• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Roy rose a whole six spots in the last tier list, so people's impressions of him are definitely changing for the better.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Roy rose a whole six spots in the last tier list, so people's impressions of him are definitely changing for the better.
I sure hope so. I mean, he isn't crazy good, but he definitely deserved better. Atleast it's slowly rising up.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
So I was looking through Hyper's Twitter and eventually came across this: https://mobile.twitter.com/CloudySSB/status/841486085171617793?p=v

In case some of you do not know, CloudY is one of my country's top :4cloud2: players and arguably the second best :4feroy: player behind Serge. I thought I should show you guys this mainly because there are a fair amount of MU's I personally do not agree with, especially :4sheik:'s. I personally think that most of Roy's MU's are even with Sheik being the only one he loses -2. So what are your thoughts?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So I was looking through Hyper's Twitter and eventually came across this: https://mobile.twitter.com/CloudySSB/status/841486085171617793?p=v

In case some of you do not know, CloudY is one of my country's top :4cloud2: players and arguably the second best :4feroy: player behind Serge. I thought I should show you guys this mainly because there are a fair amount of MU's I personally do not agree with, especially :4sheik:'s. I personally think that most of Roy's MU's are even with Sheik being the only one he loses -2. So what are your thoughts?
How does he deal with pikachu? Or megaman? Feels a bit weird looking through the list.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So... anyone being playing Breath of the Wild?

It's really good

I thought roy beat Donkey Kong?

:135:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Only merit I have, is the lack of music most of the time. Otherwise, it's Witcher 3 meets Windwaker. Minus the water.

... which is pretty amazing.
I think it is to add to the effect of being in the Wild and isolated from the world. I honestly quiet like it that the music isn't always play, i think it suits the game well.

I've played witcher 3 so i don't know the comparison but for me i'd say it's like Skyrim meets Wind Waker (minus water)

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
"Really good" is an understatement. I haven't legit sat down and played a game for an entire day since Galaxy 2.
Not even smash?
I think my last game was Fates, where I even took a few days off, because I was so compeditive about the pairings and skills...

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

We've actually restarted the Roy community MU chart project, I've documented the changes on the old MU Directory thread here if you'd like to check that information out. It's still incomplete, but this is what we have so far:

All but Wario and Bowser Junior have MU Analysis documents created for them at this point, which are linked in the MU directory thread I linked to above. Wario and Bowser Junior I'm still collecting responses for.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Not even smash?
I think my last game was Fates, where I even took a few days off, because I was so compeditive about the pairings and skills...
Even with Brawl, a game I was immeasurably hyped for, I eventually took a break. This game completely has me trapped, though.
We've actually restarted the Roy community MU chart project, I've documented the changes on the old MU Directory thread here if you'd like to check that information out. It's still incomplete, but this is what we have so far:

All but Wario and Bowser Junior have MU Analysis documents created for them at this point, which are linked in the MU directory thread I linked to above. Wario and Bowser Junior I'm still collecting responses for.
Interesting that Rosalina is said to be even. I always considered her to be bad for Roy. Maybe it's me that's bad.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Even with Brawl, a game I was immeasurably hyped for, I eventually took a break. This game completely has me trapped, though.

Interesting that Rosalina is said to be even. I always considered her to be bad for Roy. Maybe it's me that's bad.
Rosa has some of the best documentation, it's listed on the thread, in this google doc.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I poked my head in to see the forum joke, but no one else was here so yeah lol. I preferred Fire Emblem boards from last year better tbh lmao.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
983921_799504456873356_4258412928979980244_n.jpg

This just makes me want a fully fleshed out version of Roy

Or remake of binding blade

Though to be honest, Roy's magic seems a little... high. Especially since (as far as I'm aware) he has not magic use at all

Unless the binding blade's strength is based on magic

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
you didn't explain properly
Well I'm no expert but I'd think that it would be Captain Falcon's favour just cause he has a few more options then Roy.

Then again if Roy uses his Range properly then it's probably even

Maybe idk, i'm not very good at Roy ._.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
you didn't explain properly
Well I'm no expert but I'd think that it would be Captain Falcon's favour just cause he has a few more options then Roy.

Then again if Roy uses his Range properly then it's probably even

Maybe idk, i'm not very good at Roy ._.

See, this is why I kinda grew to dislike it.
Since discord, this forum is so inactive, despite people searching online for help. Neither the "Threadmaster", nor former inhabitants, nor popular and knowledgeable roy players are visiting it, because they enjoy the good but secluded life in it, instead of taking time into a maybe not as much fun/flexible way of communication, but atleast openly and easy to access form.

Still miss MasonEliwood.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Since discord, this forum is so inactive, despite people searching online for help. Neither the "Threadmaster", nor former inhabitants, nor popular and knowledgeable roy players are visiting it, because they enjoy the good but secluded life in it, instead of taking time into a maybe not as much fun/flexible way of communication, but atleast openly and easy to access form.

Still miss MasonEliwood.
The Discord is not secluded, literally anyone can join it at any time. There is a public link that is 100% available all the time on http://s4.smashcords.com/roy and all information is publicly accessible to anyone, which is why it has 1400+ members (not everyone in there mains Roy lol, some are just there for information, or just to lurk). Both the community on Skype (which eventually moved to Discord) and this community co-existed in the early days, as a reminder.

This sub-forum died, the Discord lived, but those two events happened independently of each other. Some of the other Roys straight up told me they didn't like hanging out here because they didn't like the atmosphere, back when it was active. Some said they didn't like how much work it was to keep up with conversation here. I personally keep track of both, and in the early days I attempted to bring activity back here by cross advertising planned events on the boards, but there was an extreme lack of interest in playing here, so I stopped trying. Not sure what else could be done to make these boards living, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
The Discord is not secluded, literally anyone can join it at any time. There is a public link that is 100% available all the time on http://s4.smashcords.com/roy and all information is publicly accessible to anyone, which is why it has 1400+ members (not everyone in there mains Roy lol, some are just there for information, or just to lurk). Both the community on Skype (which eventually moved to Discord) and this community co-existed in the early days, as a reminder.

This sub-forum died, the Discord lived, but those two events happened independently of each other. Some of the other Roys straight up told me they didn't like hanging out here because they didn't like the atmosphere, back when it was active. Some said they didn't like how much work it was to keep up with conversation here. I personally keep track of both, and in the early days I attempted to bring activity back here by cross advertising planned events on the boards, but there was an extreme lack of interest in playing here, so I stopped trying. Not sure what else could be done to make these boards living, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Missing the point of my statement, really.
Why having all of Smashboards, if it can be... just a Discord under server? People who are socialy awkward, or want to study the behaviour or new found stuff have it easier to scroll through forums, rather than joining a discord.
It's just inheritly easier to explore and research, and I just feel that everything gets left behind on the forums.

Socially, I agree. Discord is way better, but just for the sheer viability of research and understanding how it came to the conclusion, that x is better than y in the circumstance of z. Since I myself am very very doubting the ability of discord saving multible terrabyte of posting and value info at the same time.

I just happened to get a bit more vocal in a social forum.
Sorry if I am a bit ranting, may just be a bit irl leaking into my mindset, really. I am not against discord at all, I just think it's sad, to see smashboards itself become more irrelevant.

Also! Why not add the discord towards the start-post?

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Missing the point of my statement, really.
Why having all of Smashboards, if it can be... just a Discord under server? People who are socialy awkward, or want to study the behaviour or new found stuff have it easier to scroll through forums, rather than joining a discord.
It's just inheritly easier to explore and research, and I just feel that everything gets left behind on the forums.

Socially, I agree. Discord is way better, but just for the sheer viability of research and understanding how it came to the conclusion, that x is better than y in the circumstance of z. Since I myself am very very doubting the ability of discord saving multible terrabyte of posting and value info at the same time.

