• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Roy FAQ version 1.2

Husband

Smash Lord
I got mad Neo Training with Roy and my Roy isnt too bad. I think i know about the character Match ups so if you need some details. Just PM me. Happy to help out

Rebel581

Smash Champion
5150 said:
Do you think you could add a section on what characters roy can use counter on as an edge-guard if they:
A: do sweetspot
B: don't sweetspot

I know, for example, that roy can use counter on marth because marth's blade goes through the map and hits roy. However, if marth sweetspots then roy's attack from the counter will miss.

If you need help compiling a list and testing this I'd be happy to help you out.
Seriosuly, I don't want to spell things out in the guide. I might add a section as to which attacks are affected by the sweetspot, but that's it.

Also using counter against Marth's recovery isn't efficient at all. The attack is too weak and doesn't send him back far enough. It might work, but barely. Never tried it.

Oh yea, thanks for the offer Husband.

Banned via Administration
Rebel581 said:
Seriosuly, I don't want to spell things out in the guide. I might add a section as to which attacks are affected by the sweetspot, but that's it.

Also using counter against Marth's recovery isn't efficient at all. The attack is too weak and doesn't send him back far enough. It might work, but barely. Never tried it.

Oh yea, thanks for the offer Husband.
you should TRY IT before you pass judgement on it. it works surprisingly well. given, edgehogging is the ideal thing to do, but when that's not possible countering is quite effective against marth.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
Nice guide. I've read it a couple of months ago though. <_< Anyway, I was just playing Roy today and I found out that a tippered Dtilt almost always leads to a grab. Just thought It would be good to share that. ^___^

Agua

Smash Rookie
Is it me or is there no Character Specific Fighting details here? Lie Roy V. Kirby? I looked at the topic titled "character specific" but there's nothing there just a discussion. I could use a section to print out, cause I've pretty much mastered his moves and can pretty much beat a team of 3 level 9 Roy's in a team match with friendly fire on. (As hard as that is) 'Cause I know Roy but I barely know anyone else (Besides the ones from the orignal SSB and others I barely play)

Agua said:
Is it me or is there no Character Specific Fighting details here? Lie Roy V. Kirby? I looked at the topic titled "character specific" but there's nothing there just a discussion. I could use a section to print out, cause I've pretty much mastered his moves and can pretty much beat a team of 3 level 9 Roy's in a team match with friendly fire on. (As hard as that is) 'Cause I know Roy but I barely know anyone else (Besides the ones from the orignal SSB and others I barely play)
first off stop playing computers liek a nub

next, ill give u a simple rundown of roy vs ?

roy vs fastfallers = gg fastfallers (fox, falcon, falco)

roy vs floaties (almost everyone else) = gg roy

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Great Guide, Rebel. I really like how you did the Azen/Neo etc. thing. Kudos to you, Rebel. And I learned very much from it too!

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
lol this guide is alright nothing really useful ive found that playing roy on ure own is best way 2 learn and ive only seen 1 vid and already my roy has gottn a lot bettr and thats neo v rockcrock the most inspiring roy vid evr so in all honesty the most important thing ny1 shud get out of this thread is thomaz's post nice tho :p

GR81

Smash Apprentice
You can't type... for crap.

Anyway, I think the guide is great for those who are trying to start playing Roy, or those who don't already know the more advanced techniques.

Honestl,y would an advanced Roy player need a guide?

Would a computer repairman need a guide to install a video card?

No.

Aurus

Smash Cadet
Tremendous guide. Comprehensive, easy to understand, and immensely helpful to Roy players (and haters) alike!

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
lol gr81 installing stuffs is same old nevr changes in tournies u gots 2 play against diff styles/ppls/chars so yah an advanced roy playr cud always use a guide to help him do bettr in tournies aftr all roy is such a bad char lol :p

Zanguzen said:
lol gr81 installing stuffs is same old nevr changes in tournies u gots 2 play against diff styles/ppls/chars so yah an advanced roy playr cud always use a guide to help him do bettr in tournies aftr all roy is such a bad char lol :p

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Yea, just a note, this guide probably isn't going to be updated by me again.

Also a character specific section does not need to be added because a far majority or Roy's matchups are fought in the mind and not on the field. The only technical part about Roy is doing the correct move and/or manuever at the correct time. The rest of it is just predicting what's going to happen.

My advice to Roy players, a majority of the time, think before you rush in. A great defense is the best offense. If Roy goes on the offense, he will be pummeled. But Roy can keep a pretty good defense since his shield is decent, his shield grab range is great, and his fair is a great spacer. So good luck to all Roy players. If there's ever a BOMB5 just tell me about it and I'll be there, but otherwise don't expect me to go to many (or any for that matter) tourneys.

Zero34

Smash Lord
you retiring from smash then rebel?

wow...ive learned a lot about roy today. mainly play him defensively and mindgames are his core strategy

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I've been retired since after BOMB4 (which I didn't go to because of parents). That's been since like November. I just haven't bothered to post and say it formally. I still play this game with friends but if I can't make tournaments, I can't get better, I might as well not waste my time on a message board devoted to teh game. I'll be back for SSBR though. You can count on that. I've already got the money for the Revolution and I'm putting it in the bank for safekeeping.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
Also a character specific section does not need to be added because a far majority or Roy's matchups are fought in the mind and not on the field. The only technical part about Roy is doing the correct move and/or manuever at the correct time. The rest of it is just predicting what's going to happen.

lol nice

Rebel581

Smash Champion
5150 said:
Don't worry, I'll handle any questions about roy when you leave.....lol
You told someone not to use Flare Blade to edgeguard in the other topic...

Also, what I like about this guide that Zanguzen brought up is it is created from multiple perspectives so at least one of them has to be right and then you also get to know every aspect of how the move can be used.

Rebel581 said:
You told someone not to use Flare Blade to edgeguard in the other topic...

Also, what I like about this guide that Zanguzen brought up is it is created from multiple perspectives so at least one of them has to be right and then you also get to know every aspect of how the move can be used.
once again............LEARN TO READ IT WAS FOR A ROY DITTO........IF YOU CAN SUCCESSFULLY EDGEGUARD A ROY W/ FLAREBLADE THEN YOUR PLAYING AGAINST BAD PEOPLE.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
5150 said:
once again............LEARN TO READ IT WAS FOR A ROY DITTO........IF YOU CAN SUCCESSFULLY EDGEGUARD A ROY W/ FLAREBLADE THEN YOUR PLAYING AGAINST BAD PEOPLE.
I can, you're just using it the wrong way.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Umm, I can think of a lot of instances in which I could edgeguard a Roy with flareblade. Hell, I have edgeguarded Marths with flareblade too.

Fthrow off stage at moderate percent and immediately shorthop a flareblade and blazer back on stage. It works on CF really well, and I am pretty sure it would work on Roy too.

MookieRah said:
Umm, I can think of a lot of instances in which I could edgeguard a Roy with flareblade. Hell, I have edgeguarded Marths with flareblade too.

Fthrow off stage at moderate percent and immediately shorthop a flareblade and blazer back on stage. It works on CF really well, and I am pretty sure it would work on Roy too.
im talking about standing on the side as if edgeguarding cfalcon...............jesus

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Edgeguard means to prevent an opponent from getting back on stage. Using the flareblade in any method to prevent someone from coming back would be edgeguarding with flareblade. That includes any tricks or methods in order to do that, like what I mentioned.

So in other words, you can edgeguard a Roy with Flareblade, you just aren't using it right.

Glide

Smash Ace
In general, so long as you're standing on the level, f-smash will do you more good. Not necessarily ALWAYS, but for the most part F-smash does what flare blade does and a tad bit more. Flareblade is really more useful in the air, where you only really have a f-air or n-air to fall back on. Flareblade makes a nice alternative in that it has a good range, but doesn't falter at the ends. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the standards. Lots of n-airs, f-airs, and f-smashes. Although, I've been liking f-tilts a lot more these days.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I'd say Flare Blade's better in every way for edgeguarding. It doesn't have a sweetspot and you need the sweetspot to edgeguard.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Zanguzen said:
lol this guide is alright nothing really useful ive found that playing roy on ure own is best way 2 learn and ive only seen 1 vid and already my roy has gottn a lot bettr and thats neo v rockcrock the most inspiring roy vid evr so in all honesty the most important thing ny1 shud get out of this thread is thomaz's post nice tho :p
You need a learn to type or something because I(or anyone else) can't read you're posts. No offence. :psycho:

Fireblade works on ROy as an edgeguard, there's a trick to it. :psycho:

Glide

Smash Ace
Here's the general idea: there's really two basic scenarios -

Your opponent is trying to sweetspot the ledge, or they're simply trying to land on the level. Yes, it's more complex than that, and yadda yadda yadda, but for simplicity's sake, it generally comes down to one of these two. The third option is quite simply death.

Flareblade is generally a better idea when they're trying to sweet spot the ledge. I say this because I tend to jump out at people if they're gonna try and sweetspot. It's more risky, but it takes away their opportunity to go for the ledge. They're forced to work around you, and with the limited mobility they're givin while off the ledge, it's far more difficult. That's where flare-blade shines: when you can remain mobile with it, and force your opponent into a "****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't" situation.
Especially since landing those f-airs is lame unless you're point blank, and the n-air is exceptionally laggy.

However, while simply standing around, you'll get more bang for your buck with your f-smash. If they're not going for that sweetspot because you're edge hogging, or they're just plain ridiculous and coming in from above, you're gonna wanna stay mobile. That means you won't be able to charge your flare blade too much. Flare blades that are uncharged aren't actually too strong -- They work, but not so well. Again, the only real advantage is that it can be used in the air, and of course the "no sweetspot" thing. In this case, remaining mobile and still packing a punch is a very powerful advantage -- one that, in my opinion, outweighs the flare blade's leniancy in spacing.

roy21

Smash Rookie
im a noob to game and i was wonderin, wat the best most simple tactics are to winning with roy. and duz he have a meteor smash?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
roy21 said:
im a noob to game and i was wonderin, wat the best most simple tactics are to winning with roy. and duz he have a meteor smash?
Da dash alot. up throw, forward-b, d-tilt, u-air, f-air, and fsmash are his best moves
try to juggle the oppenent (using the u-air or f-air) with d-tilt or up throw setups, end with a fsmash or forward-b if possible
and roy doesnt really have a meteor smash since there's rare instances where his upsmash or d-air might send the oppenent downwards (nothing to completely rely on)

GR81

Smash Apprentice
I don't use the U-air, I might try utilizing that. Also, Roy has three meteors, two of which have selected usage.

Roy's U-smash, you have to hit the enemy right at the tip, and they'll go down in the opposite direction of which you're facing.

Roy's D-air, I only got this to meteor once, and I have no idea why it chooses not to forever and ever...

Roy's DED third slash up, it's his standard meteor.

Roy isn't for meteors anyway...

Top Bottom