• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Does Roy really need to be nerfed? Everyone I talk to about Roy says he is too powerful or that he kills to early, but, his sweet spot Fsmash kills at the same percent as Marths tipper fsmash, so why are they complaining about his power? Plus his smashes are sorta laggy and require a good read to take off a stock. Then you have his sub-par recovery and only five semi-reliable kill moves. (Bair, Fair, Fsmash, Usmash and Ftilt.) other then that he has to rely on edge-guarding and his throws don't even link into death combos at high percentage, like sheik, ZSS and lungi have. And finally, he has a pretty sucky neutral, there isn't a lot he can do against top tiers in the neutral. So what reason is there to nerf this solid high tier to mid tier?
No. Roy's fine. He has a bad recovery and his sweetspot placement makes him very unsafe on shield.I suppose you could try to use his sourspots, but I'm not sure if they're safe on hit.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Does Roy really need to be nerfed? Everyone I talk to about Roy says he is too powerful or that he kills to early, but, his sweet spot Fsmash kills at the same percent as Marths tipper fsmash, so why are they complaining about his power? Plus his smashes are sorta laggy and require a good read to take off a stock. Then you have his sub-par recovery and only five semi-reliable kill moves. (Bair, Fair, Fsmash, Usmash and Ftilt.) other then that he has to rely on edge-guarding and his throws don't even link into death combos at high percentage, like sheik, ZSS and lungi have. And finally, he has a pretty sucky neutral, there isn't a lot he can do against top tiers in the neutral. So what reason is there to nerf this solid high tier to mid tier?
Roy's Fsmash is easier to sweetspot than Marth's that's why people complain about Roy's being "OP" probably not realizing that Marth is able to Jab 1 > Fsmash.

I don't think Roy needs any nerfs but I wouldn't be surprised if he did get a nerf.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Dude, thats awesome. Where did you try it out? How did you try it out? What characters did you try out?

:link:
I got to try out Blaziken and Suicune. Suicune felt meh because of all the projectiles and laggy attacks he had, but Blaziken feels so dang amazing. Maining him once the game comes out. I've been at Pokemon Worlds, so I've been playing it there :3

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
^ Sweet, sounds like you had a lot of fun.

I seriously can't wait for Pokken, the game looks pretty hype. Blaziken and Weavile are probably my fave additions so far. Especially Weavile since I always had him a part of my party in Pearl/Platinum (*sniff* the memories...). I also love :215:.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Strange isn't it ? How a Roy main goes to play a pokemon fighter and immediately chooses the character that has the ph1r3.
I feel like that pokken game has a lot of potential and really wish they include Hawlucha.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Ok guys. I kicked my melee and pm habits, and roys seems to be one of my better characters.

You might not see luigi in by bio soon.
If you know what i mean.;)

I played out of my mind at Springs Scene VII. Expect one of my sets up whenever they're posted on Colorado Smash's YouTube channel within a day or two. I went Roy/Ike only for the entire event.

There were ~100 people in pools. Top 24 out, I made it out of pools.

http://challonge.com/SS7Smash4Top24

I went for too many unecessary hard reads and didn't know Olimar, Sonic, Pikachu, and Dedede well enough. I need to optimize my neutral game and safe pressure as well as approach weird matchups better. I'm keeping my excessive reads, they're so cash money that I can beat the IRS and federal reserve with them in a 2v1 one day. I just need to improve my attempts to read and fine-tune them, and save more for when they're necessary. Other than that, hard reads all day.

Bracket-specific tldr post ahead:

In pools, I advanced once due to my opponent not showing. I lost 2-1 to Olimar early on (beat his DK convincingly in that set, lost convincingly to Oli and it felt hopeless, he got 3rd anyways so I'm glad someone who did that well got into the money), won vs. a few Rosalinas with one going Sheik to try and counterpick me, beat a Yoshi, and lost 2-1 versus Dedede. I got a 0 to death with Ike that involved his dair spike and a footstool with a successful recovery right off the bat, I only wish it were on stream. I hope whoever owns that setup goes through replays and puts it up, but that's a pretty low chance. I'll ask in the Facebook group.
I don't know how I made it out of top 3 pools with two losses, but I was #3 in my pool. My biggest accomplishment there was beating a PR player 2-0 versus their Rosalina with Roy and Sheik with Ike. Another Rosalina gave me more trouble than him due to playing incredibly lame. I should look into super lame Rosalina play specifically rather than just the MU versus regular lame Rosalina. I'll ask their boards and make the difference clear, they won't mind. :lick:

Out of pools, I beat a Luigi/Sonic, won game 1 versus Luigi convincingly and lost #2 versus Sonic at last stock and kill %, then won due to timeout on game 3 on Dreamland.
I was patient and knew that I'd have to play his game if I wanted a kill in the last two minutes, so I refused to and decided to keep a big percent lead. He was the one who choked and got impatient to hit me, so I made him play his own game and I platform/ledge camped. I never want to win due to timeout but I'm fine doing so and being chastity belt-level patient if my opponent plays in an annoying way that runs the timer.

I lost 2-0 to Detta's Pikachu. It was Detta of all players. He's incredibly skilled and it always ends up like this when I play him, but now I have more to figure him out with and will only inch closer as I tighten my neutral more. I kept a few minor leads on him, so I know I can do it.

Elle was a super solid Mega Man who had setups and combos for days, and it was really enjoyable to see him in action. It was 2-1 with me winning by 2 stocks on the last game.

Cala is known as the region's best Ike, so beating his Ike pretty well with Roy and then switching to Ike and beating his attempt to counterpick me with Peach 2-0 was satisfying. Hopefully I can get more recognition as an Ike player from that performance and stuff in general I did that day.

Ghey is the player I got a set on stream with that I'll post. His adaption skills are simply too good, I need to research the whole set to see how to crack him. He beat me 2-0, but it still felt close.

I'm surprised I did this well considering that I don't live near all the action and I'm not as experienced as people I placed with or near, but I'm not going to set expectations for myself from this. I'm just going to focus on improving and hopefully not letting this be a fluke.

After the tournament, we did the traditional CO Smash 2 AM IHOP visit as a large group. I believe I saw prostitutes for the first time in my life who were coming to eat as normal customers. One black hooker and two thai hookers, maybe male clients with them. Yo son that was legit.

The next morning, I met up with an online friend I've known for three years who is going on a road trip across the U.S from Wisconsin. I only had a few hours to hang out with him, but we made it count. We had burgerflix and chill at Culver's, which actually originated from Wisconsin. Fantastic food and brand root beer, I recommend it all. Immediately afterwards, he had to go do touristy things and travel again, so we parted ways. I did the 2 hour drive home and here I am. Rock me like a hurricane.

So can Roy's Usmash spike? I randomly came across this:

http://gfycat.com/RequiredEnlightenedBluefish

Anyone know why and how this happened? And I don't think it's easy to try and recreate.
It's possible in 4 and does the same thing. It's more reliable in Melee, but not exactly reliable.

For multi-hit moves, rage changes how the hitboxes overlap, like Wario's possible dair meteor, so that may help and/or hurt the usage of

Oh okay! Take you're time! And thanks so much! :) I just really don't want to restart the hole game.......
Here's a mini guide I wrote in five minutes that should do the trick:

Physic and Fortify will give you the most mileage here. Take Restore with you if you can for the Berserk staff in Nergal's chamber.

With the bottom-right door, send someone in who can kill Uhai as soon as possible. Swarming him with melee attacks is safe due to his inability to counter-attack, and he can be rendered useless if four units surround him. Worry about Uhai first, try to kill him in one turn, his cronies are fodder and probably the weakest enemies in this chapter. Uhai drops the S-rank bow.

