• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Haters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
We have seen the light, that's why we are defending him :) .

I was just pointing out one thing. In an attempt to end this topic roy has:

Worse recovery: he falls like a rock after > b

Range is destroyed by sweetspotting at center of blade

faster falling speed - this give roy worse recovery, and he can't fit mant aerials in off the ground

cant SHDF - marth is very good with this, the fair is a beastly move

All moves must be sweetspotted - this is what really turned me off here. All his moves when I play end up having no knockback, and almost no damage.

Worse d tilt = d tilt is marth's great CCC. It fast, good for opponents that run at you, and his best edgeguarder. Roy's sends them straight up, which could set up for an f smash, but that wouldn't work well.

Worse jumping - self explanatory

worse running speed - self explanatory

worse wavedash - self explanatory

can't perform a nair or two fairs off the ledge like marth

slower attacking speed - self explanatory

worse dair spike - marth's dair is one of the best spikes in the game, roy's is almost impossible to spike with.

worse taunt - doesn't matter much

laggier moves - self explanatory

I think that about sums it up.
I'm assuming all this is compared to Marth. Note that this is only my OPINION.

Recovery: But that's why you do more than one > B :p .

Range: Is it that bad to get close to your opponent?

Falling speed - He falls as fast as I would want a character to do. Marth falls alot slower, true, but I dislike him partially because of that.

Can't SHDF - Not sure what it is, no comment.

All moves must be sweetspotted - It isn't hard to sweetspot, unless you try to play Roy like Marth.

Worse d tilt - It works well with F smash after d tilt by my own experience.

Jumping - I like Roys' jumping better, mainly because of his falling speed.

Running speed - Hmm.. I might agree with you on this one :p .

Wavedash - Never uses it, no comment.

Can't perform a nair or two fairs off the ledge - For edgeguarding? Flare blade is better for that.

Slower attacking speed - But more knockback, tokan gokan.

Worse dair spike - Works fine without sweetspot (but it doesn't spike then of course.)

Worse taunt - Doesn't matter, as you said.

Laggier moves - I never notice lag with anyone, no comment.

Aesir

Smash Master
you fall like a rock, A very big rock.

Yes very bad, especially if you're roy, he's light and slow.

Falling speed - He falls as fast as I would want a character to do. Marth falls alot slower, true, but I dislike him partially because of that.
So you like to be combo'd to hell? >_>

Can't SHDF - Not sure what it is, no comment
Short hop double fair.

All moves must be sweetspotted - It isn't hard to sweetspot, unless you try to play Roy like Marth.
You have to get close to them in order to sweet spot it thats the problem.

Because it sucks.

Marth bas more knock back.

>_> his lag is very noticable.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Not to mention most of Marth's attacks do more damage, especially A attacks.

Also, Marth's edgeguarding options are much better. Compared to Roy's B, Marth's forward smash has much more range and speed, his aerials give him much more flexibility, and he can spike. Roy's aerials aren't as good for edgeguarding as Marth's since Roy can't risk going off the stage. His forward smash will also probably not sweetspot as often as Marth's when used for edgeguarding. Also, if you wait for your opponent to come into sweetspotting range with Roy, chances are, they'll hit the ground before the attack connects, giving him/her back the second jump.

However, Roy does outshine Marth in one aspect--his faster falling speed allows for quicker SHFFLs, although you still can't combo as well as Marth and Roy's aerials aren't as good.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
What i dont understand is why Roy has such die hard fans while marth has none, when clearly Marth > Roy. What is it about Roy that makes ppl like him so much? >_>

greenblob

Smash Lord
What i dont understand is why Roy has such die hard fans while marth has none, when clearly Marth > Roy. What is it about Roy that makes ppl like him so much? >_>
The fourth law of competitive gaming: When a noob sees a cool-looking character that does well in the metagame, that character is labeled "strong." When he sees a weak-looking character that does well in the metagame, that character is labeled as "cheap." When he sees a cool-looking character that isn't very well regarded and doesn't do well in the metagame, that character is labeled as "underappreciated" or "under-recognized."

Marth is appreciated, so no one goes "ZOMG MARTH R TEH AWESOME"--everyone knows this. He falls under the "cool looking character that does well in the metagame."

Roy fanboys claim that Roy is underappreciated since he falls under the "cool looking character that is considered to be bad in the metagame." Now multiply this by 1000 since Roy has "t3h ph1r3" and is very low on the tier list.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace

Can't perform a nair or two fairs off the ledge - For edgeguarding? Flare blade is better for that.

Worse dair spike - Works fine without sweetspot (but it doesn't spike then of course.)

yes, that is your opinion. and your opinion is wrong. not common for a noob with only 4 posts. and before you say "dont assume i am a noob because i have 4 posts. play me and my friends and we'll own you", the "wavedash-never uses it, no comment" part of your post proves your noobiness. do you even know what a wavedash is?

Aesir

Smash Master
I like to point out that snipertango is a real man, he neg repped me saying
this site is not just for tourneys-snipertango
Now what makes this so wonderful is, he left his name. like true man. but he is wrong at the same time

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
However, you won't see a Roy winning a pro tournament.
People need to learn how the tier list works. In a race, a cyclist may be able beat a car driven by a 2-year-old. A 5-year-old on a tricycle will probably beat another 5-year-old in a car. However, you won't see any bicycles or tricycles winning international car races. Just because a Roy beat a Marth somewhere or a Roy came out on top at a local tourney doesn't mean that the tier list is wrong or that it doesn't exist. Until you can go to a tournament comparable to MLG/FC/0C2/etc. and win with Roy or at least beat a few pros who are using top/high/mid tier characters, Roy will remain at low tier.

I think this also factors in as well:
The fourth law of competitive gaming: When a noob sees a cool-looking character that does well in the metagame, that character is labeled "strong." When he sees a weak-looking character that does well in the metagame, that character is labeled as "cheap." When he sees a cool-looking character that isn't very well regarded and doesn't do well in the metagame, that character is labeled as "underappreciated" or "under-recognized."
Why are people still discussing? The thread already ended with this post

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Clearly not, if you'd seen the light you'd know Marth was better.
But... but... why?
Because alot of people are going to let you just d-tilt => Fmash them... sure......
Why wouldn't you use it??
No it isn't, two fairs with Marth allows you to put your opponent further from the stage, and Flare Blade well... it just isn't that great of a move.
Do you have your eyes closed while playing?

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
has anyone here noticed that all the roy fanboys all have under 10 posts? that is why i dont like roy. roy is for noobs. again i agree with nj. also with lemon man. maybe these noobs shall never learn..

snipertango

Smash Cadet
ugh this is a never ending circle. No matter what anyone says this wont end. It just comes down to preference. Some like marth some like roy. It just wont end. Stat wise marth is better. What it boils down to to say that youre good with roy is if you know how to make up for his weakneses. you have to study other players and characters to know exactly where they will land what they can do and from what distance. Once you learn this like i have you can beat every character with a handicap easily. As for my japanese roomate i havent been able to beat him. On two statements. 1)hes japanese it seems like everyfighting game he touches hes good at =\ 2)his skills are just ****ing uber. i just know how to make up for roy's weaknesses cause a tournament player taught me different styles. But either way stat wise marth is better its a fact. So i say just be done with this already. Yes i play roy only, but yet we just have to admit at some point as roy players that marth is better. Roy isnt about getting close to your opponent right away. You have to wait for the opportunity to do damage. But with the hardcore facts stated marth>roy. its all opinion and fact.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
However, Roy does outshine Marth in one aspect--his faster falling speed allows for quicker SHFFLs, although you still can't combo as well as Marth and Roy's aerials aren't as good.
But what about t3h litezor Counter? :laugh:

@ McScruff:

Wow. So having less posts means you're a noob? Wow... just wow.

greenblob

Smash Lord
But what about t3h litezor Counter? :laugh:

@ McScruff:

Wow. So having less posts means you're a noob? Wow... just wow.
Counter isn't big enough of a factor in competitive play. You might as well say Roy's fully charged B is stronger than Marth's fully charged B. You might see it once in a while, but it virtually never happens.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Can we just say [/thread] now?

This is just going nowhere lol. No matter how many valid arguments we put forward about Marth's superior abilities.

marthsword

Smash Ace

This is crazy.

Recovery: what I mean is after > b, he falls a lot, where as marth does not, giving him a much worse recovery.

Range: You don't get it. His range is cut in half due to the sweetspot, making it about as long as y. link's.

Falling speed: his relatively fast falling speed handy caps him, because he can't fit many aerials into a jump, and he has much worse recovery.

SHDF (short hop double fair) is a great ability. Roy can't do it.

Sweetspotting: with marth you never have to worry about sweetspotting, with roy you do.

d tilt: It's much worse. Marth's is one of the best d tilt's/edgeguarder in the game. Also, a great CCC.

Jumping: How?

Running speed: Even you agreed.

WD: never uses it? :laugh:

Can't perform nair or 2 fairs off ledge - edgeguarding? What? Im talking about ledge hopped aerials coming on the ledge.

slower attacking speed: doesn't really have more knockback

worse dair spike: NEO and Azen have both stated it's useless.

Worse Taunt: no comment

Laggier moves: they are laggy.

Why did you even challenge me? I was right, the thread ended right there.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Counter isn't big enough of a factor in competitive play. You might as well say Roy's fully charged B is stronger than Marth's fully charged B. You might see it once in a while, but it virtually never happens.
It was a joke... :psycho:

Do people on these forums not get sarcasm/irony/jokes? :dizzy:

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Roy. I recognize whole-heartedly that Marth is better than Roy. No matter how many million ways you disect it..it's true. There's no arguement. While Roy has some points that are better than Marth's, the fact remains that playing this game, on it's highest levels of play, Marth is wayyyy better than Roy.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
yes, that is your opinion. and your opinion is wrong. not common for a noob with only 4 posts. and before you say "dont assume i am a noob because i have 4 posts. play me and my friends and we'll own you", the "wavedash-never uses it, no comment" part of your post proves your noobiness. do you even know what a wavedash is?
An opinion can't be wrong, since that is only what it is, an opinion.
Wikipedia]An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment said:
But... but... why?[/COLOR]
*jumps* Weeeee! Can I get down now?? No?! **** gravity and my ridicusly slow falling speed! - Marth scenario.

*jumps*Hah! Eat this! *lands, kills(hopefully :p )*- Roy scenario

Because alot of people are going to let you just d-tilt => Fmash them... sure......
No, but that's why you get good, so you can do it anyway :p .

Why wouldn't you use it??
Simply because I don't like it that much.

No it isn't, two fairs with Marth allows you to put your opponent further from the stage, and Flare Blade well... it just isn't that great of a move.
Not longer than a fully charged FB :cool: . It's possible if it's a 1-on-1 since no one else will be disturbing the charge(and the opponent off the stage).

Do you have your eyes closed while playing?
No, but I'm not thinking "OMG I falled down, now I jave xx frames of lagg!11!1 I'm DOOOOmed." Not saying that you do.. I just play and let it flow, if I would be thinking about all the lag I wouldn't have time to actually play.

This is crazy.

Recovery: what I mean is after > b, he falls a lot, where as marth does not, giving him a much worse recovery.

Range: You don't get it. His range is cut in half due to the sweetspot, making it about as long as y. link's.

Falling speed: his relatively fast falling speed handy caps him, because he can't fit many aerials into a jump, and he has much worse recovery.

SHDF (short hop double fair) is a great ability. Roy can't do it.

Sweetspotting: with marth you never have to worry about sweetspotting, with roy you do.

d tilt: It's much worse. Marth's is one of the best d tilt's/edgeguarder in the game. Also, a great CCC.

Jumping: How?

Running speed: Even you agreed.

WD: never uses it? :laugh:

Can't perform nair or 2 fairs off ledge - edgeguarding? What? Im talking about ledge hopped aerials coming on the ledge.

slower attacking speed: doesn't really have more knockback

worse dair spike: NEO and Azen have both stated it's useless.

Worse Taunt: no comment

Laggier moves: they are laggy.

Why did you even challenge me? I was right, the thread ended right there.
Very crazy, but fun.

Recovery: If you do it repeatedly you won't fall alot. I don't know how you define "alot" in this case, but it isn't alot to me.

Range: Yeah it's shorter, but I'm not having any problems with it.

Falling speed: Roy isn't very good in the air, but that's why you keep him to the ground.

SHDF (short hop double fair): Same here, Roy is a more ground based character.

Sweetspotting: Not if you always try to get close. Banzai!

Jumping: Se example above.

WD: Yep.

Can't perform nair or 2 fairs off ledge - Marth=Good in the air Roy= Not so good in the air, keep him to the ground more.

Slower attacking speed: It really do seems like it when I play. It feels like it anyway, and it's enough for me.

Worse dair spike: NEO and/Azen have both stated it's useless.

Laggier moves: But I concentrate on playing, not thinking of lag.

Why did I even challenge you: Because Roy has a right to an lawyer :p .

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
*Laughing out loud*
Duker, just stop. It's funny how you used NEO and Azen as examples since those to players say that Roy sucks and Marth is way better (especially NEO, who is the best Roy player).

Anyways, I think that you should have some competitive experience before posting as if you knew what you were talking about. I mean, you beat lvl 9 computers and your baby sister with Roy, yahoo. Now try whipping out your Roy against competitive players in a tournament.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
An opinion can't be wrong, since that is only what it is, an opinion.

So I must be a n00b just because I have 4 posts? lol... I'm a newb in that case, if you got to call me something.

I know what WD is, and how to do it, and I can do it, but I don't like it that much. Not everyone uses it y'know.

I only have 4 posts because I only post to defend Roy. This is the only Forum-part I visit.

*jumps* Weeeee! Can I get down now?? No?! **** gravity and my ridicusly slow falling speed! - Marth scenario.

Simply because I don't like it that much.

Not longer than a fully charged FB :cool: . It's possible if it's a 1-on-1 since no one else will be disturbing the charge(and the opponent off the stage).

No, but I'm not thinking "OMG I falled down, now I jave xx frames of lagg!11!1 I'm DOOOOmed." Not saying that you do.. I just play and let it flow, if I would be thinking about all the lag I wouldn't have time to actually play.

Very crazy, but fun.

Recovery: If you do it repeatedly you won't fall alot. I don't know how you define "alot" in this case, but it isn't alot to me.

Range: Yeah it's shorter, but I'm not having any problems with it.

Falling speed: Roy isn't very good in the air, but that's why you keep him to the ground.

SHDF (short hop double fair): Same here, Roy is a more ground based character.

Sweetspotting: Not if you always try to get close. Banzai!

Jumping: Se example above.

WD: Yep.

Can't perform nair or 2 fairs off ledge - Marth=Good in the air Roy= Not so good in the air, keep him to the ground more.

Slower attacking speed: It really do seems like it when I play. It feels like it anyway, and it's enough for me.

Worse dair spike: NEO and/Azen have both stated it's useless.

Laggier moves: But I concentrate on playing, not thinking of lag.

Why did I even challenge you: Because Roy has a right to an lawyer :p .
you are a noob, you said it yourself. also, since you dont care about lag....lemme guess, you don't l-cancel?
btw, you said "not everyone uses it, y'know". actually, yes, everyone whos good does use it. provided they dont play bowser or zelda.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I know what WD is, and how to do it, and I can do it, but I don't like it that much. Not everyone uses it y'know.
Most good players do though, its pros outweigh any cons.
I only have 4 posts because I only post to defend Roy. This is the only Forum-part I visit.
Not much worth defending, as fun as he is. He is helpless when compared to Marth.

I can't believe I just read that... it burns the eyes. If you really don't like Marth's slow falling speed then fast-fall. But trust me, it outdoes Roy.
I don't know how many opponents (no matter how good you are) will stand there and cop a D-tilt > Fsmash and NOT work a way out of it.
"Oh look the Roy is charing a Flare Blade, I shall jump into it instead of attmpting to sweetspot the edge because I'm not very clever."
Seriously, it won't work very often at all, Marth's double fair is better.

I don't think like that either, but I know the lag is there and its what adds to Roy's con list. Sure L-cancels are fine but the lag is visible and must be taken into consideration. You should be able to play the game and know how much lag to expect from moves and Roy's lagginess is very clear.

This thread is honestly going around in circles.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Duker: You have obviously never heard of shffl, DI, sweetspotting the ledge, l canceling, and admitting you are a noob.

I ended this thead on the last page, but you had to challenge it, in an attempt to prove roy is better, yet everything I had stated was correct.

SniperTango: Stop Posting. Go to tourney.

McScruff: You're as much as a marth fanboy as Duker and SniperTango are to Roy, but that's fine with me.

NJZ: Nobody mess with him. You were dumb ever to do that.

If anyone keeps posting, just stop. There's a point in a thread where someone wins. I am this person, I have won, meaning no one can argue.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Duker: You have obviously never heard of shffl, DI, sweetspotting the ledge, l canceling, and admitting you are a noob.
Short Hop Fast Fall L-cancel: As the name says.

Directional Input: Just use the stick to try to move out of a attacks range in the air.

Sweetspoting the ledge: I have to admit I don't know this one...

L-canceling: Pressing L (R works too) in the air to dodge into the ground and halfing the landing lag.

There's a difference between newb and noob.

Anything else? I'm not gonna stop, I'm too stubborn for that.

you are a noob, you said it yourself. also, since you dont care about lag....lemme guess, you don't l-cancel?
btw, you said "not everyone uses it, y'know". actually, yes, everyone whos good does use it. provided they dont play bowser or zelda.
No, NEWB. It's a difference. I've talked with good players, and they all say that you don't have to use wavedash to be good, but they also say that good players CAN wavedash fluently if they want.

*Laughing out loud*
Duker, just stop. It's funny how you used NEO and Azen as examples since those to players say that Roy sucks and Marth is way better (especially NEO, who is the best Roy player).

Anyways, I think that you should have some competitive experience before posting as if you knew what you were talking about. I mean, you beat lvl 9 computers and your baby sister with Roy, yahoo. Now try whipping out your Roy against competitive players in a tournament.
I never said anything about NEO or Azen, someone else did. And I also never claimed to be good in any way, I just have a unusual strong sence of defence against others, I've even defended total *******s just because they was picked on by everyone.
I'm not gonna stop. If you want it to stop, do it yourself, don't post here anymore.

Most good players do though, its pros outweigh any cons.
Agreed

Not much worth defending, as fun as he is. He is helpless when compared to Marth.
I like him, that's reason enough for me.

I can't believe I just read that... it burns the eyes. If you really don't like Marth's slow falling speed then fast-fall. But trust me, it outdoes Roy.
It still feels not good when I use Marth.

I don't know how many opponents (no matter how good you are) will stand there and cop a D-tilt > Fsmash and NOT work a way out of it.
Of course they will not just stand there, but there's ways to do it anyway, right?

"Oh look the Roy is charing a Flare Blade, I shall jump into it instead of attmpting to sweetspot the edge because I'm not very clever."
Seriously, it won't work very often at all, Marth's double fair is better.
Hmm.. I don't know what "sweetspoting the edge" is unfortunetly, guess you won on this point...

I don't think like that either, but I know the lag is there and its what adds to Roy's con list. Sure L-cancels are fine but the lag is visible and must be taken into consideration. You should be able to play the game and know how much lag to expect from moves and Roy's lagginess is very clear.

This thread is honestly going around in circles.
Big circles:psycho: . I've never played against anyone good, so I've never had any use of knowing the lag sadly.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Short Hop Fast Fall L-cancel: As the name says.

Directional Input: Just use the stick to try to move out of a attacks range in the air.
Directional Input. Gotta try that lol.

Sweetspoting the ledge: I have to admit I don't know this one...
Kinda Obvious!

L-canceling: Pressing L (R works too) in the air to dodge into the ground and halfing the landing lag.
Dodge into the ground? That's wavelanding into the ground.

There's a difference between newb and noob.
Yes, but now you are being a noob. you are refusing to let the thread end, I already ended it, yet you keep posting.

Anything else? I'm not gonna stop, I'm too stubborn for that.
See? Right now you are proving you are a n00b, not a newb.

stop posting!

http://images.google.com/images?q=t...topox.net/items_img/1127940116StopPosting.jpg

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but now you are being a noob. you are refusing to let the thread end, I already ended it, yet you keep posting.
You keep posting too, that's a very poor way of "ending" a thread. If you stop posting in this thread, I will too, assuming that everyone else does.

marthsword

Smash Ace
You keep posting too, that's a very poor way of "ending" a thread. If you stop posting in this thread, I will too, assuming that everyone else does.
I was trying to end it, you just had to keep the thread going, that's what happened.

marthsword, im not a marth fanboy. i dont even play marth. i just dont like roy.

Yah, I feel the same way.

Btw. This will be closed real soon.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Okay good, its finally going to be over then.

I too am not a Marth fanboy, in fact I play both Roy and Marth. And I know Marth destroys him.

[/thread]

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Attention Duelists! My hair is detecting large ammounts of stupidity! I'm clsoing this topic to prevent the stupidness from coming out and damaging the rest of the site. And my hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom