• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy for Smash 3DS/Wii U website

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally decided to sit down yesterday, pay $25 for a .com domain with an easy to remember name and good site design program, and typed up as much as I could about the possibility and potential of Roy being brought back:
:roymelee: http://www.royforsmash4.com/ :roymelee:

If you're willing to be a part of the cause in any way, please check the site out and read the whole page. Even just liking it with the Facebook plugin works.

If you're against it, please read the entire page before shooting it down.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
but Mewtwo, who is being added back in as DLC in Spring of 2015, also has not been in the Pokémon spotlight for a long time.

Multiple ingame events across 2 generations, a new movie about it, and 2 Mega Evolutions (the first ever legendary to Mega evolve, and one of only two Pokemon ever to get 2 different Megas).

lunarum

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4055-3233-5833
Dang, I'm impressed by your dedication to Roy, despite my strong dislike of the character (played his game). Also you had some good arguments for his inclusion which I had not considered before. But honestly, I don't want Roy back, not only because of my prejudice, but because I think 3 sword-using Lords are enough for one smash game. Roy simply wouldn't stand out enough because of his hair color, and even fire-themed attacks (Ike kinda does that). And finally, I just don't think the developers want to put the work in for Roy, I mean they made a color scheme resembling him for Marth, but they probably could've done a skin instead. And if it's gonna be DLC, it would have to be a character popular enough to sell, and while many fondly remember Roy in SSBM here, I doubt that people in Japan actually like him, and that it's less likely to sell there, losing a significant amount of their audience.

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
Didn't you just make a thread like this before it was closed?
Edit: It was exactly the same

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't want Roy in Smash 4, sorry. We have enough Fire Emblem reps (and Marth clones) :).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Tis' a fine effort, but I'm afraid Roy is gone for good.

With Lucina already filling the Marth clone niche and there already being another character named Roy in the game (An alt for Bowser Jr., but), there's just not much to warrant Roy's return, especially when he's not even that popular or notable within the FE series.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
It's really sad that Roy was dropped so quickly despite being the FE character that started it all in the west. The first English FE featured his old man, Eliwood, and Roy himself at the end. Even if Roy's character in the Binding Blade isn't all that, I think he deserves more just for his value as a Smasher and a representative of the franchise. Marth represented the beginning of FE, Roy represented the global beginning of FE, Ike represented the (3D) console debut of FE, and then I don't mind a 4th slot for the most recent installment. Awakening really shouldn't have gotten both Robin and Lucina, and opting for Lucina instead of restyling Our Boy was kind of a slap in the face to people who appreciated the distinct style that Roy supported in Melee and expected. It was more than just 'no tipper' and 'T3H PH1R3' despite how we joke about it. He was a character focused on aggro play and strong, short aerial combos and juggles, someone who could continually dish out damage until they pulled off an explosive finish.

But instead we got Lucina. Plain ol' Lucina who is really just a more pressure-oriented Marth. I'm still keeping faith that Roy is planned as DLC, resuming the work that Nintendo originally had planned for Brawl but lacked the time to finish, and we'll see him as more than a mere Marth 'clone.' I also wouldn't mind FE getting an extra rep, because I simply believe the characters in it are infinitely more interesting than the other big name franchises that survive mostly off of nostalgia and care little for supporting a diverse cast. I've always felt that many characters repping games like Mario are more symbols than they are characters.

I can't really respect Ike has a replacement, either, since the only thing they had in common was fire. Ike is too sluggish and predictable, whereas Roy benefited immensely from overwhelming the opponent with speed and precision.

Last edited:

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
I wouldnt be surprised if its going to be in a re-skin DLC pack with some extra particles.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I'm always down for more characters, but I'd rather get someone other than Roy. There are so many Fire Emblem characters and sword fighters. Luc is pretty much Marth clone and Ike is a slow Marth with fire. Where would Roy fit in? He doesn't offer much difference in play styles like Robin did. I'd rather him just be an alt costume, but even then they would have to release him in some kind of pack with other costumes since I don't think too many people would spend money on just a Roy Alt for Marth/Ike.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
No need for that roy. We have a better one in Smash 4 already :D:4roy:

For reals though, that would give FE 5 reps. No offence, but that's too much, and 4 is enough.
If Roy comes back, give LOZ another rep.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071

For reals though, that would give FE 5 reps. No offence, but that's too much, and 4 is enough.
I don't think anyone expects Roy to return alone. If he'd return at all, I'd expect it to be among the other vets, increasing the number of Pokemon, Earthbound and Star Fox reps as well.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they threw in Demise for a LoZ rep though.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Damn dude, GoDaddy offers .99c .com domains. For instance; www.dotdissent.com

Regardless of that, I guess this is interesting? Good luck, it'll be tough to sway Nintendo from whatever they have planned.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I doubt FE will receive anymore reps. If anything, I would rather have an axe and lance lord over Roy.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I must say that I commend your efforts for both buying a website and putting in the time to write everything on it, but I'm finding it a little difficult to imagine Roy getting in here with FE already has more than enough reps and there are so many sword characters already. Nevertheless, I hope for your sake that he makes it back because you clearly care about this plenty.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
I don't want Roy in Smash 4, sorry. We have enough Fire Emblem reps (and Marth clones) :).
That's right! Having 5 Fire Emblem characters in this game would be absolutely heinous! Especially when we already have 5 characters from the Mario series (8 if you count Yoshi, Wario and Dr. Mario) and 5 characters from the Zelda series! Roy's a stupid idea!

