• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Roy Patch Discussion (current patch: 1.1.5)

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Sheik nerfs are super huge for us, means that we won't be gimped nearly as hard and can kill a lot easier

edit: what's our worst matchup now? any changes?
Among our worst MUs might be something like defensive Diddy, at this point. Maybe some of the characters that outrange us, like DK. That's just my opinion at this point though.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
In your guys' opinion, what do you think is the number one thing holding back Roy at this point in time? I've heard things from "he's trash" to "middle to high tier but unrepped". Personally, I think it's a mix of rep plus clear limitations such as shield safety and grab reward. I don't think he's terrible, however.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
In your guys' opinion, what do you think is the number one thing holding back Roy at this point in time? I've heard things from "he's trash" to "middle to high tier but unrepped". Personally, I think it's a mix of rep plus clear limitations such as shield safety and grab reward. I don't think he's terrible, however.
Not sure if this question is relevant to this thread, but I'll answer anyways. I feel like the main thing holding Roy back is that we, the people most dedicated to maining him, are still fairly new to the game, and are building player fundamentals as well as trying to innovate with our character, which makes meta development move more slowly. He does not have the same level of top level representation at this point in time that some of the other characters enjoy, so we must continue to build. I think we'll get there, though. Just need a bit more time. :)

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
His big problem is that his defensive options are lackluster. His fastest move is frame 5 so he has a lot of trouble with opponents that spam short hop aerials right in face. He lacks an amazing "get off me" move, and this gives him a hard time vs characters like Sheik, Diddy Kong, and occasionally Sonic. Furthermore, many characters can take advantage of his fall speed to punish him harshly.

However this is offset by Roys amazingly good ledge game and offensive pressure. It can be hard to get out of Roys pressure once it gets going. There is an important distinction between going "in" and staying offensive. You want to keep your opponent just at the edge of your range until you open them up, then you go in for grabs and sweetspots. Most people assume Roys design means he needs to be right in the opponents face all the time, which is actually detrimental and leads to people thinking his design is inherently flawed and that he's bad.

These are the main things holding him back right now.

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
Yeah, I'm really scared about nerfs. Most of the people complaining probably don't realize there's barely any way to reliably land an F-Smash, anyway. I'm not quitting maining Roy if he's nerfed pretty badly though, I'll just focus on my Sheik a little more again. Unless she's nerfed as well. Still keeping my hopes up for that Jigglypuff buff. That'll probably never happen.
Holy smokes, this kid saw the future

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
His big problem is that his defensive options are lackluster. His fastest move is frame 5 so he has a lot of trouble with opponents that spam short hop aerials right in face. He lacks an amazing "get off me" move, and this gives him a hard time vs characters like Sheik, Diddy Kong, and occasionally Sonic. Furthermore, many characters can take advantage of his fall speed to punish him harshly.

However this is offset by Roys amazingly good ledge game and offensive pressure. It can be hard to get out of Roys pressure once it gets going. There is an important distinction between going "in" and staying offensive. You want to keep your opponent just at the edge of your range until you open them up, then you go in for grabs and sweetspots. Most people assume Roys design means he needs to be right in the opponents face all the time, which is actually detrimental and leads to people thinking his design is inherently flawed and that he's bad.

These are the main things holding him back right now.
Boy oh boy how I can attest to this! Sometimes this makes very skilled dittos I meet feel like Roy can possess pretty terrifying kind of pressure if he keeps it on. It's all on the moment's and judgement more which keeps your opponent on toes while you look for the openings.

Top Bottom