• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Godlike. Try fastfalling uair with the hitbox behind you to pop them up. Covers your landings, you can do stuff quickly after, it combos into a lot, and I use it a lot. I love that it's consistently a guaranteed 20-30 damage at such a huge percent range.
Yeah, I go for that and for fastfalling landing Uair behind the opponent. Pretty safe and you can grab instead if they're shielding.
At 100%+ btw you can tipper landing Uair to UpB KO, similar to how first-hit Nair to Ftilt is a KO setup. It's just pretty hard to react to for both players, though.

Revisiting this old, oldschool gem lately. I feel like not many Roy players have seen it.

Melee or smash 4?
Edit- Dont know smash4 combos well yet
It's universally beast in Melee, PM, and 4. In 4, it true combos for 21 with fair or bair at a huge percent range, and can sometimes true combo around 30 damage at low and mid percents. It gives you amazing positional advantage, so you can get even more.

At low percents, you can uair with the hitbox behind you -> turnaround jab -> anything off jab, it's ridiculous and I need to get better at it. I can imagine regrab or nair after the jab, which could mean another aerial. That should be roughly 30-40 true damage easily from around 0. Uair into fair/bair is an easy 21 at mid percents for a really, really long time.

I love uair even more in Melee. I use it to set up a lot. It lost some of its use over official titles, but it's still amazing.

Yeah, I go for that and for fastfalling landing Uair behind the opponent. Pretty safe and you can grab instead if they're shielding.
At 100%+ btw you can tipper landing Uair to UpB KO, similar to how first-hit Nair to Ftilt is a KO setup. It's just pretty hard to react to for both players, though.
Yesss!! I want to become much better at sourspot uair into ftilt/utilt/blazer, it's just Roy's most difficult confirm so far.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Does anyone ever actually read threads like that, though?
I do...

I even read like all the rules and small print joining this forum. But mostly because I was bored lmao I'm such a nerd.

Croph y u no play with me in all the time i have said im free eh? School 2 op plz nerf
I know... sorry. I've just been bombarded with homework recently. The drawing assignments take too much time and energy to complete. I'm not very good at drawing (yet), which is why these things take like hours upon hours of non-stop drawing to finish. While my professor can finish half of the assignment in like an hour. But hey, I have a workaholic side to me (I mean, why else would I work through all my lunch hours/breaks at my ex-job. No really, I have no idea why I wanted to work ALL day), so it's all good. :p hopefully by the end of this week I'll have more free time

I have spaghetti cravings that haven't gone away despite having it three times in the last week.

I made the fattest pot of spaghetti the other night... oh my god... I make amazing spaghetti. It might be my bribe. My bride, too, I'm pretty much married to the stuff.

Pizza cravings, too. I tried hershey cookies at work when guests left them behind for us and they're way too good.

I need to live it up tonight and just eat.
Homemade spaghetti sauce is the best. <3 For Thanksgiving, I made an alfredo & ham pasta bake, which was the second time I used the same recipe and it turned out even better than the first! I'm not that fond of turkey and I wanted to try something different for Thanksgiving I guess lol.

I kinda agree that this sub-forum is kinda cluttered and unoragnized. I mean...
  • the stickied MU thread is unmaintained, and considering the recent patch, it might be smart to restart with a new one
  • whenever I stop by the stickied Q&A thread, I see a lot of unanswered questions (I've tried to answer some when I can, but there are a lot of questions I don't know the best way to answer lol, or I didn't have time in the moment to answer them and never got around to answering them later)
  • the OP of the stickied player finder thread was never updated with players' contact info, it's scattered in among the regular posts of the thread; is that normal?
  • I see a lot of frivilous threads being made (sorry @King0fTheFlare but you're a case in point there), and sometimes people double and triple post on them (case in point).
I'm more than willing to go with the flow on this, not trying to rock any boats, just a bit sad to see that our sub-forum is kinda weedy and in disrepair, ya know? Maybe we can brainstorm solutions and start cleaning it up or something? I'd be more than willing to help with this.
Yeah, it would definitely help if some OPs (like the stickied threads you mentioned) are updated. And others like the video thread should have archived videos. Doesn't have to be all that's posted, Roy guides and such are good too. And even tourney playlists are good if people are too lazy to edit in all the tourney matches in the OP.

