• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'll be a lot more active here after the trailer is shown tomorrow.

Also, i'm really glad a lot of elements of Roy's Awakening attire made it in to the game even if the full design didn't make it in to the game.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
It's kinda nice to see all of these new Roy players pop-up out of the blue. But at the same time I feel like a lot of you don't feel the struggles of plying melee Roy at a tourney level. Maybe i'm just acting like a hipster because I was playing Roy before it was cool but IDK.

Just hyped that my boy is back

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've been playing Roy since I got Melee when I was 8 years old (in the year 2003). I just don't go to tournaments in general.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Idk what playing Roy in Melee at a tournament level would have anything to do with the new players. So what if they didn't use him in Melee? Also, some of us do happen to know the struggles of maining a bad character and using them at a tournament level coughmainingZeldaineverygameandsecondaryingRoyinMelee sooo...yeah. I think we should be accepting and welcoming to new people

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
My lord, I paid some attention to the splash art and it made me realize something that makes it even more cool.

Roy freaking matured in this game. He's become from a boy (Melee/FE6) to a real man ready to do business. It's so cool to see Roy looking so adult like and his epic outfit is doing some favors as well. :3

ROY'S OUR MAN.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's kinda nice to see all of these new Roy players pop-up out of the blue. But at the same time I feel like a lot of you don't feel the struggles of plying melee Roy at a tourney level. Maybe i'm just acting like a hipster because I was playing Roy before it was cool but IDK.

I dunno if you'd call my Roy "tournament level" but I have competed with him and done fairly badly. He's still my main though and I think he's a fun character to play. But I don't blame people who dropped him haha. The way I see it is that I'll never be a top placer in Melee so I might as well just play the characters I like.

I think things look different this time around. Not getting chain grabbed and juggled nonstop will certainly work hugely in his favor for sure, those were always his biggest issues outside ineffectual sourspots (which seem way better now).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know what would make this even better?

FE6 getting released on the VC and Binding Blade getting a sequel on the Wii U! Roy getting an appearance in Codename S.T.E.A.M and FE14 would be even more great!

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Back from Target, they didn't have any $20 cards so I bought a $30 one (a bundle of 3 $10s) and forgot about the amiibo.
Roy looks really fast and has a really nice short hop, I could see great things done with this bo-
"That's Barnacleboy, I mean, man!"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It seems like Roy grew up alot over the years. About time, now people can stop calling him and Pit brothers.

Prynne

Smash Apprentice
Thank god for Roy. Now I can safely use a fire attack without suffering 4 years of end lag. As a lowly Zelda main, it may seem unlikely for me to want Roy, but he was my choice for the Smash Ballot, and now that he's all but been released, I am so very, very...

very happy.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

But seriously... our Boy is back and not a Reptile.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
You know what would make this even better?

FE6 getting released on the VC and Binding Blade getting a sequel on the Wii U! Roy getting an appearance in Codename S.T.E.A.M and FE14 would be even more great!
Well since Roy is basically confirmed to be getting an Amiibo now, he's almost certainly going to have an appearance in FE If.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
What do you guys think is the likeliness of Roy and Ryu being released tomorrow? They're finished, and they're already in the update, so I say a 60% chance. Some say Ryu will be announced at the Nintendo World Championships but that seems redundant because the Smash Mini Direct is on the same day.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Less likely now that they are leak. This is our punishment. We should have been patienced and waited as intended. I wonder how pissed off Sakurai is. Just one day my boys. Just one single day.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
What do you guys think is the likeliness of Roy and Ryu being released tomorrow? They're finished, and they're already in the update, so I say a 60% chance. Some say Ryu will be announced at the Nintendo World Championships but that seems redundant because the Smash Mini Direct is on the same day.
76%
The codes needed to play Roy and Ryu are done. Why not realses them tomorrow?
This will be the threads theme song.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's a good question. I would like to remind everyone that just because these characters are in the patch doesn't mean that they're necessarily "done" yet though. There may be issues that aren't readily apparent, or they're still doing QA testing and balancing etc. Developers often send out data in patches early to make the actual release of that content go a little more smoothly. Just saying, keep expectations in check.

Now, that being said, I would say your 60% figure is probably what I would say too. The characters do appear to be done. At the very least they are extremely close. I might even say that it's closer to 65 or 70. I'll be a tad sad if they don't come out tomorrow but I wouldn't exactly be shocked.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Less likely now that they are leak. This is our punishment. We should have been patienced and waited as intended. I wonder how pissed off Sakurai is. Just one day my boys. Just one single day.
It's fundamentally nintendo fault though, didn't they accidentally release the update early in Japan?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's fundamentally nintendo fault though, didn't they accidentally release the update early in Japan?
Yes and sadly someone probably lost their job for this.

