• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy (Fire Emblem 6) support thread.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Some of you people want Roy to be removed from SSBB, but here are some reasons why they added him in SSBM as a clone:

• He acts and fights similar to Marth in Fire Emblem 6.
  • He is the Lord of the very first portable Fire Emblem title in Japan.
  • Nintendo and Intelligent Systems were using him to promote Fire Emblem 6, which wasn't finished during the release of SSBM.
  • He also appeared in Fire Emblem 7 (known as the first Fire Emblem release outside of Japan.

And here are some things that probably mean he has a good chance at returning:

• He could probably replace Ike (Lord of the first 3D Fire Emblem title), to save space, but I'm not sure if Ike fights exactly like Marth and Roy.
  • He is one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters in Japan, but not as popular as Ira (Fire Emblem 4).

Sakurai would either remove him, or make him a semi-clone.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Everybody Loves Roy, how can you not? The only person that comes close to roy are the IC's, and thats only because I play IC as my main now instead of Roy.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Umm... the GBA FEs were'nt recieved well in japan, Roy definately isnt one of he most popular FE characters in Japan, those belong to Marth, Sigurd, Ayra, Oguma, and Navarre

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
I am BUMPING this thread for two reasons.

1. I love Roy and hope his return in SSBB.

2. All the fricken Anti-Roy people can have a place to post their flaming hate for him in the proper thread.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD~ BUMP FOR ROY! BUMP I SAY! <3

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Not Popular FE character?
Maybe....
Popular SSB character?
YES!

I think lots of people will be very sad if Roy doesn't come back. Me being one of them. I mean Melee was able to bring back the OG Cast of SSB and the secert characters for it. SO why can't Roy return?

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
The thing of it is, Roy in melee is little more than a glorified ad for his own game. He was only put in to plug his upcoming game, and now that it's out and over with, I think that it would be a good idea to inlcude some better FE characters that deserve it more.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think there should be only one FE character. Also I think there should only be only two Star Fox characters. Supporters of both these franchises want to clog the selection screen with these characters. This takes up space for franchises that have no representation. Plus Star Fox and FE characters seem so similar to each other.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Plus Star Fox and FE characters seem so similar to each other.

... Hey can I ask you a question?

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

Seriously though, how do bipedal futuristic furries who ride in laser battling tanks and planes seem anywhere near similar to midieval metal weapon bearing fantasy-esque humanoid characters with multi-colored hair?

Starálfur

Smash Apprentice
... Hey can I ask you a question?

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

Seriously though, how do bipedal futuristic furries who ride in laser battling tanks and planes seem anywhere near similar to midieval metal weapon bearing fantasy-esque humanoid characters with multi-colored hair?

Thats how I read it at first as well but he means that the Starfox characters are similiar to other Starfox characters (Wolf to Fox, Falco to Krystal) as are the Fire Emblem characters (Mart similar to Roy, Ike similiar to Sigurd).

xianfeng

Smash Hero
How the hell is Falco similar to Krystal, Falco is a bird that fights in a plane and Krystal is an amazonian Fox with magical abilities and a magical staff.

Roy is like one of my mains but I think that he is one of the most worthless FE characters, he should be removed so he could be replaced with an interesting and more unique Fire Emblem Character such as Hector with his axe, Lyn with her quick sword strikes and bow, Ephriam with his lances, Mikaya with her magic and others, Roy really is pathetic compared to other FE lords.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sorry guys but I rather have Ike or the black knight, I dont know much about FE but I like them more thats the main reason, as soon as I buy a FE game ill have a better opinion... XD

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Roy is the only clone character that I'm going to miss playing in Brawl (3rd most used character according to records), but he's probably cut for better FE characters, but I'm not into FE all that much so I can't say for sure who I'd want to replace him :ohwell:

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
How the hell is Falco similar to Krystal, Falco is a bird that fights in a plane and Krystal is an amazonian Fox with magical abilities and a magical staff.
I agree with you on this. Falco and Krystal ARE NOT similar.

Roy is like one of my mains but I think that he is one of the most worthless FE characters, he should be removed so he could be replaced with an interesting and more unique Fire Emblem Character such as Hector with his axe, Lyn with her quick sword strikes and bow, Ephriam with his lances, Mikaya with her magic and others, Roy really is pathetic compared to other FE lords.
I disagree with you on this. I am currently playing FE6 and Roy is one of my best guys. Plus I have seen what happens when he gets to the right level. He's a frickin Powerhouse.

Here's just a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYUpIoasE

(sniffle) Bye-bye, Roy? ;_________;

I guess if I have to say good bye then I will. I just wish he'd come back on SSBB. It would be so much fun.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
I see no reason for Roy to leave. Roy has contributed to the FE series as a whole. The GBA FEs all used FE6's magic system, which I believe puts it at the most use or at least tied for the most use in Fire Emblem. Not to mention being the first portable Lord and the last Japanese-only Lord. Also, although this isn't very big, I do believe that Roy is the only melee, as in hand-to-hand combat, Lord to be visually attributed to an element.

So what if Roy was an advertisement. Its not like it lowers his value or anything. He is still a full-fledged Fire Emblem character.

@Bowserlick

Fire Emblem is far too large to only get one representative. It is a very popular franchise and will have its 10th, I think, game come out in its 17th year. Fire Emblem should get atleast 3 characters. If we are lucky enough we could get 4 characters consisting of Marth, Sigurd, Roy, and Lyn/Ike.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
There are still more unique and more important characters than Roy so he really should be replace. Even Eliwuss is more important to the FE series than he is.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Well he was arguably the main lord of FE7 the first world wide FE, he was also a main character in FE6, he was the most popular lord from FE7 in Japan. He was a main character in 2 FE games, Roy was main character in one FE game and a cameo in another.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
I'll give you the main lord of FE7, I'm not even sure if Lyn was supposed to be in or not although I still like her. But Eliwood definately wasn't an actual main character in FE6. He was more or less just an important NPC. All in all, Eliwood really didn't do much for the FE series unless you want to take Lyn's only title away from her on account of a mere technicality.

P.S. It would be nice to have an FE cast of Marth, Sigurd, Roy, and Lyn/Ike though.

GenG

Smash Lord
The lords in FE7 are Eliwood and Hector, depends on what difficulty are you playing. Lyndis is the support lord, who have nothing to say in the main plot other than the Caelin incident in the tutorial. I think Japanese players hate (or don't love so much) Lyn because the tutorial: They couldn't skip it without a Fuuin no Tsurugi finished cartridge, a link cable and another GBA.

My bets are Marth, Sigurd and Ike. I just can't pick a GBA lord, there are too many of them and all about the same "importance" to me. But one of them would be my 4th.

PD: I'm glad they splitted the tutorial from the main game in FE PoR, you can access it whenever you want, and if you are an experienced FE player, you don't need to see again that "move the unit to this square" crap.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Actually, I think your good friend Eliwuss (or Hector) was more of the Western equivalent to Marth, as GenG pointed out Lyn was more the "tutorial lord" and just a support lord afterwards. I like Lyn and all, but lets not get things out of perspective. And I wouldn't be too suprised if FE7 wasn't represented in SSBB, as both FE8 and FE9 seem to be more widely known in the West.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FE8 had the better sales than FE7, in Japan and internationally overall. I don't know what the case is Downunder, but you really ought not hold that as the standard of the Western scene as a whole...

GenG

Smash Lord
One character per storyline/continent should do well. Because these cover at least two games.

Akaneia: Marth
Jugdral: Sigurd/Celice (Sigurd is more popular, but Celice was the main, who finished the job)
Elibe: Roy/Lyndis/Hector/Eliwood (pick one)
Tellius: Ike (because Goddess of Dawn takes place 3 years after PoR, we'll see him for sure)

And the always underreped "Gaiden" titles, FE2 and Sacred Stones. Ephraim and Eirika all the way (Alm and Serika are out of this). But I doubt these two are being considered.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lyndis and Hector are the best choices for Elibe. Alm and Ephriam are the best choices for the "gaiden" titles. I think Mikaya is the most unique choice for a Tellius representative but unfortunatly Ike is the most likely.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I have nothing against Roy. He can have a unique moveset...he had a flaming sword, did he not? They could even change Marth to a fencing style and keep Roy the way he is.

But, logically, he just doesn't seem likely to stay, given that the GBA FEs are not particularly popular in their home country and Path of Radiance has come and is popular all over the place, meaning a character from it has a pretty great chance. We don't know what the Smash team is looking for when deciding who's not staying, but considering that Roy was thrown in at the last minute for the purpose of advertising...outlook not so good.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I like Roy and I main him, so I would like to see him get a second chance with a more unique moveset BUT in the event that he can't be fixed up then I'd be okay with him going.

That being said I can see him leaving anyway, and as long as its Sigurd who replaces him and not lame Ike then I'd be okay with it.

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Why should Roy go? There was so many Mario characters in SSBM I could puke. I want Roy stay. They put in Three FE characters in it. WHY NOT KEEP BOT MARTH AND ROY and then add 2 more FE. Infact I think four should be the minimum, FE is a very big series. I mean come on, the Wii can handle it!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I don't really think FE has elevated itself as a series to be deserving of 4 characters. Mario has so many characters because he is Mario and he is Nintendo, thats why he has so many.

Sure 3 FE characters would be nice, 4 would be too much to ask I think.

I like Roy, but if he's moves can't be fixed up then I don't see a need for him to stay.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
All Roy and Marth need are a couple of move swaps from Melee.

Roy needs his Over+B and Up+B changed. With Over+B being his ranged attack and Up+B basically being a really high jump that is mainly used for recovery, maybe with the possibility of a second jump from kicking off of something. He also needs his counter lengthend somewhat and his B shortened or take away the instant KO to make it faster.

Marth needs his Down+B and B attacks changed. I can't really inform much on this because I haven't gotten around to playing FE1/3 yet.

Other than that Roy needs to be stronger and slightly faster whereas Marth needs to be weakened. Because there was absolutely no reason for the weakest FE Lord, Marth, to be stronger than another one.

Top Bottom