• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumble Falls

cHp

Smash Apprentice
Rumble Falls

So I was looking through the Stage Discussion thread and found this:
IMO we should start making a video series about banned stages/commonly banned stages/borderline stages.
Feels good ^^

That'd be a fun project, BPC. I know a lot of random **** about the dumbest stages lol... and I think it's a worthwhile effort to compile our knowledge even on stages like 75m.
I thought this seemed like a good thing to waste 2 hours on. So I went ahead and made a thread (videos don't really seem necessary...). Anyway enough about me.

Rumble falls is a stage infamous for its scrolling, gay hazards, circle camping, and ******** advantage to aerial characters, this thread will investigate the hazards and show data that will either confirm or disprove their gayness. This thread will also investigate whether or not these factors are enough to deter/prevent/end camping. Beware of huge wall of text. CTRL + F is your friend if you don't want to read long ****. Or just look at the big words. I understand that I ramble quite a bit since I mostly jot down my mental thoughts while looking into this stage. First, the basics. Here's a full picture of the stage:

Breakable areas are the 4 blocks on the bottom right hand side of the first spike. The boxes on the plane are also breakable. Approximately 1/15 (I think) of the map is visible at a time. The scrolling camera will continuously climb up the map, with some "speed ups" along the way. At the top, the background will turn into a waterfall and the stage will slow down for approximately 10 seconds before restarting at the "bottom" of the map. This slow down also occurs at the part of the stage where the airplane with boxes flies in, the area right before the first spike, and the area where the second set of spikes becomes visible, but only for about 5 seconds. They don't happen too often and aren't consistent as the previous two instances that were mentioned. Now I'll go into more detail about scrolling.

Scrolling Cycles
The "Speed Up" can occur at any part of the map. In addition, if the stage reaches any of the slowdown areas, it will ignore the speed up and slow down. Surprisingly, it slows down to the same speed as if no speed up were occurring, so that is one consistency present in this stage. The areas of the slowdowns remain consistent. Here are some data tables that I did. These were all done with an 8 minute timer. I did 4 different matches to see if I could find some consistency. These are all approximates.
start - 6:15 left
end - 5:50 left
25 seconds long
start - 5:15 left
end - 4:48 left
27 seconds long
start - 3:31 left
end - 3:08 left
23 seconds long
start - 2:30 left
end - 2:08 left
22 seconds long
start - 0:57 left
end - 0:36 left
21 seconds long
start - 0:05 left
end - N/A
5 seconds long :troll:

start - 7:29 left
end - 7:01 left
28 seconds long
start - 6:32 left
end - 6:11 left
21 seconds long
start - 4:59 left
end - 4:38 left
21 seconds long
start - 3:59 left
end - 3:39 left
20 seconds long
start - 3:02 left
end - 2:40 left
22 seconds long
start - 1:19 left
end - 0:55 left
24 seconds long
start - 0:12 left
end - N/A
12 seconds long :troll:

start - 6:58 left
end - 6:35 left
23 seconds long
start - 5:25 left
end - 5:04 left
21 seconds long
start - 4:22 left
end - 3:56 left
26 seconds long
start - 2:39 left
end - 2:15 left
24 seconds long
start - 1:35 left
end - 1:10 left
25 seconds long
start - 0:29 left
end - 0:02 left
27 seconds long

start - 6:46 left
end - 6:21 left
25 seconds long
start - 3:11 left
end - 2:48 left
23 seconds long
start - 2:07 left
end - 1:40 left
27 seconds long
start - 1:09 left
end - 0:41 left
28 seconds long

So from this data I can gather this:

Consistencies
- Speed ups last from 20-30 seconds
- Length of speed ups are affected by the slowdown areas

Pretty inconsistent as you can tell. The fourth match in particular destroyed a lot of the consistency that seemed to be present. Despite the randomness of the occurrence of the speed ups, keeping up with them wasn't too difficult with the many slow down areas providing some breathing room for less mobile characters. However, you should still stay from characters like Donkey Kong or King Dedede A.K.A. guys that get gimped easily.

Spikes
- All spikes can KO you (though 3rd spike will only kill you if you DI left/right)
- All spikes can be air-dodged
- First spike can OHKO you but KO can be avoided with good DI and floor techs
- Second set of spikes only has vertical knockback and low KO potential
- Third spike won't KO you unless you DI left/right instead of letting yourself get spiked. Even then, it has low KO potential. The only time this will get you killed from this is the scrolling or your opponent

Other interesting info here about MK/Kirby's Up throw and boundaries

Conclusion
In one hand, the large size of the stage seems to make circle camping very strong. On the other hand, the hazards slightly remedy this problem. However, the spikes are easy to avoid while the scrolling emphasizes superior aerial mobility to avoid early deaths. Meta Knight is also, to be blunt, a scary mother****er here. So this stage's position as a banned/borderline stage is probably where it will stay. The lack of rules in place to deal with the many problems that this stage presents makes sure that this awesome, but broken, stage will likely never see the light of competitive battling. However, not all hope is lost: this stage could be more viable in lower tier tourneys where gay characters aren't present. Doubles seem to be the best fit for a stage like this. For now though, this stage will remain one of the most bizarre and perhaps one of the most controversial stages in the history of smash.

**** YOU SAKURAI ARRRGGGGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff cHp. ^^
I fooled around with this stage a while ago, and I found that you can easily survive the first spike basically 100% of the time without any DI or tech timing.
When you hit the spike, you almost always bounce off the tilted platform, and slide directly onto the platform above the breakable rock. From here, you can shield and either roll or spotdodge to cancel your momentum, so you stop usually around after the little pond. I'll see if I can get a video up of it.

I also remember seeing a picture of all of Rumble Falls in the old stage legality discussion. I'll try and find it for you.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
IDK if It's ok in LTs. Jiggs/Yoshi (who shouldn't be LT but w/e) move so much faster in the air that they probably can circle camp to death here.

In doubles though, I could possibly see it

Ghostbone

Smash Master
IDK if It's ok in LTs. Jiggs/Yoshi (who shouldn't be LT but w/e) move so much faster in the air that they probably can circle camp to death here.

In doubles though, I could possibly see it
They should both be low tier :p
Along with Ness and Pokemon Trainer.
So allowing it in low tiers is a bad idea imo.

Doubles on this stage would be interesting though, possible legit.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
ROFL, I can't see Yoshi being a legit low tier, he wins more money than any of them by a massive margin. I didn't mean to say Jiggs shouldn't be low, she totally should.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yoshi's not low-tier for much longer. And he's still got plenty of potential left.

I could see him rising as high as the top of C tier, maybe even breaking into B. Yoshi mains are really stepping it up.

Also, when I host a tourney, I'll try this legal in doubles.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Yoshi's not low-tier for much longer. And he's still got plenty of potential left.

I could see him rising as high as the top of C tier, maybe even breaking into B. Yoshi mains are really stepping it up.
His shield is a massive weakness and will probably prevent him from ever rising further than bottom of mid tier.

Unless Yoshi mains start using DR to its full potential >.>

/off-topic

Tesh

Smash Hero
this stage is pretty horrible. its like rainbow cruise except much much worse, while not even having a period of stability like cruise does on the ship.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Actually, I think RF is a great stage, but the Speedups breaks it pretty badly (poor bad recovery chars...).

T-block

B2B TST
Good stuff cHp. ^^
I fooled around with this stage a while ago, and I found that you can easily survive the first spike basically 100% of the time without any DI or tech timing.
When you hit the spike, you almost always bounce off the tilted platform, and slide directly onto the platform above the breakable rock. From here, you can shield and either roll or spotdodge to cancel your momentum, so you stop usually around after the little pond. I'll see if I can get a video up of it.

I also remember seeing a picture of all of Rumble Falls in the old stage legality discussion. I'll try and find it for you.
Adding on to what Tokaio said, if you DI DOWN you need to tech. If you use no DI or DI up, you will end up sliding in neutral standing position along the right ledge. You can shield at this point and still slide. You will die at any percent if you do not do anything, but spotdodging or rolling will stop all your sliding momentum. You have a HUGE window to do one of these things.

So yeah, you should never be killed by this spike ever.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just saying, I made a thread about Mario Bros' mechanics a while ago and the hipster inside me is saying: "Hey man, that guy is doing the in-depth mechanics of a universally banned stage as well!"

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Except Mario Bros. is never going to be legal, and we just might have an argument for this as doubles only.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, Rumble Falls doesn't devolve into what most people consider "not Smash Bros.".

It's basically a Rainbow Cruise that requires a bit more stage knowledge and goes faster sometimes. Tests a player's skill at fighting a match out mostly vertically, rather than horizontally. A change to the dynamic of the match seems fine for a CP. Case in point: Pictochat. Pictochat changes the dynamic of the match such that "watch out random stuff is going to appear out of nowhere and screw you over". Compared to Pictochat, RF is practically akin to Halberd or Frigate Orpheon.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
For singles? No. I wouldn't want this in singles.

But in doubles? Very much so.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff is Ganon tier.

Just because she has a few match-ups that aren't dreadfully bad, (Diddy, Falco), doesn't make her a good character.

I mean Ganon does well against Wario lol.
No, Ganon doesn't even stand a single chance of hope against Wario sorry.

And this shouldn't even be legal for doubles, it will still eventually lead into 1v1 or similar situation. That's why we don't have a separate list for doubles.

This stage is hardly comparable to Rainbow Cruise.
There are hazards, several walls and walkoffs everywhere and very very limited ways of following the stage. Also the speedups can really ruin it as they are random and many chars can't keep up with the stage at all when the opponent tries to stop them.
And it's so big that circle camping becomes an issues, there are at least soft circles almost all the time here.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
No, Ganon doesn't even stand a single chance of hope against Wario sorry.
He actually does....

according to the BBR match-up chart he has a -2 against Wario.

Which is as good as Jigglypuff against Diddy...

lol, I still believe Jigglypuff is Ganon tier, not as bad as Ganon but still 2nd worst character in the game >.>

/off-topic

I'm on the fence about stages in doubles

I think it's a double standard to include a few stages but then not include stages such as temple, and this is an example of that...

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
LOL
BBR MU chart for Wario vs Ganon is way off. It's 60:40 at absolute worst for us. I mean, Grab Release -> Footstool -> Tipman Jablock -> repeat is a 0-death, not particularly hard to pull off. If we get the big Tire, we have a forced rising out of Gerudo, meaning a guaranteed FSmash and thus kill at 85%. And Jiggs is much better than Ganon, especially since she has exactly the tools needed to pick us apart, specifically BAir. But w/e, wrong thread.

Also, Temple has a very heavy circle. Even in doubles it can degenerate.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ganon has worse grab and dash than IC. There is no way that you get grabbed. And Warios attributes **** him in every hole he has.
Offtopic sry, keep going.

:phone:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
It's pretty hard to circle camp when there's two player trying to attack you lol.

I don't see it happening really....

Edit: Ganondorf has a good keep-away game against wario
And I'm pretty sure pivot-grab is viable to get a grab against him.......

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Its not sorry. Otherwise Ic would destroy wario.
And 2v2 eventually leads into 1v1. Its been mentioned a million times.

:phone:

Top Bottom