• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Royal Lamentation - Cry about Marth thread

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
i believe sheik dthrow to fair is a true combo at low percents. but yea...the only true thing marth has is uair into uptilt. and greninja...mhm...as far as my testing goes he doesnt really have combos either.

what marths biggest problem will be is that unlike melee were you space,space,space and then get in the right moment for high rewards (combos/strings) smash 4 marth on the other hand spaces,spaces,spaces then gets in with one hit and the situation is mostly reseted due to too much knockback(thx vectoring). and imo this whole 'but marth puts the opponent in a bad position' thing is only partialy true since in my experience good players play around it pretty easily... i dunno, marth just lacks this special bit that put him ahead in melee and brawl IMO. i hope somebody comes and proves me wrong or that im able to prove myself wrong since i love marth. and you, Emblem Lord, you really seem to put alot of effort in marth, thank you! its persons like you we need to take characters to the next level. just sayin/ no homo

Rnes2_D2

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rnes2
3DS FC
4313-0816-3993
As a former Marth main, since Melee, i have to say there's something about him now that is just throwing me off my usual game with him. At first I thought it was just re-adjusting to the 3ds handheld button set-up, but after a couple hours trying to break into him again, it's just not the same. I had all his moves timings and ranges so down.
Oh the days when I would be able to dash into an UP-A fully charged smash attacking with confidence :(

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
It's because you have to adapt to his 3ds playstyle. You can't really use Brawl and Melee mechanics to play him. Well besides the use of Dacus :o, since it's in this game. He isn't bad he's just different. Surely you wouldn't feel as confidence doing such a move, but it's all about getting to know this new Marth.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
It's not just you. Marth isn't Marth anymore, sadly. His new tools are nothing compared to what they took away. At first I was optimistic, but now I'm just playing other characters.

The only reason I use Marth now is to beat up people who play Lucina

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
It's funny because I don't play Marth in melee but after a few days of smash 4 Marth I'd say Marth has become my 3rd best character in melee. Skills transfer over and that's pretty amazing in itself

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
It's not just you. Marth isn't Marth anymore, sadly. His new tools are nothing compared to what they took away. At first I was optimistic, but now I'm just playing other characters.

The only reason I use Marth now is to beat up people who play Lucina
...he's actually really solid in this game. The fundamentals are still there and he punishes much harder than in brawl. He's still Marth - he can do everything a Marth should be doing.

All the doom and gloom here is misplaced. Stick with him and you'll see that he has a lot of potential.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
...he's actually really solid in this game. The fundamentals are still there and he punishes much harder than in brawl. He's still Marth - he can do everything a Marth should be doing.

All the doom and gloom here is misplaced. Stick with him and you'll see that he has a lot of potential.
I'm not saying he's bad, but he's not the same character anymore. I've started using Marth again because I've been playing the solo modes recently, but never for online. Too much lag for me to play Marth effectively. Ganondorf, Robin and Samus are my new mains

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Online is bad for any character that has to space to be effective. Marth was top of high tier in Brawl and he was ass online then too.

CWiet

Smash Rookie
It looks like Marth and Lucina are pretty short. They're barely taller than Little Mac Maybe if they were slightly taller, they would have a better range with their swords.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
His combo game is different compared to his other counterparts. He's still a punish oriented character.

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet

Yeah I think he's still good but the nerfs do hurt quite a bit. The tip is much harder to place and you have to work more for it compared to Melee. I feel like he'll have a lot of issues against speedy rushdown characters and good turtlers. I can't see him being anything worse than mid-tier

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
y is marth so bad tho
for real
it cries me every time i seeing it

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ganondorfs forward A has more range than Marth's forward smash... What the heck happened to marth? D:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
It's just a shame, really. He was the only character with a counter in Melee and his sword swipes made him unique. Now he has nothing going for him anymore.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget Peach and Roy

I'm also a bit bothered by all the counters, though. Shulk, Marth, Lucina, Ike, Peach, Greninja, Lucario, Mii Fighter, Little Mac, Palutena, that's at least 10 characters with a counter.

Marth is the GOAT.

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord

Greninja has some true combos. I tried them in training mode. SH Nair> U-tilt>U-smash>Uair links for 7-9 hits

U-throw > U-air works till like 80 lol

D-tilt > Dash U-smash combos from 100-150

Dair> Nair > Uair also works

Combos for days.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I still think marth is high tier to be honest. Still a top 10 character in the game. Only characters I see giving him problems in this are characters that move around on the ground really, really fast. Since he doesn't have his fast fall fair anymore.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hate to say it but that kind of talk is not what this thread is for. This thread is about whining about marths nerfs. Though i think its cool your faith in marth us still present. Just wanted to throw that out there

Top Bottom