• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy 3.5

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
Everything more or else is decent. I only have 1 complaint, the change of his sweetspot's hitbox. It seems like only the hitbox closest to his body activates it. Not sure if it was like that before but I would have liked it if the hitbox was reverted back to 3.02's. The change from meteor to spike is really cool but unfortunately with this change it makes it a lot more difficult to do and just not worth it. I feel like this keeps me away from using Dair a little.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
So i'm not the only one who finds it harder to hits. The arm hitbox seems to have less priority than before which sucks but the back is the same.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I personally feel Roy doesn't kill as early as he did. Perhaps that's because of a harder sweetspot or am I nuts? Dair still hits fairly easy for me as of right now

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
I personally feel Roy doesn't kill as early as he did. Perhaps that's because of a harder sweetspot or am I nuts? Dair still hits fairly easy for me as of right now
I haven't really felt that but I still have to play more. I think this new Dair is pretty good but this sweetspot is driving me nuts. I'm not sure where they wanted to put the sweetspot in this version but it looks very awkward from my debug testing.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
It is certainly a weird move to hit. Thankfully fair and dtilt hits at angles where dair followup is possible. Fair heavy di dependant, much like with marth. I was testing and got it from other moves too.

swiftwinter

Smash Rookie
The 2 extra frames of lag on his uair is real noticeable to me. Taking some time for me to get used to it. And yeah his sweetspot seems even harder to hit on his dair.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
He still kills the same not much was changed for him. The dair thing is bugging me too though lol

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Sweetspot on Dair is harder but coming from Melee it's not too bad. Really it's honestly for the better because once people adjust it's going to be like 20x as reliable and still good to combo into. It's about time they made it a gosh darn spike, I remember seeing Sethlon hit M2K's marth with it before 3.5 and watching the meteor cancel right after made me sad.

My best advice for landing the sweetspot is just position your body at the right spot and Dair since the hitbox above looks like it's inside Roy's Torso almost. We'll get it down to a fine art, I'm sure.

Last edited:

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
I've been practicing and getting it pretty consistently now, but I still think the hitbox should be closer to what it was in 3.02. I'm kind of happy they changed the insane KB it had though because know I can combo off of it a lot better.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I feel like if it was any easier to hit it would be borderline absurd a lil' though. You can still set up into it pretty reliably so I think it's a fair trade off. We'll see down the road but right now this boy's gonna get used to it, see where he can go.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I don't think it would be too bad with 3.02 hitbox. Not like it was easy to hit there, just easier on the side. Now it feels like you gotta hit from the top, which gives a worse angle.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
He still kills the same not much was changed for him. The dair thing is bugging me too though lol
After a bit yeah he still kills the same.

I've been hitting easy Dair Sweetspots with a decent set up. Get to an edge, wavedash on to the ledge. Jump IN to your opponent and hit the dair. Works pretty well if your opponent doesn't read it. (For me at least)

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
The change on the dair hitbox makes it a lot more difficult to get a dair kill from ledge as somebody is recovering. The uair lag took a bit to get used to, but I finally have it down. On a related note: I don't know about you guys, but it feels like uair shffls are much more difficult to pull off on an opponent. It feels as if the hitboxes were changed and the sour spot was either enlarged or re-positioned. Dair soft spot feels larger as well, meaning life for Lucas will be all the worse when he tries to recover with tether and you dair from ledge. I personally enjoyed the meteor more because of the enlarged hitbox and it could set up for a tech chase at zero while being a viable kill option if the opponent is recovering while you're holding ledge. That being said, I still enjoy the spike. Another kill option is always nice, and the lower knockback makes tech chasing at higher percents easier. Even though the changes are minuscule, I believe it may take me a little bit to get used to them. luckily for us, Roy wasn't targeted as hard as some of the other members of the cast. This may increase his viability across the board when it comes to MU's. (Not that it wasn't already pretty good if you had solid fundamentals)

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
The change on the dair hitbox makes it a lot more difficult to get a dair kill from ledge as somebody is recovering. The uair lag took a bit to get used to, but I finally have it down. On a related note: I don't know about you guys, but it feels like uair shffls are much more difficult to pull off on an opponent. It feels as if the hitboxes were changed and the sour spot was either enlarged or re-positioned. Dair soft spot feels larger as well, meaning life for Lucas will be all the worse when he tries to recover with tether and you dair from ledge. I personally enjoyed the meteor more because of the enlarged hitbox and it could set up for a tech chase at zero while being a viable kill option if the opponent is recovering while you're holding ledge. That being said, I still enjoy the spike. Another kill option is always nice, and the lower knockback makes tech chasing at higher percents easier. Even though the changes are minuscule, I believe it may take me a little bit to get used to them. luckily for us, Roy wasn't targeted as hard as some of the other members of the cast. This may increase his viability across the board when it comes to MU's. (Not that it wasn't already pretty good if you had solid fundamentals)
I do agree. Uair strings are pretty hard for me, even though I got used to the lag difference rather fast. I feel like I sour spot way too much now.

I also think Roy will be a much better character when comparing to other characters. (RIP Diddy and Lucas)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
The tip of roy's up air is actually good for juggles depending on character. Never played an actual match but not certain how much the upair lag effects juggles. Better be not at all and just requires better timing. Even with the worse hitbox roy''s new dair is probably a net gain. Overall we should be solid in 3.5. Less overblown stuff all around so everyone is on our level.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Up air is a little rough for me. I like to be flashy, and I used to love up airing low and get a pivot grab off of it. Its funny, but that LITTLE BIT of extra lag means I can't get the pivot grab anymore.

Another flashy move gone :C

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
The tip of roy's up air is actually good for juggles depending on character. Never played an actual match but not certain how much the upair lag effects juggles. Better be not at all and just requires better timing. Even with the worse hitbox roy''s new dair is probably a net gain. Overall we should be solid in 3.5. Less overblown stuff all around so everyone is on our level.
I'll wait for some Sethlon gameplay (Or another great Roy player) to demonstrate Uair before I call it nixed.

I agree Roy got the good end of the stick here.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
On the bright side: My DACUS success rate is now 100%! Missing a DACUS now is much harder to do than 3.02. Oh and side-B's meteor has been reworked a little bit. The third hit now has more than just a meteor box. It has a box that knocks players up. Landing meteors with that move are a little bit more difficult but it isn't too bad because it sets up for a possible dair spike and keeps them off the stage.
EDIT: Oh and when they said the fourth downward hit of side-B couldn't be absorbed, what did they mean? Does it mean by crouch cancels? It can't be by shield because I tested that out myself and shields can, in fact, take the fourth downward hit.

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong. no way it is nixed, just I mean, I loved the old upair and used it a lot. Shame if I can't combo it like I used to. I probably can, or at least almost the same.

Kosyne

Smash Rookie
Glad the dair thing wasn't just me... Yeah, it was already widely considered an odd hitbox in 3.02, but this is kinda meh D:

Then again, I actually kinda liked his old dair being a meteor.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Don't get me wrong. no way it is nixed, just I mean, I loved the old upair and used it a lot. Shame if I can't combo it like I used to. I probably can, or at least almost the same.
I agree with you. I'm starting to string them better. Just requires a bit more consistency and more persistence with placement.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Oh and when they said the fourth downward hit of side-B couldn't be absorbed, what did they mean? Does it mean by crouch cancels? It can't be by shield because I tested that out myself and shields can, in fact, take the fourth downward hit.
For some strange reason, in 3.02 the 4th downward hit was an energy attack, meaning it could be absorbed by Lucas and Ness and bucketed by G&W.

thejuggler

Smash Cadet
NNID
thejugglr
The real question is, When is the next big pm tournament that sethlon will be in so we can see him play 3.5 Roy?
And I too have noticed Roy's sweetspot being changed. For a little while I thought I was crazy!

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
For some strange reason, in 3.02 the 4th downward hit was an energy attack, meaning it could be absorbed by Lucas and Ness and bucketed by G&W.
That's crazy! I may have to boot up 3.02 real fast to check this myself haha. Got to play my Mewtwo friend today. The nerfs have not been kind to him, but I believe Mewtwo isn't dead. They increased his hover speed, meaning he can follow opponents in the air faster for easier gimps off stage. His Dtilt is also pretty fast now, so watch out for that.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
The real question is, When is the next big pm tournament that sethlon will be in so we can see him play 3.5 Roy?
And I too have noticed Roy's sweetspot being changed. For a little while I thought I was crazy!
We have a weekly here in Dallas that Sethlon attends sometimes, maybe you'll see his Roy htere.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
We have a weekly here in Dallas that Sethlon attends sometimes, maybe you'll see his Roy htere.
Is it streamed? I'd love to check it out.

As for me, I think everything I've noticed has been mentioned already. I really do love the new Awakening recolor though. Looks fantastic.

I was extremely happy when dair became a spike after watching Sethlon Ken combo a few times and get gipped by a simple up-b.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Actually ive been getting that too. Im not sure as to why but it just feels a bit more difficult.

Im a bit uncertain as to how I feel about roy in 3.5. it feels like they nerfed him even though he was really well balanced and not by any means OP, but maybe I just need to get used to the changes.

How do people feel about the changes that were mentioned in the list? I do appreciate faster walk speed.

D

Deleted member

roy is my only definite vote for top tier in 3.5

maybe sheik but most sheik players are awful

i told a few of the texas kids yesterday that i think alex will be having a reallllll good year

Taytertot

Smash Ace
roy is my only definite vote for top tier in 3.5
Really? Personally it feels like roy is worse then he was in 3.02. He already didn't have safe pressure options like fox for example so he relies on careful positioning and it looks like he got more nerfs then buffs in 3.5. What's your reasoning for feeling that hes top tier now?

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I was just playing roy on defino in training and I was on the top platform. The platform was moving down to the small sandy beach and I was using DED and as soon as the platform went out from under me I flew across to the end of the right side of the beach (the side that I was DEDing towards)?! It was around the speed of samus' SWD.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Really? Personally it feels like roy is worse then he was in 3.02. He already didn't have safe pressure options like fox for example so he relies on careful positioning and it looks like he got more nerfs then buffs in 3.5. What's your reasoning for feeling that hes top tier now?
A lot of other, better characters were nerfed a hell of a lot harder though.

The nerfs he received were slight, uair lag being the most notable, but he also got buffs to counter and maybe even override the nerfs overall. Dair becoming a spike is huge.

Never again. NEVER. This enraged me to no end.

His walk speed being faster is really good too, since it'll make his ftilt and jab even more versatile than they were.

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
I didn't like the changes of DED first three hits getting the same properties they had in melee. their KB angles are not that useful now as before in my opinion.

@ Hellrazor Hellrazor
That pissed me off so much also, thank goodness for it being a spike now.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Hey, did they change his final smash properties? Like, if you press B during the dash, it will automatically explodes into the fire pillar, but now... it only activates when it hit someone! Same for Marth! This means that if you use it in midair you can't cancel it! Is this a problem with my project m download or it is a actual change?

Taytertot

Smash Ace
The nerfs he received were slight, uair lag being the most notable, but he also got buffs to counter and maybe even override the nerfs overall. Dair becoming a spike is huge.
While I agree that having a spike is great and the counter now being better I feel that these two things aren't incredibly useful as far as roy's gameplan and abilities. having a spike is great but if he doesn't have a great way to set up for it then its usefulness goes down. yes that one match of sethlon vs m2k would have benefited from roy having a spike but generally roy cant combo into the dair like that and it was only m2k's DI and sethlon's great positioning that made the situation possible. The counter isnt well used to begin with so although Im glad it covers his body better, counter isnt something i use much of or see much of from roy players. the DED input window frames being reduced means that you cant throw out the next one as quickly which is an unfortunate nerf though I'll admit 2 frames isnt much but it does make it much easier to SDI out of and I feel that DED was one of his better pressure options as a follow up from an aerial (such as uair) on shield. DED being able to clank with objects is kind of a buff though maybe not a large one. As you pointed out uair was one of the biggest nerfs because it served a large purpose in his combo game. and faster walk is very nice for pushing up to take stage control which is a great buff.

But, all in all my point is that while he did get some cool buffs they may not play a major role in his gameplay like people may be hoping where as the nerfs effect important aspects of roy's gameplan. Now maybe I'm wrong and players will find ways to make the buffs great and reduce the negitive effects of the nerfs, but as of now I'm a bit iffy on the changes.

Top Bottom