• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Troykv

Smash Master
I thought all the characters were weak in PR. Soth only had like 1 knife.

:link:
Yes, Path of Radiance has more weak characters.

Oh... this remember me a thing that I though about Radiant Dawn and Awakening: This games are pretty much the oppositive when you are using the characters. Radiant Dawn usually will need that you change some characters (specially with the Part's thing), in the other side Awakening makes you always use the same little group (don't care to much who, just use the same characters and pairings, the S-Support combined with the Pair-Up make them OP).

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Well... Radiant Dawn is probably the first game that has many overpowered characters, but also this characters exists in other games, like Sacred Stones with Seth.
I think the Radiance games were alright. Since from a story standpoint there was still crap going on. Come Awakening the story is on laser guided tunnel vision.

Although with Radiance I do see some of the units being stupid OP and can probably carry you if you build them right.

Ike, Haar, Tibarn.
Holy weapons *CCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH*
I thought all the characters were weak in PR. Soth only had like 1 knife.

:link:
PoR only have like 3 knives
knives are just kinda bad weapons in general
Yes, Path of Radiance has more weak characters.

Oh... this remember me a thing that I though about Radiant Dawn and Awakening: This games are pretty much the oppositive when you are using the characters. Radiant Dawn usually will need that you change some characters (specially with the Part's thing), in the other side Awakening makes you always use the same little group (don't care to much who, just use the same characters and pairings, the S-Support combined with the Pair-Up make them OP).
I think my biggest gripes with RD was jumping from group to group.
Like Elincia's group, ugh

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Well... Radiant Dawn is probably the first game that has many overpowered characters, but also this characters exists in other games, like Sacred Stones with Seth.
In FE8 Seth is quite easily the worst character, at the beginning of the game, sure, he's extremely overpowered, but around mid/late game he's just awful compared to all of your other units who've had many more level ups and by far superior stats.
Also, in Awakening, just about every character can be op, especially the kids.

Troykv

Smash Master
In FE8 Seth is quite easily the worst character, at the beginning of the game, sure, he's extremely overpowered, but around mid/late game he's just awful compared to all of your other units who've had many more level ups and by far superior stats.
Seth? The worst character? Seth in 10-20/20 compared with other characters in the same levels (something that only happens in the two last chapters and the Post-Game) is inferior... But unlike them, Seth is ALWAYS strong, unlike the usual "Jeigan" (even Frederick suffers be outclased) and you can perfectly use him in the complete game.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
What FE were you playing,
cause unless it looks like this
tumblr_n752vcArtm1qdxnezo1_540.jpg

you were playing the wrong game

Seth(FE8) Sigurd(FE4) and Ike(FE9) are probably my candidates for best FE unit

Troykv

Smash Master
What FE were you playing,
cause unless it looks like this
View attachment 72665
you were playing the wrong game

Seth(FE8) Sigurd(FE4) and Ike(FE9) are probably my candidates for best FE unit
Seth (FE8), Sigurd and Robin (FE13) are my candidates xD

But Sigurd is the best because has all the things that makes good Seth... with even better growths (but Resistence), a legendary weapon that makes him practically invincible against the magic and the "Lord" Status.

Last edited:
Alm is easily the most powerful unit in the series. People forget him easily. Definitely better than Sigurd, Seth, Robin, Kris, and leagues better than Ike. Bolt sword for the first half of the game and holy bow for the second just 100-0's the game.

It's okay to hate Awakening. Despite it's popularity mostly stemming from waifu pairings, it was a poor entry I.E. horrible.

No longer is it about warring countries in a mature manner, it's more a 2nd rate bad anime now. Fates probably won't be much better.

Also no feet because too much work.

The quality of Fire Emblem seemed to diminish after the last GBA game.

Especially when it comes to mugshots of the characters, the great sprites having more artistic value then the models have especially with the garbage toilet bowl armor. Oh those sprites? They have feet too.

RIP GBA General.

How do you go from this

to this

I still think PoR and RD are super solid while I don't think nearly as much of 8 as others, but I still like it. 12 is good. I don't think well of Shadow or Awakening at all. I do strongly believe that 3-7 was the strongest era of the series, with 4-6 being its core and 8-10 still being good (PoR is god). 9 and 10's problem is that they ditched how nice the last slew of games looked, 11 and 12's problem is that they ditched trying to look decent at all. You nailed one of my core problems with the series and its current direction. It feels like going through a just okay anime while cheesing everything without even cheesing in fun or cool ways that have tradeoffs and big roadbumps or epic moments/fights. That really kills immersion, the stronger entries were truly something unique. I do strongly miss the over-the-top and flashy yet somewhat practical animations years ago that the GBA games perfected from the SNES, as well as everything just looking really nice.

If I can find Nohr super cheap and used, plow through the game, and never overthink it or really review it like I did a lot wih Awakening, then I may shoot for that option.

Can't leave Mason ELIWOOD out.

Seth is easily the best FE8 unit. Why? Starts off incredibly solid, never falls off, compares well to 20/20 units at max level due to solid bases and high growths, can be dropped into a map practically anywhere in the game and do fine, and even if you EXP sponge with him completely, the game will still be easy with him. Solo'ing the game with him requires little thinking or difficulty. You can A support him with Duessel and make them a duo to make it even easier with no effort, as if there were any effort beforehand. You can use him as a regular party member and never feel disappointed, too. He's not quite a Jeigan, FE6 (but not 7) Marcus, etc. He's under a different archetype, an Oifaye. A character's general utility throughout the game, their jointime, the $ required in raising them with weapons/promotion items, not needing to wait on promotion, supports, needing no grinding or babying, and what they start with are definitely much, much better than 20/20 stats. Sure you can grind Ewan to Druid or Summoner, but you can solo the game very quickly with Seth and invest a teeny bit of time to farm stat boosters at endgame anyways to solo Ruins.

Glad you're not falling to EXP sponges, but good prepromotes do have many merits. Not saying this for all prepromotes, just the top cut of good ones out there. If you can cheese an entire game with a prepromote and have no trouble, do their 20/20 stats compared to others matter?

I would argue that most units in Awakening are useless due to incredible imbalance. You have ways to cheese the game in like an hour from the prologue, and those ways don't involve almost all of the cast or any grinding. Apotheosis is the same and has little merit to buying or playing. Sure you can grind for an hour to make Sully an unstoppable unit for the rest of the game, but that doesn't say much for balance or what makes her specifically good, and you could have the game done by then.

I used to think 20/20 stats and having units theoretically duel each other decided the better unit, but then years passed and here I am.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
You know what the great thing about Seth was? Not only was he strong the whole game but you could take all his equips, have him tank and let your units grind enemies and they would only attack Seth due to how the AI was programmed.

BTW FE8 has the best Manakete in the series. Not only is Myrrh powerful and have a cute human form, I also appreciated the dragon form looked like a dragon, was very powerful, but also isn't insulting to look at compared to those gay ass flower dragons in Awakening.

Flower Dragons that never hit as hard.

And now with Fates new MC we are a Manakete. That would be great. If his/her Dragon form didn't take the form as some obtuse ditzy deer.

And I really hope it has some world building, because honestly we need more then 2 kingdoms and a bunch of villages.

In older entries you have several nations and city states all established with a few of em having conquest plans.

With Awakening I always wondered where are the people?

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Seth (FE8), Sigurd and Robin (FE13) are my candidates xD

But Sigurd is the best because has all the things that makes good Seth... with even better growths (but Resistence), a legendary weapon that makes him practically invincible against the magic and the "Lord" Status.
sigurd is for only half the game though
Alm is easily the most powerful unit in the series. People forget him easily.
prob cause I never finished that one

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
*dusts himself off* How you all are doing?
I've been busy getting ready for school for the past week... Today was my first class of my pre-animation and illustration program. And I can't draw to save my life lol.

And seeing your avatar reminded me of this vid I recently saw (Gurren Lagann music ftw!). Watch this if you need some motivation and inspiration for whatever you're about to do:

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

hehe
BTW FE8 has the best Manakete in the series. Not only is Myrrh powerful and have a cute human form, I also appreciated the dragon form looked like a dragon, was very powerful, but also isn't insulting to look at compared to those gay *** flower dragons in Awakening.
those are clearly sea horses

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Makes it that much worse.

Also all the manaketes in Awakening were Female. Lol.
my question is where the **** is xane
for beinga divine dragon (oops spoiler) he seemed to not be alive anymore
not like I would want to see what terrible redesign that would have been there

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
It isn't like they can screw Xane up.

I imagine if Tiki is alive so would Xane.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
It isn't like they can screw Xane up.

I imagine if Tiki is alive so would Xane.
xane only gave two cares for a handful of people, you think if tiki was awake after so many years xane would show up

and it's like he was unimportant or unpopular
bah I'm reading too much into it
It is awakening after all

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Seth is easily the best FE8 unit. Why? Starts off incredibly solid, never falls off, compares well to 20/20 units at max level due to solid bases and high growths, can be dropped into a map practically anywhere in the game and do fine, and even if you EXP sponge with him completely, the game will still be easy with him. Solo'ing the game with him requires little thinking or difficulty. You can A support him with Duessel and make them a duo to make it even easier with no effort, as if there were any effort beforehand. You can use him as a regular party member and never feel disappointed, too. He's not quite a Jeigan, FE6 (but not 7) Marcus, etc. He's under a different archetype, an Oifaye. A character's general utility throughout the game, their jointime, the $ required in raising them with weapons/promotion items, not needing to wait on promotion, supports, needing no grinding or babying, and what they start with are definitely much, much better than 20/20 stats. Sure you can grind Ewan to Druid or Summoner, but you can solo the game very quickly with Seth and invest a teeny bit of time to farm stat boosters at endgame anyways to solo Ruins.

Glad you're not falling to EXP sponges, but good prepromotes do have many merits. Not saying this for all prepromotes, just the top cut of good ones out there. If you can cheese an entire game with a prepromote and have no trouble, do their 20/20 stats compared to others matter?

I would argue that most units in Awakening are useless due to incredible imbalance. You have ways to cheese the game in like an hour from the prologue, and those ways don't involve almost all of the cast or any grinding. Apotheosis is the same and has little merit to buying or playing. Sure you can grind for an hour to make Sully an unstoppable unit for the rest of the game, but that doesn't say much for balance or what makes her specifically good, and you could have the game done by then.

I used to think 20/20 stats and having units theoretically duel each other decided the better unit, but then years passed and here I am.
He's good?! Most of what I know about FE at the moment is from awakening and in that game I could instantly see that Frederick wouldn't be good for long. I guess I just assumed Seth was the same as Frederick.

I think that all units in Awakening can be overpowered, that is, if grinding skills and levels with second/master seals is your kinda thing. Otherwise, yeah, most aren't too good but just about all the kids can easily break the game.

Bantu too. Getting to later posts, I see him now. :yoshi:

He's old as dirt, I don't recall if he dies during FE3/12 or between it and 13 or if it's left a mystery.

He's good?! Most of what I know about FE at the moment is from awakening and in that game I could instantly see that Frederick wouldn't be good for long. I guess I just assumed Seth was the same as Frederick.

I think that all units in Awakening can be overpowered, that is, if grinding skills and levels with second/master seals is your kinda thing. Otherwise, yeah, most aren't too good but just about all the kids can easily break the game.
Frederick is pretty good in Awakening, you can use him as a regular party member and he's still excellent at endgame. You get early Luna, bulky stats, and a good class pool for a gen 1 unit that furthers his excellent mobility and bulkiness. Seth is in the same Oifaye archetype as Frederick, but Seth does it better. There are indeed earlygame paladins in other games that have the flaws you described, you just coincidentally got two Oifayes in a row.

You alright if I spoil real quick which ones are Jagens and which ones are Oifayes? Jagens = bad, Oifayes = great

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Frederick is pretty good in Awakening, you can use him as a regular party member and he's still excellent at endgame. You get early Luna, bulky stats, and a good class pool for a gen 1 unit that furthers his excellent mobility and bulkiness. Seth is in the same Oifaye archetype as Frederick, but Seth does it better. There are indeed earlygame paladins in other games that have the flaws you described, you just coincidentally got two Oifayes in a row.

You alright if I spoil real quick which ones are Jagens and which ones are Oifayes? Jagens = bad, Oifayes = great
huh... Frederick isn't ****... everything I've ever known is a lie.

Anyway, I was planning on hosting a tournament on saturday but now it turns out I'm going away for the weekend so I'm letting Halfy from the Tink boards host it. It's just an online tournament (not on the tourney mode, on with friends) and we need 2 more people in it. Here's a link to the current bracket: http://challonge.com/LotadAlittle_sm4sh_1
The rules are all listed there and the time is undecided (we'll figure it out when we know who's participating).
If you want in then just message pm me, first come, first serve for these 2 slots, but if for whatever reason we get 10 people who want to join (which I think is very unlikely) then it'll probably just be a 16 person tournament instead of 8. I may do this again next week and maybe even make it a weekly thing for every saturday so if you can't make it then it's fine.

edit: Only 1 slot left now.

edit: sorry, all slots now taken

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
may as well have my two cents on the Jagen character thing:
FE1 Jagen is real bad, all his growth rates are either 0% or 10%
FE2 doesn't really have one
FE3 Arran also suffers from all his growth rates being 10% or less, don't use him
FE4 gen 1: Sigurd is godlike, Quan (if you count him) isn't bad either
FE4 gen 2: Oifey is decent and doesn't really fall off (hence the Oifey archetype as distinct from the Jagen)
FE5: Eyvel and Dagdar are pretty useless
FE6 Marcus is bad
FE7 Marcus is decent but will still (probably) get outclassed
FE8: Sacred Seth, our lord and saviour
FE9: Titania isn't bad, can fill in a slot well enough if you need her
FE10: Sothe is obligatory for endgame so you have to use him anyway
FE11 Jagen is better than the original, but still pretty bad
^ Same for FE12 Arran
FE13: Frederick is more than usable (as with any other unit in the game after enough second seals, really, though he can hold his own without them)

In other news, started on FE6 today. I want Roy to be good, but he's not helping with no strength growths at all in his first six levels :/

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
In other news, started on FE6 today. I want Roy to be good, but he's not helping with no strength growths at all in his first six levels :/
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think I've seen some Roy hate because he's "not that good" however, I've definitely seen a lot of hate for Eirika, as in, a lot of hate for the same reason, and I don't get it... Frankly on my current playthrough of FE8 Eirika's pretty good, not one of my best but she's still really good, maybe I just got blessed by the RNGod but I can't see how people could complain about her being bad.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Roy has terrible stats. Only time he wrecks is when he gets the OP weapon at the end of the game.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
FE3 Arran also suffers from all his growth rates being 10% or less, don't use him
FE4 gen 2: Oifey is decent and doesn't really fall off (hence the Oifey archetype as distinct from the Jagen)
FE6 Marcus is bad
^ Same for FE12 Arran
FE13: Frederick is more than usable (as with any other unit in the game after enough second seals, really, though he can hold his own without them)

I can relate, my Roy is absolutely terrible right now ;-; In fact, I feel like my entire team is behind. Kept getting reked by the wyvern riders and reinforcements on chapter 7. Now, on chapter 8, I'm disappointed that Roy and Lilina don't get a conversation and Rutger died. RIP my playthrough, I've been RNG screwed too much. The system wins today.

EDIT: THEN SHANNA GOES AND DIES TO MYSTERIOUS ARCHER. well then

EDIT 2: And Allan dies to a Knight crit. You know what? Good night.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I saw this ad on Smashboards for some video game, and I swear the two characters shown look kinda like Roy and Ryu. I forgot to screen cap it, but it's too funny. I need to find it...

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Roy has terrible stats. Only time he wrecks is when he gets the OP weapon at the end of the game.
I know we've told you a million times, but I'm still going to keep saying roy's stats are not why he is bad.
I will admit 40% growth rates are iffy with RNG, but his average stats are rather solid
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think I've seen some Roy hate because he's "not that good" however, I've definitely seen a lot of hate for Eirika, as in, a lot of hate for the same reason, and I don't get it... Frankly on my current playthrough of FE8 Eirika's pretty good, not one of my best but she's still really good, maybe I just got blessed by the RNGod but I can't see how people could complain about her being bad.
Erika pretty much Lyn with slightly better bases. Both characters are susceptible to being RNG screwed the massive difference is Erika's game escalates quicker and you'll need points of strength sooner

I've had a level 18 Lyn with 3 defence I believe
They are both rather painful to level sometimes
tumblr_ntjkazwMCc1tvhocho1_540.png

FE6 Marcus is bad
^ Same for FE12 Arran

TLDR; in order to be full Jagen your growths have to bad and you need to do something manly as ****
and if you argue Eyvel isn't manly shame on you

FE6 Marcus is bad
^ Same for FE12 Arran

I do think Titania is incredibly good, almost Seth-level. The amount of BEXP she nets is godly. I'd argue her as more than just a slot.

I personally worship Marcus.

You might have to sell your soul and invest in energy rings. Odd since his str growth isn't bad.

He's pretty good but he's not the strongest lord. Eirika's good too. Her brother's extremely overrated, especially by people screaming "LANCES 4 UNIQUE TR4SH DLC!!! HECTOR AND EPHRAIM BEST SERIES UNITS!! CHUCK NORRIS FOOTBALL!!!!" but still really good.

Fantastic growths, okay bases. Excellent for all the tough early-game chapters. Falls off yes but he's pretty downplayed and just not utilized well, he still has utility on downtime and is indeed a beast at lategame. At least he picks back up, I'd definitely take that over other lords who fall off and never come back.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Fantastic growths, okay bases. Excellent for all the tough early-game chapters. Falls off yes but he's pretty downplayed and just not utilized well, he still has utility on downtime and is indeed a beast at lategame. At least he picks back up, I'd definitely take that over other lords who fall off and never come back.
Definitely. You just have to build him as best you can so he doesn't fall too far behind other units.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The main problem I have with Roy is his stupidly late promotion - whose bright idea was it to not let him promote until four chapters before the end of the game? Means he's stuck at level 20 and getting no levels for several chapters, so he drops off while everyone else that can promote steams on ahead. He's good early on - rapier helps him get kills off horses and armour knight bosses - it's the mid-game where he's stuck at level 20 not doing much that lets him down most.
His growth rates are among the best in his game - it's just that growth rates in general in FE6 are susceptible to getting done over by the RNG... except Karel, of course:
karel.png

The main problem I have with Roy is his stupidly late promotion - whose bright idea was it to not let him promote until four chapters before the end of the game? Means he's stuck at level 20 and getting no levels for several chapters, so he drops off while everyone else that can promote steams on ahead. He's good early on - rapier helps him get kills off horses and armour knight bosses - it's the mid-game where he's stuck at level 20 not doing much that lets him down most.
His growth rates are among the best in his game - it's just that growth rates in general in FE6 are susceptible to getting done over by the RNG... except Karel, of course:
View attachment 72830
You could get RNG screwed and miss out on a third health point per level, two in other stats per level, and his res growth sucks.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm becoming quite solid at Roy methinks. Next stage is offline vs people to see how it handles. Really like dthrow uairing for infinite amounts of time, dtilt into ftilt the other direction the way he doesn't slide much during his pivot fsmash (marth goes back a lot :<) makes it much easier to time/space as a tech read.
Heck, I love just... sour spot fsmashing people.

There's something nostalgic about the way this character plays, can't really put a finger on it but I think it has a lot to do with the aerial mobility. He has a pretty potent full hop game I find too.
Maybe also to do with it being like a middle ground between Marth and Ike, with melee and brawl tinges to it.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
This is spoiler material for Super Mario Maker, just in case people don't want to know about any extra content. I think it's relevant.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

EDIT: There are technical issues going on. Please stand by as I try to fix this lol
Roy isn't an amiibo costume. Darrn. After I saw Lucas I thought maybe it would happen but nope. If I missed him well I'm a complete scrub, but I'm quite sure he isn't there. At least we got FE content in the first place.

Last edited:
This is spoiler material for Super Mario Maker, just in case people don't want to know about any extra content. I think it's relevant.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

EDIT: There are technical issues going on. Please stand by as I try to fix this lol
Roy isn't an amiibo costume. Darrn. After I saw Lucas I thought maybe it would happen but nope. If I missed him well I'm a complete scrub, but I'm quite sure he isn't there. At least we got FE content in the first place.
Ryu didn't either. Mario Maker is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Still might get it with my fresh paycheck.

I need to see what Dr. Mario looks like.

Is there actual datamining or confirmation on Lucas?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I think this means that Lucas made it in time before SMM finished development, and not Roy, Ryu, whoever. Or there could be an update down the road. I wouldn't be surprised if we get additional content since it helps keep people interested and you could do A LOT with SMM DLC. Plus as much as I love Roy, I wanna see this guy:

If Roy really isn't a costume, I'll be pretty disappointed. But I'm kinda hopeful for future content.

D

Deleted member

I hope they include Roy later on in the future.
Despite this, I still really want the game.

Top Bottom