• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
Oh, by the way.
I seem to have noticed something about Roy Fair. May be nothing, idk.
When I full hop Fair with Roy, I can't act immediately as soon as I land, which is weird since Fair is a fast move; why wouldn't it autocancel?
But at the same time if I full hop Fair, I can perform another action while I'm still in the air.
This means that it takes more lag landing than in the air...? Idk. Will have to test more.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Oh, by the way.
When I full hop Fair with Roy, I can't act immediately as soon as I land, which is weird since Fair is a fast move; why wouldn't it autocancel?
But at the same time if I full hop Fair, I can perform another action while I'm still in the air.
This means that it takes more lag landing than in the air...? Idk. Will have to test more.
You can act out of the aerial before the autocancel window ends. Roy's Nair and Dair are like this too. Basically, he has Marth's autocancel windows even though his aerials end faster so this can happen.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Sorry for being gone for a bit, but I'm back. A family member came over to visit and I spent a couple days with him.

Oh, by the way.
You can also short hop, fair, then almost instantly jump again, provided you buffer everything.
You can use a special immediately after the fair instead, allowing some neat stuff with Flare Blade, Blazer, and DED. It also allows you to land with counter immediately after a fair for whatever reason calls for it.
Acting after a short hop fair with jumps+specials instead of outright landing is a way to avoid landing lag when fair doesn't hit, and a way to combo into crazy things when it does hit.

You don't need to double stick to do it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnTF4GQQDA) but it's one way to.
I just do the regular inputs quickly without doing anything special, I don't double stick.

Roy's landing lag windows are just poorly-designed.

Sorry for being gone for a bit, but I'm back. A family member came over to visit and I spent a couple days with him.
Ayyyyyyy

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind me posting some music in here from time to time.

I've been following Kyle Landry for the last few years, and he makes a lot of beautiful stuff, especially through his original compositions:

It was heartwarming seeing someone in the comments remember a specific book from his 2008 work.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You can also short hop, fair, then almost instantly jump again, provided you buffer everything.
You can use a special immediately after the fair instead, allowing some neat stuff with Flare Blade, Blazer, and DED. It also allows you to land with counter immediately after a fair for whatever reason calls for it.
Acting after a short hop fair with jumps+specials instead of outright landing is a way to avoid landing lag when fair doesn't hit, and a way to combo into crazy things when it does hit.

You don't need to double stick to do it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnTF4GQQDA) but it's one way to.
I just do the regular inputs quickly without doing anything special, I don't double stick.

Roy's landing lag windows are just poorly-designed.
I agree. It's really weird. I mean on a positive, at least most of his lang lag is relatively low.

Anyway, I HAVE FINALLY LEARNED ROY'S ULTIMATE TECH!!

Now I can show off my mad taunting skillz next tourney. :shades:
:O

HOW ONE DO THIS?!?!?

:135:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Let me know when you're free and we can set up a time to play.
Sorry, I've been kinda busy all weekend... I'll let you know when I'm free, might be sometime this week. Maybe even tomorrow before I head out to my weekly, would be nice practice... or after if I'm not completely pooped lol

In other news, I've been watching and studying a bit of Ryo's Roy. If you're curious, click here and here for some recent Roy gameplay (already posted them in the video thread). I know Roy isn't his main, but it's nice to see him pull out Roy from time to time. Like those 1st hit Nair and falling Uair combos <3

I need to learn to be more aggressive -- I think it's great when players know when to switch from playing defensively to going on the offence (or vice versa) depending on the situation. It can be important to have such flexibility, which can help players adapt to certain situations. For me, I feel like I'm playing too defensively sometimes, and if I just went more on the offence I think I could of gotten better rewards. I'm always scared to apply pressure and take risks lol. Especially applying off-stage pressure. Although, when I was playing friendlies recently, I did get a few Blazer stage spikes, so it's a start.

:O

HOW ONE DO THIS?!?!?
It's the same input for pivot sliding, but you're inputting a taunt at the same time.

So, when Roy, turn around in the opposite direction and begin to walk. Then release the control stick the moment Roy moves his feet. If you get the timing right (you might need to practice a bit), he will slide and you could input a taunt or an attack (Dsmash and Flare Blade work best, other moves cancel the momentum). Check out the pivot sliding vid for more details and a better explanation lol.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Ayyyyyy, Mason!
Rip, 0/10 not lmao (or, /tts lm mayo)

Hope you guys don't mind me posting some music in here from time to time.

I've been following Kyle Landry for the last few years, and he makes a lot of beautiful stuff, especially through his original compositions:

It was heartwarming seeing someone in the comments remember a specific book from his 2008 work.
Mooooosic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7CA0fSZh7E (I need to stop posting Undertale remixes lol).

HOW ONE DO THIS?!?!?

Taunt sliding is Roy's most important tech. Well worth the practice, because it is so swag lol.

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
Oh, it was because I was buffering airdodge instead of shield. Dammit, Chomp. Ty for info, Mason.

Sorry, I've been kinda busy all weekend... I'll let you know when I'm free, might be sometime this week. Maybe even tomorrow before I head out to my weekly, would be nice practice... or after if I'm not completely pooped lol

In other news, I've been watching and studying a bit of Ryo's Roy. If you're curious, click here and here for some recent Roy gameplay (already posted them in the video thread). I know Roy isn't his main, but it's nice to see him pull out Roy from time to time. Like those 1st hit Nair and falling Uair combos <3

I need to learn to be more aggressive -- I think it's great when players know when to switch from playing defensively to going on the offence (or vice versa) depending on the situation. It can be important to have such flexibility, which can help players adapt to certain situations. For me, I feel like I'm playing too defensively sometimes, and if I just went more on the offence I think I could of gotten better rewards. I'm always scared to apply pressure and take risks lol. Especially applying off-stage pressure. Although, when I was playing friendlies recently, I did get a few Blazer stage spikes, so it's a start.

It's the same input for pivot sliding, but you're inputting a taunt at the same time.

So, when Roy, turn around in the opposite direction and begin to walk. Then release the control stick the moment Roy moves his feet. If you get the timing right (you might need to practice a bit), he will slide and you could input a taunt or an attack (Dsmash and Flare Blade work best, other moves cancel the momentum). Check out the pivot sliding vid for more details and a better explanation lol.
The stream layout for that tourney was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing every time I thought about it. I was giggling too much a few months ago and I still am.

With being more aggressive, what exactly do you have to lose experimenting? Why fear opponents so much? Do you truly want to fear them? I have a suggestion. I was a passive player during 3DS, and one thing I did was play without fear to loosen myself up, I wouldn't allow myself to second guess or fear going for anything for several friendlies sessions. I'd sometimes disable shielding/airdodging entirely and set L/R to attack and play for at least 1-2 days with both of those ideas. It really helped remove a lot of that fear and hesitation from my play. Try to go offstage with absolutely no fear for a while, and treat potentially losing a stock from it like it's nothing. It might help.

I have to go start paying for gym membership again, I'll check back on the social and properly get to other posts after.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, so far, these are the characters that have hitbox visualizations done: Greninja, Sheik, Cloud, Mewtwo, Lucina, ZSS, Jiggs, Pikachu, and WFT. Exciting stuff, totally appreciate the work that's been done <3

And I loved brawlbox. At the time I was always amused whenever I looked up Lucas' Up Smash hitbox lol

Can't wait for round 2!

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I know that this isn't quite exactly Roy related, but it's his father so...

I've been working on an Eliwood plush for a few months. I'm almost done with it. Just gotta work on the cape, boots, head and shoulder pads. It should take 2-4 weeks maximum, depending on the schedules of my sewing teacher and I. Here's the outfit:

When it's done, I'll definitely be carrying it to tournaments as like a Roy prop or something. I see people carrying around plushies of their mains. Might as well join in on the fun. Yeah, Eliwood's not playable, but Roy has an alt that references his colors, and I have a feeling people will think my plush is Roy anyway, lol.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

I've been working on an Eliwood plush for a few months. I'm almost done with it. Just gotta work on the cape, boots, head and shoulder pads. It should take 2-4 weeks maximum, depending on the schedules of my sewing teacher and I.

When it's done, I'll definitely be carrying it to tournaments as like a Roy prop or something. I see people carrying around plushies of their mains. Might as well join in on the fun. Yeah, Eliwood's not playable, but Roy has an alt that references his colors, and I have a feeling people will think my plush is Roy anyway, lol.
Let this be the birth of our own Duna!

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Eliwood should be a Roy skin. Just like how there's an Alph.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Eliwood should be a Roy skin. Just like how there's an Alph.
Believe it or not, I think Eliwood would work better as a Marth skin. Eliwood fights more gracefully than Roy does; if you see how he fights in FE7, he kinda looks like he's fencing a bit. Roy in Smash kinda fights more aggressively. This is especially evident when he uses his Flare Blade. He uses his sword almost like a hammer there, and his reverse grips just won't look good on Eliwood IMO.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Believe it or not, I think Eliwood would work better as a Marth skin. Eliwood fights more gracefully than Roy does; if you see how he fights in FE7, he kinda looks like he's fencing a bit. Roy in Smash kinda fights more aggressively. This is especially evident when he uses his Flare Blade. He uses his sword almost like a hammer there, and his reverse grips just won't look good on Eliwood IMO.
You're right. FE7 is my favorite game. Of course, Roy looks like a fencer in his game too. I didn't think of your solution. He would fit a lot better as Marth. Tall, has the skinnier sword, graceful like you said. Either way, the main point is Eliwood totally deserves to be a skin. (can't say character because there are now enough FE reps). Also, Hector and Caeda assist trophy plz.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

I have successfully pre-ordered the Marth Nendoroid I can finally sleep happily! Comes out near the end of May, but since the figure is made in celebration of the FE 25th anniversary, I have a feeling scalpers will raise the price. Meaning don't wait to buy the figure when it's out. There's also Caeda, though I might get her figure down the road.

*looks at Vipermoon Vipermoon 's avatar*

Please tell me you have already pre-ordered both figures? :p

But seriously, I'm not a huge Nendoroid fan (rather have a full scale figure). But Marth looks really authentic. In addition to the Falchion, the figure also comes with an iron sword, a rapier, and the actual Fire Emblem. The clothing has a lot of detail too; you can see ripples in certain areas and there's metallic paintwork on the armour. And the cape looks like it's blowing in the wind... But more importantly, I never knew the hero-king could look this adorable! <3

With being more aggressive, what exactly do you have to lose experimenting? Why fear opponents so much? Do you truly want to fear them? I have a suggestion. I was a passive player during 3DS, and one thing I did was play without fear to loosen myself up, I wouldn't allow myself to second guess or fear going for anything for several friendlies sessions. I'd sometimes disable shielding/airdodging entirely and set L/R to attack and play for at least 1-2 days with both of those ideas. It really helped remove a lot of that fear and hesitation from my play. Try to go offstage with absolutely no fear for a while, and treat potentially losing a stock from it like it's nothing. It might help
I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what makes me so scared. It could be nerves coupled with MU inexperience, but I think it's mostly the former since during friendlies I feel more relaxed and genuinely play better. And I actually go off stage for edgeguards lol. I seem to have more composure when I'm in losers bracket though, which is kinda odd but I guess it can be a good thing? Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll try it out.

I've been working on an Eliwood plush for a few months. I'm almost done with it. Just gotta work on the cape, boots, head and shoulder pads. It should take 2-4 weeks maximum, depending on the schedules of my sewing teacher and I. Here's the outfit:

omg that's awesome, can't wait to see the finished product! And carrying around such plush at tourneys might even bring you extra luck!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You know what's funny?
I was genuinely going to come in here today to bring up that Roy's dair could actually be the footstool set up move we're looker for...

then the adorable things... adorableeeeee
what are we talking about again?

Verashiden

Smash Rookie
^.^ Hi! I'm new here.

I'm Verashiden (most call me Vera for short). Started Sm4sh as a Marth then played Roy at a friend's house and never looked back. I'm a scrub but I hope to learn a lot from you!

Pleasure to meet you all!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Has anyone seen the latest Smash Corner Video? Cause the make a pretty big mistake in it. They said that Corrin has the strongest Counter in the game (stats wise)

I have successfully pre-ordered the Marth Nendoroid I can finally sleep happily! Comes out near the end of May, but since the figure is made in celebration of the FE 25th anniversary, I have a feeling scalpers will raise the price. Meaning don't wait to buy the figure when it's out. There's also Caeda, though I might get her figure down the road.
I remember seeing this earlier. It is pretty adorable. Though I personally think the Young Link is SOOOOO much more adorable X3. I was planning to get it when it released, though from what you are saying, maybe it might be good idea to preorder it.

Dropping by real quick to drop the hottest Roy combo of 2016:

Oh this is amazing! Final some more techniques for Roy.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
^.^ Hi! I'm new here.

I'm Verashiden (most call me Vera for short). Started Sm4sh as a Marth then played Roy at a friend's house and never looked back. I'm a scrub but I hope to learn a lot from you!

Pleasure to meet you all!
Hey, welcome! :) Together, we ride! lol

---

Has anyone seen the latest Smash Corner Video? Cause the make a pretty big mistake in it. They said that Corrin has the strongest Counter in the game (stats wise)

I think there is a strong argument in favor of it being the strongest counter. Upwards trajectory, and, what, a 2.3x Knockback modifier? Is a bit silly lol.

---

curious: can you also dair > footstool > sourspot bair to set up a jab lock? Or, is it too high percent at that point? Thinking dair > footstool > sourspot bair > fsmash

considering how unsafe it is on shield, might also be fun exploring for frame cancelling the dair lol.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord

Pretty much saw this as soon as it was uploaded since I'm subbed to you lol. Really nice stuff!

*looks at Vipermoon Vipermoon 's avatar*

Please tell me you have already pre-ordered both figures? :p

But seriously, I'm not a huge Nendoroid fan (rather have a full scale figure). But Marth looks really authentic. In addition to the Falchion, the figure also comes with an iron sword, a rapier, and the actual Fire Emblem. The clothing has a lot of detail too; you can see ripples in certain areas and there's metallic paintwork on the armour. And the cape looks like it's blowing in the wind... But more importantly, I never knew the hero-king could look this adorable! <3

I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what makes me so scared. It could be nerves coupled with MU inexperience, but I think it's mostly the former since during friendlies I feel more relaxed and genuinely play better. And I actually go off stage for edgeguards lol. I seem to have more composure when I'm in losers bracket though, which is kinda odd but I guess it can be a good thing? Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll try it out.

omg that's awesome, can't wait to see the finished product! And carrying around such plush at tourneys might even bring you extra luck!
Nice! It looks adorable.

Hey, welcome! :) Together, we ride! lol

---

I think there is a strong argument in favor of it being the strongest counter. Upwards trajectory, and, what, a 2.3x Knockback modifier? Is a bit silly lol.

---

curious: can you also dair > footstool > sourspot bair to set up a jab lock? Or, is it too high percent at that point? Thinking dair > footstool > sourspot bair > fsmash

considering how unsafe it is on shield, might also be fun exploring for frame cancelling the dair lol.
I need to find the frames for frame cancel dair, I wonder if it does have those.

By the time you can dair -> footstool, it's far past the bair lock range.

I could try uair -> footstool -> dair -> footstool -> dair -> aerial next.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I need to find the frames for frame cancel dair, I wonder if it does have those.
Link to the original thread on frame cancelling (was originally found with Falco's dair, but I believe that one was patched out). :(

Essentially, though, frame cancelling is hitting with the hitbox 1 frame before landing, so that the hitlag overrides the landing lag. It allows for silly things like this:

Link to the original thread on frame cancelling (was originally found with Falco's dair, but I believe that one was patched out). :(

Essentially, though, frame cancelling is hitting with the hitbox 1 frame before landing, so that the hitlag overrides the landing lag. It allows for silly things like this:

GET

SOME

I just got uair -> footstool -> dair -> footstool -> dair -> aerial (all sweet) several times, I'm uploading the footage now.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
GET

SOME

I just got uair -> footstool -> dair -> footstool -> dair -> aerial (all sweet) several times, I'm uploading the footage now.
Could you try getting the 2nd dair to sourspot and maybe adding an additional footstool -> dair? Also thanks very much for the uploads, much appreciated.

.....Did that just do 42%? Holy hell, frame cancelling Cloud is scary.
Frame cancel uair can lead into dair but they need to sent offstage to kill them, works at around 50% damage depending on attributes.

Top Bottom