• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Roy FAQ version 1.2

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Sgt. Conan said:
Thanks for double posting. How about an update section for ledge hoping, ledgehop wavedash, and ledge hop DEDing?
Do you seriously need that? I come back after several months to see what's going on (checking on online SSBM actually) and you're requesting for something that useless? Here's a tip.

Ledge hop: Press back on your controller to avoid accidently fast falling, then slam the opposite direction on the joystick and jump. Roy doesn't have any problems with Battlefield's edge. Samus does, so watch out for that. Oh, and by slam, I mean just bring the joystick in the other direction.

Ledge hop wavedash: You do a ledge hop and end it by airdodging into the ground... did you really need a section in the FAQ for that? It's about Roy, not standard stuff for every character. If you can't figure out how to do that on your own you may want to think about quitting. That's just putting 2 and 2 together.

Ledge hop DED: My suggestion? Don't use it. During a jump, DED will interrupt your momentum. Generally, it'll send you downwards if used in this fashion. When used for recovering, it helps. When moving downwards, DED goes up. When moving up, it goes down. Plus, just getting up from the ledge is usually better. Or Flare Blade. Or rolling. Or jumping (all except FD). Or just dropping and grabbing the ledge again to fake out the opponent. Otherwise, it's pretty much just jump up, make sure you're going downwards, use DED. Experiment.

Roy is about knowing your opponent and knowing yourself. This isn't any psychological stuff about knowing yourself though. If you have mental problems, this isn't the place to take it. I can forcefeed you the basics, but the rest is up to you. There is no fast route to growth.

Basically, no update. The only possible update there would be is taking out anything I comment on. IIRC, when I was leaving the smash community I thought what I was saying was BS. I don't think that would've changed over time not playing the game.

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
Did you have to be like that?

Okay what would have helped me a few days ago.

Ledgehoping with Roy:

When to do it:

Use a ledge hop technique when you are at a high percentage and need a quick recovery from the ledge to the stage, and perform other actions. This can be combined with a sheild to help protect yourself from an incoming attack. Ledgedashing is most used to dash past your opponent when he is edgeguarding, or setting up and edgeguard, use with caution, as a good player will spot this quickly. Ledgehoping with an attack is also very common.

Attack with *blank* when ledgehoping.

Fair:

The most common and best ledgehop attack for Roy, and useful as well when needing a different method of retuning to the stage when an opponent is edgeguarding. Combine with an LC for best results. If messed up will leave you with little punishment, as you can return to the ledge with a ^B.

B:

If done correctly will let you on the stage, and provide decent knockback on your opponent if he is at a decent %. Also has little punishment, allowing for recovery if messed up.

DED:

Use seldomly. Resort to this if you strongly think you can pull it off and get away with it. Downside is that it has a bit of punishment if continued to combo.

Not recommended for Ledgehop attack are:

Nair:

A nice attack, but if messed up leaves no room for recovery back on to ledge.

Uair:

Not a strong attack, and no real recovery if messed up.

Dair:

Same concept as Uair.

See? You didn't have to be all mean and hard, you could have actually spent some time to help someone.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Just pointing out, I did just post all of that except for labelling out the useless attacks. I just stuck a nasty tone in it to convey my point that putting something like that in is spoon feeding you everything and doesn't belong. The guide has a place where it mentions what ledgehopping is. That should be enough. I shouldn't need to create an entire section on it when it's not vital to Roy's game and other options from the ledge are generally a better idea. The only time I can think of ledge hopping being really useful with Roy are above 100% as a desperate attempt and when you know for a fact nothing else will work. And I cannot think of any reason to ledgehop with a DED... ever. You will almost always have to recover back to the ledge. If you place it so you don't, Marth's fsmash will EAT YOU! If anyone can think of one than you can do it. I don't encourage everyone to be creative. Just unless you win a tournament solely because of this something, don't lecture me about it being useful or not. If a tournament winning Roy wants to update this FAQ, go ahead. You have my permission.

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
Rebel581 said:
Just pointing out, I did just post all of that except for labelling out the useless attacks. I just stuck a nasty tone in it to convey my point that putting something like that in is spoon feeding you everything and doesn't belong. The guide has a place where it mentions what ledgehopping is. That should be enough. I shouldn't need to create an entire section on it when it's not vital to Roy's game and other options from the ledge are generally a better idea. The only time I can think of ledge hopping being really useful with Roy are above 100% as a desperate attempt and when you know for a fact nothing else will work. And I cannot think of any reason to ledgehop with a DED... ever. You will almost always have to recover back to the ledge. If you place it so you don't, Marth's fsmash will EAT YOU! If anyone can think of one than you can do it. I don't encourage everyone to be creative. Just unless you win a tournament solely because of this something, don't lecture me about it being useful or not. If a tournament winning Roy wants to update this FAQ, go ahead. You have my permission.
All I'm saying is that every aspect of the character should have been covered, even the smallest detail, such as ledgehoping, because everything else is covered well in the FAQ. My sincerest appologies.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
roy has a very good wavedash. make sure to move the control stick diagonally but almost horizontal for more length

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
okay i guess its because ive been pressing perfectly diagnal
now i need to 4get that and work on the right way to do it

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Roy has a very good wavedash and IMO is the best (or easiest to learn) edgehogger in the game. Out of the people with longer wavedashes, they are too floaty or their wavedash is too long that occassionally they will fall off the edge or they will not grab the ledge quickly enough. Roy has the longest wavedash and his weight allows him to grab the ledge quickly and consistently. But this is all opinion based so take it with a grain of salt. Someone can easily argue that Marth is better at edgehogging due to better aerials and a longer wavedash.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Updated with a small two sentences on how to do the 3rd and 4th hit of the DED. I can't believe I missed putting that in. Plus, I'm getting annoyed at that question being asked over and over again.

Kib0U

Smash Journeyman
Nice Dude I think This Should Help Me a lot. i kinda just picked up roy tonight and i was just wondering if i could get your opinion on what is the best move to do right after you l-cancle the f-air. i usual just do the d-tilt and f-smash if its a floater and try to chain grap if its a fastfaller.

one more thing do you think roy is better againts floaties or fastfallers?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Rebel (Don't worry, I won't call you by your real name), you better let me duel you at school on the free play days. O yeah, good FAQ/Guide, helped me a lot.

JMSiebach

Smash Rookie
thx for this
btw contact tru= and see if you cant get some roy tips from him (maybe vids too!)

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Nice Dude I think This Should Help Me a lot. i kinda just picked up roy tonight and i was just wondering if i could get your opinion on what is the best move to do right after you l-cancle the f-air. i usual just do the d-tilt and f-smash if its a floater and try to chain grap if its a fastfaller.

one more thing do you think roy is better againts floaties or fastfallers?
I'm very curious, how do you use dtilt > fsmash agaisnt a floaty? I didn't think that was possibly unless you were playing against a chair.

Roy is better against fast fallers.

And if you're just picking up Roy, I'd suggest reflecting on why you are playing him and switch if it isn't a **** good reason.

ZABE

Smash Cadet
man those are great tips on roy, i pick up roy because i'm a swords fan
i am trying to be pro with all the swordsman of ssb.
this helps thanks

Evil_MARIO

Smash Rookie
awsome guide. nice description in the moves. I like how you had the thoughts over other good roy players.!

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
IMO this is the most intelligent thread in our forums...
I mean come on, most all the other ones are noobs talking about how he is the best because of T3h PhYr3.
Especially Ragna Rok's thread, once you click that thread your IQ drops like 10 points...
Good faq,
liked the different views on attack's thing.

BTW, I didn't read the faq the last time I was in this thread, lol
And thanks for the help with the WD everyone, it helped...

Seison

Smash Journeyman
I main Fox, but I want to become more comfortable with a few alternates as well; this guide was pretty useful, especially for a Roy-noob such as I. I really liked how you incorporated other experienced Roy players opinions into it.

Great Job, Thanks :D

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Wow, I should have read this before posting a vid...0_o amazing guide!

a few things I've noticed, that I either missed or weren't htere that I'd like clarification on:

his d-tilt: I know it can cancel (IASA frames) but something I may have missed: Maybe people aren't used to roy, but it seems that d-tilt can lead to a JC grab most of the time. Sometimes I think that would be better than an f-smash or n-air--especially against characters who have slow rolls (grab->tech-chase). It also seems that you can use it to get that quick damage in before a f-throw to f-smash/n-air. In other words--am I missing something obvious here to make it less effective, or what?

his u-air: something that wasn't mentioned in the aerial combos or approach section. Although it has the obvious use of juggling certain people at certain %, a delayed shffled u-air is a great combo starter. It pops them up (I think even if they are crouching ,but again it could be the people I play against) for a number of options...you can also use it as an approach, as you can jump through them and attack the back of their shield if you think you are going to get shieldgrabbed. Not as safe an approach as the n/f-air, but is there any glaring reason it's a bad approach (even if just occasionally as a "mind game")?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
how many first parts of his ded should I use while recovering? I usually use 2

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
here's some DEDs i like
>B^B^BvB (or >B>B^BvB)-does great damage, and keeps the enemy close
>B>BvBvB-possibly the best shield poke in the game.
>B^B^B (or>B>B^B)-great on edgegaurding foxes or falcos, once they meteor cancel you counter. you can also add the fourth ^B if you have the time.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
his d-tilt: I know it can cancel (IASA frames) but something I may have missed: Maybe people aren't used to roy, but it seems that d-tilt can lead to a JC grab most of the time. Sometimes I think that would be better than an f-smash or n-air--especially against characters who have slow rolls (grab->tech-chase). It also seems that you can use it to get that quick damage in before a f-throw to f-smash/n-air. In other words--am I missing something obvious here to make it less effective, or what?
first off, JC stands for jump cancel. you can only use it while dashing, because a normal grab is the same as a JCed one. And Dtilt involves crouching, and crouching immediately cancels the dash. So the real question is "why don't you grab?" And if you think grabbing is a better option, whats the point in Dtilting and then grabbing when you can just JC grab. And people do do this. but then once in a grab all you can do is chainthrow (if it's a fastfaller), or Dthrow Fsmash. many people, including myself, thinks it's normally better to Dtilt because it leads into a combo of juggles.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Wow.. a lot of reading but o so worth it. I am a huge fan of the DED and use it almost too much. It really comes in useful against my friends Cpt. Falcon who likes to fast fall the Fair. With the first hit of the DED all forward motion by the enemy is cancelled leaving them open for a grab or another quick attack.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I didn't want to make a new thread, but I have a problem. I'm in the habit of not letting go of the shield button after a wavedash, causing me to shield right after the wavedash. is there any good ways to break this habit?

Top Bottom