Take a look at some other character boards. Sonic is a good example. Their video thread has various archived videos in the OP, which is good if, say, a newbie Sonic wants to quickly find a guide video. Player Finder thread has Sonic mains listed under their country. Again, quick & accessible information. And they have like cool or funny pictures in each OP lol. Nice little touch.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person, so I tend to stay away from Q&A threads. I'd much rather have someone know what they're talking about answer questions, than have false information spread. So, it's understandable if there's too many questions and not enough answers (Roy boards aren't the most popular anyway). But I'd like to help in any way I can as well. And it's totally fine giving your honest thoughts on this situation. It's good to have feedback so we could try to improve the boards.

I think it's important to get some OPs updated so they have information that's quick and easy to find. If the original poster is never around, I'd say find someone who could take over. But iirc, mods don't have the ability to change thread owners anymore? Might have to contact someone else in that case. And to update threads whose owners aren't around... might have to get mods to update the OP? Or if they're too lazy/busy to update things, we could always create the posts for them. For example, in the video thread I made a list of early Roy impression vids and guides (which could be added or not in the OP, whatever's good).

Btw, that comic is very informative!

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Yesss!! I want to become much better at sourspot uair into ftilt/utilt/blazer, it's just Roy's most difficult confirm so far.
Maybe with an Option Select the combo can be more usable.

BTW, I manage to get Dthrow to Uair to be a true combo on Sheik even at 160% (sourspot) with the right timing in training mode. Of course there's no DI but it still works pretty well. Jump with a shoulder button while chasing DI with the control stick and pressing Up on the C-stick at the same time as the double jump. Similar to how Ike gets Dthrow to Uair KO on Sheik at around 85%.

I do...

I even read like all the rules and small print joining this forum. But mostly because I was bored lmao I'm such a nerd.

I know... sorry. I've just been bombarded with homework recently. The drawing assignments take too much time and energy to complete. I'm not very good at drawing (yet), which is why these things take like hours upon hours of non-stop drawing to finish. While my professor can finish half of the assignment in like an hour. But hey, I have a workaholic side to me (I mean, why else would I work through all my lunch hours/breaks at my ex-job. No really, I have no idea why I wanted to work ALL day), so it's all good. :p hopefully by the end of this week I'll have more free time

Homemade spaghetti sauce is the best. <3 For Thanksgiving, I made an alfredo & ham pasta bake, which was the second time I used the same recipe and it turned out even better than the first! I'm not that fond of turkey and I wanted to try something different for Thanksgiving I guess lol.

Yeah, it would definitely help if some OPs (like the stickied threads you mentioned) are updated. And others like the video thread should have archived videos. Doesn't have to be all that's posted, Roy guides and such are good too. And even tourney playlists are good if people are too lazy to edit in all the tourney matches in the OP.

Take a look at some other character boards. Sonic is a good example. Their video thread has various archived videos in the OP, which is good if, say, a newbie Sonic wants to quickly find a guide video. Player Finder thread has Sonic mains listed under their country. Again, quick & accessible information. And they have like cool or funny pictures in each OP lol. Nice little touch.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person, so I tend to stay away from Q&A threads. I'd much rather have someone know what they're talking about answer questions, than have false information spread. So, it's understandable if there's too many questions and not enough answers (Roy boards aren't the most popular anyway). But I'd like to help in any way I can as well. And it's totally fine giving your honest thoughts on this situation. It's good to have feedback so we could try to improve the boards.

I think it's important to get some OPs updated so they have information that's quick and easy to find. If the original poster is never around, I'd say find someone who could take over. But iirc, mods don't have the ability to change thread owners anymore? Might have to contact someone else in that case. And to update threads whose owners aren't around... might have to get mods to update the OP? Or if they're too lazy/busy to update things, we could always create the posts for them. For example, in the video thread I made a list of early Roy impression vids and guides (which could be added or not in the OP, whatever's good).

I think the problem with the forums is that lots of the threads are of people who no longer use Roy because they're from the time of when Roy was released.
There are a lot less people active on the forum now than there were in June.
Also, I'm not sure if the Roy mains in the Skype chat are active over here.

I finally buckled down and made a video showcasing what Roy can do in Smash 4.

Tons of solid highlights and character-specific strengths are featured, so I'm hoping this plays a role in developing Roy's metagame.

Please spread this around and tell me what you think. It wasn't as good as I thought it'd be, but I still like what I have, and it's merely a start.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

Revisiting this old, oldschool gem lately. I feel like not many Roy players have seen it.
Feel free to keep posting the old stuff, it'll be new to me lol.

Yeah, a lot of the stickied threads seem to have been made during that hype period, and are either owned by moderators that are really busy, or by people that have little interest in Roy now. In a few cases, I think it'd be worth it to have the unmaintained versions of the threads locked and unstickied, and have new versions of them created by people who're active. The main ones that might benefit from having the owners transferred (I'm not a mod, but I thought they could still do this? I've seen it happen in other parts of the boards at least lol) would be the Q&A thread, and the video thread. Like, for the player finder thread, that thread was made during the hype period, and even if we transferred the thread's OP to someone more active, how many of the names on that thread still use Roy now that the hype period is over? That's kinda why I think a reboot might be good for a few of them. Just my two cents, though.

I think the most important one to get rebooted would be the MU discussion thread. I particularly like what the Marth boards did (link), where they have a master directory thread that's stickied, and then each individual MU gets discussed in its own thread. That helps keep discussion for each MU organized, and people who peruse the boards later looking for info on a specific MU can find it more easily.

And, I'm glad you and dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 liked the comic, I thought it was pretty helpful too. There was a video I'd watched a while back, using Ryu and Marth to talk about pressure and reading shield options that was of a similar vein, but I can't for the life of me find it again now, or I'd share it here as well lol. >.< This is stuff I'm trying to focus on for improving my own gameplay, and I tend to keep track of all the fun little tidbits that come to me through various channels lol, so I enjoy sharing them.

Also also, that tourney playlist you posted a bit ago in the vid thread was good, thanks for posting that. Really enjoyed having all those matches collected in one place, made it much easier to go through.

I think the problem with the forums is that lots of the threads are of people who no longer use Roy because they're from the time of when Roy was released.
There are a lot less people active on the forum now than there were in June.
Also, I'm not sure if the Roy mains in the Skype chat are active over here.
Yeeeeeah, not many of the Skype Roys are active over here. >.o Smashboards has...hmm...kind of a...reputation, not to mention it's harder to do quick, burst communication here. The only ones I see posting in this thread and on skype are Pitzer and I, though I do see the others posting occasionally on other threads, mostly to report interesting stuff.

Also, we just made a Roy discord server. The group migration seems to be going smoothly, so if anyone wants a link (already sent one to LotadAlittle LotadAlittle ^_^), let me know and I'll pm the invite link. I'm going to let the skype group get resettled a bit before I edit the skype add thread here on smashboards to reflect the change, just to ensure the discord does indeed take off. I really hope it does, discord is such a great app for group chat communities.

Tons of solid highlights and character-specific strengths are featured, so I'm hoping this plays a role in developing Roy's metagame.

Please spread this around and tell me what you think. It wasn't as good as I thought it'd be, but I still like what I have, and it's merely a start.
Very nice. ^_^ I particularly like the music selection. ;) I'll share it around.

Yeah, a lot of the stickied threads seem to have been made during that hype period, and are either owned by moderators that are really busy, or by people that have little interest in Roy now. In a few cases, I think it'd be worth it to have the unmaintained versions of the threads locked and unstickied, and have new versions of them created by people who're active. The main ones that might benefit from having the owners transferred (I'm not a mod, but I thought they could still do this? I've seen it happen in other parts of the boards at least lol) would be the Q&A thread, and the video thread. Like, for the player finder thread, that thread was made during the hype period, and even if we transferred the thread's OP to someone more active, how many of the names on that thread still use Roy now that the hype period is over? That's kinda why I think a reboot might be good for a few of them. Just my two cents, though.

I think the most important one to get rebooted would be the MU discussion thread. I particularly like what the Marth boards did (link), where they have a master directory thread that's stickied, and then each individual MU gets discussed in its own thread. That helps keep discussion for each MU organized, and people who peruse the boards later looking for info on a specific MU can find it more easily.

And, I'm glad you and dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 liked the comic, I thought it was pretty helpful too. There was a video I'd watched a while back, using Ryu and Marth to talk about pressure and reading shield options that was of a similar vein, but I can't for the life of me find it again now, or I'd share it here as well lol. >.< This is stuff I'm trying to focus on for improving my own gameplay, and I tend to keep track of all the fun little tidbits that come to me through various channels lol, so I enjoy sharing them.

Also also, that tourney playlist you posted a bit ago in the vid thread was good, thanks for posting that. Really enjoyed having all those matches collected in one place, made it much easier to go through.

Yeeeeeah, not many of the Skype Roys are active over here. >.o Smashboards has...hmm...kind of a...reputation, not to mention it's harder to do quick, burst communication here. The only ones I see posting in this thread and on skype are Pitzer and I, though I do see the others posting occasionally on other threads, mostly to report interesting stuff.

Also, we just made a Roy discord server. The group migration seems to be going smoothly, so if anyone wants a link (already sent one to LotadAlittle LotadAlittle ^_^), let me know and I'll pm the invite link. I'm going to let the skype group get resettled a bit before I edit the skype add thread here on smashboards to reflect the change, just to ensure the discord does indeed take off. I really hope it does, discord is such a great app for group chat communities.

Very nice. ^_^ I particularly like the music selection. ;) I'll share it around.
This is what you're looking for:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Mods can't change ownership of threads/posts, only admins.
I'd love to help clean up the board, but since I'm not the moderator for this section, I can't do anything much. Also not many of the Smash 4 category mods play Roy any more, so the only way to get things done for now is to report junk so the higher mods see it.
The matchup and player finder threads definitely need restarting, in my opinion, not least because the person who started them never had much interest in Roy in the first place, from what I can tell (though he's known for not being able to stick to maining any one character for very long).

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

This is great! Shows good reads, combos and ledge options.

I'd appreciate a link to the Roy discord group!

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
I wanted to pop in to report back about the tournament. It went fine, a lot more casual than I expected (in every sense of the word). I got to the second round (the first guy I played was a bit clueless, but on the other hand my L/R buttons cut out halfway through the match so I'm reasonably proud of that win, hahah). I know what to work on next based on my loss... basically I forgot to practice on platformed stages, so I was thrown off by the lack of open space in Dreamland 64. Now that that's under my belt I'm excited to get better for next time.

Thank you guys for hearing me out and being encouraging! :)

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZZRsPm7QJM
This hurt me to watch when i first saw it. Dont know how to get thumbnail to appear so dont worry its not a bad link
It's just a bad MH ****post, I wouldn't pay it much mind.
To do that you click on the video looking thing between the mountain and the plus in a box on the interface, then pop in the link.

I wanted to pop in to report back about the tournament. It went fine, a lot more casual than I expected (in every sense of the word). I got to the second round (the first guy I played was a bit clueless, but on the other hand my L/R buttons cut out halfway through the match so I'm reasonably proud of that win, hahah). I know what to work on next based on my loss... basically I forgot to practice on platformed stages, so I was thrown off by the lack of open space in Dreamland 64. Now that that's under my belt I'm excited to get better for next time.

Oh hey, that looks like Kyusil's art! Hopefully I'm correct. My favorite palette, too.

Battlefield and Smashville are the best stages to practice on, in my opinion. How'd you place?

Are there any more pointers you're looking for, or anything else you feel you can cover before next time?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Noooot to offend anyone, but... I found quite many counters in it, rather than actual combo strings, or just Up+B against someone trying to recover under the stage.
Otherwise, a fine video.
And please, don't mistake my critism for telling you it's bad. I just try to point out something, so the creator has a way to find out on what he -could- improve.

Last edited:

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
Oh hey, that looks like Kyusil's art! Hopefully I'm correct. My favorite palette, too.

Battlefield and Smashville are the best stages to practice on, in my opinion. How'd you place?

Are there any more pointers you're looking for, or anything else you feel you can cover before next time?
Yeah that's me, hahah. I changed my 'net handle not too long ago. I actually made this icon specifically for SmashBoards since I didn't have anything else that looked good as an icon. It's from a series of Smash!Roy chibi drawings that I sketched but never cleaned up, so maybe I'll do that in the near future.

In terms of placing, I'm not entirely sure as I had to leave early (boo hiss). The brackets were done on a whiteboard and the TO was kind of playing the whole thing by ear (like the "losers' brackets" were just putting all the losers in an 8-player Smash at the end of every round, which I'm preeeeetty sure isn't standard protocol).

I'm still very unskilled, so I think the first order of business is just learning how to think ahead and use moves consciously. My opponent in the second match made a stark comeback, and I'm sure it's because that "feel, don't think" playstyle was making me very easy to read. I'm gonna try and play online with friends more often, maybe a bit of FG if it doesn't stress me out too much, hahah.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
This is what you're looking for:

Thank you! ^_^

I'd love to help clean up the board, but since I'm not the moderator for this section, I can't do anything much. Also not many of the Smash 4 category mods play Roy any more, so the only way to get things done for now is to report junk so the higher mods see it.
The matchup and player finder threads definitely need restarting, in my opinion, not least because the person who started them never had much interest in Roy in the first place, from what I can tell (though he's known for not being able to stick to maining any one character for very long).
Who should we talk to about getting the threads unstickied and locked? I'm willing to manage the player finder thread. I can also help with the MU thread, but I hesitate because there's lots of MUs I'm not confident in my ability to talk about, so I would guess a more experienced player should probably take over there. I can do the basic upkeep, like maintaining the OP, but I don't think I could drive the discussion by myself lol. Again, I think setting it up like the Marth boards did, with a directory and separate threads for each MU, would be best (relinking just because lol).

Thanks for updating us, and I hope you stay a while, if you'd like. :) Here is my favorite "Together we Ride" remix lol, partly because it also has some pokemon music in it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Nice, big improvement from the last montage you posted. Great stuff! And I find having an opening scene like that makes the video more engaging.

Yeah that's me, hahah. I changed my 'net handle not too long ago. I actually made this icon specifically for SmashBoards since I didn't have anything else that looked good as an icon. It's from a series of Smash!Roy chibi drawings that I sketched but never cleaned up, so maybe I'll do that in the near future.
No way... That's why the art style in your avatar looked so familiar, but I just couldn't quite remember the name ah ha (forgive meeee~). I've came across a lot of your artwork which I really love. I always fangirl when I see FE fanart... especially if it's from FE6. Especially if it's Roy. =P

Glad to hear the report on your tourney. Sounds like you genuinely had fun (and hopefully you did). And yeah, definitely practice with friends whenever you get the chance. Every bit of practice can help. I'm currently trying to learn Ryu and I needed a lot of time to get certain inputs down right. It's all about muscle memory, but for me I need to put aside at least an hour for practice regularly.

Times likes this make me wish mods could still change thread ownership. Figured we might have to contact an admin, I'll see what I can do about that.

Threads that should be restarted/updated:

- MU thread
- Player Finder
- Video thread
- Q&A?? (Well, maybe include the most important and general Roy questions)
Any more?

The person in charge of the MU thread doesn't necessarily need to be super knowledgeable, but someone that could manage and update the thread is probably fine. Since EnGarde EnGarde is willing to manage the player finder (and maybe MU thread?), I don't mind helping out in the other areas like the video thread and/or Q&A. But yeah, having the MU thread structured similarly to the Marth one might be a good idea. If there's a main directory thread it will be easy to find certain MU discussions since there would be a list of characters linking to their separate discussion thread.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I'd love to help aswell, if I am allowed to that is.
I would be able to log in daily, and update daily said threads, since I am on my pc frequently thanks to my work.

If something is generally disliked and still left unattended, I might aswell take it. I won't be able to contribute too often in some threads myself like the Video threat, but I surely can keep them organized and updated.

Edit: Also, a thing that goes for me is, that I am still Roy player, despite the hype ending since quite some time. :cool:

Last edited:
Noooot to offend anyone, but... I found quite many counters in it, rather than actual combo strings, or just Up+B against someone trying to recover under the stage.
Otherwise, a fine video.
And please, don't mistake my critism for telling you it's bad. I just try to point out something, so the creator has a way to find out on what he -could- improve.
There's some true combos featured, but a lot of it's landing traps/reads/strings (punishes on top of punishes) and some highlights which is why I call it "Combo/Gameplay" rather than a combo video. People got really mad in Brawl days if you labeled Brawl videos as "combo videos" so I add highlight/gameplay/etc. to circumvent that. I'm wondering if I need to put combo in at all.

Based the title off this video:

Should I name it differently next time? Should I take combo out and call them Gameplay/Highlight videos? I'd like to if it can improve it. Thank you on catching that.

In terms of placing, I'm not entirely sure as I had to leave early (boo hiss). The brackets were done on a whiteboard and the TO was kind of playing the whole thing by ear (like the "losers' brackets" were just putting all the losers in an 8-player Smash at the end of every round, which I'm preeeeetty sure isn't standard protocol).

I'm still very unskilled, so I think the first order of business is just learning how to think ahead and use moves consciously. My opponent in the second match made a stark comeback, and I'm sure it's because that "feel, don't think" playstyle was making me very easy to read. I'm gonna try and play online with friends more often, maybe a bit of FG if it doesn't stress me out too much, hahah.
Nice, try focusing solely on your opponent and act according to what they're doing. Watch their character rather than yours. It'll keep you from entering autopilot.

It's mentioned here, along with some other tips.

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
An updated Roy True combo/Kill setup Thread would be nice, IIRC there is a combo thread but it was made on day 1 so it's probably filled with combos that are most likely considered obsolete, it will also prevent anymore combo/setup threads since the Roy boards are full of those lol.

The Roy tournament result thread could be stickied or remade, the Metagame Thread as well to avoid any threads asking "what to with Roy in X situation". I also agree with making the MU threads similar to the Marth boards.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Ganon's grab sucks, I'm good enough vs. Ganon to go sets w/o being grabbed once. Think of him as a physically-impaired IC's where one grew old and the other died. Roy can tech chase him from 0 to death, and his grab's much better. Chaingrabs are overrated, reaction-based tech chasing is Melee's future. Gotta experiment with the MU more, it might be inexperience or approaching it wrong that's making it hard. Falcon is easy to tech chase, Ganon's even easier, and 20XX pack is a godsend for practicing tech chases since the CPU are made to be immaculate at mixing up tech options there. You can trap Ganon into a grab and grab him much easier than he can try to grab you, and you get just as much mileage if you refine tech chasing. Ganon is a free win for Roy once you learn the MU, don't even need good tech chasing to beat him pretty much everywhere but it's a bonus.
I dont have any problems with any character in melee as Roy. Even vs Sheik or Samus I just play vs the player not the character.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
EDIT: don't mind me, I make jokes, but then don't have the constitution to actually leave them up for long. Here, have a picture of spoopy Roy instead.

I'm not cool enough to draw this, just photoshopped in the ghosts because halloween.
Spoopy Roy.png

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
EDIT: don't mind me, I make jokes, but then don't have the constitution to actually leave them up for long. Here, have a picture of spoopy Roy instead.

I'm not cool enough to draw this, just photoshopped in the ghosts because halloween.
View attachment 80680
OMG that's some nightmare fuel right there... :nervous:

Seriously though, the scariest thing happened to me last night. I was on the Roy boards around 3AM and I checked the social thread for new posts. Read the new posts and left, but then I accidentally clicked on the back arrow. Instead of being brought to the same page, I was brought to page 237. WHICH DOESN'T EXIST BUT I WAS ON IT ANYWAY. And there was only one post by a user under the name "Guest", and showed no information on post under the name either. The only thing in the user's post was this gif that made me **** bricks:

Spoopy scary skeleton Roy

But the weird this is, my laptop froze and randomly restarted soon after (good thing I saved the gif, hopefully I'm not cursed or anything). When I returned to the Roy social, everything was back to normal. No page 237. No weird Guest user. I wonder what this all means...

Anyway, I should totally find or make some Halloween themed stuff. Also thinking about buying a costume since I usually hand out the candy, but I like dressing up for the trick-or-treaters.

I dont have any problems with any character in melee as Roy. Even vs Sheik or Samus I just play vs the player not the character.
That's cause Ganon and Samus are free smfh

Teach me how to play the player instead on Sheik, all I know how to do is unplug/mess with their controller and make their z button not work (taking away 75% of sheik's gameplan) and I need more gimmicks

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Oh, you guys might've opened up the floodgates. ^_^

OMG that's some nightmare fuel right there... :nervous:

Seriously though, the scariest thing happened to me last night. I was on the Roy boards around 3AM and I checked the social thread for new posts. Read the new posts and left, but then I accidentally clicked on the back arrow. Instead of being brought to the same page, I was brought to page 237. WHICH DOESN'T EXIST BUT I WAS ON IT ANYWAY. And there was only one post by a user under the name "Guest", and showed no information on post under the name either. The only thing in the user's post was this gif that made me **** bricks:

Spoopy scary skeleton Roy

But the weird this is, my laptop froze and randomly restarted soon after (good thing I saved the gif, hopefully I'm not cursed or anything). When I returned to the Roy social, everything was back to normal. No page 237. No weird Guest user. I wonder what this all means...

Anyway, I should totally find or make some Halloween themed stuff. Also thinking about buying a costume since I usually hand out the candy, but I like dressing up for the trick-or-treaters.
Oh no! After clicking the spoiler tag, a ghost has apparently taken over control of my laptop, and is adding spoiler tags to my posts! Whatever you do, don't click the spoiler, or your laptop might end up haunted as well!

Bwah ha ha, moar spoopy scary skeletons 4 u!

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
That's cause Ganon and Samus are free smfh

Teach me how to play the player instead on Sheik, all I know how to do is unplug/mess with their controller and make their z button not work (taking away 75% of sheik's gameplan) and I need more gimmicks
Vs sheik is how long can you survive :^)

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Hi guys! Haven't posted in a while... What's up?

So I'm not sure how many of you are FE fans, but IS is planning on releasing a book titled: The Making of Fire Emblem and the title is self-explanatory. It's a book going over FE's history and origins, I think. It's being done for the 25th anniversary.

The front cover looks pretty cool. It looks like this:

I'm really shocked that they didn't go for something Awakening/Fates related for the cover. I'm even more shocked that they put Sigurd and Eliwood. Like, I thought they forgot about those two. Needless to say, I'm kinda hyped, haha.

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie

So I'm not sure how many of you are FE fans, but IS is planning on releasing a book titled: The Making of Fire Emblem and the title is self-explanatory. It's a book going over FE's history and origins, I think. It's being done for the 25th anniversary.

I'm really shocked that they didn't go for something Awakening/Fates related for the cover. I'm even more shocked that they put Sigurd and Eliwood. Like, I thought they forgot about those two. Needless to say, I'm kinda hyped, haha.
Wow, that is unexpected. Best I can say is Eliwood and Sigurd could represent the best- and worst-case scenarios of being a dad in FE? P: I really want a full version of that Eliwood art though....

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Wow, that is unexpected. Best I can say is Eliwood and Sigurd could represent the best- and worst-case scenarios of being a dad in FE? P: I really want a full version of that Eliwood art though....
Ikr? That drawing of Eliwood is sick. Perhaps they will have the finished illustration in the book.

My theory is that they added Eliwood because FE7 is pretty important to FE's history; it was the first game to be released internationally. Can't really say why they added Siggy though. From what I've heard, FE4 was the best selling FE in Japan before Awakening came along, if I'm not mistaken.

It's kinda funny how much the two lords have in common; they're both fathers of protagonists, they both become protagonists, they both are Knight Lords, and they both have a relationship with a girl who has mysterious powers (if you consider Ninian to be Eliwood's canon wife) Wouldn't be surprised if Eliwood was supposed to be some sort of spiritual successor to Sigurd, especially since his games were made after Kaga left. It could also just be a coincidence, though haha. Unless they outright say it, we can never know for sure.

Troykv

Smash Master

Wait... Seriously? That is the cover art? I don't see any Chrom/Lucina/Kamui here... This is weird.

In other conditions would be logic (the most succesful game in Japan and the best seller in West)... But Awakening already take both things.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

The first time I saw that cover I think I screamed. I couldn't tell you honestly though, my mind was clouded by its AWESOMENESS. I really hope the book gets a western release. If not, I wonder how long people are going to be able to wait for translations before going insane.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz

Dammit Japan, you have to get all the cool stuff...

Anyway, I was playing some more fe 8 today (because it's portable), and... why the **** does Eirika have 5 attack... at level 11... She has an attack growth rate of 40%, yet it's gone up by 1 in 10 levels... I'm nearly as unlucky as Joshua.

Edit: I just got 9 notifications. every single one was " @GunBlaze has liked your post.", also this was a post from a month ago. @GunBlaze , did you go back and like then unlike my post from a month ago 9 times, or was this just a glitch on smashboards?

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Cover of the FE history book just got updated:

There's still room for more. I'm guessing someone from Awakening (Chrom, Lucina, maybe Robin) or Fates might be the one to fill the void. I hope we'll see some nice art on the back cover as well!

Troykv

Smash Master

There's still room for more. I'm guessing someone from Awakening (Chrom, Lucina, maybe Robin) or Fates might be the one to fill the void. I hope we'll see some nice art on the back cover as well!
Ike is a more expected addition in the cover art because his popularity, but still I like it...

I was expecting only see Marth and Chrom/Lucina in the cover ary

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I know you guys may not care but yesterday i did a KH2FM speedrun and it was first real run and i got a PB of 5:08:19 in Beginner Any%. WR for that category is 3:38:42. Sure it was a first run and i have a lot to work on but hey its still an accomplishment. That is really all i got for now. Also Roy in Smash4 has been increasingly more fun the more i play around with him.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I know you guys may not care but yesterday i did a KH2FM speedrun and it was first real run and i got a PB of 5:08:19 in Beginner Any%. WR for that category is 3:38:42. Sure it was a first run and i have a lot to work on but hey its still an accomplishment. That is really all i got for now. Also Roy in Smash4 has been increasingly more fun the more i play around with him.
Congrats! That's pretty cool. :) I'm sure once you get more experienced at it, you'll only go up from here.

D

Deleted member

It looks really cool! Needs some Ephraim though. D:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Congrats! That's pretty cool. :) I'm sure once you get more experienced at it, you'll only go up from here.

Yeah thanks. I just need to go and make console saves to practice strats so i can do them consistently. I hope to improve a lot since i enjoy that game a lot. Too bad i dont have the PS2 version though. Even if i did i would have to relearn where everything is since the text is in JP. But i will have to deal with 2.5 ReMix for now.
Edit- I dont even have the money to buy a JP ps2 and 2FM for it. I had to play on emulator which unfortunately does not count even if you get a good time since it is inconsistent and i used and english patch but still was fun.

Last edited:

IS has taste again. This is good news. Ordering solely for that cover, everything else is a bonus. I'm guessing when making the art book, they saw that they made games other than just FE11/13 and suddenly remembered a lot. Hopefully this means good things coming.

Ikr? That drawing of Eliwood is sick. Perhaps they will have the finished illustration in the book.

My theory is that they added Eliwood because FE7 is pretty important to FE's history; it was the first game to be released internationally. Can't really say why they added Siggy though. From what I've heard, FE4 was the best selling FE in Japan before Awakening came along, if I'm not mistaken.

It's kinda funny how much the two lords have in common; they're both fathers of protagonists, they both become protagonists, they both are Knight Lords, and they both have a relationship with a girl who has mysterious powers (if you consider Ninian to be Eliwood's canon wife) Wouldn't be surprised if Eliwood was supposed to be some sort of spiritual successor to Sigurd, especially since his games were made after Kaga left. It could also just be a coincidence, though haha. Unless they outright say it, we can never know for sure.
I did a lot of research on sales, general fan reaction, polls, and reviews when justifying Roy for Smash 4, and from that:
  • FE7 sold incredibly well both in Japan and internationally. It was a risky first step in introducing Fire Emblem to international audiences, and some emphasis on helping international fans identify with Eliwood was made in 7 with Roy's introduction in Melee and Marth/Roy's similarities to him.
  • FE4 was one of the best-selling Fire Emblems. While it always was trumped by fellow SNES release New Mystery Emblem in sales, Intelligent Systems claimed FE4 was their best Fire Emblem title by far. It took huge steps in design and was an incredibly accomplished title compared to the first three games. It introduced a lot of quality to the series and advancement of the basics that made Fire Emblem truly stand out, and it's a nostalgic favorite pick for many fans of the series. It may be the most praised Fire Emblem by classic fans.

Jugdral and Elibe are some of the most rich and staple continents of the series, naturally excellent picks for the cover of an art book alongside Archanea. Eliwood and Sigurd are the best candidates to represent those two, and they have legacies beyond first glance. Both of them have sons who lead successful revolutions against impossible odds in stories that expand beyond their own after their time, both of them have palettes in Smash (Eliwood on Roy, Sigurd on Ike; in a way, Marth/Roy/Ike are on the cover; edit: oh hey Ike's on now), and both of them are the main characters of some of the most risky yet successful titles. They expand into much more than most will give them credit for. True Fire Emblem fans who are willing to throw in 3500 yen and up to around 800 in shipping will easily recognize and admire these characters and their inclusion at first glance.

This is a Japanese art book with no word on a translated/international release, and we can't forget that FE4 is a much bigger piece of Japan's history of the series than ours.

Vs sheik is how long can you survive :^)
Truuuu, Sheik can't do anything if you get out of her easier kill range. Then she has to fish for fairs/dsmash rather than just fish for down throw, and becomes Roy without a sword.

Getting lucky with your own dsmash too also helps a lot.

Wait... Seriously? That is the cover art? I don't see any Chrom/Lucina/Kamui here... This is weird.

In other conditions would be logic (the most succesful game in Japan and the best seller in West)... But Awakening already take both things.
Chrom and Lucina aren't necessarily large pieces of the history of the series compared to what we have so far, neither is Awakening. Ylisse is simply a one game deal that rides off Archanea's legacy in the far future, we'd more likely see Chrom/Lucina already if Awakening had a sequel (and thank god it doesn't) or significant generation split like Genealogy of the Holy War. Their popularity is easy to milk, that's all they have going for them. Kamui is even less significant than them. A game can sell and do well, but Marth/Eliwood/Sigurd/Ike are much more important heroes who hail from continents with rich lore and multiple games that have shaped the history of the series itself during its golden era. I hate the idea people spread around where Awakening and whatever other new FE stuff should be the definitive heads of the series when they have yet to prove themselves. Sales, being new, and popularity only matter if they act alongside other things that matter for the history of the series.

Marth/Ike/Chrom-only slapped on anything big for FE is Smash 4 pre-release speculation all over again, and I hated those times.

Awakening may have introduced many to Fire Emblem while selling well, but it failed to tie-in with a later title, it alienated and caused concern for many classic fans of the series, and the excuse "Awakening saved the series" fails to sell me when the series has been "saved" multiple times, Jugdral and Elibe being two good examples of this.

I can see a modern lord on the cover coming, but people are giving that sort of thing way too much credit, and a modern lord plus Marth+Ike robbing the cover of several of Fire Emblem's greatest heroes hopefully disgusts whoever's making the artbook as much as it disgusts me.

Nothing personal meant, I just don't see them screwing up like this and appealing to Fire Emblem's lowest common denominator (smash+awakening only) on a 25th anniversary book that's roughly 40 big ones that only dedicated fans will buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom