• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

roy vs marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

slashinroy32

Smash Cadet
Is roy or marth better? the world may never know. I think they ;eft roy out of brawl cause hes too good. on gmae faqs in this faq i read, it said roys fsmash is the best move in the game. A big discussion going on there right now is on who is the best character in Melee between Roy and Marth. I think Roy is better because his counter is a lot stronger but some disagree and say that Marth's tilt attacks are what make him better. but everyone knows tilt attacks arentt as good cuz theyre harder to do. what do u guys thing why isnt roy in brawl hes better than marth!

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
It's one thing to have stupid ideas that Roy is better then Marth, but quite another to make threads about it in the Roy boards. Seriously, it's such a stupid topic. and instead of making a new thread, couldn't you of posted on the previous thread addressing the same dumb toic?

greenpika

Smash Cadet
roys counter is one move. roys smash is another. marths tilts are four moves. marths airs are four moves. roys smash is slow. marths moves are all fast. roys spike is extremely inconvienient. marths spike is amazingly easy to pull off. roys sweetspot has you get too close to the enemy. marths sweetspot allows spaceing. marth is high tier. roy is low tier. have i made my point?

Levi5

Smash Ace
everyone know that tilt attack are stupid, why could you want do them over an smash attack they much more power

this is reason for roy better than marth

Firesoul1

Smash Apprentice
everyone know that tilt attack are stupid, why could you want do them over an smash attack they much more power

this is reason for roy better than marth[/QUOT E]

1. Good tilts = Great combos.
2. Who in their right mind is going to spam the F-smash?

greenpika

Smash Cadet

this is reason for roy better than marth
"everyone" must include u and other n00bs, cuz tilts are like 10 million times faster than smashes... so uh, who here thinks tilts are stupid?

if someone wavedashes out of a smash, they could just come back in before u recover. but tilts are alot faster, and giv u time to do sumthing.

but seriously, just one reason makes roy better than marth? ppl have debated this forever, and ur solution is just one reason? sure.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
if you're going to say Roy is better then Marth, do it in the Marth boards.

with that said, now that brawl is out, I'll be in the DeDeDe boards.
*starts lurking*

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Dude....I already went over this....Marth ***** Roy. Oh and Tilts.....saying their useless is like saying Walking is no good and you should just run everywhere. You're going to get tired eventually. Dude, Tilts are SUPER useful. outside of the fact thtat Roy's BEST move is the Dtilt, oh gee, so they aren't useful? Ever wonder why computers can be gay if you try to use actual techniques on them? Jabs and titls...oh, I guess nobody ever thought of that. If you just went around and smashed all the time, you'd get *****.....that is unless you had a scrubby marth that knew how to Wavedash. The you could Wavedash Fsmash. Albeit effective, that Marth will get *****....badly. Titls FTW, considering Marth can KILL with a tilt. Roy....not so much. You'd be VERY, VERY, VEEEEEEERRRRRY fortunate if you could. (Happened once, lol, a fluke, I swear.) Oh, and to use a different character as an example: shiek - tilts = Shiek crouched. Otherwise described as: "Bent over and ready to get *****."

"Crank that Roy"

Marth117

Smash Cadet
Marth is better.
I mean as most have said he's sweetspot is farther. Also he's on high tier, and Roy stinks in airial combat Marth doesn't. Plus Marth is back in Brawl, not Roy. That might say something.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
O.o what the....? Are you guys serious? Just look at the BASICS. Marth is better than Roy on any level of gameplay. It....seriously boggles my mind, how a child can know this, despite loving playing Roy. Why can't you guys get it?

"Crank that Roy"

D

Deleted member

I a big roy fan but I'll admit marth is better.
Roy is AWFUL in the air while marth is pretty good and to me that makes all the difference

~the society to put roy in as a downloadable character

f1r3 3mbl3m

Smash Cadet
It all depends on your preference. I personally prefered Roy in Melee, but I used Marth a lot too. Now in Brawl, I've gotten used to Ike's play-style, which is different from both Roy and Marth, but i can still kick butt with Marth.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
HAY GUYS! im back at least for today.
looks like the roy boards are still as ignorant and stupid as they used to be, so im going to leave again.
then again, the ike boards arent much better...

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I too wish Roy would have returned. I am a Marth-mainer, and don't get me wrong Marth is better, but I wish Roy would have returned instead of Ike, who is a complete douche bag.

eriKK

Smash Rookie
marth>roy because melee is basically all speed and marth is quick as hell, but roy is still top tier material
if played correctly

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
HAY GUYS! im back at least for today.
looks like the roy boards are still as ignorant and stupid as they used to be, so im going to leave again.
then again, the ike boards arent much better...
QTF

i no longer see a reason to be at the Roy boards.

*starts lurking again*

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Yeah, something like that. I'm pretty much here 'cuz I'm waiting to see a post about sethlon's combo video. Where you at Sethlon?

Oh...yeah.....Marth>Roy, lol. Gotta stay on topic.

"Crank that Roy"

p.s. I finally got the song....now I just need the footage, xD.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
OMG people are still debating over this......-_-

MARTH IS FREAKIN BETTER THEN ROY!!!!!!!!!

And if you dont like it, then deal with it!

Marth > Roy end of story.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Amazingly remedial at times.

Levi....I don't want to sound mean...but how much more do we have to prove it. It was obvious when the game first came out...and REALLY obvious now. Nothing....and I mean NOTHING has changed by way that Marth>Roy. Take it from someone who left Smash YEARS ago and came back, and then decided to learn the game ALL over again. I was told that Roy sucked, but nobody really had to tell me. I figured it out on my own. Why do I play Roy? Oh gee....because I LIKE to play Roy. That's why anybody plays Roy. That's because it sure as heck ain't because he's good. You have to look at facts, and not just friggin' opinions. Marth is just better. Accept that Roy sucks, then know his weaknesses....afterwards you can become good yourself and make Roy look good. The fact will still remain that he sucks, though. Coming from a former Roy main as he was whipping my Roy's behind. "Oh Roy, you're so gimpable!" *sigh* Get a grip on reality.

"Crank that Roy"

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Hmm...should I post here? No. But I shouldn't drink alcohol either.

This entire post is mainly aimed at you, Levi.

First of all, you came in here and said Roy was better than Marth, then asked us to prove you wrong. Appeal to ignorance. It's your job to give us premises to support your statement, not our's to refute your completely baseless one.

But, because I'm in a ranting mood, I'm going to slowly explain to you why Marth is better than Roy anyway.

There are many things Marth has over Roy, but one thing really seperates them in the tiers more than anything else. Marth has a tip sweetspot, while Roy has a tilt sweetspot. What does this mean? It means Roy has to get really close to his opponent to be effective in combat. Well, wait, doesn't that defeat the point of having a -sword- in the first place? Why yes, it does! Compare Marth/Roy's attack animations to, say, Fox's, and what do you notice? Fox's are generally much faster. The reason Marth and Roy's attacks are a bit more laggy than average is because their sword gives them reach. It's a basic compromise found in many games: more reach, more lag. The problem is, Roy gains that lag for nothing, since he's fighting within Fox's range anyway. Marth, on the other hand, can play a spacing game, since he wants his opponents at the outside of his reach, so his lag is justified.

I could also throw in that Roy is definitly NOT faster than Marth (this has been proven time and time again through frame data. It's not debatable), and Marth's attacks are actually slightly -stronger- than Roy's, assuming both are sweetspotted. Their swords are the same length, by the way, so don't bother bringing that up. Actually, due to something called the "Roy zone", Marth's is arguably longer.

Then there's their falling speeds. Marth is floaty, allowing him to chase opponents into the air and combo very fluidly, while Roy's fastish-fallerness prevents him from doing pretty much anything outside of dtilt -> uair.

I could go on, but I've satisfied my need to rant. Please don't be ignorant and try and refute this information, it's 100% fact by now.

White Assassin

Smash Cadet
i think marth is better, cause he has better arials.
if u take a look in the top tier list all charakters but peach have great arials.
and marth hits u earlier with his sword, because his effektive radius is in his advantage.
roy was replaced cause in fe 11 (remake of fe 1) marth will apear again and ike apeared in fe 9 and 10.
in europe no one would know roy if there would have been ssbm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom