• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Haters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jash

Smash Lord
*Sigh* i see people like arguing for the same things. Roy is not a bad character no matter how you look at it. I mean if Roy suks like people say then how come Neo is where he is now? no doubt Roy has his limits but come on, its no reason for people to go out and say he suks, because your going to fight a Roy and lose to him and feel real stupid. Basically just relax on the criticism and leave skill the way it is.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Roy is not a bad character no matter how you look at it. I mean if Roy suks like people say then how come Neo is where he is now?
....Neo admits that Roy is a horrible character. Neo got where he is now because he's simply talented and he uses Marth too. Notice how no one else can do well with Roy except him??? People can say the same about Azen's Link, Luigi, and Pikachu or Chu Dat's Pichu....
These players are simply amazing regardless of what character they use.
no doubt Roy has his limits but come on, its no reason for people to go out and say he suks, because your going to fight a Roy and lose to him and feel real stupid. Basically just relax on the criticism and leave skill the way it is.
He sucks. I stand behind Neo and the other experienced Roy players who openly admit it.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
*Sigh* i see people like arguing for the same things. Roy is not a bad character no matter how you look at it. I mean if Roy suks like people say then how come Neo is where he is now? no doubt Roy has his limits but come on, its no reason for people to go out and say he suks, because your going to fight a Roy and lose to him and feel real stupid. Basically just relax on the criticism and leave skill the way it is.
It should say no matter how you look at it Roy IS a bad character, because he is. Neo got to where he is because of HIS talent (as stated by NJzFinest) and it has little or nothing to do with anything Roy does, because there's not much Roy actually can do.

If I lose to a Roy I do feel stupid, because Roy sucks. Unless its someone who has talent enough to make him formidable.

Also, why has this thread been revived?

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
I dont think Roy is a bad character, I just plain hate him cause I have no ****ING clue what game he is from!

Nights

Smash Rookie
man, Roy pwns, you just have to know how to use him, thing is, his power , you need to be closer to the enemy to use his critcal point, unlike Marth, which in my opinion is why people like Marth so much, cause he has range, and people are natural afraid to get in peoples faces, soo as they try to avoid his attack, they end up making it worse for themselves. Roy is a nice charater to use, and people shouldn't look down on him, Hell ya he should be in Brawl, i mean, I would be pissed if he wasn't. remember, NO CHARATER SHOULD BE UNDER ESTIMATED.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
roy is a watered-down, nooby version of marth. marth is just better. roy has lots of lag a horrible recovery, little combo ability, and bad matchups. that explains why marth is high tier and roy is low tier. also, the reason people say roy is for noobs, is because every noob thinks "roy is better than marth" or "roy is a good character", and the fact that many noobs play roy.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
--My Roy videos on youtube are old now, I've learned a lot since. But then most videos are old. Recent opinions of Roy:

The more I play it the more I'm convinced, Roy beats Fox.

Also I would rather play Roy against Ganon than Marth. Roy doesn't need to jump as much as Marth does in the match, and that works to his advantage. His better over b and grounded combo starter means he doesn't get downb'ed or overb'ed like marth does.

And one more totally pointless thing, I think Roy might be better to use against Yoshi than Marth. Main reason: Marth fsmashes Yoshi at 160% and Yoshi laughs, Roy fsmashes Yoshi at 120% and Yoshi dies.

-Roy doesn't get completely clobbered in almost any match. He's at a disadvantage in most of them, but very few are true counters. Other low tiers have 7 counters but favorable other matches.

That said, Roy is still a mediocre character, has very little place at tournements, and is all but useless as a main. These are just some of my optimistic observations. We all know Roy is bad, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about his 3 good qualities sometimes.

Hopeless_Soul

Smash Rookie
Roy doesn't suck, none of the characters in the game suck, not even Pichu. Every character has their own advantage, just because you don't know how to use that advantage to win a match you shouldn't automaticly think the character sucks.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
Roy doesn't suck, none of the characters in the game suck, not even Pichu. Every character has their own advantage, just because you don't know how to use that advantage to win a match you shouldn't automaticly think the character sucks.
ummmm....no.:laugh: roy does suck.
btw this^ is coming from someone with 1 post...nuff said.

Hopeless_Soul

Smash Rookie
Roy being in the lower tiers only means that someone who can play Roy effectively hasn't been discovered yet.

snipertango

Smash Cadet
Mcscruff first shut up. It is you opinion. Roy yes he is slower then marth, but hes a hell of alot stronger. You can say Marth is better or is it that you dont have enough skill to use Roy? yea thats probably it. People say Jigglypuff is bad but if you learn all the moves you can own with Jigglypuff just as you can own with Roy. Its not the the character you use its how you use them get that through your head.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
roy has more lag and less combo ability. his recovery is garbage. and btw noone ever said jigglypuff is bad. she is a good character with high priority, good range, the wall of pain, and an excellent recovery.

Hopeless_Soul

Smash Rookie
roy has more lag and less combo ability. his recovery is garbage. and btw noone ever said jigglypuff is bad. she is a good character with high priority, good range, the wall of pain, and an excellent recovery.
Is this coming from your experience playing as Roy or just watching others play him?

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
this comes from fact. roy HAS MORE LAG THAN MARTH. roy HAS LESS COMBO ABILITY THAN MARTH. and roy HAS A WORSE RECOVERY THAN MARTH. are you actually questioning marths superiority to roy?

Zink

Smash Champion
Roy being in the lower tiers only means that someone who can play Roy effectively hasn't been discovered yet.
If this person existed, his name totally wouldn't be neo... and he would totally not still say Roy is garbage...

Hopeless_Soul

Smash Rookie
this comes from fact. roy HAS MORE LAG THAN MARTH. roy HAS LESS COMBO ABILITY THAN MARTH. and roy HAS A WORSE RECOVERY THAN MARTH. are you actually questioning marths superiority to roy?
Thats the thing, Marth isn't superior to Roy, there are just more Marth players that can play Marth well than there is Roy players that can play Roy well.

snipertango

Smash Cadet
Roy has his faults but still you need to use Roy alot to actually be like okay hes bad i use him every single time i play. Am i a master of Roy no not at all but im good enough to where i can recover with him. Marth is faster thats it. Roy has the strength, the durability, in my opinion a very much stronger combo then marth,. So pretty much Marth is just faster. Also something no body probably looks at is Roys up+b. Marths hits but doesnt do anything. Roys actually knocks opponents up in the air giving you more of a chance of make a safe recovery onto the edge.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
too bad roys upB gives you almost no vertical recovery.... and if roy is just as good as marth, then why isn't he at least middle tier? if hes so good why do more people play marth than roy? and why do those who play marth win tournaments, and those who play roy do not?

Hopeless_Soul

Smash Rookie
too bad roys upB gives you almost no vertical recovery.... and if roy is just as good as marth, then why isn't he at least middle tier? if hes so good why do more people play marth than roy? and why do those who play marth win tournaments, and those who play roy do not?
That would be because that everyone see people winning with Marth they go straight to playing as him instead of Roy. People who play Marth win tournaments because almost 4/5 of the people in the tournament are using Marth thus giving a Marth player the highest probability of winning.

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
ummmm....no.:laugh: roy does suck.
btw this^ is coming from someone with 1 post...nuff said.

Thats fine that you think that roy sucks as a character,theres absolutely no argument that someone could come up with that could prove that roy is a better character than marth, this game has been out way too long. But just because he has one post, it dosnt make his argument any less relevent as the next guys. :ohwell:

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
Mcscruff first shut up. It is you opinion. Roy yes he is slower then marth, but hes a hell of alot stronger. You can say Marth is better or is it that you dont have enough skill to use Roy? yea thats probably it. People say Jigglypuff is bad but if you learn all the moves you can own with Jigglypuff just as you can own with Roy. Its not the the character you use its how you use them get that through your head.
wow, calm down alright, you get infractons for fighting like this.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
That would be because that everyone see people winning with Marth they go straight to playing as him instead of Roy. People who play Marth win tournaments because almost 4/5 of the people in the tournament are using Marth thus giving a Marth player the highest probability of winning.
so what you're saying is that any character is as good as the next? get 2 people of about equal skill, and make one play a high or top tier character, and make the other play a low or bottom tier character. the player using the high tier character will usually win. and also 4/5 of people dont play marth. they play fox, falco, and sheik.

Hopeless_Soul

Smash Rookie
so what you're saying is that any character is as good as the next? get 2 people of about equal skill, and make one play a high or top tier character, and make the other play a low or bottom tier character. the player using the high tier character will usually win. and also 4/5 of people dont play marth. they play fox, falco, and sheik.
Exactly, usually, not every single time.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
if you want him to win every time than he'll use sheik. i was just generalizing, not saying specifically marth. but since he usually wins, that explains why he is higher on the tier list. i didnt say just because a character is higher tier than another character that he counters that character. i said that a higher tier character will usually have the advantage and will usually win.

marthsword

Smash Ace

You forgot he has worse jumping, has to sweetspot almost every move, has worse range, his range doesn't matter because it sweetspots at the middle of his sword, worse edgeguarding, worse dair spike, faster, worse wavedash, can barely perform an aerial off the edge, can't chainthrow as well, can't perform SH double aerial.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
someone close this thread, its just two noobs flaming eachother.
thank you. this thread is a waste of space. Mcsruff, calm down alright, just because people don't obsess over marth like you do doesn't mean that you can just flame everyone about it.

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
OK, hopeless soul your argument is fine, anyone can own with ANY character if they KNOW how to use them. This is the same for anyother fighting game ever made. But dont argue about the placement of royplayers at tournaments, the fact is roy is not as good of a character as marth, and because he is fairly low on the tier list most players stay away from him. Aside from all of his terrible traits, he is a cool character, ill give you that. So yes, you can own with roy, if you Put all of your time and energy into roy. And this can be said for anyother character, so stop the arguments. And roys potential, is not that good. The game has been out for how long now, and there still arent many decent roys. So sorry to burst your roy bubble of love, but he is just not a good character to pick up, but that is no reason for you or anyone else to try and master him.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that the tier list applies only to the current meta-game, which probably isn't your level of play.

Anyway...Marth is better at the meta-game. Marth is able to kill more effectively, has better combos, has an effective spike, is heavier, faster, and stronger (generally), and has a better recovery. The only practical advantage I see Roy having is one or two stronger moves and a SHFFL that's better than Marth's in certain situations.

Of course, the above paragraph will probably be seen as a "Roy-hater" comment by Roy fanboys. The way I see it, most of the Roy hating is a result of Roy fanboys complaining about Roy's placement on the tier list/displaying incorrect anti-tier list opinions/giving false information about Roy which has prompted certain people to insult their ignorance. And because many Roy-fanboys see any comment stating Roy's disadvantages as an insult.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
and because many marth players are ignorant *cough*Mcsruff*cough*

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol, the people here who say Roy isn't bad/Marth isn't superior are:

a) New to smashboards
b) Have never been to a competitive tournament/ played anyone "good"
c) Bad at the game :(

and because many marth players are ignorant *cough*Mcsruff*cough*
You mean realistic

Thread over

snipertango

Smash Cadet
hey NJ come play with me and my friends and youll get your *** kicked dont assume we suck just because we dont have any posts. thats pretty ignorant. And i dont beleive Marth is heavier then Roy on the basis that Roy falls faster? hello people if Marth was heavier hed fall faster the Roy. To me tier lists dont mean anything its how you use what you have in your arsenal a guy with a pistol could kill a guy with a machine gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom