• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
So is there anyone doing anything significant with Roy in offline tournaments yet? I think my Roy is ready for tournament but curious to see where the meta with him is right now. Seems rather underdeveloped even though he's a 6 month old character.
Static Manny and Neo also use Roy in addition to Sethlon.

Hai :3 This is the Roy forum I assume?
Yep, this is the Roy forum, welcome! :)

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
idk what it is about it but I hate that cover... and pretty much all of nwtb's covers for that matter. It might be because most of it loops 2 or 3 times and the metal aspect is done to death, it just makes it get overplayed after one listen for me.

NOW THIS ON THE OTHER HAND!
BYOTOFUL!!!

So is there anyone doing anything significant with Roy in offline tournaments yet? I think my Roy is ready for tournament but curious to see where the meta with him is right now. Seems rather underdeveloped even though he's a 6 month old character.
I got top 8 in a major the only time I used Roy offline, but I'm not happy with my play from then.

I won't be traveling again until early 2016-ish, but I aim to really hit the online scene until then and improve.
(Need to save up to move a buddy down here and visit my girl before I throw money at tournaments and travel again)

Yeah, what LotadAlittle LotadAlittle said. @Sethlon is doing well at Shockwave with Roy and improving every week, his sets and analysis videos are definitely worth looking at to build a solid foundation with the character. I like to go on YouTube, search "smash 4 roy" and sort by upload date pretty often, and Sethlon always means there's gonna be a lot of sets. Better name him Setslon.

I'll have some Winner's Finals (Roy only) and Grand Finals (Roy/Fox) up whenever the TO and his assistant get these VODs up. I think you'll really like the GF's, not sure about WF's since I feel like gimmicks and throwing off the Mario's punishes are the only reasons why I won.

Imo Sethlon and LD are the best Roys to study from. Calm's sets from a while back are really good too. NEO's good but he needs to stop switching to Sheik after game 1 every set so we can get actual Roy data. Even if he played a matchup well and won with a good lead he does it. Not a fan of Manny's Roy (now known as oniihero or onichan or something). You could study him, but other mid or high-level Roys seem to have better fundamentals and more creative use of Roy's tools, and matchups feel more fleshed-out watching them.

Hai :3 This is the Roy forum I assume?
Welcome, my dear delcome. Hopefully you enjoy our dead social, we sometimes rise from the dead for brief bursts of big activity.

Last edited:

MitchWG

Smash Hero
NNID
kerfuffle14
3DS FC
2767-1245-3854
I got top 8 in a major the only time I used Roy offline, but I'm not happy with my play from then.

I won't be traveling again until early 2016-ish, but I aim to really hit the online scene until then and improve.
(Need to save up to move a buddy down here and visit my girl before I throw money at tournaments and travel again)

Yeah, what LotadAlittle LotadAlittle said. @Sethlon is doing well at Shockwave with Roy and improving every week, his sets and analysis videos are definitely worth looking at to build a solid foundation with the character. I like to go on YouTube, search "smash 4 roy" and sort by upload date pretty often, and Sethlon always means there's gonna be a lot of sets. Better name him Setslon.

I'll have some Winner's Finals (Roy only) and Grand Finals (Roy/Fox) up whenever the TO and his assistant get these VODs up. I think you'll really like the GF's, not sure about WF's since I feel like gimmicks and throwing off the Mario's punishes are the only reasons why I won.

Imo Sethlon and LD are the best Roys to study from. Calm's sets from a while back are really good too. NEO's good but he needs to stop switching to Sheik after game 1 every set so we can get actual Roy data. Even if he played a matchup well and won with a good lead he does it. Not a fan of Manny's Roy (now known as oniihero or onichan or something) in the slightest, he's not a good Roy to study.

Welcome, my dear delcome. Hopefully you enjoy our dead social, we sometimes rise from the dead for brief bursts of big activity.
Thanks .3.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
ayy lmao that's some top kek **** right there
good **** go౦ԁ **** thats ✔ some good**** rightthere right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology

Imo Sethlon and LD are the best Roys to study from. Calm's sets from a while back are really good too. NEO's good but he needs to stop switching to Sheik after game 1 every set so we can get actual Roy data. Even if he played a matchup well and won with a good lead he does it. Not a fan of Manny's Roy (now known as oniihero or onichan or something). You could study him, but other mid or high-level Roys seem to have better fundamentals and more creative use of Roy's tools, and matchups feel more fleshed-out watching them.

Much gratitude. I'll check these out.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
from
good **** go౦ԁ **** thats ✔ some good**** rightthere right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****
to
Much gratitude. I'll check these out.
Ah, I love you, smashboards, never change.

Troykv

Smash Master
I saw this

That art remembers me the Roy's Melee Design (with the pose).

Here's some Roy gameplay of mine. I'm hoping it helps improve Roy for others here, or gives some good ideas to implement.

If you guys have any critique (things I underutilized or didn't use at all I could work into my play, noticable mistakes, ways I could play these matchups better, things I did that you like) then please lay it on me. I want to work it into my play and continue improving.

I plan to have better footage up later, which I'll post when it's up.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Here's some Roy gameplay of mine. I'm hoping it helps improve Roy for others here, or gives some good ideas to implement.

If you guys have any critique (things I underutilized or didn't use at all I could work into my play, noticable mistakes, ways I could play these matchups better, things I did that you like) then please lay it on me. I want to work it into my play and continue improving.

Thanks man this helps. I actually just started with anther's ladder to get better, so I will use this there. Btw I got bronze 1 in anther's and havent won a set yet, BUT least they were all close sets. Also just a misc question for you since you are more experienced with roy: I find that I am missing my DED a lot. Like I just can't seem to get the timing down. Is DED a pure timing thing to get down, like with the multiple parts of it.

Thanks man this helps. I actually just started with anther's ladder to get better, so I will use this there. Btw I got bronze 1 in anther's and havent won a set yet, BUT least they were all close sets. Also just a misc question for you since you are more experienced with roy: I find that I am missing my DED a lot. Like I just can't seem to get the timing down. Is DED a pure timing thing to get down, like with the multiple parts of it.
Yeah, after the first hit, you have to input B (and whatever direction you want, if your analog stick isn't being pushed then it does forward variations) for each hit in a certain window of time until the fourth hit, then it ends. Training mode is good to practice timings, the timing window is lenient enough to do really fast strings or stall each hit. It's tricky at first and doesn't want you to go too fast or slow, but you'll have better control over it if you go into training mode and practice it every day.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Nothing against you, but the music made it hard to watch...
Otherwise, I see you suffer from the same problem as me. Grabbing/Attacking the wrong side by pure chance.

I also noticed, you go out of shield sometimes too soon, otherwise, you play quite well.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Yeah, after the first hit, you have to input B (and whatever direction you want, if your analog stick isn't being pushed then it does forward variations) for each hit in a certain window of time until the fourth hit, then it ends. Training mode is good to practice timings, the timing window is lenient enough to do really fast strings or stall each hit. It's tricky at first and doesn't want you to go too fast or slow, but you'll have better control over it if you go into training mode and practice it every day.
Yea, I think thats honestly something I need to do more of. I pretty much never practice in training mode. I could do that to warmup before playing anther's. That way I could also practice extended dash dancing and perfect dash turnarounds. What other techs/things do you think I should practice?

Yea, I think thats honestly something I need to do more of. I pretty much never practice in training mode. I could do that to warmup before playing anther's. That way I could also practice extended dash dancing and perfect dash turnarounds. What other techs/things do you think I should practice?
Out of shield:
(basically, a jump input happens, and you drop shield without the 7 shield drop frames and act immediately)
-Up Smash
-Up-B
-Short hop nair

Ground movement:
-Ledge trumps

Specials:
-B reverse and wavebouncing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1elkJwtDo

Other:
-Rewatch replays, spot mistakes that get you hit in neutral or ones that are continually abused or just bad ideas to begin with, post your gameplay around for critique.
-Go on youtube, look up smash 4 roy, sort by upload date to get the most recent sets, stick to tournament sets.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm really glad they didn't go with those designs lol.
I'm really glad to see the Roy's Design in Smash 4 is based in the actual official art (with some details of the Awakening Art).

But yeah, those designs look... Eh... Well... You know.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So we got pretty extensive interview on Roy's inclusion in Smash-series as a whole.

Anyway, these points struck to me as interesting:

Sakurai: When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him. So, in comparison to Marth, whose sword is stronger at the tip, I made Roy’s sword stronger near the hilt, which I felt made them feel very different. But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!

Interviewer: (laughs)

Sakurai: In terms of personality, he’s mostly the same as Marth. But in Melee, Roy is expressed as a very strong character because that’s how I envisioned him during the development phase. I just want to make it clear his representation in Melee is not because I didn’t understand his character (laughs).

Interviewer: But, because that impression is so strong, I feel like Roy’s image has an element of wildness, or mischievousness.

Sakurai: He has a sense of hidden power, I think. And, this time, when I was redesigning him for Smash for 3DS/ Wii U, I had him sometimes hold his sword with a reverse grip. I thought that would strengthen the image of him getting close to his opponent and hitting them with a lot of power. I used his Melee design as more of a suggestion, and remade many aspects.
And since as of late the FE 25nth Art Book revealed these designs:

How intriguing. I guess more or less, the fans portraying Roy as bit hotheaded doofus to Marth's cool foil were kind of right. And if going by how lukewarmly (or negatively) he was received in means of more reserved personality in his own game, maybe the energetic demeanor is where they should have stayed after all?

