• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Tfw I inadvertently started the "A skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world. That is why I main Roy" phrase.

It was on a video uploaded by IGN with Axe's four stock on Silentwolf in Melee. The comments were deleted by either the thread owner or IGN, but you can still find the screenshots if you look hard enough. They're in at least one place on Reddit and a few places in Melee Hell on Facebook. The user in them is Mason Emblem.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Tfw I inadvertently started the "A skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world. That is why I main Roy" phrase.

It was on a video uploaded by IGN with Axe's four stock on Silentwolf in Melee. The comments were deleted by either the thread owner or IGN, but you can still find the screenshots if you look hard enough. They're in at least one place on Reddit and a few places in Melee Hell on Facebook. The user in them is Mason Emblem.
I still think you're a god for starting that meme

On the topic of the Sheik matchup... what I would personally do is ask around everywhere you possibly could. I'm not sure what you've done yet, but getting multiple sources and comparing the data seems to help me, if only very slightly

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Just to let you guys know, I will be sorta less active here for a bit. Still gonna check the boards once a day at least, but it's crunch time at school and most of my focus will be on that. So hopefully after I'll be able to update some OPs like I was planning to.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
oh ya where u live noob lets fite irl

But in all seriousness my id is David33 if you wanna take a crack at me kid ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What would you say are Roy's general pros & cons? Where do you think he falls on the tier list? Maybe a little advice on how to play the matchup with :4megaman: or :4greninja:? I don't particularly have any problems fighting Roy, in fact I almost always beat every Roy I come across (and in For Glory, I come across a LOT of Roys), but I never bothered to do any real research on your character since he was released and most of said Roys I beat are just for glory rookies or wimpy players and I feel I beat them more because of basic fundamentals than actual MU knowledge, I beat the player rather than the character. I did face 2 friends of mine who played him in friendlies at locals in my region, but one of said friends says he doesn't know how to fight Mega Man himself and neither of us really knew the matchup (again, versing the player more than character), and the other one was months ago when Roy was just released and I wasn't even fighting him with my actual main.

All I actually know about Roy (or think I know?) is that he's one of the fastest characters in the game movement wise, he's a fast faller, and he sucks offstage: both at recovering back and when edgeguarding. I never know when I might come across an actually good Roy in Bracket and if that happens, playing just the player isn't going save me then.

Aside from a pro+cons list, In particular I'd like to ask these: What are your BnB combos and how good are they? What do you do in neutral and how good is your neutral? I hear some say he has bad approach options and I've heard mixed things about his combo game, but I don't think its enough to be certain.

Last edited:

SilverAvion

Smash Ace
NNID
AvionSeal
3DS FC
0447-6098-0944
Hey, I'm trying to get extremely good with Roy. Roy's been my boy since Melee, and has continued to be my boy until Smash4 (my profile just lists my other secondaries in those games). I have been analyzing videos and replays, writing down his every move and trying to come up with combos and followups. I wrote so much, I think that I'm gonna stop for a while, it helps but I'm not looking for how to beat matchups anymore.

Recently I played the strongest member of the crew I am in, and after losing 3-2, he gave me tips. He just played another Roy main in the crew who plays quite differently than me and in summary, he told me that I am great at mindgames, I am good in the neutral, and I am definitely a read-based player. But due to this I am lacking seeing and optimizing punishes, I don't go in, but rather back out after every punish, and he gave me a training regime that I've been doing ever since.

"Watch Gears, Heero, Sethlon. Understand the workflow of Roy. Once you got a good bearing on it, play For Glory as Roy. When playing, move non-stop. Make every action a hit-box. Every move an attack, an approach. If you bait an attack, SD. If you stop for a second, SD. If you think instead of letting muscle memory take over your actions, SD. I must continue this for at least a week, preferably a month."

I feel as if although my training works at times, my playing instinctively is too influenced by my natural calm and defensive playstyle. I have watched StaticManny (aka. Heero) and Sethlon play, but they are pretty conservative in their style as well. I want to know if there are other people out there who I can watch who have an extremely aggressive style (even if they lose), so I may continue to learn a more aggro style.

Does anyone have some good Roy videos or replays? I will be watching as many as I can until I receive a response.

Thank you for reading.

What would you say are Roy's general pros & cons? Where do you think he falls on the tier list? Maybe a little advice on how to play the matchup with :4megaman: or :4greninja:? I don't particularly have any problems fighting Roy, in fact I almost always beat every Roy I come across (and in For Glory, I come across a LOT of Roys), but I never bothered to do any real research on your character since he was released and most of said Roys I beat are just for glory rookies or wimpy players and I feel I beat them more because of basic fundamentals than actual MU knowledge, I beat the player rather than the character. I did face 2 friends of mine who played him in friendlies at locals in my region, but one of said friends says he doesn't know how to fight Mega Man himself and neither of us really knew the matchup (again, versing the player more than character), and the other one was months ago when Roy was just released and I wasn't even fighting him with my actual main.

All I actually know about Roy (or think I know?) is that he's one of the fastest characters in the game movement wise, he's a fast faller, and he sucks offstage: both at recovering back and when edgeguarding. I never know when I might come across an actually good Roy in Bracket and if that happens, playing just the player isn't going save me then.

Aside from a pro+cons list, In particular I'd like to ask these: What are your BnB combos and how good are they? What do you do in neutral and how good is your neutral? I hear some say he has bad approach options and I've heard mixed things about his combo game, but I don't think its enough to be certain.
I won't be answering all the questions you asked, but here is a few basic tips of what I wrote on how to play against Greninja

Greninja
  • Patience is key.
    Will try and camp you out with Water Shuriken.

• Does not have option for you standing behind him.
  • Grabs
    DI down and away at low %.
    DI away at high% (away from where he’s facing towards)

• Safe Follow-ups when he’s in air
    Be wary of Dair

• Recovery can be fairly easy to stuff.
    - Be wary of S-B when he is above or horizontal with stage.

• Can stuff his Nair approach with either Nair or U-B
Here are the general options I've found for him, not including his combos.
Options

Jab: Defensive and Damage tool
- Mid to low percentage = Start to combo.
- A safe option for an approaching opponent.

U-tilt: Grab follow-up. Also defensive tool.
- Covers behind, not in front.
- Opponent is above you, safe option.

F-Tilt: Mainly kill and Get-off me move.

D-Tilt: Poking tool.
- Also a get off me tool, but with less committal than F-tilt, and less power.

F-Smash: Early kill move.
- Strong and with reach.
- Extremely punishable.

D-Smash: Covering tool.
- Stronger on back side.
- When a ledge-get up or roll onto stage is anticipated.

U-Smash: Pressure tool.
- Use when opponent is on platform.
- Committal option when opponent is above you, and does not trade well.

Grab: Damage tool
- If the character in front of you has Low - Mid %.
- Better punish than other options. May also jab.

Dash-Attack: Punish Tool
- Punish option for a baited dodge.
- Punish option for a landing opponent.

Nair: Punish Tool
- Stuffs enemy approach from air.
- May counter projectiles if timed correctly.

Fair: Pressure/Approach tool. Gimping Tool
- Fairly safe approach option from full-hop (may jump away after).
- May gimp opponents recovery through conditioning into thinking I won’t go off-stage.

Bair: Kill Tool
- Kill option from the air.
- Used to stop a recovering opponent.

Dair: Appropriate use not yet found.
- Not from full-hop.
- Perhaps used as punish when air-dodge is baited

N-B: Poking and Gimping tool
- Extremely safe option. May be used as bait.
- May be used as a gimping tool. Long-distance.

U-B: Bait punish tool. Mix-up tool.
- Can punish an opponent’s hard read.
- May also be a tool to punish my conditioned opponent.
- Can catch opponent in air or on platform.

S-B: Covering tool
- Punishes spot-dodges well at low percentages.
- Can cover the option of the opponent attacking.
- Cannot handle well if shielded.
High option at low percentage and Kill-percentage (not near edge)
Mid option at kill-percentage near ledge, to get opponent off stage, and to cover more range
Low option at mid-percentage. (Can be crouched canceled and hit out of at too low of percent)

D-B: Punish Tool
- Read option, Conditioning punish.

Finally, for Roy's basic style you should watch ZeRo's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhQfFAvnEl8
In summary:
1. Starts off very slow and defensive. Zoning out opponent.
2. Use time to get feel for opponent
When do they shield? Air-dodge?
Block, approach, or how they defend themselves?
3. Go into an aggressive read based approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Hey guys! Haven't spoken to you all in a while. I've been busy lurking on the DLC discussion threads, hehe~!

So I'm sure that some of you guys remember this book, right?

Well, after reading the reviews, it turns out that the book mostly covers Awakening/Fates instead of the other games in the series. All of the other FE games share only about 150 out of the 300-400 pages in the book. It is also mostly text, meaning that if you were looking forward to seeing more concept art, like me, you'll be left quite disappointed.

In short, if you were hoping that this book would cover all the games, and not just the newer ones, you'll be left in disappointment. Can't say I'm surprised though; most of the staff that worked on the previous games have left, and I doubt that many of the newer fans care enough about the older games, correct me if I'm wrong. It sucks, because I was really hoping they would cover the production and beta stages of some of the older games, especially for the Elibe games. Most of the older games were quite discreet when it came to their production stages, and I was hoping that they would cover it in this book.

Well, time for some positive things; even though a lot of the older characters have been reduced to "cute little cameo" statuses now, at least IS haven't forgotten about them completely. Specifically talking about Sigurd and Eliwood, because at least Marth and Ike get a fair amount of attention due to Smash relevancy.

Also, I've been slowly starting to get into tournaments now. I've been told that I have pretty good fundamentals, but shabby execution. Anyone got any tournament Roys you want to show me?

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Hey guys! Haven't spoken to you all in a while. I've been busy lurking on the DLC discussion threads, hehe~!

Well, after reading the reviews, it turns out that the book mostly covers Awakening/Fates instead of the other games in the series. All of the other FE games share only about 150 out of the 300-400 pages in the book. It is also mostly text, meaning that if you were looking forward to seeing more concept art, like me, you'll be left quite disappointed.

In short, if you were hoping that this book would cover all the games, and not just the newer ones, you'll be left in disappointment. Can't say I'm surprised though; most of the staff that worked on the previous games have left, and I doubt that many of the newer fans care enough about the older games, correct me if I'm wrong. It sucks, because I was really hoping they would cover the production and beta stages of some of the older games, especially for the Elibe games. Most of the older games were quite discreet when it came to their production stages, and I was hoping that they would cover it in this book.

Well, time for some positive things; even though a lot of the older characters have been reduced to "cute little cameo" statuses now, at least IS haven't forgotten about them completely. Specifically talking about Sigurd and Eliwood, because at least Marth and Ike get a fair amount of attention due to Smash relevancy.

Also, I've been slowly starting to get into tournaments now. I've been told that I have pretty good fundamentals, but shabby execution. Anyone got any tournament Roys you want to show me?
Well I know for certain that there are some newer fans who play awakening and then go back to play the older ones. How do I know? That's me.

My first fe game was awakening, which I got last year, and now I'm going back and trying to play through all the others (It'll be a while...). Now after playing through 1 and a half of the 3 gba fe games I revisited awakening to see if the things people were saying about it were true (I remembered liking it.). I didn't want to just hate it because a lot of others hate it but... I really don't like it anymore - not after having a taste of some other fe games. fe 8 and 7 have set my expectations for an fe game much higher than they were.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

Aw darn. I really wanted to see some of that info, too. I hope it's still worth a look.