The top-left corner will open the next turn. Send in at least one unit with high RES who can defeat the magic users there. While units mop up Uhai, send other units to doors that open on later turns. You get Luce (excellent light spell) and some useless dark spell in the magic chamber. The dark one is worth keeping for novelty and just to have as an option, even if Luna outclasses it so much.

For the middle chambers, I don't remember which one opens first. I think the right one.

The right one just has Darin, a general with the S-rank lance, and a fodder general. I like to put Hector here, he makes short work of this guy and the fodder general with Wolf Beil.

On the left, there is an axe/bow fodder warrior and Brendan. Brendan hits super hard, but he only has the S-rank axe. I usually like to have Eliwood take care of them.

After those two chambers, the bottom-left one opens up. It's a weird one, you just need good evasion and/or RES for it. Ursula the Valkyrie drops the S-rank tome, Jerme is really weak and has negligible damage output, and I don't remember if a third unit is here. If so, they're fodder. An easy chamber but don't sleep on this one.

The top right chamber opens last. Be most prepared for this one. Lloyd and Linus have an A-support, so they get stat bonuses within three tiles of each other. Try to swarm and kill one first after luring them out until you're ready. From there, be ready to sponge up their worst and act accordingly. Eliwood with a Brave Sword or Brave Lance is usually my MVP here. Bows and magic can kind of pick them off, just be wary of what Linus can do for 1-2 range attacks. I like the Swordslayer axe on these guys. One of them drops the S-rank sword.

No more S-rank drops to worry about after that.

From whenever you're done with all other enemies, Nergal's chamber opens. Send a low-res unit who can kill some fodder generals all the way south, since three will spawn at some point, and you don't want whoever is sent there around the Berserk staff.

Pick off the easy druids, and approach Nergal with care. He's a pushover since he can't move, just don't make fatal mistakes. Patience.

The dragon afterwards is also a pushover. 1-3 range attacks. Move your units out of the units below who like to snipe with spells, as long as they're not in 1-3 range of the dragon. The dragon can't regen or move, so play it as safe as possible. Its breath always hits for 37, so you really have nothing to worry about. You can have units wait in his attack range on your turn, let them eat up a hit, and then move after to get healed by Mend/Recover if needed. Just mop him up with Canas and/or Athos using Luna, along with Durandal and/or Armads. Patience.

You've beaten the game. Grats.

This is completely random, but I had the chance to play the Pokken demo and it's amazing. You can't believe Suicine's HD crystal horn thing until you see it in real life. And, I also failed because of me trying to play it like Smash. BUT IT WAS STILL AWESOMELY FUN
Put Golurk in and I'm sold.

Those people are whiny about anything that beats them and don't think critically about balance or how to win. I'm glad you're different.

Marth's tipper kills so much sooner. Ike's raw fsmash kills sooner. Roy's fsmash isn't -that- much stronger than Lucina's, and she can space her fsmash kills better both horizontally and vertically. The amount people seem to want it nerfed to is about Lucina's data, and that's just not how good balance works. I really don't see why people seem to imply that Roy has a ridiculous forward smash, it's balanced well.

Tell them to DI better and to respect moves at kill percents instead of playing around like kids on paint chips at the edge of the stage to minimize how good the option is.

Roy's fsmash has three hitboxes. The fist hits for 20 and has the most knockback. The area between that and near the tip of the sword hits for 17 and isn't as powerful, it's a lot more forgiving but still beefy and good at killing. The tip is super weak, but I've gimped people at high percents with it. If you get hit point-blank by Roy's fsmash, you deserve it.

Roy has a really good neutral against pretty much everyone. I feel he has a few hard MU's but with some stuff below top characters like Dedede and little versus top characters. If you're on-point and optimizing Roy then you're going to constantly be beating out of shield options, spotdodges, rolls, aerial approaches, grounded approaches, ledge options, offstage options, and when an opponent is above you just by doing Roy things with his character-specific pokes and movement tools. He gets a lot off any of these punishes if your punish game is at least solid.

I don't have much of an opinion on where Roy stands, but I feel he needs a better kill throw or way to do a true combo which kills off a throw, a better dthrow to link into aerials more, and maybe slightly better frame data when it comes to poking to truly put him among the best. As it stands, it's easy to see that there's more ridiculous characters, so there's no point nerfing literally anything on Roy, directly or indirectly, so I agree with you there.

Nah, Roy is already okay right now. He is powerful, but needs so much contact because his sour-spots are weak and his sweet spots are in the hilt of his already short range attacks.

Also, fast-faller with a slow recovery.

This is enough for me to see him as a balanced character.
I feel that Roy's fall speed works much more for than against him, and that Blazer's hitboxes in many, many uses and its ability to angle gives Roy an excellent recovery move rather than a bad or average one. I do agree that he's well balanced, and I believe he only needs more good stuff to add to him.

No. Roy's fine. He has a bad recovery and his sweetspot placement makes him very unsafe on shield.I suppose you could try to use his sourspots, but I'm not sure if they're safe on hit.
Ironically, his sourspots are safer on shield than Marth and Lucina's. He either gets frame advantage or his frame disadvantage is far below human reaction time.

http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-trap-game-primer.409740/

Roy's recovery imo is excellent with mixups, how easily it stage spikes with how difficult is to react to Blazer's many hitboxes to tech with very little time to tech due to how teching works on weak hits for stage spikes (even at 0), how it's sometimes impossible to tech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8rpifNUEYo&index=84&list=PLyjrSXzY5Wcnm2ieLDFpXF7weYfsj0e1q) how it beats so many options while recovering, how it's difficult to edgeguard when used well going both high and low, and how it's a very solid kill move, combo option, and out of shield option onstage. Maybe more that's not on the top of my head.

Yo @ Furret Furret , it took me a while but I finally changed my avatar to Levin. :shades:

I also knocked a few Rosalinas out of pools this weekend, are you proud?

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
The Roy boards is in need of a metagame thread, so I might start on one later if that's alright. If you're wondering what it will look like, here's what I have in mind when it comes to the layout: http://smashboards.com/threads/links-metagame-discuss-strategies-and-techniques-here.379659/
Roys meta is still in development. We are hard at work on developing Roys meta. Also, that probably is not the best example of a meta thread. But I can make it if need be. I have been playing and studying Roy for a long time.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Roys meta is still in development. We are hard at work on developing Roys meta. Also, that probably is not the best example of a meta thread. But I can make it if need be. I have been playing and studying Roy for a long time.

Uh, so? The point of a metagame thread is to help develop that said character's metagame lol. I'm sorry but from what I've learned about you and your history at the Link boards, I doubt you have the capability to maintain a thread like that as it stands now.

Last edited:
The Roy boards is in need of a metagame thread, so I might start on one later if that's alright. If you're wondering what it will look like, here's what I have in mind when it comes to the layout: http://smashboards.com/threads/links-metagame-discuss-strategies-and-techniques-here.379659/
I'm not sure what I'd contribute besides bnb combos, ways to mix up recovery, linking you to http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-trap-game-primer.409740/, explaining how Blazer works and how its hitboxes may link differently with rage, how beast falling uair is, how his sweetspot aerials have a lot of hitstun and uses for that like how he can Sheik fair you at times to death offstage, landing options, and my recent set that should be up today hopefully. Some of it is scraping the bottom of the barrel or just trying to think of what to add for the sake of adding anything.

Maybe more.

I have a Roy playlist on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyjrSXzY5Wcnm2ieLDFpXF7weYfsj0e1q
Not all of it is serious, but 90-95% is. I added some fiery tracks in that fit and are relevant to Roy.

Roy just doesn't seem to have any special gimmicks or tricks to him like Mega Man, Link, Toon Link, ZSS, R.O.B, Peach, Olimar, Pac-Man, Miis, etc. There's not much noteworthy stuff besides "hit them and don't get hit."
Most of his stuff is "no **** Sherlock" stuff like the 'tech' TLOC's been doing each week, since he's really just a fundamentals character with very different properties from others that are still easy to pick up on.

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Roy doesn't have a much to discuss. MUs, hit boxes and combos are probably the only thing we should and already have discussed.

But like I said, go ahead and make it. :happysheep:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Roy just doesn't seem to have any special gimmicks or tricks to him
Well, this isn't specific to Roy (every character can do it), but it's really useful for him and I never see anyone but me do this on any character.

AT - Special sliding

When you stop dashing, you can cancel your dashslide with a special move. I think it works for all specials except side, but it's really hard to hit the input for anything but neutral B. The input is Dash>release>B. You have to hit B almost immediately after releasing the control stick. You're looking to hit B in those few frames where you transition from your dash animation into that sliding stop animation.

Well, this isn't specific to Roy (every character can do it), but it's really useful for him and I never see anyone but me do this on any character.

AT - Special sliding

When you stop dashing, you can cancel your dashslide with a special move. I think it works for all specials except side, but it's really hard to hit the input for anything but neutral B. The input is Dash>release>B. You have to hit B almost immediately after releasing the control stick. You're looking to hit B in those few frames where you transition from your dash animation into that sliding stop animation.
Ye it's good on Roy

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Well then it'd be nice to hear Sethlon's opinion on Roy

AT - Special sliding

You can Side B while running. It's a good combo tool after forward throw to catch pretty much all characters. I'm 99% sure its a true combo because Forward throw to dash attack isn't always guaranteed. Same thing for Forward throw into dash Nair, not always guaranteed.

Well, I'm pretty sure they aren't guaranteed because I've had several occasions where they manage to jump out of the way before my dash attack or running Nair hits them

Last edited:
I think the point is, we should wait until we get more pro Roy players opinions and contribution befor we can make a meta game discussion thread.

Nah. We don't really need Sethlon at all for the thread. He's not much of a 4 player at all and doesn't really enjoy the game. Only his PM Roy is truly noteworthy and I don't like how he's considered the end-all head of Roy in Melee or 4. We have much more than enough for a basic start. His contribution would be good, but we don't need him to wipe our asses for us.

We don't have many Roys to begin with, let alone any titans of Roy, so I feel it's best to just get a start.

You can Side B while running. It's a good combo tool after forward throw to catch pretty much all characters. I'm 99% sure its a true combo because Forward throw to dash attack isn't always guaranteed. Same thing for Forward throw into dash Nair, not always guaranteed.

Well, I'm pretty sure they aren't guaranteed because I've had several occasions where they manage to jump out of the way before my dash attack or running Nair hits them
It's good. Fthrow to DED is good. Lots of stuff into DED is good, and pivot DED has always been valuable.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

You can side-B when running, but it doesn't give you the slide you get with up, down, or neutral special.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

AT - Special sliding

Now I'm going to screw with people by using a sliding Counter/sliding Flare Blade. This is going to be fun. >:D

My first set on stream!!

Wow, I definitely need to lose a few lbs before my next event. Eugh. That'll be one of my main goals over the next month. I should also aim to look a bit more fashionable. I'll ask @ Croph Croph for weight tips since she's a twig.

I finally got on stream for once and had a really good time! I definitely can see my mistakes and how I went for some unecessary hard reads & fishing, so I'll work on that and more of the Sonic/Olimar/Dedede/Pikachu MU's as well as other weaknesses, and I'll ask around for critique on this set.

I also should let the commentators know that I use the Eliwood tag because of the Eliwood palette next time, I sorta laughed and rolled with Elijah Wood on that thumbs up techskill. I should also let them know that I dual-main Ike and Roy, each for certain players, habits, characters, and stages, rather than just one or the other. It mostly depends on stage.

The commentators were indeed right on me timing out Sonic with Ike. It was in my set with Fabian since there were two minutes left on his last stock. I had a solid lead, and I didn't want to get impatient and play his game because that was the only way I'd even come close to a stock in the last two minutes. I didn't like how it had to be like that, but I'll do it against a lame style.

http://challonge.com/SS7Smash4Top24

I played out of my mind! I beat two PR players, one in pools and one in top 24, and my only losses in top 24 were against upper PR players. I didn't expect to do this well at all. I think I might have a shot and this restored my confidence. I can't let this place expectations, get my hopes up too much, or make me too smug. I just need to improve more from my losses against SSB100 (commentating on stream) and a few others, and show this wasn't a fluke.

I'm suddenly really excited for improvement and future brackets!

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I'm not sure what I'd contribute besides bnb combos, ways to mix up recovery, linking you to http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-trap-game-primer.409740/, explaining how Blazer works and how its hitboxes may link differently with rage, how beast falling uair is, how his sweetspot aerials have a lot of hitstun and uses for that like how he can Sheik fair you at times to death offstage, landing options, and my recent set that should be up today hopefully. Some of it is scraping the bottom of the barrel or just trying to think of what to add for the sake of adding anything.

Maybe more.

Not all of it is serious, but 90-95% is. I added some fiery tracks in that fit and are relevant to Roy.

Roy just doesn't seem to have any special gimmicks or tricks to him like Mega Man, Link, Toon Link, ZSS, R.O.B, Peach, Olimar, Pac-Man, Miis, etc. There's not much noteworthy stuff besides "hit them and don't get hit."
Most of his stuff is "no **** Sherlock" stuff like the 'tech' TLOC's been doing each week, since he's really just a fundamentals character with very different properties from others that are still easy to pick up on.
Well what I'll be doing here is that I'll be taking previous quotes on useful Roy information and put them in sections (like in the Link board's metagame thread). Further discussion will be encouraged so that I can add more information. It saves a lot of work and it's something that I could easily maintain. It doesn't really have to be things like gimmicks as long as it's something Roy can make good use of and utilize or is information that people should know about when playing Roy. I can still see there being a good amount of information imo. Especially with that mountain of things you just mentioned lol. There's a few more things I can think of that you haven't brought up, such as throw combos.

Last edited:
Well what I'll be doing here is that I'll be taking previous quotes on useful Roy information and put them in sections (like in the Link board's metagame thread). Further discussion will be encouraged so that I can add more information. It saves a lot of work and it's something that I could easily maintain. It doesn't really have to be things like gimmicks as long as it's something Roy can make good use of and utilize or is information that people should know about when playing Roy. I can still see there being a good amount of information imo. Especially with that mountain of things you just mentioned lol. There's a few more things I can think of that you haven't brought up, such as throw combos.
throw combos = bnb combos, fthrow to ded, dash attack, tech chase, and blazer at higher percents is good.

dthrow kreygasm, dthrow to blazer is way too tryhardy and suboptimal for my tastes though.

Last edited:

smokebomb12

NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Warning Received
SpgzStxin rpc'i tktc eapn Axcz gxvwi. Lwpi bpzth ndj iwxcz wt rpc eapn Gdn pcn qtiitg? Vxkt iwt btip vpbt iwgtps id hdbtdct lwd zcdlh lwpi iwtn pgt sdxcv,

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Nah. We don't really need Sethlon at all for the thread. He's not much of a 4 player at all and doesn't really enjoy the game. Only his PM Roy is truly noteworthy and I don't like how he's considered the end-all head of Roy in Melee or 4. We have much more than enough for a basic start. His contribution would be good, but we don't need him to wipe our ***** for us.

We don't have many Roys to begin with, let alone any titans of Roy, so I feel it's best to just get a start.

It's good. Fthrow to DED is good. Lots of stuff into DED is good, and pivot DED has always been valuable.
Sethlon has said that he likes SSB4 Roy so much that he is thinking of quitting both PM and Melee and going full SSB4.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I have been rather enjoying Smash4 Roy. FWIW I played Brawl for a rather long time, so Smash4's style of engine doesn't necessarily turn me off...Robin wasn't the style of character (or as good a character overall) that I'd hoped she would be, and none of the other characters interested me too much before DLC, so I lost interest. Roy is very interesting to me though, and can be played in the sort of way that I would want to play him.

I would probably co-main both Smash4 and PM, but I haven't been having much fun / success with PM lately and have sort of lost faith in the project as a whole.

Agreed that I'm certainly not the best Smash4 Roy atm, though. I've been improving in the past month or two, but there's still a lot about Smash4 that I don't know about (matchups, character strats, small interactions, gimmicks, etc). I'd like to think I've got a decent game going, due to previous experience and overall competitive know-how, but Gnes and StaticManny are both pretty clearly better than me atm, and those are just the only two really good Roy's that I know of.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
And now we have the man himself

You got a good Roy going so far. Just need repetition on match ups and not Side B while off stage lol

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It certainly is, but it's what you come to expect from a poster like smokebomb.
Thanks for the translation. It's funny he thinks that, because I doubt he can do better when he's incapable of even behaving properly (he actually proposed that he should be the one to work on the Roy metagame thread). Also, when was the last time he ever worked on a major thread or even contributed in any way? We'll just leave it at that then I guess.

Last edited:
I have been rather enjoying Smash4 Roy. FWIW I played Brawl for a rather long time, so Smash4's style of engine doesn't necessarily turn me off...Robin wasn't the style of character (or as good a character overall) that I'd hoped she would be, and none of the other characters interested me too much before DLC, so I lost interest. Roy is very interesting to me though, and can be played in the sort of way that I would want to play him.

I would probably co-main both Smash4 and PM, but I haven't been having much fun / success with PM lately and have sort of lost faith in the project as a whole.

Agreed that I'm certainly not the best Smash4 Roy atm, though. I've been improving in the past month or two, but there's still a lot about Smash4 that I don't know about (matchups, character strats, small interactions, gimmicks, etc). I'd like to think I've got a decent game going, due to previous experience and overall competitive know-how, but Gnes and StaticManny are both pretty clearly better than me atm, and those are just the only two really good Roy's that I know of.
Heh, I'm interested in seeing where you go with this and me potentially being proven wrong. PM hasn't caught my interest since the end of 3.0's era and I haven't enjoyed it lately. 3.5 and 3.6 haven't brought me back.

If you can become the beast you were in PM 3.0 or put in that effort, I'd like to see it.
My only problem is how fanboys automatically hand you thrones, and I recently ran into a few scenarios where it's really irked me, but I have faith if you keep the effort and right attitude, and want you to succeed most out of the potential SSB4 Roys if you do.

I don't want Manny being anywhere near the face of Roy. Everything about that guy irritates me, and someone who was strongly against Roy pre-DLC should not be Roy's main representation. I'd much rather see a neutral standpoint pre-DLC succeed than him.

Please surpass him. It's my goal to, but the more Roys who might the better.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Huzzah! I've just returned from my ****hole cottage! and we had crappy weather too...

I have some stuff to catch up on, but I'll be more active once I get settled in more or maybe tomorrow.

Wow, I definitely need to lose a few lbs before my next event. Eugh. That'll be one of my main goals over the next month. I should also aim to look a bit more fashionable. I'll ask @ Croph Croph for weight tips since she's a twig.
If you want to lose some weight, just follow my simple diet: don't eat. Works like a charm.

Seriously though, dunno why you're worried about your looks since you look fine to me. I need to gain like 10 lbs at the very least. >.>

But congrats at the tourney and having your first set on stream! Sounds like you had fun and learned a lot.

It's also nice to hear from Sethlon. I'd like to stick with Smash 4 since there's a lot more options now. Project M just isn't popular here, and Melee seems to not be as popular as Smash 4. I just gotta get my butt to my local. I've been too busy lately...

I'm kidna afraid to ask, but what's the story behind "Roy the Movie"? :rotfl:

Top Bottom