I mostly do keep reading how Roy seems to have a personality of a wooden plank, especially to those who came from Melee to his game. Not that I think his characterization is bad in FE6 - but possibly they could have thrown little hints of being energetic boy inside. Sounds like a backstory where his energetic upbeat attitude was forced to be suppressed in order to become a responsible army leader. Maybe in Smash he gets to wind up and be more external, showing more his true side. Would also compliment well how lively and happy boy he was when young.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Hey guys its been awhile. I moved back to Oregon recently so i have been super busy. I still am really busy but i just wanted to tell you guys im still here. Cant wait for the reveals today and am waiting to download C-Loud when i can. Hopefully we get some other good stuff thats not stages or costumes.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Hey guys its been awhile. I moved back to Oregon recently so i have been super busy. I still am really busy but i just wanted to tell you guys im still here. Cant wait for the reveals today and am waiting to download C-Loud when i can. Hopefully we get some other good stuff thats not stages or costumes.
Don't worry. I still love you.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
I can feel the fuming salt from everybody about
CORRIN IN THE HOUSE.
He/She looks like a really interesting and unique character. I can see that people are angry about the amount of representation from that series, but he looks so cool I don't even mind. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I can feel the fuming salt from everybody about
CORRIN IN THE HOUSE.
He/She looks like a really interesting and unique character. I can see that people are angry about the amount of representation from that series, but he looks so cool I don't even mind.
Eh, I saw someone super salty and quitting Smash because Bayo got announced, so those corrin salt is alteady turned into sugar in comparison right now.

I really don't get why people get angry over OPTIONAL content these days... they could have ended it with Cloud and nobody would have been mad. But release 2 more, and everybody looses their minds.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Eh, I saw someone super salty and quitting Smash because Bayo got announced, so those corrin salt is alteady turned into sugar in comparison right now.

I really don't get why people get angry over OPTIONAL content these days... they could have ended it with Cloud and nobody would have been mad. But release 2 more, and everybody looses their minds.
Holy ****, quitting smash? That seems a bit drastic.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
I know. People seem to have lost the ability to appreaciate what they got already. :/
Seriously, its just a DLC character. They look fun to play and that is really about all I care about.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536

Look at this salt^ It was posted as its own thread on the Corrin board.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Look at this salt^ It was posted as its own thread on the Corrin board.
We got some super sad people in Bayo board aswell, how banjo would kill bayonetta and some are even topclass cringy.
But really, this gem you found, the sarcasm made me laugh.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion

There are apparently enough Roy experts around that I never need to offer my own opinion so I will keep this short. If you're going to attempt to guide people, at the very least guide them in the right direction. LD essentially does almost nothing correct with Roy from covering his hurtbox, applying his hitboxes, to even moving the character correctly. I did not see him do anything to indicate he understood or had control of the character in any of the videos I watched.

I know it's your opinion, but you seem to be one of the most active here and that is definitely misinformation you have provided.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
We got some super sad people in Bayo board aswell, how banjo would kill bayonetta and some are even topclass cringy.
But really, this gem you found, the sarcasm made me laugh.
Yea, the guy's thread was locked and then he went on to rage on the mod's profile. It was hilarious.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hey guys, I'm back from my Smashboards breather and I'm going to do a clean up & updates starting tomorrow since I'm about to hit the hay. I've noticed some unnecessary threads made, so please do research before making a thread and post questions in relevant threads (Q&A, this social, etc.) instead of making a new one.

In the meantime, have some cute fanart:

How intriguing. I guess more or less, the fans portraying Roy as bit hotheaded doofus to Marth's cool foil were kind of right. And if going by how lukewarmly (or negatively) he was received in means of more reserved personality in his own game, maybe the energetic demeanor is where they should have stayed after all?
Personally, I kinda like Roy's character in his game. I feel that if they went with a more wild or energetic personality it would've made him a bit more predictable in terms of personality. Although I think in one support it's revealed that when Roy's depressed or unhappy he masks those feelings, so who knows. Maybe his energetic side gets suppressed too. But since he's more reserved and down to earth in FE6, I feel like he subverts this popular trope. It's like, if you see a redheaded anime character, 9 times out of 10 the character has a fiery personality. More so if the character also has fire powers lol. I'm exaggerating, but still. I'd like to see more twists on tropes/cliches.

Still, if given the chance in an FE game, I wonder how they would flesh out Roy's character.

Top Bottom