• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RPI/Troy Area Smash

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Yeah, not many would want to travel to a tournament, and a lot don't look interested in competitive stuff yet. Luckily I stole nearly all of their emails so I can advertise this stuff better to them.
Are you a melee only player? Cause' even if you don't play, I wouldn't mind playing you in brawl.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Not Melee only, it's just what I'd compete in. I wouldn't mind playing Brawl, but it'd be a bit rough at first. Have you played with Itsnotmyfault, too?

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I think I played some Minus with you. I was the one who brought the Wii that was playing Minus. I would really like some regular Brawl singles next week.

Like we talked about, Tiger, an email telling people to bring set-ups if possible would really ease the ability to play singles. That said, I'll bring my tv as well this week for those that can only bring Wiis.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
Goggles, I'm not sure they would want to travel all the way to Syracuse for Smash, like I would.
I'd like to go, provided that it doesn't conflict with GREs and whatnot.

So... too bad that I don't have a car. Maybe we can arrange a carpool (read: I'll mooch off other people). Let's deal with it after our tournament on the 9th.

EDIT: I'll play brawl singles for a bit if the unmodded brawl bunch needs more people. I think that you'll be fine without me, though.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
RPI should crew battle WPI.

jussayin'

In Melee though...I don't know if I should have confidence in anyone's Brawl skills here...
-DD

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
RPI should crew battle WPI.

jussayin'

In Melee though...I don't know if I should have confidence in anyone's Brawl skills here...
-DD
GDI. Was hoping to wreck an entire crew by myself.

Also, I'll be there this friday as well. Maybe with my Wii, maybe not. All I know is if I bring my wii I'll only have normal brawl singles/doubles going on it.

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
Yep, I'll bring Brawl+ again. Tomorrow I'm gonna do some texture swapping to appease everyone who was complaining that Ninten shouldn't be Ness' blue costume lol. Also adding more textures and stages.

And this time I'll have Brawl+ from the start lol. Friday should be just as good as last week.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
GDI. Was hoping to wreck an entire crew by myself.

Also, I'll be there this friday as well. Maybe with my Wii, maybe not. All I know is if I bring my wii I'll only have normal brawl singles/doubles going on it.
Please do. I would like to get some regular Brawl singles in. I have a feeling they're going to want to use my Wii for Brawl - again.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I'd do some crew battles. Once we start going to tournaments or get tournaments underway, we'll have a good idea of who are competitive players are.

Also, I expect Dan will keep bringing his Brawl+ setup. If people want singles in a specific game, like vBrawl, I recommend having multiple setups of that game. I expect most new people would prefer vBrawl to hacks, too.

Last week we only had two setups for the first 30-60 minutes or so, and there were a surprising number of people that showed up "on time." Just bring setups earlier if you can.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Please do. I would like to get some regular Brawl singles in. I have a feeling they're going to want to use my Wii for Brawl - again.
Well, if you can save a TV for me, I'll make it happen. I'm gonna be srsly strict about it, though. Like I don't want anyone touching my stuff without my permission, and I'm going to be controlling everything that's on it. If people don't like it I just won't bring my setup again.

Also, Melee at RPI sounds legit. I'm interested in getting good, but I want someone to chill with during weekends/weekdays to brush me up on a few things here and there.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you can save a TV for me, I'll make it happen. I'm gonna be srsly strict about it, though. Like I don't want anyone touching my stuff without my permission, and I'm going to be controlling everything that's on it. If people don't like it I just won't bring my setup again.

Also, Melee at RPI sounds legit. I'm interested in getting good, but I want someone to chill with during weekends/weekdays to brush me up on a few things here and there.
I'll be bring my own TV, so you can use that one if you wish.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Also, just to reassure I don't sound like a complete *******, I'm going to be strict because I'm interested in creating an actual competitive community around here, not cause' I want to force everyone to brawl me. Lol.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
GGs to everyone I played, including itsnotmyfault.

I heard something about a tourney for Brawl? or what?
Can someone fill me in?

Edit: Apparently I left my Wiimote there. If there was an extra wiimote there, and someone took it, it'd be cool if I could get it back...

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
We're doing a tournament on October 9th. It's free entry and mostly aimed towards boosting the club on campus right now, so it's kind of like a test tournament to see how later ones will go. Every tournament after this one will be advertised on these boards a lot better. If you want your email added to the club's email list, let me know. That's the easiest way I can get in touch with people. You don't necessarily have to be a student to be on the list.

The tournament is on the first floor of the Union in Mother's. Brawl starts at 1:30 and Melee starts at 6:00. Stuff might be a little lenient since we're just trying to interest people into the competitive scene.

I picked up your remote, too. If you want to pick it up some time soon like this weekend, that's fine with me. I live in Davison Hall, which is one of the halls immediately across the street from the high school. Just let me know a time, and it'll probably work out for me.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Alright. Do you think you'll go to the tournament? If so, can you bring your Wii to that?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
It'll be run like a standard tournament with the same rules. Whether there's pools or not depends on the number of setups.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I asked Itsnotmyfault to do the Brawl rules. We did talk a little about stages though, and it seems like this is the Brawl set:

Neutrals:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:

Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pictochat
Jungle Japes

I don't know what he has as the other rules like bans and stuff, but I would assume it's like the majority of tournaments.

If you or anyone is also interested Melee's stages, they're these:

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64
Brinstar

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
YAY #4 melee rules!

I should hopefully be there to help with melee, or at least play friendlies or something.

Tiger, do you have TIO yet?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've already used it a bit before. That's how I'll do the brackets.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
Excellent. Do we have posters to advertise the tournament yet? Post them and I'll put some up.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Excellent. Do we have posters to advertise the tournament yet? Post them and I'll put some up.
I'm sorry i was really busy over the weekend, so I'm working on it right now. I'll post it later if you'd be willing to put them up tomorrow, as that would save me a lot of time. Also, expect the rules to be pretty much standard. I'll post them later as well.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Here is what I have now. If you think there is a better way to get the information at the bottom across, by all means. Also, seg, I'll put up the posters after class tomorrow, unless you want to.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
More info, less giant picture. Remember, people read these in passing for the most part, so you want all the important info to be discernible at a glance.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I suggest bigger event name/important stuff font sizes and the use of bullet points rather than tons of periods.

Also, despite us wanting more tvs, it would seem kind of desperate to ask for more on posters. I'll announce at the tournament if anyone wants to get more tvs if we end up really wanting more.

If there are multiple posters (with different images), that'd be good again. Stuff like the Smash logo would work best.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten sick. My throat is on fire and I feel feverish, so if someone else could finish/put up the posters that would be great.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
seg fault, would you mind putting them up then? You also would have to replace the takedown info.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
OK, but I probably won't be able to do it until tomorrow. If you can get someone else to put up a few near commons that'd be nice, since I never go there. I'll handle the Union, footbridge and academic buildings.

I'll use bullets, replace the title with a brawl-esque logo, and remove the "bring a wii/tv" bit. Should I say "If you can, bring your own controller" (ie not mandatory) since we'll have a few?

EDIT: what should the takedown information be?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Takedown stuff is basically contact information for the person putting up the poster and the date after the event in really small font in some corner. "Bring a controller" is probably what I would put. If you send it to me when you're done, I suppose I can get some put up by here even though I rarely see any posters by commons now.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
Alright. Here's an edited image with the suggested changes. Anything else I should change?

I'm probably not going to make them all color, and I'm not sure how this picture will look in black and white.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
As far as I'm concerned that's good. The only things I can think of are takedown stuff, which I'm sure you'll add, and getting people to arrive earlier than 1:30. Maybe you could put sign-ups start or it opens at 1, and that the tournaments start at those times. I feel we'll end up pushing it back a little since it's the first time, but I don't want it to be as little as possible.

seg fault

Smash Rookie
I can just move the listed start time 30 minutes earlier if you want.

And yeah, I'll add the takedown stuff. I didn't want to post my email on smashboards.

EDIT: it looks like Union rules don't allow us to post stuff by commons. Oh well.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I missed smash club because my ride bailed on me today and yesterday. I'm gonna bus up, but I'm not sure if I'll make it in time for the tourney or not...

Edit: Nvm, The bus is taking too long, there's no way I'd make it in time.

Top Bottom