I wouldn't say that. Nintendo's probably a little bit miffed about it, but they have also mentioned other leaks in a light hearted joking manner during the actual reveals. Plus, they still have the reveal trailers and tons of other things to talk about so it's not like they lost views or something. In fact they probably will have gained views from the leak.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I was kidding around but you are correct! It was Nintendo's fault but who went in and Data Mine the patch, post the files and play the characters on stream. The community. Don't get me wrong. I am extremely grateful for this and will want it again and again. But stop and imagine the Hype, the Surprise, the Suspense if it happen tomorrow instead of today?

Sakurai loves to surprise his community. Remember the WFT trailer, the Chrom switchroo, or Etika's reaction to Mewtwo was posted on Sakurai's twitter. We don't call him the Ruse man for nothing. He takes kick out rusing his audience.

I doubt this leak will make a difference if they come out tomorrow or not. However, they were playable compared to the Mewtwo patch which tells me a lot of things.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
inb4 Sakurai intentionally leaked out Ryu and Roy just to announce tomorrow that they actually aren't playable, and the whole thing was a shrewd, cruel joke to get back at us for the ESRB leaks.

Needless to say I am a pessimist. :seuss:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I was kidding around but you are correct! It was Nintendo's fault but who went in and Data Mine the patch, post the files and play the characters on stream. The community. Don't get me wrong. I am extremely grateful for this and will want it again and again. But stop and imagine the Hype, the Surprise, the Suspense if it happen tomorrow instead of today?

Sakurai loves to surprise his community. Remember the WFT trailer, the Chrom switchroo, or Etika's reaction to Mewtwo was posted on Sakurai's twitter. We don't call him the Ruse man for nothing. He takes kick out rusing his audience.

I doubt this leak will make a difference if they come out tomorrow or not. However, they were playable compared to the Mewtwo patch which tells me a lot of things.
Sorry, the joke flew over my head ;P. Don't get me wrong, I was very disappointing when I found out about the leaks. I was 70% sure they were going to make it, but it still would have been hype if it was announced tomorrow. If anything I feel bad for Sakurai, the surprise they worked hard to make was spoiled by the carelessness of one person (because lets face it, chances are that they've been working on these characters for a while).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I still can't get over how Roy reverse grips a lot of moves. It just seems kinda unique and cool.

I wouldn't say that. Nintendo's probably a little bit miffed about it, but they have also mentioned other leaks in a light hearted joking manner during the actual reveals. Plus, they still have the reveal trailers and tons of other things to talk about so it's not like they lost views or something. In fact they probably will have gained views from the leak.
Yeah, basically everything that got leaked gained a lot of free publicity, which probably made more people interested to check out the Smash direct. The surprise is gone for a lot of people, which does suck but with the sound file leaks, we were bracing ourselves whether or not Roy and Ryu will become a reality for a while. Most people are still going to watch the direct anyway, and I'm sure they'll be some interesting info revealed as well.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I still can't get over how Roy reverse grips a lot of moves. It just seems kinda unique and cool.
Yeah i feel the same xD That goes for alot of his moves. They look well animated and dramatic, leading to just looking downright cool and 'impacting'. ggs to whoever the animators and animation director were ^_^

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Greetings, Roy mainers, and congratulations. Welcome to the 'We Just Got Our Old Main Back After 14 Years Club'! We have jackets.

Anywho, while I never played Roy on a serious level in Melee, the fact that he's been Luigified, along with his sweet new design and colors has convinced me to give him a shot at secondary this time around, at least until Wolf returns.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The time for Australia's Smash Direct is 00:40 AM. Hopefully by the time I wake up at 6:15 to get ready for our school's sporting carnival, Royu and Lucas will be ready and I'll download them all as a pack! (Sorry, credit card)

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Anyone up for some Dolphin Roy dittos right now lol?

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Luigified and new design!? Sign me up, what I'am most is excited for is all FE battles, my brothers and cousin each use Marth, Robin, Ike I didn't have a FE character to click with, sides Roy. Can't wait to do teams, Blues versus Red & White.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah i feel the same xD That goes for alot of his moves. They look well animated and dramatic, leading to just looking downright cool and 'impacting'. ggs to whoever the animators and animation director were ^_^
Roy has some new slick animations... even for the idle poses! Speaking of which, I can't wait to see his victory poses. And his Final Smash is just sexy. In fact, in terms Final Smashes visual wise, Roy, Ryu (close range), and Mewtwo are among some of my fave. What's with DLC characters having awesome Final Smashes? I just wish Lucas' is a bit different though. Oh well, I'm really not one to complain in the end. Still hyped as ever!

Top Bottom