• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RPI/Troy Area Smash

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
RPI has an active Smash Club that has 15-30 people weekly. We have active people for Melee and Brawl in the area, and there are occasionally Brawl hacks at the club. Come over or post here for more info.

RPI Student Union Location

Planned stuff:

Smash Club: Fridays, 6pm, 3rd floor union 3602

3rd BEST April 16

People:

We have them

To do:

- More people

- More Smash

- Going to/hosting tournaments

- More stuff

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
I approve of this thread. It'd be really cool if we got more Smash players here.

At the Smash Club, we have multiple tv's and consoles running, and so far, it seems we almost always have Melee and Brawl+ going on. This past Friday, we had Brawl-, too, and I could have set up a 4th tv with something (probably should have since lines were starting to form lol).

And like the OP said, things are gonna get more organized soon. Food, tourneys, etc. So yeah, if you're interested, come check it out. It's always great to see new players.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if we need more tvs/wiis for smash club meetings, I have 1 of each to bring. The tv isn't a crt, so if you're really worried about lag, never mind. I wouldn't mind putting up posters on campus to get word out about the club.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
If we get as many people as we did last time, we might want more TVs. I wanted to do singles for a while, but even more people wouldn't be playing if we did them. If you don't mind creating the posters, go ahead. We need to do stuff like that for more general interest. Since not many people are bringing controllers, maybe a hint to bring a controller would be helpful, too. That and the small set up count might make people leave most quickly.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Subscribing.

Also, maybe run a small free-to-play round robin tourney or something if there's enough interest. Try to get everyone to play against everyone else.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
Good idea. I'd like to hold bigger, double-elimination tourneys later.

About televisions: we can probably scrounge up four or five from the Union, but the more the merrier (yay singles). If it lags we can just give it to the brawlers :p

seg fault

Smash Rookie
I was definitely joking, hence the smiley. Sorry if it offended anyone.

EDIT: why does it say Posts: 0?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Posts in this and some other forums don't add to your count. Also, I'm sure casual players wouldn't care about tv lag anyway.

Are there any good tv sources on campus other than the Union that we can use for a tournament area? Either way, is there a really good spot for tournaments? We'd also need to narrow down a good time for it, like when the club meetings normally are or a Saturday afternoon or something.

Depending on how many people there are, round robin could take quite a while. If one event has a bunch of people, maybe we could try a preliminary round of pools for seeding a bracket but not use it to eliminate many people. That way, there are still plenty of games while making it more like a normal tournament. Whether we'll need to do that depends on advertising and stuff. I do think it should be free, too. The only loss from that is we'd want to think of other prizes.

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
So if tournaments start out free-to-play, I'm guessing that some of the club's funding will go towards tournament prizes?

Also, the more tv's we have, the more ability we'll have to set up 1v1 matches instead of just a bunch of free-for-alls. If we can only get 4 or so Union tv's, maybe people could bring their own tv's/console to play how they want. I know I have a small tv that wouldn't be too much trouble bringing back and forth. But yeah, we should definitely see how many tv's we can regularly get from RPI before we have to consider bringing our own.

I can't wait to advertise this more. It'll be interesting to see what attention it draws.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
Are there any good tv sources on campus other than the Union that we can use for a tournament area?
Not that I know of. Lally 102 has 2 projectors (and another next door), and 2 really bad TVs. The projectors lag, but not atrociously. That's better than nothing in that people who don't care can play friendlies on them. It's a comfortable room, too.

In the union, I recommend Mothers if we can get it. The RCA hosted several tournaments there and it worked well. The game room would be great, but I don't think that they'll let us use it. Someone tried to use the McNeil Room once, but it was actually too big: they had trouble getting people to play their matches promptly.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Mothers does seem like the best spot, and we won't bother with Lally or something. What do you guys think about the possibility of Smash Club reserving a Union room on two nights of the week? Also, what other day would you like? Reserving a room shouldn't be an issue for that. We would need to pick a good time for most people. If we did that, I'd prefer a Monday, Thursday or Saturday.

If anyone has decent space for a couple setups in their room, we could do that instead for competitive players. My room doesn't fit many people well, but it's an option. I've had people just come and play Melee for a while several nights.

Just throwing out a suggestion for that first tournament, October 2? (Saturday) We should try to aim for mostly the campus and make it free entry rather than go for an official local tournament or whatever. It gives us enough time to plan and take care of other club business.

Also, you guys might find the Union's website section for funded clubs interesting, including stuff like the budget policies pdf.

http://home.union.rpi.edu/landings/view/1

Budget stuff is under finances.

On that note, if there's anyone interested in handling budget, we'll really need a treasurer to take care of it. Maybe this Friday or next week we'll elect one at the club. If we're quick about getting the club Union-funded, we can get some benefits early. After all, other clubs are getting their budgets updated and other stuff.

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
Mothers is probably the most comfortable spot for tournaments, I agree.

If we were to meet twice a week, I'd be in favor of Tuesday and Friday. Friday's obviously good, and most people have easy days on Wednesday, so Tuesdays would make sense.

Also, I wouldn't mind being the treasurer. I guess we can vote on all that stuff.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
To start off, Mothers would definitely be ideal for tournaments. If we draw enough crowd, emphasis on the if, McNeil Room would be good. There was a tournament run there my freshman year, right after Brawl came out, and it progressed ok.

Oh, and Tuesdays would be great. All I have is Deep Listening on Wednesdays.:chuckle:

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I suggest moving officer talk out of the thread so people don't have to wade through it. Also, repost in NY player finder or something to try to solidify this as an East NY smash hub.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
We need to take care of this stuff all at once anyway. Do you guys want to meet at the Union some time in the next couple days? The best time might just be to take some out of Smash Club this Friday and sit aside and work on stuff. Also, give me easy ways to contact you guys (ie PM me your phone/email if you don't think I have it). I was told the entire process can take up to months, and that would be after I turn in the initial paperwork we need to do.

Anyway, let's talk about playing more Smash. Who plays what? I'm up for Melee in my room at Davison.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
We play Brawl mostly at my apartment, Brawl - as well. I blow at Melee. I wouldn't mind having people over as long as it's a good time for me and my roommates. 1730 Highland Ave. Just keep going straight at the Tibbits end of Burdette Ave, and my apartment is at the end of the next road. It has two trees in front of its path the door on the right. The one on the left leads to the upstairs apartment that I don't live in. Also, I'll send you my contact info.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
I can't play until at least 9:00 most Tuesdays, but I probably won't have time for two long smashfests per week anyway.

I'm mostly interested in melee, but will play brawl/mods from time to time if other people want. I actually prefer vanilla brawl to brawl+/-. I haven't tried Project:M or (gasp) ssb64, but am game for either.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I happen to have an N64 (and Smash) and Brawl Minus, either of which I'd also play. I have recording equipment, too, if someone wants to use that.

Plus I'm open every night except Wednesday and probably early Tuesdays (varies).

Go tell more people.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I went last Friday. Brawl was pretty weak. It was all Minus. Lol.

Melee players are definitely going strong though.

Since I'm a highschool kid, any day after school I can meet up with anyone willing to smash, just need a heads up. My school gets out at 3:15 but since I have friends that live around I can hang out somewhere for an hour and then meet up with people.

The thing is, I'm kinda not overly into casual play, tbh, and it seems like that's all there is for brawl. I'm okay with getting into melee, as well, though. Just more interested and definitely better at brawl.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would prefer more competitive play for Brawl as well, which is why we need to get more set-ups going, to allow some singles.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you guys have 2-4 differnt smash fests going on every week it makes it much easier for the people that have hectic schedules to make at least one.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
If you guys have 2-4 differnt smash fests going on every week it makes it much easier for the people that have hectic schedules to make at least one.
I would suggest either 1 more on weekdays, OR 1 on weekends.

Also, some tournies would be nice. Even if it's just free/low entry fee tournies.

Just, mad people are salty about brawl up there, for like no reason. Sure, there's some silly ****, but it's not that bad unless your serious about maining Ganon or some ****.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
So here's the basic design for the poster I'm going to put up on campus advertising the club.

Tell me what kind of text I l should put on it.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about any Brawl hate, but it's been a while since I've even seen normal Brawl at the club. Last year this was because there were only two setups, and one was always Melee while another person just loved Brawl Plus. Someone should just bring a Brawl set up or two and play. Either way, you two should just play together.

The poster might not be the best way to represent the club to all new players, unless we want more of an "in" crowd, which I guess might be fine. You'd have to easily recognize Captain Falcon in order to just glance at the poster and then read it. I don't mind it, but I wouldn't rule out a traditional poster with the icon and characters. For text, put normal club meeting times and list what games are available (all). We'll put up more different posters for tournaments, too. Simple stuff like "SMASH CLUB: Play your favorite Super Smash Bros games! Bring your A-game! And a controller! [meeting time and place]." You also need the really tiny font for the take-down date.

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
I've got SSB64 on the VC, too. I know people generally play that game for the nostalgia, and favor using N64 controllers, but hey, it's another option.

So yeah, I have Brawl (+/-), Melee, and SSB64 on VC. My Brawl+ folder has TONS of custom textures and stages, which imo is more fun, but also probably not for as competitive gameplay. Like, I have 6 or so stages all randomly mapped to the FD icon. If people simply want to play FD... well I have a way set up, but if I'm not the one doing the button pressing, it might as well be completely based on luck since no one else would know how to do it.

Oh also, I am in favor of holding as many Smash-fests per week as possible. For example, I know while Tuesdays are generally good for everyone, personally they're not good for me. So basically, the more options, the better. I certainly don't plan on attending all of them, but different people may go on different days.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I now happen to have a second tv in my room for a while, and I can bring it to any club meetings or smashfests. The best nights for stuff at my room at Davison are Monday, Thursday, Friday (after smash club lol), and Saturday, starting as early as 7. I don't care what game you play as long as you can bring a second system just in case you want singles (I would).

The first tournament will be October 2nd or 9th. I want to look into reserving Mothers soon, and we have time to plan. Right now, it seems like more people want the 9th since we get even more time. It'll be Brawl and Melee.

I'll put contact stuff in the first post soon. Post your preferred games (if you haven't) and AIM account. If you don't have AIM, get it. I want to get in touch better with more of you. Easy example for me:

tiger10x - Melee - AIM: Zaandaa

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Brawl - AIM: point of agony89

I would suggest the 9th as the RPI career fair falls on the 2nd and that would probably have the priority of many seniors and juniors.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't realize that. It definitely looks like the 9th now.

First post updated with people section.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Just in case you guys didnt know, theres going to be a decent sized tourney over here in rochester tomorrow, I know its last minute so I dont assume youll be able to make it.

However, theres also going to be a rather large (for new york) tourney on I think the first weekend of november, so make sure you guys get out to that, and makes early arrangements so that you can meet the rest of the state.

just go to the tourney listings section on swf, and look for AXS in syracuse NY

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I need to know, does anyone have a car that they could pick me up in from Hudson Valley Community College?
Sick of having to bus up. Btw, I'll be there today.

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
Turnout yesterday was pretty great. We had like 25 people there, and 5 TV's running Melee, Brawl + and -. Hopefully next week we'll have even more tv's/wiis because I know people were saying they wanted to have some singles matches going on.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Yeah, mostly me. I got a few in though.
I'm going to bring my wii next time, and try to keep it normal brawl singles/teams.

Also, in case anyone doesn't know who I am, I'm the high school kid who comes in with purple shoes. I played FFAs with Fox, and Snake, and did a few singles with Marth.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, not many would want to travel to a tournament, and a lot don't look interested in competitive stuff yet. Luckily I stole nearly all of their emails so I can advertise this stuff better to them.

Top Bottom