• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Roy Patch Discussion (current patch: 1.1.5)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Confirmed Changes -- 1.1.5
  • None

Credit: official patch notes

~Previous Changes~

Confirmed Changes -- 1.1.4
  • Nair landing lag reduced: 13f --> 11f
  • Fair Landing Lag: 15f --> 13f
  • Uair Landing Lag: 16f --> 14f
  • Bair Landing Lag: 19f --> 16f
  • Dair Landing Lag: 28f --> 23f
  • Double-Edge Dance Startup Duration: 7f --> 6f
    • Double-Edge Dance Total Ground/Air Duration: 42/32f --> 41/31f
Confirmed Changes -- 1.1.3
  • None

Time to revive this thread, in anticipation of the (potential) upcoming ****fest on Wednesday.

Confirmed Changes (http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/diff/144-to-something/roy)
  • Universal changes to the shieldstun formula (Patch notes thread)
  • Backward roll and air dodge
    • Invulnerability(?) reduced by 1 frame
  • Tech get-up attack
    • Shield damage reduced to 8% (global change)

Disconfirmed (please don't post these)
  • None as yet
Confirmed Changes (http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/diff/128-to-144/roy)
  • Blazer (Up special)
    • Has additional hitboxes, with reduced weight-based knockback (details to be confirmed, apparently the Jigglypuff rage-induced 1HKO is no longer possible)
      • Original hitboxes are unchanged
  • Spot dodge
    • First vulnerable frame 19 -> 18
  • Forward and backward roll
    • First vulnerable frame 20 -> 19

Disconfirmed (please don't post these)
  • Any and all frame data changes not connected to spot-dodges/rolls

Last edited by a moderator:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I sincerely hope he doesn't really get much changes, he's fine as he is. Though with all the people complaining about Fsmash I would be too suprised if it got nerfed :c

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely hope he doesn't really get much changes, he's fine as he is. Though with all the people complaining about Fsmash I would be too suprised if it got nerfed :c
Yeah, I'm really scared about nerfs. Most of the people complaining probably don't realize there's barely any way to reliably land an F-Smash, anyway. I'm not quitting maining Roy if he's nerfed pretty badly though, I'll just focus on my Sheik a little more again. Unless she's nerfed as well. Still keeping my hopes up for that Jigglypuff buff. That'll probably never happen.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So it's finally happening... Even if Roy gets no changes, at least we can use this thread for next time like you said.

$5 he's getting an Fsmash nerf of some kind tho.

Also, the Competitive Discussion boards usually has a general patch thread for updates, so be sure to check it out for potential changes (or not) on every character when the update happens.

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Fsmash is the only thing I can them nerfing, outside of that Roy is perfectly fine.

I only hope they give flare blade a hitbox on the overhead slash not just the explosion.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Yeah, I'm really scared about nerfs. Most of the people complaining probably don't realize there's barely any way to reliably land an F-Smash, anyway. I'm not quitting maining Roy if he's nerfed pretty badly though, I'll just focus on my Sheik a little more again. Unless she's nerfed as well. Still keeping my hopes up for that Jigglypuff buff. That'll probably never happen.
Exactly, there only getting hit by that Fsmash if they do something stupid! Im not quitting Roy since I've already put 50 hours into him <.<

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Since the first time i played Roy, i could smell the nerfs, his F-smash is most likely getting nerfed and maybe a throw or adding lag to some good move.
If people rant a lot, it gets nerfed (Greninja, Little mac, Link, Diddy, etc).
Let's just hope our boy doesn't get murdered

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Since the first time i played Roy, i could smell the nerfs, his F-smash is most likely getting nerfed and maybe a throw or adding lag to some good move.
If people rant a lot, it gets nerfed (Greninja, Little mac, Link, Diddy, etc).
Let's just hope our boy doesn't get murdered
I also believe they he'll get some nerfs here and there, mostly because he kills extremely easy on for glory, and thats usually from where they take notes for patches(or atleast thats what I read)

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Honestly i have not even bothered with Roy for more than 2 hours and I bought him on release day xD Since then i knew some sort of nerf was coming, so i was weary of really getting acquainted with Him.

I can't see Fsmash being nerfed because that would be really dumb . you can only land it on scrubs or Lag. Or so it seems. I can see Move ending Lag increases, and maybe more end lag on Neutral B? And maybe take out the 'land cancel' on Fair. :/

Whatever comes i'll be sure to start working on him immediately ;3

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, on the bright side most characters get nerfs and buffs in certain areas if changes do happen. I can't really see them nerfing Roy a ton without some sort of compromise, even if it happens later on (and yes, I do think Roy will need a few buffs in order to keep up with the rest of the cast and do a better job at what he's suppose to do).

I don't know if this pessimism about his potential nerfs is a good or bad thing, but at least we're bracing ourselves. Whatever happens, happens though. We'll just have to make do with what we're given.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Did they mention the new update has balance patch?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
They didn't, but did they ever, before?
April direct when they released Mewtwo, they did,didn't they?
Kind of weird that they didn't say it will when they release the update for Ryu,Lucas and Roy...

This isn't a update that will change anything to the characters, they just simply add new contents. I really hope this won't be a balance patch because it will kill your replays. I only play 3DS version and I'm not sure if 3DS replays can also be uploaded to Youtube.

If it is balance patch, I hope they won't nerf Roy.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i'd be more worried about :4marth: getting an fsmash nerf. he actually has setups into it.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
i'd be more worried about :4marth: getting an fsmash nerf. he actually has setups into it.
I really doubt about marth getting a Nerf, he could even have some frame buffs in my opinion, and his sweet spot is way harder to hit than Roy's

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I really doubt about marth getting a Nerf, he could even have some frame buffs in my opinion, and his sweet spot is way harder to hit than Roy's
Really? I found his Fsmash a bit too quick...

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Really? I found his Fsmash a bit too quick...
it may come out fast, but still has a very punishable ending lag, sometimes even if they shield a tipper, his Fsmash needs to be quick or else getting a tipper will be even harder.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
it may come out fast, but still has a very punishable ending lag, sometimes even if they shield a tipper, his Fsmash needs to be quick or else getting a tipper will be even harder.
Yeah... but my reaction just can't catch up my brother's roll. He is a roll spamer, after he Fsmash, if he didn't KO me out, he rolls right before I try to grab him. He is really an annoying Marth player. On ground he mostly just roll dodge,roll dodge to the edge and wait for me to hit him and then I can't react and grabbed and then throw out of the stage. He does have a good air game though.

Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Yeah... but my reaction just can't catch up my brother's roll. He is a roll spamer, after he Fsmash, if he didn't KO me out, he rolls right before I try to grab him. He is really an annoying Marth player. On ground he mostly just roll dodge,roll dodge to the edge and wait for me to hit him and then I can't react and grabbed and then throw out of the stage. He does have a good air game though.
If you're not a slow character you can just follow his roll and punish him.

And something more on topic, Roy's up B must be nerfed, that thing kills quite early.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If you're not a slow character you can just follow his roll and punish him.

And something more on topic, Roy's up B must be nerfed, that thing kills quite early.
I use Mario, Rosalina, and Shulk mostly. Mario is not a fast or slow character...

Really? I don't really think so, it's recovery height should buff a bit in my opinion.

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
If Roy get nerfed prepare your bodies to play a high low tier char hereinafter :bluejump:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
I'd like to see Roy's dair to be buffed a little bit

Last edited:

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
April direct when they released Mewtwo, they did,didn't they?
Kind of weird that they didn't say it will when they release the update for Ryu,Lucas and Roy...

This isn't a update that will change anything to the characters, they just simply add new contents. I really hope this won't be a balance patch because it will kill your replays. I only play 3DS version and I'm not sure if 3DS replays can also be uploaded to Youtube.

If it is balance patch, I hope they won't nerf Roy.
i also play only on the 3DS but they never mentioned the youtube feature for 3DS, the pretty much forgot about the 3ds version just adding the DLC's and patches

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Personally, I am indifferent to Roy's potential nerfs. It would help to stop the complaints of him being "OP"; however, I think it would harm his viability from a competitive standpoint as well.

Flare Blade: Its most prominent feature is its very low end lag. Increasing the end lag would, in my opinion, render it almost useless, specifically taking away its mix-up potential. It already lacks the swinging hitbox from Melee; furthermore, it cannot be used for the same purpose as Ike's Eruption as its hitbox does not extend below the stage to hit low recoveries.

Blazer: A powerful OoS option that could end stocks at around 100%, or even earlier with rage. It is already very risky to use as opponents can punish it when they see it coming. Nerfing it would take away the reward that compensates for its risk.

F-air: It has good IASA frames, allowing Roy to quickly act of out it. This attack is already worse than Marth's in terms of start-up and range. Also, it is unsafe as an approach and is overshadowed by N-air; no longer being able to jump out of it would damage it greatly. I think it is good Roy has at least one aerial with some form of cancelability as he lacks SH auto-cancels on all of his aerials. Thankfully, low landing lag N-air exists as well.

F-smash: The most infamous move in Roy's arsenal and arguably the one that generated the most attention for nerfs. It has Marth levels of speed and hits almost as hard as Ike's; 21% damage as opposed as Ike's 22%. It is absurdly powerful, but only when the opponent is in close range. Since the move has three different hiboxes, with two of them being sweet-spots, the opponent does not even have to be too close to be hit by the strong hitbox. I would not mind a damage nerf of 1 or 2 percent for this attack. It would still at least be very powerful.

I'd like to see Roy's dair to be buffed a little bit
How do you personally want his D-air buffed? I ask this because I use Ike, and both characters share the same animation for D-air.

Ike's D-air is still pretty lackluster the way it is, losing its lingering frames and its easy meteor hitbox from SSBB. I just want the lingering hitbox back.

^-^

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I really hope they make him terrible then I'd enjoy playing him, right now he's just way to good
I love statements like this. "I'm such a hipster, I only play bad characters. I hope they make my character bad."

If you really wanna handicap yourself, play without using powerful moves or something.

Last edited:

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I love statements like this. "I'm such a hipster, I only play bad characters. I hope they make my character bad."

If you really wanna handicap yourself, play without using powerful moves or something.
I already do this too, I just tell people I main Roy for the consistency but I only do him in first round then I go either Marth/Lucina or Falco

Plus I play Roy in melee i know a lot about handicapping. :p

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
How do you personally want his D-air buffed? I ask this because I use Ike, and both characters share the same animation for D-air.

Ike's D-air is still pretty lackluster the way it is, losing its lingering frames and its easy meteor hitbox from SSBB. I just want the lingering hitbox back.

^-^
Roy's is considerably worse for a number of reasons. Both come out on the same frame and deal the same damage at the sweetspot but Roy's DAir sourspots are awful, whereas Ike's sourspot is solid. Ike's sourspot DAir is able to kill horizontally and jab lock at low percents. Roy's can't do either of those. Furthermore, Roy's DAir has more landing lag and a worse autocancel window which sucks on a character with faster fall speed.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Roy's is considerably worse for a number of reasons. Both come out on the same frame and deal the same damage at the sweetspot but Roy's DAir sourspots are awful, whereas Ike's sourspot is solid. Ike's sourspot DAir is able to kill horizontally and jab lock at low percents. Roy's can't do either of those. Furthermore, Roy's DAir has more landing lag and a worse autocancel window which sucks on a character with faster fall speed.
Seriously though, Sourspotted Dair doesn't kill until 190% on Ganondorf, You could litteraly use any move not named Jab or Dtilt and you would be 10x safer, since going for tha move is already a huge risk. Also what exactly is the autocancel window for that move? Do I have to double jump.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Seriously though, Sourspotted Dair doesn't kill until 190% on Ganondorf, You could litteraly use any move not named Jab or Dtilt and you would be 10x safer, since going for tha move is already a huge risk. Also what exactly is the autocancel window for that move? Do I have to double jump.
Autocancels frame 55 so yes you do need to double jump.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
So, just got my hands on the patch. Nothing about Roy seems to be majorly changed so far, but there might be something small that I'm missing.

But real talk, Robin's d-throw is legit now.

Top Bottom