• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Dair question

DippnDots

Feral Youth
recently when i was just messing around I found that it actually does send people downwards if you hit them near his shoulders. My question is, is it like Captain Falcon's nipple spike or is it still a relatively weak spike?

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
Both, in the sense that you still have to hit them with a very close part of Roy's blade and in that the spike is generally weak... it's hard to execute, I wouldn't try it in a serious match. I prefer the Meteor Smash anyday.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It's also Roy's laggiest Aerial... you can't chain them or you'll get killed, you can barely use it near the edge (if you miss the edge you'll plunge to your death) and it whiffs most of the time, even when you sweetspot it. It can spike, but it's pretty much one of Roy's worst moves (in there with his ground neutral and f-tilt) and you shouldn't ever attempt using it unless you're in a really tight situation.

You're better off trying to spike with is fair or DED. :p

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
plain and simple roy's moveset is bad starting with yhe dair it can be used to tip them with it then go for a fsmash

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
don't try to spike with dair in a serious match.
point blank.
for one, its hard to do.
for two. it sends them almost STRAIGHT down. you'd want it to send them at an angle like marth's.
just don't try it unless you're messing around.
If you master it, thats another story, but no one has yet.

-F_a_T_e-

Smash Cadet
^^^

d air sohuld not be an attack that goes going to be focused on using. If you spike em, ur lucky XD

Corigames

Smash Hero
I did it today in a friendly for the first time (there was a bunch of "WTF!!!"s, "LOL!!!"s, and "He can do that?"s going around. Basically, I wavedash edge hogged a Samus about to screw attack recover. I grabbed the edge the same time she started going upward. I noticed that he was close enough to hit with, so I gave the spike a try. I nailed it killed him, ended the game, didn't die because of laggy move, and won. It was great.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
recently when i was just messing around I found that it actually does send people downwards if you hit them near his shoulders. My question is, is it like Captain Falcon's nipple spike or is it still a relatively weak spike?
The problem is that it's a meteor smash, and a slow one at that, so it's EASILY canceled, whereas Falcon's nipple spike is a true blue spike like Marth's or Falco's.

The only time I ever got it off it was immediately meteor canceled anyways, and that time I was still in Marth mode and thought ledge-hopping the dair for a spike was a good idea (it wasn't).

Tempest.01

Smash Rookie
why does every1 think roy's Dair is a spike? i've done it and it got meteor cancelled >< it's not a spike.

but regardless it suck. the ONLY possible use I can remotely find for it is if the opp. has high dmg, you shffle it to get a little more space. maybe tease them.

it does work wonders in a melee tho >_>'

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I guess you could use it on the stage to force your opponent to the ground. Maybe if you're fighting Jiggs and you shield a pound or something. I could only see it being used as a defensive and desperate move.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
I guess you could use it on the stage to force your opponent to the ground. Maybe if you're fighting Jiggs and you shield a pound or something. I could only see it being used as a defensive and desperate move.
If you sweet spot them onto the stage from the air, they almost always land in neutral stance, so pretty much get hit every time.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Okay, I've mastered Roy's Down-Spike, and I'll tell you when it should be used, the purposes and everything of the Down-Air; You others may want to take heed.

Roy's down air is laggy, but over all, its a very good move. I'll give uses.

#1 - As someone already said in this thread, can be used to pop up someone for a forward smash. Can also be used from holding onto the edge to come back up to the stage. If someone is trying to recover and you're getting back up with it, tis a good chance you'll be inside of them and able to spike them. if not, it'll pop em up enough for you to get a F-smash in.

#2 - When going up to platforms from the bottom. its a good chain starter, where as his up-air is good for juggling through platforms. Take note.

#3 - When hit with the edge (Either going in or out), it knocks them away at times, and can be used to setup for edgeguards if you know what your'e doing.

#4 - Can be combo'd into from the combo thing a ma bob (If you notice that if you get 2 N-air's combo'd into each other, they can hit you out the second one, Down air here). Good stuff. Also, for space animals spiking, throw them up, Jump up, spike. wait for them to meteor cancel and prepare for edgeguard ( You will not believe the amount of people who honestly don't DI their space animals from Roys upthrow at high damage)

Milos

Smash Lord
What I've found useful about the D-air is that you can chain with the tip on the ground, but for edgeguarding purposes, it's not that useful. the spike-box's range sucks, and the timing is hard. It's a great move for starting combos though. I like to L-cancel it into a grab and go from there.

Top Bottom