• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Roy FAQ version 1.2

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I didn't want to make a new thread, but I have a problem. I'm in the habit of not letting go of the shield button after a wavedash, causing me to shield right after the wavedash. is there any good ways to break this habit?
Get better or shield grab. I'd suggest getting better, but, against Marth for example, shield his fsmash, wavedash out of shield towards him, just keep holding L and grab him. Then you get 5% free damage since you aren't doing anything else out of that grab. Neutral hit him a bit. Haven't played Roy for awhile, but I'm pretty sure he can't do anything else out of that grab. The best that you can do is dthrow at low percentages and pray that they don't tech or get their DI right. You can also tech chase them. Mix-up with fthrow so they don't get the DI right more often.

Or play Marth. I'd suggest that as general advice for playing Roy overall.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I like how you assumed that because I had a bad habit I needed to get better in general. but too late, I already broke the habit. I haven't played SSBM for a while though, I got a DS now :).

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
Thank 2 the people who made this thread... I jsut started playing around with Roy yesterday and then today i decided to see if i actually like him as a player... Reading this thread really helped me understand the basics of Roy and now i dont want 2 play with falco or fox anymore... But i am gonna post some videos of my roy next month when i get back from winter break... i'll show yall the progress i made so far, i hope ya'll like them...

angel_without_heart

Smash Apprentice
Down Air:
An arching slash below.
Damage 5-9%
Total: 68
Hit: 7-10
IASA: 64
Auto cancel: <6 55>
Landlag: 32
Lcanceled: 16
MookieRah: This move comes in handy from time to time. It typically knocks the opponent in the air which can set up for nice combos. It can also spike if you hit them with this attack while you are slightly below the opponent or if they are pretty much on your back, but it's considered one of the worst spikes in the game. One last thing, if you hit your opponent from directly left it will launch your opponent up and to the right and vice versa if you hit your opponent on the right. Kinda odd *shrug*.
Azen: Shouldn't really be used ever, but use it occasionally to keep your game diverse. Don't use it into someone but away from them.
Neo: Don't use.
Rebel581: A great aerial. Knocks opponents off the ground at a perfect height for any move. But this MUST be l-cancelled. It is more imperative that you l-cancel this more than any other aerial. Just look at the landlag without an l-cancel.

how can you considere down air like a great aerial man?

comboking

Smash Master
Hahaha

Down Air:
An arching slash below.
Damage 5-9%
MookieRah: This move comes in handy from time to time. It typically knocks the opponent in the air which can set up for nice combos. It can also spike if you hit them with this attack while you are slightly below the opponent or if they are pretty much on your back, but it's considered one of the worst spikes in the game. One last thing, if you hit your opponent from directly left it will launch your opponent up and to the right and vice versa if you hit your opponent on the right. Kinda odd *shrug*.
Azen: Shouldn't really be used ever, but use it occasionally to keep your game diverse. Don't use it into someone but away from them.
Rebel581: A great aerial. Knocks opponents off the ground at a perfect height for any move. But this MUST be l-cancelled. It is more imperative that you l-cancel this more than any other aerial. Just look at the landlag without an l-cancel.

very very carefully
HAHAHA

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Down Air:
An arching slash below.
Damage 5-9%

I find Down Air can be occasionally useful for it's meteor smash, granted they're over the edge, but tipping them in the air has too much ending lag to follow it up with anything. Rebel581 was assuming that you'd hit the ground before doing your next attack. at that time if they can attack you or tech your attack then the combo is done. you can't tech chase after a Dair, L-cancel or not.

LSDX

Wah!
I've been using Roy for quite sometime now and ledgehopping the Nair isn't as bad as it sounds, but the Fair would be the best best for trying to gain some space, just needs to be sweetspotted first. Or, if you're really risky, you can try for a ledgehop counter, but only if you can read your opponent and know for SURE that they'll attack you (not recommended).

C_O_L_M

Smash Rookie
I've been having trouble with falco recently. I keep getting jab comboed. He jabs me once or twice, stops, jabs again. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what to do, because if I CC I get multi-jabbed by the third hit, and if I don't I get jabbed all the way to t6he edge where I get fsmashed/daired. What should I be doing, or what am I doing wrong?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
DI back from the jab combo? DI forward through the jab combo? DI up through the jab combo? CC and wait to be pushed far enough back to do something? Space so that their jab doesn't hit?

Lots of options ^_^

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Crouch cancel to grab or shield or dtilt. There's like... a million things you could be doing.

C_O_L_M

Smash Rookie
Ah, thanks, but I fold under shield pressure really easily. I sort of freeze up.

I don't know why, I just don't like losing control. Any tips to combat this reaction, or is it a learned instinct?

EDIT: The crouch cancelling under pressure is starting toi come, thanks for the help guys.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
You could also dair out of shield, wavedash out of shield to grab or fsmash, fair out of shield, or just roll, all of these get you away from getting pressured and protecting yourself.

Top Bottom