Also, just a small question: do you guys think my permanent secondary should be Pit, Sheik, or Pika? For covering foul match-ups or stuff Roy/Jiggs just can't do. (and jiggs can barely do anything tbh)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Kinda had a feeling that would be the case. Still interested in the book. And someone posted a few scans on their Instagram. Check out some of Roy's early designs... hm, looks vaguely familiar.... Love the dragon artwork too.

Alllriigghhtt fess up boys which one of you was this.... ;)
Oh **** that was actually me. After the match my Wii U blew up and I had to be hospitalized due to 5 ulcers, 34 broken ribs, and a fractured coccyx.

:teeth: <-- the face of a masochist

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Oh **** that was actually me. After the match my Wii U blew up and I had to be hospitalized due to 5 ulcers, 34 broken ribs, and a fractured coccyx.
pretty sure that's sarcasm so hard it hurts, but I'm not certain

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, Hyrule Historia had a disproportionately large segment about Skyward Sword, though you could argue that it was because of that game being the first in the timeline.

Hey guys, I haven't really had time to catch up on the social lately, I'll do that at some point.

There is a Wi-Fi bracket this Saturday that I was asked to advertise and get people in for. If you want to see more details, join this group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/405593832915234/
and then check out the pinned post, which asks users for their NNID to easily play each other when the time comes. The pinned post also features an event page for discussion, and a challonge that you must manually sign in for.

Basically, you:
1: Join that Facebook group.
1.05: Grab the Challonge link in the pinned post, sign yourself in with your Challonge account.
2: Comment your NNID in that group's pinned post, along with the name you used on Challonge.
3: Join the event page to find matches and discuss stuff once Saturday rolls around.

It's just a fun little Wi-Fi bracket where at least one of each player's sets will be uploaded. It's a good chance to test out secondaries, a new main, or pockets in a competitive setting, different stages, and other stuff with no pressure to win or lose. It'll happen every two weeks.

I hope to see you guys there :) I plan to bust out the Fox and maybe Palutena.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Accidentally pulled off a 70%+ true combo earlier today on Bowser. Where do I post about the combo if I don't have a way to record it?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Accidentally pulled off a 70%+ true combo earlier today on Bowser. Where do I post about the combo if I don't have a way to record it?
did you save replay? because if you did you can send it to youtube

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Nah I didn't think to save a replay with the upcoming direct coming up.
It was just a footstool combo at low %. The Bowser just tried to jump out of the fair, bair jab reset and got footstoole OS'd instead. The untechable comboed into upair, bair, upair, bair fair. His DI was up at first then away near the end. I tested it out in training mode after the fact and found I could've ended up Blazer instead.

Never visited the Roy boards before since he's easy enough to play. Judging by theamount of posts in these threads this is probably old news too.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Just to let you guys know, I will be sorta less active here for a bit. Still gonna check the boards once a day at least, but it's crunch time at school and most of my focus will be on that. So hopefully after I'll be able to update some OPs like I was planning to.
Best of luck man.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Well I know for certain that there are some newer fans who play awakening and then go back to play the older ones. How do I know? That's me.

My first fe game was awakening, which I got last year, and now I'm going back and trying to play through all the others (It'll be a while...). Now after playing through 1 and a half of the 3 gba fe games I revisited awakening to see if the things people were saying about it were true (I remembered liking it.). I didn't want to just hate it because a lot of others hate it but... I really don't like it anymore - not after having a taste of some other fe games. fe 8 and 7 have set my expectations for an fe game much higher than they were.
Same here actually. I have Sacred Stones on 3DS cause Nintendo gave it to me for free, so I am gonna start playing that soon (If I ever stop playing Fallout 4).

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Hey guys, I haven't really had time to catch up on the social lately, I'll do that at some point.

There is a Wi-Fi bracket this Saturday that I was asked to advertise and get people in for. If you want to see more details, join this group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/405593832915234/
and then check out the pinned post, which asks users for their NNID to easily play each other when the time comes. The pinned post also features an event page for discussion, and a challonge that you must manually sign in for.

Basically, you:
1: Join that Facebook group.
1.05: Grab the Challonge link in the pinned post, sign yourself in with your Challonge account.
2: Comment your NNID in that group's pinned post, along with the name you used on Challonge.
3: Join the event page to find matches and discuss stuff once Saturday rolls around.

It's just a fun little Wi-Fi bracket where at least one of each player's sets will be uploaded. It's a good chance to test out secondaries, a new main, or pockets in a competitive setting, different stages, and other stuff with no pressure to win or lose. It'll happen every two weeks.

I hope to see you guys there :) I plan to bust out the Fox and maybe Palutena.
I am pretty ****ing bad, should I still enter with my Roy?

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Same here actually. I have Sacred Stones on 3DS cause Nintendo gave it to me for free, so I am gonna start playing that soon (If I ever stop playing Fallout 4).
I'm half way through my 4th playthrough lmao. I got it the same way.

I am pretty ****ing bad, should I still enter with my Roy?
Of course! It's an opportunity to improve, meet players, befriend them, get critique, get gameplay up to get tips, and get more involved in a cool community group. We have a lot of varying skill levels so you'll easily be able to find someone at an equal level and someone at a higher level to both learn from.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Of course! It's an opportunity to improve, meet players, befriend them, get critique, get gameplay up to get tips, and get more involved in a cool community group. We have a lot of varying skill levels so you'll easily be able to find someone at an equal level and someone at a higher level to both learn from.
I got home later than expected, and now I have some work to do. Looks like I'm gonna sit this one out regardless. Thanks tho.

I got home later than expected, and now I have some work to do. Looks like I'm gonna sit this one out regardless. Thanks tho.
No worries, we'll be doing this again in two weeks. We plan to keep things running smoothly like these last two brackets and keep improving on anything possible. Everything's been running really nicely lately.

I'm sitting in GF's atm waiting for Loser's Bracket to happen. Surprisingly didn't pull anyone besides Roy.

http://challonge.com/RoyvoBiWeekly3

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So is there anyone doing anything significant with Roy in offline tournaments yet? I think my Roy is ready for tournament but curious to see where the meta with him is right now. Seems rather underdeveloped even though he's a 6 month old character.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
So is there anyone doing anything significant with Roy in offline tournaments yet? I think my Roy is ready for tournament but curious to see where the meta with him is right now. Seems rather underdeveloped even though he's a 6 month old character.
well Sethlon, of course, and although I've never seen him play, dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 seems to know what he's talking about. Also, wasn't it you who said a similar sort of thing about tink on his boards? To do with your tink being tournament ready or something.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
well Sethlon, of course, and although I've never seen him play, dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 seems to know what he's talking about. Also, wasn't it you who said a similar sort of thing about tink on his boards? To do with your tink being tournament ready or something.
Yep that was me. I used Toon Link, did pretty well with him but I don't think he is quite what I'm looking for. I have not written him off though. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right secondary so I'm just gonna go full force with them in tournament until the right one has made itself clear.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Yep that was me. I used Toon Link, did pretty well with him but I don't think he is quite what I'm looking for. I have not written him off though. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right secondary so I'm just gonna go full force with them in tournament until the right one has made itself clear.
ah, I know that feel, it took me a while to get my secondaries. I've mained tink since brawl (dair lol) and I've secondaried marth for the longest time during sm4sh's life. Once Roy was released I started to secondary him and eventually secondaried roy and marth, which is what my current situation is (although I'm thinking of picking up zss soon because I ****ing love the metroid franchise, she'd fun as hell and it's always good to have a top tier in your pocket).

Hai :3 This is the Roy forum I assume?
nah, this is 9gag ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Or was it that hacker '4chan'? All I know is that I'd need a small loan of a million dollars to figure it out.

Top Bottom