I just happened to get a bit more vocal in a social forum.
Sorry if I am a bit ranting, may just be a bit irl leaking into my mindset, really. I am not against discord at all, I just think it's sad, to see smashboards itself become more irrelevant.

Also! Why not add the discord towards the start-post?
I apologize if I came off as harsh myself. Most character discords have found ways to ensure that resources and knowledge isn't lost. For example, we have #resources channels where people post tech findings, and all conversation and whatnot is kept in the metagame, so it's easier to find research points. I sense that not many people will scroll through the back posts of a match-up discussion, Q&A, or Metagame thread here on smashboards tbh, or other such threads, so that doesn't seem much different from match-up channels where posting is a lot smoother. Also, Discord now has search enabled, so you can hit ctrl+f in a channel and search for something if you want to search the back logs. And yes, every post in every channel is saved, all of the thousands of them. Important posts can also be pinned in channels. Important points made in the community have also been collected on match-up surveys and saved as resource documents, which I've been linking in the MU thread here on smashboards. We have quite a few resource compilation guides made at this point, in order to help share and spread knowledge. Therefore, things are not lost as often as people might think.

On top of that, you have the voice channels. I legit just sat with a friend in the Marcina discord voice channel for a long time while he did a let's play of Kingdom Hearts 2, just for the fun, and I like to voice with other players as I play them, which really enhances playing friendlies with people online.

Sadly, on the other hand, it doesn't seem like anyone has had much interest in helping build or maintain this smashboards sub-forum community at all. The forum moderator left, the thread owner for this thread has left, most of the regulars all left, and all attempts to bring activity back here have failed due to lack of interest. Can't breathe life into somewhere if no one is interested in doing so, it feels like.

As for adding a link to the discord to the main post of this thread, the thread owner explicitly stated, before he left, that he was against it, and I respect his wishes. The number of new joins to the discord that come from smashboards is minuscule anyways, most find their way into the discord from other places at this point, so it doesn't much matter, and there's an add thread floating around this forum where people can join from if they wish to.

Anywho, I'll drop that topic now, since I feel like I've made the points that I needed to make.

---

On a more light-hearted note, with Fire Emblem Heroes being a thing, we get some pretty zany fanart, including These pictures of Spring Roy, which is pretty fun. :)

I also photoshopped this picture as a joke on April Fools for someone on my twitter, Spring Lilina lmao.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Still miss MasonEliwood.
Jez thanks ._.

I still try to keep up the activity....

It hasn't gone well so far.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Hello everyone i have returned from a long absence. I also finally bought an english Fire Emblem 6 cartridge and have been playing it. I have missed this thread and everyone who i used to talk to all the time. How is everyone.
Edit- What there is a roy discord now? How long have i been gone?

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello everyone i have returned from a long absence. I also finally bought an english Fire Emblem 6 cartridge and have been playing it. I have missed this thread and everyone who i used to talk to all the time. How is everyone.
Edit- What there is a roy discord now? How long have i been gone?
The Discord has been around approximately as long as Roy has been released in Smash 4. It started the day before Roy was released as DLC. It's a different community in many ways, but still Roy mains.

Jez thanks ._.

I still try to keep up the activity....

It hasn't gone well so far.

Yeah, I know what you mean lol. You and I are the only ones that never left, I think? A few came back for short spurts here and there, but you and I were the only ones that have been checking in consistently.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah, I know what you mean lol. You and I are the only ones that never left, I think? A few came back for short spurts here and there, but you and I were the only ones that have been checking in consistently.
Seems to be the case for me in most Threads.

Maybe I should consider joining the discords

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Well, thats quite some fair arguments. It seems I haven't been with discord since long, as I really didn't knew quite a few function of those did excist.

On a side note... well, I can fully understand why Forums just get less and less visited. Instant transmission, and abundance of information and space (like, terrabytes barely cost stuff anymore).
I just think it's sad to see it go.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
The Falcon MU is a pretty volatile one. Both characters can blow the other character up with pretty damaging combos. You'll want to DI out a lot on Falcon's combos, as you'll want to get to the ledge to land. I've personally found it's best to get away horizontally than it is to try and get away vertically.

Falcon's amazing burst options, in particular his dash grab and dash attack, set up a lot of openings for him, so you have to be careful not to commit in burst range. Also, he'll tend to cover is laggier options with jab, has it comes out so fast, so that makes an excellent "get-off-me" tool for him. Many Falcons will mix up between completing the full 3 hit combo and doing jab > grab to try and stop you from just shielding the whole thing and punishing. If he does complete the full 3 jab combo, the endlag is high enough that you can actually drop shield and punish with an fsmash.

As Roy, you can make it hard for Falcon to get in, as our options are disjointed, but you can't just spam nair and expect that to wall him out, as he has that excellent dash grab to punish if you whiff it when he's too close. But mixing between movement, jab, ftilt, nair, uair, and fair, you can make it hard for him to get in, and when you get a solid poke on him, you can put big damage on him with Roy combos. Here's the community guide for optimal combos that was created by Junior Z, and it's a good starting place for practicing Roy combos. Captain Falcon is in the heavyweights category there.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
What about the Puff?
Idk, for some reason Puff is literally the hardest match up for me against any character is use.

Seriously, i don't wtf to do against her and a everything i normal do doesn't work. It's especially annoying that i can't edgegurad her because of that's right she'll just jump back and air dodge anything i throw at her

Literally my most hated character next to wario.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I have a friend who mains Puff, so I can offer some general advice against her.

Basically, you'll want to be patient. For the most part, you'll only be able to get single hits on her, especially as her percent goes up. She's super light, super floaty, and has ridiculous air speed, I've had her pop out of Ike's jab combo before, and his normally super reliable Up/Down throw combos stop working after 30%(or somewhere around there). Point is, the key to beating Puff is patience. Space her out and play some intense footsies, get your pokes and punishes in when you can, don't be too aggressive, and avoid challenging her in the air (they will have to land sometime) If you can keep that up, you will eventually get the KO. Sorry I can't offer more specific advice, I'm mostly a lurker who plays Roy for funsies.

tl;dr play lame win game

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Who would be Roy's easiest match up?

Zelda or Ganon?

Personally, I think his best matchup is against Little Mac just because mac's very suscepible to throw combos and roy's Jab followups compared to the rest of the cast. Definetly not a free MU however.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I have a friend who mains Puff, so I can offer some general advice against her.

Basically, you'll want to be patient. For the most part, you'll only be able to get single hits on her, especially as her percent goes up. She's super light, super floaty, and has ridiculous air speed, I've had her pop out of Ike's jab combo before, and his normally super reliable Up/Down throw combos stop working after 30%(or somewhere around there). Point is, the key to beating Puff is patience. Space her out and play some intense footsies, get your pokes and punishes in when you can, don't be too aggressive, and avoid challenging her in the air (they will have to land sometime) If you can keep that up, you will eventually get the KO. Sorry I can't offer more specific advice, I'm mostly a lurker who plays Roy for funsies.

tl;dr play lame win game
Yo, do you still use ike? Last I remember before I left you were trying to transition to 100% Mewtwo. I'm almost done with the semester, and I'm hoping to fiend this summer, if you'll be at Xanadu then. \o/

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Yo, do you still use ike? Last I remember before I left you were trying to transition to 100% Mewtwo. I'm almost done with the semester, and I'm hoping to fiend this summer, if you'll be at Xanadu then. \o/
Awesome! It'll be cool to hang out with you again. When does the semester end for you? And are you going to be at Glitch?

Anyway, yes I still play Ike, but it's something like 80:20 in Mewtwo's favor at this point. Ike is reserved for a handful of match ups I'm not comfortable with Mewtwo in (mainly heavies, though Puff is one of those match ups too)

Top Bottom