth. Despite that, your DK is top notch either way.

Edit: You can always record or your old replays and store them in a PC and then delete them for more replay space.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Metalbro, let me know if you can play today.

anytime, just let me know :)

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I'm free right now!

Actually, let me know if you will be free in about an hour or so.
Great games, I really liked your down-b to bait me jumping OoS then punishing with back air, your dk is really good!
Also you really need to watch out for trumps as well as try to incorporate it into your dk game as well. dk has an insane trump game.
Any tips on the falcon dk match up? I have a hard time beating your falcons grab game since spot dodge and roll are so awkward for me. I rely a lot on shield and I can tell that is a bad thing. Also I could tell you were used to double jumping and doing up air when I was pressuring you offstage, be aware that dk's up air isn't as good so if you are going for this against characters with large hit boxes you run a big risk of a trade that isn't in your favor.

Good games, your execution is top notch for being on the 3ds. I still often fail Rar back air and do sh fair >.>

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Great games, I really liked your down-b to bait me jumping OoS then punishing with back air, your dk is really good!
Also you really need to watch out for trumps as well as try to incorporate it into your dk game as well. dk has an insane trump game.
Any tips on the falcon dk match up? I have a hard time beating your falcons grab game since spot dodge and roll are so awkward for me. I rely a lot on shield and I can tell that is a bad thing. Also I could tell you were used to double jumping and doing up air when I was pressuring you offstage, be aware that dk's up air isn't as good so if you are going for this against characters with large hit boxes you run a big risk of a trade that isn't in your favor.

Good games, your execution is top notch for being on the 3ds. I still often fail Rar back air and do sh fair >.>
Likewise friend, those were indeed great games. I'll definitely be on the lookout for those ledgetrump Bairs. I try to do them but I guess I haven't practiced them enough. I get really nervous when I was offstage even if I'm the one edge guarding. Nonetheless I'll get that down in due time. And I'll take note of of the up airs. It's just a bad habit I have.

As for Falcon tips, I guess you just have to be very very patient. DK can do nasty things to him if he misses an attempt to approach. Like I noticed I caught you with yolo dash attacks more often than I should have. I think against rush in characters like Falcon, DK has to play a lot more defensively. Falcons Jab will absolutely wreck DK so if I'm close up to you, don't be afraid to shield it. About avoiding Falcons grab game, well I have no idea how to get away from that myself. I think just moving around more will make it harder for him to land them and maybe you can even throw out some handslaps to catch him off guard. I feel like as soon as you get Falcon off stage, it should be easy sailing from there. Be patient and punish him whenever he's in a bad situation. Also when DK is on stage waiting for a Falcon to land, you should always try to be in front of him since he doesn't have much moves to land safely from that side.

I hope that was useful, I'm not good at giving advice. Anyways good games once more. Hope to play you again sometime

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Hey I'm trying to work DK into my rotation, anyone willing to smash my face in a bunch as DK til I see what good things he does? Can go DK dittoos or GameWatch

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Big o you play a very impressive defensive game. Of all people I've played I do the worse against you because my game is predicated on grabbing a lot and throwing in addition to the leg kicks, and in Dk dittos, the very first of which I did here against you and Shawn, I hesitate to grab. I'm definitely thrown off my game and I need to just adjust, though the lag really ****ed with my moves and shield timing this last time, I don't know how many times I did the giant punch for no reason at all. I noticed since the first time we fought (where I really played badly), you have started to do kicks more often. You definitely got better. Next time I'll hope to give you some better games.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Big o you play a very impressive defensive game. Of all people I've played I do the worse against you because my game is predicated on grabbing a lot and throwing in addition to the leg kicks, and in Dk dittos, the very first of which I did here against you and Shawn, I hesitate to grab. I'm definitely thrown off my game and I need to just adjust, though the lag really ****ed with my moves and shield timing this last time, I don't know how many times I did the giant punch for no reason at all. I noticed since the first time we fought (where I really played badly), you have started to do kicks more often. You definitely got better. Next time I'll hope to give you some better games.
Thanks for the praise and GG's. I feel like you are really good at counter edge guarding (basically turning the tables and killing instead). Probably like a third of my deaths were to random crap offstage that ended up gimping me while I tried to edge guard you. I've been working on my air game and grab game, so I'm glad you noticed an improvement. I'm gonna try to incorporate some jab resets on missed techs next.

@ itsaxelol itsaxelol GG's the other day as well. I feel like we were more even this time than last. With customs on though I feel I had the upper hand, probably because I picked better customs for the MU. I don't think Storm Punch is very useful in DK dittos. Lightning punch was decent. Focused Slap was bleh. Once you started playing safe it became unusable. Hot Slap and Hand Slap are both useful and viable moves though. What was your opinion on the Side B's? I didn't really throw out too many and mostly stuck with Jumping Headbutt. I think default the Headbutt and Jumping Headbutt are equally useful. Stubborn Headbutt I think is just too slow.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Thanks for the praise and GG's. I feel like you are really good at counter edge guarding (basically turning the tables and killing instead). Probably like a third of my deaths were to random crap offstage that ended up gimping me while I tried to edge guard you. I've been working on my air game and grab game, so I'm glad you noticed an improvement. I'm gonna try to incorporate some jab resets on missed techs next.
Well its still a work in progress, I still do it a little too often when I'm closer to the stage where someone can just wait and punish me with a forward smash...but Most players find out that unless I'm in a bad spot off the ledge, that they will get gimped if they come after me, I faced one of the top players in canada, blacktwins, online and we fought for over 2 hours or so, I got the better of him off the ledge as well. I also preferred facing him because I suck at dk dittos lol. I think sean also doesn't come after me anymore unless he is above me.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
GG's to @ RiotLettuce RiotLettuce and @ DaRkJaWs DaRkJaWs from today. Haven't played a good Olimar in a long time. Makes me remember how much I hate him lol. I'll have to get in some more practice against him in particular. His size and camp factor just makes it a chore to approach him. Patient Luigi's are also very annoying to deal with. Hopefully we'll get to have more than 1 game per MU next time.

I think I've gotten a lot better offstage in general. I'm also really glad we found a use for Cargo Dtoss. Those stage spikes really make his grabs feel threatening.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Gg big_o. That was my first time using those customs with ganondorf, in fact I hadn't even used that forward+b even vs bots so you were a good test subject for it. And I must admit I liked it. I think Ganon gives up too much power by ridding of his main down+b for the one that has better horizontal recovery. I'm of the opinion that if I can't make it back with that forward b or my special up b that has longer distance, then I have no business coming back anyway. Ganondorf has to kill, and it was interesting to see how he faced custom Dk. Obviously I was going to make further adjustments but you left, didn't even get to have my Dk face you. Btw that was a great change you made from lightning punch to wind punch, works wonders on ganondorf. Was also interesting to see how some of dorfs moves went right through fire slap if I hit at the right time.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Add me to the Wii U rotation.
NNID: ManLiGi

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
@ Big O Big O i remember those. i didnt even have a lightning punch custom made at that time! i hadnt messed with customs at that point and i had no idea. i love that move now lol

lets play again soon, its been like a month

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
I'm a lucario main and DK is my secondary, I'm looking to get better and learn from other DKs but I mostly want to play you all because DK dittos are so damn fun. Expect some challenges haha

NNID: DomBadZZZ

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
GG's @ itsaxelol itsaxelol . The last 2 times we've played have been laggier than usual for w/e reason. Hopefully next time our games won't have so many weird SD's.

I feel like I need to practice using Kong Cyclone more. I haven't been using customs at all for like a month and it probably showed. I kept trying to use grounded Kong Cyclone like his default Up B lol.

Your Mewtwo was pretty good. First one I've lost to so far. If you feel like vsing my secondaries next time instead of my DK, let me know. The only one I've really put time into is Ganon, but I can probably play Charizard/Mii Gunner/Swordfighter well enough.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Only if you want to use them. I don't care. I like using my other guys now and then though. Zard bowser mega man falcon diddy falco and mewtwo of course

I felt like you felt bad mewtwo didn't have customs lol you def need to abuse king cyclone more. But yea I rarely use em too. None of my online nor real friends like customs so I'm out of luck

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I still haven't played my Ganon vs your Dk bonzo. And I'd like to face your Ganon with mine big o...I'll also show you the Dk tech you won't see anywhere else.

Top Bottom