• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy (Fire Emblem 6) support thread.

Smash Rookie
His popularity is the only reason I can see him coming back in Brawl...

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
How is his popularity the only thing allowing him to come back? Roy is very significant to the FE series. He is also better than the vast majority of other FE characters. Most people just look at him and see that he has a sword and that he is a clone. But guess what. You can't use a broadsword the same way you would use a rapier. There was no reason for Roy and Marth to attack the same. They seem to have gotten that message with Link.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How is his popularity the only thing allowing him to come back? Roy is very significant to the FE series. He is also better than the vast majority of other FE characters. Most people just look at him and see that he has a sword and that he is a clone. But guess what. You can't use a broadsword the same way you would use a rapier. There was no reason for Roy and Marth to attack the same. They seem to have gotten that message with Link.
Actually, Marth's sword is more the Rapier-like of the two. Roy's Sword of Seals is a two handed sword, which could easly make a whole diffrent moveset. But I agree with you nonetheless. :)

Well, Roy isn't actually very populair by serious players. His counterpart Marth is just way better than him. Which is a waste, because Roy actally is a fun character to play as.

Smash Rookie
Actually, Marth's sword is more the Rapier-like of the two. Roy's Sword of Seals is a two handed sword, which could easly make a whole diffrent moveset. But I agree with you nonetheless. :)

Well, Roy isn't actually very populair by serious players. His counterpart Marth is just way better than him. Which is a waste, because Roy actally is a fun character to play as.
He popular among non-serious players, which far outnumbers serious Smashers.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice

I know that the Sword of Seals is a broad sword. The Falchion is the rapier. I never said it was the other way around. :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah true. But the majorty of serious players main Marth, and even many of the non-serious do. Just search for a thread called: "Who do you primarly use?" in the Melee discussion. There's a poll in there, and almost 50% of the votes go to Marth.

Also please note that non-serious doesn't mean that the player is noob or not. I myself am non-serious aswell, yet I'm better than the avarage Smasher because there are too many noob players. Roy is very populair by noob players, many non-serious know better than that.

So to keep it short, Marth players outnumber Roy players by far.
Have a nice day sir. :)

EDIT: @ SuichimoTheDragon: Oops, yeah my mistake. :p

Smash Rookie
I'm talking about people who own the game and don't come here. They outnumber the people who come here by a mile.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
I know a bunch of "non serious" smash players and they aaaall like Roy, but I'm sure if they put a another FE character thats better than Roy they will forget aaaall about him. You have to understand, most of these casual gamers that play smash don't look at Roy as a "Fire Emblem 6 Roy" to them Roy is just a cool looking kid with a fire sword. Nobody grew up playing FE 6 when they were a kid. every other Nintendo character in SSBM is legendary, exept Roy...... and Pichu.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
The japanese might've, especially seeing as there was tonnes of support for Marth to get into Melee.

As for Roy, while I'd hate to see him leave as he was one of my favourite characters in melee (I don't care if Marth is superior in every way, Roy has fire), his chances of returning are slim. Seeing as even Marth's return is not exactly definite (he has a good chance, but I have a nasty feeling he'll be replaced by Ike, though I want Marth to return personally), Roy doesn't seem likely at all. While I think there may still be a GBA lord, I think that Roy might be replaced by an FE7 character, or even an FE8 one, as they are internationally known (I know Roy is too, but not as an FE charcter as such). That, and the fact that he was in for advertisement means Sakurai has got a good reason to drop him for another charcter, as he's kind of filled his purpose. Overall, as much as I'd like Roy to return, I'm expecting him to get the boot and I'd actually be suprised if he does return.

Granted Roy has potential for a new moveset. If they make the SoS as big as it was in the game and gave Roy lot's of projectile fire moves then he would easily be different from Marth. If Roy does stay, I imagine that's what they're gonna do.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
Or FE 1, and 3.
Lol, well of course not in America. The Japanese gamers will be pretty pissed if they get rid of Marth in SSBB. Marth is actually ALOT more popular in Japan than he is here, and not because of his apearance in SSBM. I'm sure Marth will return, not really because of the american popularity but the Japanese, and it really would'nt make any sense for them to get rid of Marth in the American version of Smash... that would be very stupid on nintendos part.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I know a bunch of "non serious" smash players and they aaaall like Roy, but I'm sure if they put a another FE character thats better than Roy they will forget aaaall about him. You have to understand, most of these casual gamers that play smash don't look at Roy as a "Fire Emblem 6 Roy" to them Roy is just a cool looking kid with a fire sword. Nobody grew up playing FE 6 when they were a kid. every other Nintendo character in SSBM is legendary, exept Roy...... and Pichu.
Considering that FE6 was released only 4 years ago (2002), I think it's FAR too soon for that anyway - and that goes double for every FE title since. And since when were Doctor Mario, Falco, Sheik, and the Ice Climbers LEGENDARY? It's all a matter of opinion... Also, I happen to play Roy and I am a "serious" Smash player.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
But he's unpopular by serious and japanese FE players which outnumbers other FE players, FE fans are more important than smash fans in terms of FE characters one would assume..

As for Roy, while I'd hate to see him leave as he was one of my favourite characters in melee (I don't care if Marth is superior in every way, Roy has fire), his chances of returning are slim.
I agree with all of that especially the fire part

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
It would seem judging by the other threads aswell that people want Lynn to replace Roy. I personally would like to see them both.

Eugenio

Smash Lord
Considering that FE6 was released only 4 years ago (2002), I think it's FAR too soon for that anyway - and that goes double for every FE title since. And since when were Doctor Mario, Falco, Sheik, and the Ice Climbers LEGENDARY? It's all a matter of opinion... Also, I happen to play Roy and I am a "serious" Smash player.
Falco WAS in Starfox on nes and on the 64 verision and although he was not playable, he still played a very memorable role in the Starfox games. Shiek is not a legend, Zelda is(Legend of Zelda;) ). Doc & ICs aren't legends though, ya got me on those 2. I play Roy also, but I wouldn't care to much if he was gone. I guess it is a matter of opinion like you say.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Falco WAS in Starfox on nes and on the 64 verision and although he was not playable, he still played a very memorable role in the Starfox games. Shiek is not a legend, Zelda is(Legend of Zelda;) ). Doc & ICs aren't legends though, ya got me on those 2. I play Roy also, but I wouldn't care to much if he was gone. I guess it is a matter of opinion like you say.
Yes Falco was on Starfox since the beginning (on the SNES, not the NES BTW), but so were Slippy and Peppy - niether of which seem get any credit even though Falco's equally worthless (yes, in the actual Starfox games, he sucks...). At any rate, despite his rabid fanbase, the fact remains that Falco is nothing more than a support character who doesn't quite merit the title of "Legend." And I was referring to the Sheik alter-ego, not Zelda herself. At any rate, I will admit that Roy is fairly likely to leave, but I still get annoyed how people keep lumping him together with Pichu, Doc, and Y. Link - unlike those 3 he's NOT a filler character - no more than Falco or Ganondorf (from a mechanics standpoint, not character significance). Oh well. I would like Roy to return, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...
That's because Lyn is from the 2nd most important FE game and is more unique than Roy, she better represents FE to the western world.
Woah, woah, woah there xianfeng... The Japanese FE fanbase would take that statement as a declaration of war, considering that's probably the LEAST liked FE title over there... I'll admit it is important in the fact that it was the first international release, but pretty much EVERY FE title with the possible exceptions of FE5, FE6, and FE8. And the only factors that Lyn has as far as "uniqueness" over Roy is that she is a female Lord and that she just so happens to fire a bow from time to time...

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
That's because Lyn is from the 2nd most important FE game and is more unique than Roy, she better represents FE to the western world.
Maybe in your little world Xianfeng. You're gonna need some links to prove that one.
And Lyn would just be a fancy Link...becuase she uses a bow and sword. Not very unique there. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
FE7 is overrated. No seriously, it may be the first world wide Fire Emlbem, but comparing to FE6... I find the story to be rather medicore. It's pretty confusing actually, Roy got his hands on the Divine weapons to, but they never mentioned that Eliwood used the Durandal... Nor you'd ever heard of the Black Fang, Nergal and various other things in FE6. FE7 is a good game, but it's story is pretty confusing... I don't think you can see it as a "real" prequel to FE6 story wise.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
I fully support Roy for Brawl.. he is probably (in my opinion) one of the funnest characters to play in Melee, plus i would really hate to see him go since ive became so adjusted to his fighting style. I sadly have not played FE6 yet, but i'm hoping too once i get an emulator... to translate it to english 0_o.
Roy FTW!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
FE7 is overrated. No seriously, it may be the first world wide Fire Emlbem, but comparing to FE6... I find the story to be rather medicore. It's pretty confusing actually, Roy got his hands on the Divine weapons to, but they never mentioned that Eliwood used the Durandal... Nor you'd ever heard of the Black Fang, Nergal and various other things in FE6. FE7 is a good game, but it's story is pretty confusing... I don't think you can see it as a "real" prequel to FE6 story wise.
Eh blame Nintendo, it's just another thing they stuffed up.

I think Marth and Roy are really really boring I mean all they do is slash with their swords, nothing special.

GenG

Smash Lord
I think Marth and Roy are really really boring I mean all they do is slash with their swords, nothing special.
That's the way of the true swordman. I don't think in the Middle Age swordmans swapped between sword and bow. They used just a sword. And since Fire Emblem is mostly based on European medieval stories, Marth's moves are simply great. 100% sword moves with a stylish manga twist.

It's nice to have some non-quirky characters in the roster too.

By the way, Lyndis' style may be like Hibiki's from The Last Blade: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HG-S8prwJ00

Konuk

Smash Journeyman

How could you say that's boring they actually spiced up melee come on think about it if it wasnt for those secret characters and there looks then we would be talking about whos gonna leave from fire emblem think about it for awhile. any way they need to give roy his sheath, they could get rid of him for a cool axe person from fire emblem and i didnt know that Roys game came out in america can someone tell me where i could buy it?

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
How could you say that's boring they actually spiced up melee come on think about it if it wasnt for those secret characters and there looks then we would be talking about whos gonna leave from fire emblem think about it for awhile. any way they need to give roy his sheath, they could get rid of him for a cool axe person from fire emblem and i didnt know that Roys game came out in america can someone tell me where i could buy it?
Roy's game never came to America. However, there is a translated ROM out there that you can play.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

There you go blaming Nintendo again... And it was developed by Intelligent Systems, a second party company of Nintendo, but NOT Nintendo itself.

And now you're dissing Marth AS WELL as Roy?! Just because they only use swords?! Jeez... Hector only uses an axe, does that make him boring? You and you're bloody double standards...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
And now you're dissing Marth AS WELL as Roy?! Just because they only use swords?! Jeez... Hector only uses an axe, does that make him boring? You and you're bloody double standards...
I suppose he would be, if he used it how Marth and Roy use their swords, it's just not quirky, SSB is a quirky game. Hector's fighting style is supposed to be self taught and wild so I don't think it would be as boring as Marth and Roy's were. I mean their moves were
B - Hold Sword over head then smash it down
B > - thrust sword foward repeatidly
B ^ - Thrust sword upwards
B v - Hold sword downwards
Hector would swing more and be more rough and choppy sorta more interesting than that, so would Ike...

There you go blaming Nintendo again... And it was developed by Intelligent Systems, a second party company of Nintendo, but NOT Nintendo itself.
I thought they were first party, that's why I blamed Nintendo.

GenG said:
That's the way of the true swordman. I don't think in the Middle Age swordmans swapped between sword and bow. They used just a sword. And since Fire Emblem is mostly based on European medieval stories, Marth's moves are simply great. 100% sword moves with a stylish manga twist.
I know I just like quirky characters.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I suppose he would be, if he used it how Marth and Roy use their swords, it's just not quirky, SSB is a quirky game. Hector's fighting style is supposed to be self taught and wild so I don't think it would be as boring as Marth and Roy's were. I mean their moves were
B - Hold Sword over head then smash it down
B > - thrust sword foward repeatidly
B ^ - Thrust sword upwards
B v - Hold sword downwards
Hector would swing more and be more rough and choppy sorta more interesting than that, so would Ike...
That's a terrible oversimplification of thier movesets... and their B > is the best in the game with all the different combinations you could utilize... Though I will admit that self-taught styles are always interesting.
I thought they were first party, that's why I blamed Nintendo.
Just lighten up on Nintendo a bit, at least they're getting back on the right track...
I know I just like quirky characters.
Nothing wrong with that.

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE PIT! That stupid little angel boy was a reason I got up every morning to watch Captain N, I have always loved his games as well! ^^ But this isn't a Pit thread. So I'll zip it.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
Pit and Roy BOTH rock!! *drools* But I like Roy more!! =O *huggles Roy plushie* Oh, and Hail-Nekoyasha rocks too xD Yay for Marth abuse!!!

Top Bottom