• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Just watched gameplay footage featuring Roy.

Roy seems like a legitimately fun character and has enough tools to make him separate than just a simple Marth clone. As a Marth main, I embrace Roy with open arms and I can't wait to try him out.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Marth or Lucina can't SH Double Fair in Smash 4.
Uh im positve you can. o.o" You can SH jump>fair>SH jump again >Fair without touching the ground.
I may have written it alittle odd in my last post xD

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I wonder if i still can be able to SH fair twice in air like Marths too.
I may have written it a little oddly in my last post xD
Yep :laugh: Definitely not the same thing. Short Hop Double F-air is inputting two F-airs in one shorthop. That can only be done in Melee/PM/Brawl with Marth. From what I could watch in the video it seems that the animation lasts for quite a bit and he falls rather fast. In other words, it might be that he can't auto-cancel his F-air.

Last edited:

Tazor

Smash Rookie
his model looks like a combination of his melee incarnation and his artwork from fire emblem awakening

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yep :laugh: Definitely not the same thing. Short Hop Double F-air is inputting two F-airs in one shorthop. That can only be done in Melee/PM/Brawl with Marth. From what I could watch in the video it seems that the animation lasts for quite a bit and he falls rather fast. In other words, it might be that he can't auto-cancel his F-air.
Roy could never SH double fair in Melee either. You wouldn't really want to either. Roy in Melee was more of a air-to ground or ground to ground fighter. He was pretty much terrible in air-to-air situations. The only time you would do that on purpose really is with dtilt/fair/etc into Flare Blade to send them off stage. His aerials looked to be a lot less laggy than Marth's on landing, which I can't confirm right now, but I think He'll be able to do a lot of the cool stuff he could in melee. His dash startup seems good. He can probably do Smash 4 dash dancing pretty well.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Roy could never SH double fair in Melee either. You wouldn't really want to either. Roy in Melee was more of a air-to ground or ground to ground fighter. He was pretty much terrible in air-to-air situations. The only time you would do that on purpose really is with dtilt/fair/etc into Flare Blade to send them off stage. His aerials looked to be a lot less laggy than Marth's on landing, which I can't confirm right now, but I think He'll be able to do a lot of the cool stuff he could in melee. His dash startup seems good. He can probably do Smash 4 dash dancing pretty well.
Well, since this is a social thread, I guess I could go a LITTLE off-topic.

Are there any possible chances of patches? I'm perfectly content if there aren't any, and I genuinely believe the Smash (4) community as a whole should stop relying on patches in-order to get better results at a game, but I just want to know because with the mentioning of Roy having less landing lag than Marth (which wasn't the case in Melee iirc) I wonder if maybe Marth will be getting some patches as well? :p

Either way you won't hear any complaining from me about the results, so don't worry if the answer is no.

Last edited:

Tazor

Smash Rookie
One thing about Roy's ariels though was you could SHFFL with his fair, his short hop was much lower than Marth's so this was a legit approach, despite his ariel game being terrible for the most part

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
...but I just want to know because with the mentioning of Roy having less landing lag than Marth (which wasn't the case in Melee iirc) I wonder if maybe Marth will be getting some patches as well? :p
Please god.

PLEASE GOD.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well, since this is a social thread, I guess I could go a LITTLE off-topic.

Are there any possible chances of patches? I'm perfectly content if there aren't any, and I genuinely believe the Smash (4) community as a whole should stop relying on patches in-order to get better results at a game, but I just want to know because with the mentioning of Roy having less landing lag than Marth (which wasn't the case in Melee iirc) I wonder if maybe Marth will be getting some patches as well? :p

Either way you won't hear any complaining from me about the results, so don't worry if the answer is no.
Hey that's actually a good point. I really hope so. Though I won't be mad if Marth remains being low tier and Roy gets to be high tier lol. All those years of belittlement finally coming back full circle
Jokes pls

One thing about Roy's ariels though was you could SHFFL with his fair, his short hop was much lower than Marth's so this was a legit approach, despite his ariel game being terrible for the most part
I wouldn't actually say it was a legit approach lol. It was still very very punishable. The advantage of his shffl aerials was that you could combo them pretty well once you got going. Especially on fast fallers like Falcon or spacies. Dtilt --> fair ---> dtilt ---> fair... Fun stuff. Then you could mix it up into different things and end in fsmash or flare blade; Roy is fun stuff.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
There was a problem fetching the tweet

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I Almost don't want that since Marth's is "shield Breaker".
Considering the only time you will viably pull off a full Flare Blade is either an edge guard, on a complete idiot or after a shield break or in a team match I'd love to be able to get a viable move to break shields as Roy so we can maximize our toolkit.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
im so happy

i changed my main to show off my excitement

edit: [it was :4roy: because memes]

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Forget Zero. He doesn't know about Roy lol. All those observations could be made by any novice. It'll be the Roy Boys who used him in Melee that will know what works at the basic level.

Tazor

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I watched the twitch stream just now, I might be wrong but it looks like a lot of Roy's moves are fast... some even seem faster than Marth's. For example his up-tilt looks way faster than Marth's, so does his fair. I hope that this speed compensates for the fact that he can't make as much use of his range as marth can.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
And Roy still doesn't have his sheath in-game like Marth, Lucina, Link, and Toon Link, but whatever.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
And Roy still doesn't have his sheath in-game like Marth, Lucina, Link, and Toon Link, but whatever.
Actually, it shows up in his Final Smash. Maybe it'll be updated in the final patch???

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Actually, it shows up in his Final Smash. Maybe it'll be updated in the final patch???
Well, I meant as having a sheath always. Kind of weird since the way his sheath is fixed, it shouldn't wobble around and cause issues, but since it's fixed like that, I think they're trying to stop clipping issues which then again might not matter as much while you're fighting, I mean, Fox and Falco's Reflectors, Marth, Lucina, Link, and Toon Link's, and a bunch of other stuff clip, but nobody really complains since clipping is something that people haven't really solved yet and is sort of trivial.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Huh, you're right. Then it disappears. 2spooky4me

I guess it's possible it could be updated in.

Troykv

Smash Master
Looks interesting the moveset... I like the Final Smash :3

:4feroy:'s Our Boy!

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I think I'll use :4feroy: a lot. He looks fun and I love his design.
I never played his game though oops.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
Roy sheathes his sword in the bodies of his enemies. Same with Ike.

Last edited:

Dudde

Smash Rookie
NNID
raddudde
3DS FC
1075-1056-9554
Hello fellow Roy Boyz! Thought this would be a good chance to introduce myself on Smashboards for the 1st time since I'm new to the community.

Im a Charizard :006: main thats been holding out hope that Roy would make it into Smash 4 ever since DLC was implemented, so I plan on having a dual-main/close secondary situation with our beloved fire blade wielder. Thanks for having me guys, good luck mainting your hype!

:roymelee::roypm::4feroy:

Xeynid

Smash Cadet
"Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer" - The legend of the Lightbringer, a song of ice and fire.

People make the best sheathes, especially for fire swords.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Guys they just found the full body version of Roy's artwork!
Actually, that's just the portion of the render we've seen slapped onto the legs of his trophy
See there?
Yuckie.
I'ma wait for his actual render :b

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hello fellow Roy Boyz! Thought this would be a good chance to introduce myself on Smashboards for the 1st time since I'm new to the community.

Im a Charizard :006: main thats been holding out hope that Roy would make it into Smash 4 ever since DLC was implemented, so I plan on having a dual-main/close secondary situation with our beloved fire blade wielder. Thanks for having me guys, good luck mainting your hype!

Welcome to the Lycia Alliance! Enjoy your stay!

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558

Welcome brother! May we grow stronger, together!

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice
has anyone seen those new animations, especially the ones where he holds his sword upside down? his blazer is literally sol badguy!

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice
shhh you're not alone Burgundy LOL

Though I've never played it, I'd really like to. How good would you guys say Binding Blade is compared to other Fire Emblems?
unfortunately, fe6 is notorious because roy is a terrible unit. he doesn't have good stat growths and he doesn't promote until the last 4 chapters of the game. even then, the sword of seals only has 20 uses!

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457

Welcome to Smashboards! Instead of 2 zards in your main section Roy is now available to select, as proven on my main section.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
shhh you're not alone Burgundy LOL

Though I've never played it, I'd really like to. How good would you guys say Binding Blade is compared to other Fire Emblems?
Binding Blade is good still, despite Roy xD Its a great challenge.

But Shadow Dragon exists so why bother with finding that game haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom