• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rules Favor Veterans?

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
I did a search and I don't think this topic has come up. Probably the wrong audience to pose this question to as well, but as gamers, I want to see what people think.

I've thrown a few Smash tournaments in the past few months and it seem like the best way to get serious smashers to come is to set the tournament rules in a certain way. Apparently to avoid the randomness of items, free-for alls, quirky stages, and what not. For a while, it was great. I got to see Melee played at a level that I didn't get to see all that often.

Recently though, I've begun to question the standard tournament rules. Essentially, don't they just tailor the game to a certain play style? A play style that tournament players are used to, which basically gives them the advantage of the "others?"

Here's the question: if someone is truly dominant in the game, shouldn't he or she be able to play well regardless of the rules? Are we afraid to play "noobs" on their terms rather than ours?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1) items on versus items off has always been an argument among people. In Melee, items off won the debate and after 2004 you stopped seeing items-on tournaments. The debate isn't as fierce this time around (items-off so far appears to be mostly standard) but there are people who have brought the argument to a forefront again and they raise some solid points.

2)They do win, regardless of the rules. KoreanDJ won the FFA/Items tournament that Nintendo sponsored for Brawls launch ($4,000 crystal wii). He also placed second at the MLG finals in 2006 and won $5,000 under normal standards (certain stages, items off). Most of the people who won round 1 tournaments at gamestop were Smashboards players, same goes for round 2 and 3.

The rules are structured so that the person who wins is always the person who wins and not the person who gets a lucky item spawn on their last stock. Skill is always the most important factor, it doesn't matter what rules are used, no novice is going to beat Azen. However, when Azen plays ChuDat, they are close in skill, and a slight amount of random chance can be enough to skew the results.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
first of all, FFAs shouldnt be discussed

second, the better player will win but random elements give the other person more of a chance than they would have normally

third, ALL competative games have a ruleset/restrictions.

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
Hm, AlphaZealot, I see what you mean about the more skilled player being the one who always wins as being a good basis for designing a rules set, and I am certain, as you have pointed out, that there are those who would win regardless of the rules. Wouldn't you say that these two points contradict somewhat? If there are those who would win regardless of rule set, then why is it necessary to tailor rules to make sure that the most skilled player wins?

I agree, trademark0013, that most competitive games have restricitions. For example, basketball rims can be made at a variety of heights, but for regulation play, that height is fixed. I think this makes sense since it makes the game more difficult for those playing at a higher level. Smash tournament rules, however, seem to make the game easier for the "pros" and harder for the other guys.

Is the original design of Smash Bros so poorly balanced that there are no counters for luck? Are there "press A to win" flaws in the game?

Take for example, the Ice Climbers stage (Melee). Doesn't it also take skill to win on that stage? Sure, the skills may be entirely different and nothing like the skills we've developed for flat "balanced" stage. Is that reason enough to ban it?

I guess my question is, essentially, is it bad that the rules favor better players, like you said, shadydentist. Why make rules that help the people who need less help, because they are already skilled? Is there a problem with giving the less skilled a chance too?

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
Yeah theres a huge problem with giving the less skilled a chance. The point of a tournament is proving who the best player is. So when you introduce elements of luck which make it possible for someone to win against a better player (even though still unlikely, it would become possible) you're completely undermining the concept of a competitive tournament.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
i dont see how a rule structure can ever be wrong if the better player is supposed to win.

items are off to prevent a player from getting purely lucky.

if someone loses, it should be because either the other player was better, or they made mistakes that cost them the match.

smashballs are going to be banned too if they arent already because of "pitty smashes"-where a player gets their final smash for no reason after respawning. in some cases-this is an insta-kill.

even something as 'standard' as a poke'ball can win a match based on luck

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Hm, AlphaZealot, I see what you mean about the more skilled player being the one who always wins as being a good basis for designing a rules set, and I am certain, as you have pointed out, that there are those who would win regardless of the rules. Wouldn't you say that these two points contradict somewhat? If there are those who would win regardless of rule set, then why is it necessary to tailor rules to make sure that the most skilled player wins?
I actually have something to say about this, Trioptical. If I'm correct, you're asking why the rules seem to favor the most skilled player(s). Let me try to answer your question (the one I underlined) with another one: Isn't the point of tournaments to see who is the most skilled player?
The rules in place make the game fair. Items and crazier stages are just more variables in 'The World of Unpredictability in Smash.' Playing without items, on the more normal stages, and with a certain amount of time and lives makes it as balanced as possible in this insanely unbalanced game.

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
There's elements of luck in every game though. Say we could get rid of the wind factor in golf. Would we want to, or is knowing how to play under the conditions of wind and some factors of luck part of the skill of golf?
I agree that the point is to find out who's the better player, but "better" can be placed into many different contexts.

A person who's good at the game with default rules vs. a person who's good at the game with standard tourney rules; who's the better player? Tourney player? Why is that?

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
There's elements of luck in every game though. Say we could get rid of the wind factor in golf. Would we want to, or is knowing how to play under the conditions of wind and some factors of luck part of the skill of golf?
I agree that the point is to find out who's the better player, but "better" can be placed into many different contexts.

A person who's good at the game with default rules vs. a person who's good at the game with standard tourney rules; who's the better player? Tourney player? Why is that?
You have to remember though, this isn't an outside sport. Though, certain similar conditions are going to apply to Melee. A stage such as Jungle Japes is aloud in tournament play, and it has it's "weather conditions". It's not a very popular stage due to it's "randomness", but it is still aloud in competitive play.
Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pbdeSaiNdc
It's of an MLG Final. As you can see, there's still that element of luck with the current rule set. I personally like tournament rules because they give the best definition of the top players.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your last post. I still hope this explains it a little more.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
KoreanDJ would win any tournament with randomscrubs 1-1,000,000. This isn't the problem. The problem is when you have random distribution (items), in a single match, between relatively equally skill opponents. In this situation a small amount of random, say an item favoring PC Chris 5 times versus KDJ only 3 times (some items are won by luck, some by skill through stage control, in this case, 8 items spawned, lets pretend only 1 was "luckily" won), could be the difference maker in a match.

In Melee it was the tournament player because item tournaments stopped existing after TG6 in 2004 and the best non-items players were also the best items players because their skills transferred over (and there was no one devoting themselves solely to items play, the only players the best non-items players would have to worry about in an items tournament were other really good non-items players). For tournaments there is a progression, and one line of progression (items) died relatively early while the other (no items) has 3+ more years of developed metagame. Keep this in mind, because even in items play there is a significant portion of time spent without items. As for non-tournament players, they are essentially a non-factor, not only can we not judge them because they don't go to tournaments, but in every instance they do attend tournaments they get trampled by veterans regardless of the ruleset, the Nintendo tournament is but one instance of this.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Well, if you think it's a probelm that people try to take out variable in smash, lemme ask you this

Why does it conviently happen in EVERY OTHER COMPETITIVE GAME TO EVER EXIST.

The only reason why this question comes up about brawl melee smash, is because smash is the only game ever played in tournaments where, when you pull the game out of the box, it's not in it's tourney setting.

Every other single solitary game ever played competitively was basically ready for tourney out the box (Except for WoW, but lets be real here.)

Smash is the acception, which is why this arguement is constantly brought up.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
If I can ask a question out of curiousity, AlphaZealot... I believe the question posed was 'A person who's good at the game with default rules vs. a person who's good at the game with standard tourney rules; who's the better player?' with your answer being the tournament-style player because of the nonexistence (after a certain point) of item tournaments. Does that mean that you would have answered that question differently had item tournaments been the more prevalent format of play?

I ask because it seems as though a lot of people would have answered the way you did earlier regardless of which format was prevalent, and (like I said), I'm curious.

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why this is even a discussion obviously the rules favor veterans, they are used to playing by them longer than say the noobs complaining the veterans have an advantage.

I mean its just simple logic, time with any set up yields experience with that setup, giving advantages over those unaccustomed to said setup. and thats the way it should be, with all things.

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
IRT Jack Kieser if I could just add my ten cents in AZ's corner, the contention is that the competitive smasher would and/ or does still dominate with default rules, I know for one that I couldn't beat any of the top probably 50 hell its probably allot more than that but regardless, as a matter of fact I'm so confident in their abilities that if you guaranteed that all my poke balls would be entei, I still probably wouldn't beat the likes of PC chris, ken or M2k, among others...

srry for double post, I saw your post after I made my first one, and I didn't want this response to get lost in the jumble.

Trioptical

Smash Cadet
Okay, so the general agreement, I think, is that the rules do favor veterans, but it's only because the rules were designed to make an otherwise unbalanced game tournament worthy, and because the veterans have, by definition, more experience playing under these rules.

I'm fine with that. Just wondering why things are the way they are.

Moving on to a related topic; what makes Smash unbalanced? I've heard about the fact that speedy characters on large levels have definite advantages, but are there really no counters at all?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If I can ask a question out of curiousity, AlphaZealot... I believe the question posed was 'A person who's good at the game with default rules vs. a person who's good at the game with standard tourney rules; who's the better player?' with your answer being the tournament-style player because of the nonexistence (after a certain point) of item tournaments. Does that mean that you would have answered that question differently had item tournaments been the more prevalent format of play?
I view Smash similar to tennis for this example. The best tennis players on clay are still among the best on hard court and vise versa. However, if items play had continued, there would certainly be intricacies that exist unknown to an unexperienced non-items player. Would these intricacies exist to the top non-items players? I can't say for sure, I feel its mostly unlikely because items play, discounting any random occurrences, isn't so deep that it would escape the grasp and understanding of top non-items players, espcially when you consider the similarities between items play and some of the projectile characters in non-items play (Diddy, Peach, D3).

This said, the reality is that non-items play is much more prevalent than items play, with less people playing with items, there exists less competition and a slower development of the meta-game. Considering this is the reality, the best items players will undoubtedly have to also play item less tournaments in order to keep up with "regular" fighting, IE what occurs when no items are spawned.

So: Yes, it could very well be that, had items play developed equally along side non-items play, that the best items players would be different from the best non-items players (and these players would still be near the top in each others arena). The reality though, for Melee, was that items play stopped developing and so far for Brawl items play is developing much slower than non-items play. The result of this is simply that the best non-items players are also the best items players because they will dominate the "regular" fighting in a match, meaning the subtle advantages an experienced items-only player would have would not be enough to outweigh the massive disadvantages of not having the same experience during the "regular" fighting periods as say, Ken, Azen, and KoreanDJ.

Now, I think, from reading the question, your also inquiring about the level of skill, would the best items player technically have more skill than a non-items player? To address that, you would have to determine 1)if items do add depth 2)if the random spawns do not influence matches to a moderate to high degree (even a slight degree could be a problem, as pointed out before, only a single spawn can grossly offset the advantages between two roughly equally skilled players).

Okay, so the general agreement, I think, is that the rules do favor veterans, but it's only because the rules were designed to make an otherwise unbalanced game tournament worthy, and because the veterans have, by definition, more experience playing under these rules.

I'm fine with that. Just wondering why things are the way they are.

Moving on to a related topic; what makes Smash unbalanced? I've heard about the fact that speedy characters on large levels have definite advantages, but are there really no counters at all?
This is a chicken and the egg argument, sort of. Did the veterans influence the rules to best fit them or are these veterans so successful because they've been playing under these rules for longer. I think its the latter. The rules have been slowly evolving for years and the players with them almost simultaneously. The slight rule modifications that have happened over the years though have almost never disrupted the top players, is usually the players of moderate to almost high level skill that get most effected (say, the elimination of a counter stage that some players relied on to win matches).

In Melee, Fox on Hyrule is the easiest example of the problem I think you are describing. When there was a loop on a level, you could not corner a faster opponent like you could on a standard platform stage. Without the ability to corner a faster character, slower characters would simply be unable to make up percentage leads for no other reason than they would not be able to catch the faster character. Does this mean the game is imbalanced? I don't know, depends on what you factor into balance. On a standard random/neutral stage, in Melee, the game was relatively balanced (about 1/4th the cast still viable), yet, since the rules are structured with counter stages (to encompass a greater required understanding of both characters and levels), this list expands to between 1/2 and 3/4ths of the characters still being viable. Sure, some characters were piss poor, but the somewhat poor characters could choose levels that play to their advantage and make them more powerful characters.

For Brawl it is still to early to tell how the characters stack up against each other. Most people seem to think MetaKnight/DeDeDe are near the top. I agree with this, but as a Diddy player I have yet to find a strategy/tactic with a single character that cannot be countered by just using banana's, and this includes camping. Does that mean Diddy is near the top? Certainly not, he simply can't kill people as effectively as some characters, but it does mean, at the very least, no strategy (at least on platform stages) will through me for such a loop that a match is not winnable. These are the nuances that will have to be considered, along side the results we see from tournaments, for determining the overall balance of the characters in relation to each other. Tiers do and will exist in Brawl, its just the nature of fighting games, but we can always hope that enough counters between characters exist that no character can singularly dominate the competition.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
The rules don't favor veterans so much. I can beat any scrub in a 1v1 regardless of the stage or with items on or off. Maybe because I'm good with items, but I also know my characters' movesets well too, which most scrubs don't know. If someone wants to get good at the game, it's better for them to practice with items off. Why? In most items matches, people aren't learning the character's actual moveset, they're just racing each other to get the good items. If you like playing with items, you'd probably be good as Peach or Diddy in this game, because they can make items with their movesets.

S2

Smash Lord
Tournament rules really don't favor veterans though, favortism is why they exist in the first place.

The idea behind items off and neutral stages is that the battle is neutral of elements that would completely throw the game off. Tournament rules aren't banning tactics or strategies, so they don't really favor anyone.

As far as balance, some of the items are unbalanced. They were made to score KOs and be fun. They are fun casually. But not in serious play. The philosophy behind Smash is that its customizable. Not everything was made for serious combat. Some stuff is just there for casual fun (things like the Nintendog).

The golf analogy is interesting, because even in tournament rules there are factors that need to be accounted for.

Many of the stages have hazards, some of which either move or can hurt you. But smash still has elements of luck in tournament play.

Certain characters have attacks that are essentially "gambling". Two good examples is Peach's turnip pull and DDD's throw. Both have multiple results that depend on percentage chances.

While its easy to lump this into the items argument at first, they are actually quite different. Part of the Meta-game of these characters is knowing the percents and potential outcomes of using these types of moves. They can work in favor of both the user and his opponent (if you analyze G&W's judgement, its an instant KO attack that only has a 1/9 chance of working). These moves aren't completely random because you can analyze their structure... even though the percentage chances can often make a player appear to be "lucky" (ex: Peach pulls up 3 bombs in a row, etc).

Here's a more tongue and cheek response to the Golf analogy.
I wouldn't compare items in Smash to a Golfer accounting for wind. I'd compare items to a golf game where everyone is using five-irons and a random driver spawns, only one player gets to use the driver... the one who gets to it first.

Mani

Smash Cadet
I did a search and I don't think this topic has come up. Probably the wrong audience to pose this question to as well, but as gamers, I want to see what people think.

I've thrown a few Smash tournaments in the past few months and it seem like the best way to get serious smashers to come is to set the tournament rules in a certain way. Apparently to avoid the randomness of items, free-for alls, quirky stages, and what not. For a while, it was great. I got to see Melee played at a level that I didn't get to see all that often.

Recently though, I've begun to question the standard tournament rules. Essentially, don't they just tailor the game to a certain play style? A play style that tournament players are used to, which basically gives them the advantage of the "others?"

Here's the question: if someone is truly dominant in the game, shouldn't he or she be able to play well regardless of the rules? Are we afraid to play "noobs" on their terms rather than ours?
You answered your own question. The "advanced" rulesets as you call them are not tailored to change gameplay in a particular way but they are tailored to *REMOVE RANDOMNESS* Losing a match because a bomb happened to appear in front of your punch or something along those lines has nothing to do with skill. These rulesets are made to minimize such randomness so that the only skill in the match is within the players hands.

IrrasO

Smash Rookie

comparing the wind in golf to items in melee isn't very accurate... maybe if golf had some crazy settings where a magical club dropped in the middle of the course and whoever ran to it first could use it and it would allow them drive 500 yards. i would be happy with that because i don't plan on practicing golf and it would seem like a good idea to me to even out the playing field for the lazy, but i don't think tiger woods would be all that thrilled.

S P I K E

Smash Ace
NO JOHNS SON

Yeah... Would it be fair to the competitive player if the casual player just came in off the street, got dropped a few pokeballs and sledgehammers from the smash god and beat him in a match because of complete chance? No... That would mean the person who actualy devoted hours upon hours of serious play to the game got fudged over. Excuse my french. The game doesn't mean as much to the casual gamer as it does to the person who practices these techniques and mindgames in order to win the tournament of skill. I assume the competitive player has been to more tournaments than the casual player so you should also assume the better player deserves the win a little more. Random factors like that just are not fair.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Do the rules in the NFL support "veteran" football players?

Do the rules of the government support "veteran" senators?

Do the rules of Magic:The Gathering support "veteran" players?

etc.

etc.

Watty

Smash Lord
the game would be changed dramatically. Instead of seeing a variety of characters, we would instead see all sonic players, or another extremely fast character. Because you would just run around and grab items.

when we stopped playing with items (my crew that is) it took all of a day to get used to. Same goes for stages, I am sure as you kept playing you realized that some stages heavily favor others? Its something you adapt to and once you do you understand why as a community we agree to the standard rules.

The rules we have don't favor a veteran player to someone who is new to the competetive scene, experience does though. Thats why people can practice all they want on the technical part of the game and play with tehre friends 24-7 but than when they go to a tourney and they play people who have completely diffrent styles they get destroyed.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Yes it does, cause when i play Wrath of God, i should be playing the "**** you I Win" card.

Not the "Oh **** im getting *****, EJECT!!" card.

/me runs

Millfolk for brawl

wat?

Let me guess, that's the one card you know. Any deck that is taken out of commission from a Wrath of God needs to go back to the drawing board.

Also, that post doesn't really contribute to the topic at all. You didn't discuss my point that rules don't favor veterans at all. You just posted some random thing that made you look like you have no idea what MTG is about.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
And then Sakurai decides to put in tripping.

I really hope Sakurai dies in a very dramatic car crash.

Same goes for all of Nintendo's persons.

And then, the Nintendo company as a whole.

Top Bottom