Okay, being honest here, the OP listed a bunch of plausable reasons why Roy having a comeback would be a good idea, and you dismiss them just because he was a Marth clone in Melee? How dense are you? May I remind you again about how many Mario and Zelda characters there are in this game already? 2 of those Mario characters share similar moves to Mario and 1 of those Zelda characters shares similar moves with Link. Not to mention, coming this Spring, the number of Pokémon characters will increase to 6 with the inclusion of Mewtwo!

So, taking what I've told you, and what the OP's website wrote down, exactly why is Roy a bad idea? And don't give me that clone nonsense again because the OP listed ways where he could have his own moveset already.

the8thark

Smash Lord

FE:Roy is exponentially better than the Super Mario 3 skin you talk about.
But on topic, the moderators need to lock this topic as well. Simply because Sakurai has spoken. No Roy. No Ridley (as a humanly playable character), no Snake, no Wolf (only as a Fox skin I think), etc etc. Time to get over it.

I would love Roy back in the game. But I am realistic and unfortunately Sakurai does not want Roy in SSB4 so far.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
FE:Roy is exponentially better than the Super Mario 3 skin you talk about.
But on topic, the moderators need to lock this topic as well. Sim8ply because Sakurai has spoken. No Roy. No Ridley (as a humanly playable character), no Snake, no Wolf (only as a Fox skin I think), etc etc. Time to get over it.
When did Sakurai say no additional characters would be added after Mewtwo? Did I miss something?

That's right! Having 5 Fire Emblem characters in this game would be absolutely heinous! Especially when we already have 5 characters from the Mario series (8 if you count Yoshi, Wario and Dr. Mario) and 5 characters from the Zelda series! Roy's a stupid idea!

Okay, being honest here, the OP listed a bunch of plausable reasons why Roy having a comeback would be a good idea, and you dismiss them just because he was a Marth clone in Melee? How dense are you? May I remind you again about how many Mario and Zelda characters there are in this game already? 2 of those Mario characters share similar moves to Mario and 1 of those Zelda characters shares similar moves with Link. Not to mention, coming this Spring, the number of Pokémon characters will increase to 6 with the inclusion of Mewtwo!

So, taking what I've told you, and what the OP's website wrote down, exactly why is Roy a bad idea? And don't give me that clone nonsense again because the OP listed ways where he could have his own moveset already.
Sadly, he was removed for some unknown reason like our disappearing Brawl vets. Adding Lucina in completely negates any excuse I can think of. His individuality was much stronger than Lucina any day, who truly does lack any interesting differences from her base. From what I can see, Nintendo threw in Doc for ****s and giggles thinking they'd appease the Melee crowd and used Lucina and Dark Pit for advertising. Robin is a great character with a very distinct style; he deserves his spot. But they very clearly threw in Lucina to try to boost Awakening sales. Can't blame them; business is business. I just wish they wouldn't toss out characters anymore. It just makes Smash look like a big commercial like this.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
When did Sakurai say no additional characters would be added after Mewtwo? Did I miss something?
You'd better start praying the possible future DLC has the characters you want in it. That DLC is the only way you have a chance to get the characters you want. The roster we have now is done. And it has none of the characters I mentioned.
Your sarcasm is noted.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
You'd better start praying the possible future DLC has the characters you want in it. That DLC is the only way you have a chance to get the characters you want. The roster we have now is done. And it has none of the characters I mentioned.
Your sarcasm is noted.
That's been the idea since the start, bro. Anyone who wants characters/vets that aren't in the 3DS version can only hope for DLC.

And I wasn't being sarcastic. The way you wrote that made me genuinely concerned that I missed an important announcement regarding future expansions of the roster.

the8thark

Smash Lord
That's been the idea since the start, bro. Anyone who wants characters/vets that aren't in the 3DS version can only hope for DLC.

And I wasn't being sarcastic. The way you wrote that made me genuinely concerned that I missed an important announcement regarding future expansions of the roster.
Thank you. And I understand what you meant now. Hard to differentiate legit comments and sarcasm at times on the internet.
And I think we all have a character or two we want DLC to cover.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Thank you. And I understand what you meant now. Hard to differentiate legit comments and sarcasm at times on the internet.
And I think we all have a character or two we want DLC to cover.
Definitely. Most of the Roy-oriented discussion happens in the Roy thread in the character discussion section (which was reopened upon the revelation of Mewtwo DLC, in case anyone reading wasn't aware). I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: game-specific DLC packs with old stages and the lost vets, one for Brawl and one for Melee. Those would be amazing and benefit everyone who misses a certain character.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Definitely. Most of the Roy-oriented discussion happens in the Roy thread in the character discussion section (which was reopened upon the revelation of Mewtwo DLC, in case anyone reading wasn't aware). I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: game-specific DLC packs with old stages and the lost vets, one for Brawl and one for Melee. Those would be amazing and benefit everyone who misses a certain character.
This would work except for . . .

- The Ice Men. We all know the 3DS is the reason why they got cut. I'm sure the new 3DS could handle them, but since the game plays on the old 3DS, the Ice Men won't be coming back. (if you've ever played the NES Ice Climbers, you will know Iceman can't jump.)
- Snake. Would need an ok from his creators to be in SSB4 as DLC. It's not something Nintendo can put in anytime they want. Would Nintendo bother to get the ok for Snake? I don't think so.

So who does this leave us with? Roy, Lucas, Wolf, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur. All of those are possible DLC. Ivysaur and Squirtle would be separate characters just like Charizard is now. Does the game need even more pokemon characters? Not really, but if they were DLC, I'd not say no to them.

[edit] Added in Lucas, I forgot him.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'd love to have Roy back as a full-fledged character. <3
But I'd settle for a well-done, "glorified" costume as well; so long as it included his name, voice...and of course, the announcer proclaiming "Roy's Our Boy!" along with stating his name on the selection and results screen.

I mean, look at this guy! He got an awesome redesign in Awakening! <3

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'd love to have Roy back as a full-fledged character. <3
But I'd settle for a well-done costume as well. I mean, so long as it included his name, voice...and of course, the announcer proclaiming "Roy's Our Boy!" along with stating his name on the selection and results screen.
For me his flame sword and move set (along with looks as a 2ndary thing) is what made Roy for me. I was someone who tried hard to be good with marth but sucked so hard with marth, but with roy I was 100x better. Similar moveset but the two characters played so very differently.

My thinking is that Roy was only in Melee as Fire Emblem advertising and past that he was seen as not needed in SSB anymore by Nintendo. A shame really.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
This would work except for . . .

- The Ice Men. We all know the 3DS is the reason why they got cut. I'm sure the new 3DS could handle them, but since the game plays on the old 3DS, the Ice Men won't be coming back. (if you've ever played the NES Ice Climbers, you will know Iceman can't jump.)
- Snake. Would need an ok from his creators to be in SSB4 as DLC. It's not something Nintendo can put in anytime they want. Would Nintendo bother to get the ok for Snake? I don't think so.

So who does this leave us with? Roy, Wolf, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur. All of those are possible DLC. Ivysaur and Squirtle would be separate characters just like Charizard is now. Does the game need even more pokemon characters? Not really, but if they were DLC, I'd not say no to them.
Don't forget Lucas! But yeah, I don't know if Pokemon needs all those reps (but then again, they had them regardless; making them individual doesn't change much). All I'm hoping for is that we don't see our beloved vets fade away without any word.

Personally, I loved Roy because he was the only swordsman that rewarded being in the enemy's face when swinging. The sweetspot location was perfect for my style, and seeing it just thrown out irks me.

Last edited:

FajitaEata

Smash Rookie
Fire Emblem is one of my all time favorite series and even I think Roy would be a bad idea to put into this game. We really don't need another Marth clone, and if they put the time into redesigning everything about Roy's kit I would rather they spent that time on a non sword wielding lord (Hector or Ephraim would be tight). Honestly 4 FE characters is enough. I'm one of the few that really likes Lucina being in this game, but I'm not going to push it Fire Emblem simply isn't a popular enough series to warrant any more spots.

FajitaEata

Smash Rookie
If I was Sakurai I'd have cut Marth and not Roy for Brawl and SSB4
I mean Marth is the mascot of the franchise and Roy is arguably the worst/most disliked Lord in the series. That would be like cutting out Pikachu and adding that garbage mon from black and white.

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I mean Marth is the mascot of the franchise and Roy is arguably the worst/most disliked Lord in the series. That would be like cutting out Pikachu and adding that garbage mon from black and white.
I need someone to find that Japanese poll where Roy was ranked really high in popularity. He may be the weakest lord, but Roy wasn't the least liked. TBH I think more people actually disliked Eliwood (generic do-gooder knight with no personality). Roy was the youngest lord, making even his poor stats seem badass in context.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
MAYBE I'M ALONE. but

Pokemon has lots of representation in Smash, a lot (too much, imo). So here along comes Mewtwo as well. No third DK rep or anything. I'm glad Mewtwo is coming back for the fans.

Now we want our boy Roy, who adds onto the Fire Emblem reps in this game which is up there. I love me FE, but don't we already have similar play styles of Roy already in the game even though they aren't 100% exactly like it was in Melee? So Roy would need to be changed to not feel like a "clone", therefore not being Roy.

I MEAN WHERE'S MY DIXIE KONG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom