• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Display Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Here's my Prediction

Notes:

Bowser jr: For the Mario rep, I was choosing between him and Paper Mario. Both of them have a pretty good chance but I ultimately picked BJ because he has been in more recent games.

K Rool: He's extremely popular and the most likely choice for a DK rep. The only thing going against him is the fact that he hasn't been in any recent games

Zelda/Impa: This one is a bit tricky. I think that Impa will replace Sheik because was only in one Zelda game and Impa is a recurring character. Impa doesn't necessarily have to inherit Sheik's moves or be a transformation for Zelda.

Ghirahim: Even though he is just a one time character(like Midna), I think he is a bit more viable because he fits the style of a smash bros fighter more than midna/wolflink

Mewtwo: A popular choice and has became more relevant due to his 6th gen appearance.

Krystal: I included her because I simply do not see why it's Star Fox can't have 4 reps because Star Fox as a series, has more Viable candidates than many of the more important nintendo franchises that fit into smash bros.

Ridley: Extremely popular and important character but the only thing going against him is the argument of size. While I think this argument is not a valid one considering how he looked during Melee's intro, Sakurai himself does. So even though Ridley may seem to be very likely to be included, I don't think he is as likely as everyone thinks.

Palutena: The most popular Kid Icarus Choice and second most important character in the series. Frankly there are other people in this game that I think would fit the game better(like Magnus, Hades, or Phosphora) but they arn't as popular.

Shulk: Not much going against him, It's just up to Sakurai whether he wants to include him

Isaac: don't know much about the golden sun series but it seems that he is a likely candidate.

Retro: I think Lil Mac and Takamaru are the most likely candidates because of their recent revival and popularity.

Lloyd Irving: I'd say Lloyd has a very likely chance since the Tales creator would like him in and is working close with Sakurai. It's Ultimately up to Sakurai whether or not to pick Lloyd over Pacman.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
My predicted roster:

Reasoning:

Chrom: Awakening needs a rep, and Chrom is both the most high-profile and the most popular (I think?) Awakening character. Guaranteed inclusion.

Ike staying: Awakening was hugely popular, likely enough so to warrant a bump to 3 slots for the series.

Ridley: Metroid needs another rep, and he has more fan support than potentially any other possible inclusion. Plus, he just looks damn cool! He'd be a great addition.

Mewtwo (for Lucario): Lucario is no longer relevant, while Mewtwo is coming back into the limelight with the newest games. The fact that he was cut from a previous game also bolsters his chances of returning.

Isaac: Potential for a fun moveset, decent fan support, and an assist trophy in Brawl all combine to make him a likely inclusion.

Palutena: If Nintendo wants to continue Kid Icarus as a modern franchise, including another rep is a good way to do so, and Palutena is one of the most high-profile choices from the remaining Kid Icarus cast. Plus, Sakurai himself is of course heavily involved with Kid Icarus, which doesn't hurt the franchise's chances of another rep!

Andy: The entire Wars series has yet to receive a rep in Smash, despite spanning several decades, many consoles and 4 games in the Advance Wars series alone. Out of the Wars series, Advance Wars in particular is very popular in the West, so an AW character makes sense as a way for Nintendo to include newcomers which appeal to both Western and Eastern fans. Whether or not Intelligent Systems is making a new Advance Wars game will likely determine whether we get an AW rep, and as recent interviews suggest that a new AW game may be in the works, AW's chances for a rep are good.

Andy, Sami, or Max all have decent odds for inclusion; Andy is the main character in AW1, the trio shares equal screentime in AW2, and Andy does not appear in AWDS's campaign while Sami and Max play important roles. That said, Andy is still the likeliest inclusion as I'm fairly certain he is the most recognizable AW character.

Shulk: Xenoblade Chronicles was very popular, widely hailed, and has a sequel coming. Shulk is a smart inclusion for Nintendo to both cross-promote upcoming games and to please fans.

Little Mac: As a Brawl assist trophy, Little Mac's chances are already decent. Combine that with his appeal to Western audiences, the revival of the Punch-Out! series, and the ease with which he transfers to the fighting game environment, and I find him to be an extremely likely inclusion.

Lloyd: Namco is working very closely with Nintendo to make Smash 4, and we know that the Tales developer really wants one of his characters in Smash. Given that appeals to include characters have worked before (see: Snake) I am quite confident that we'll be seeing a Tales character.

Mega Man: Nintendo needs another jaw-dropping announcement to rival that of Snake for Brawl. Mega Man is that announcement. An iconic character with a history almost as storied as Mario, Mega Man certainly deserves inclusion in Smash if any third-party character does. Mega Man also fits the theme and "feel" of Smash very well with his stylized design and colorful moveset. As an iconic video game character with a massive fanbase who has been snubbed in recent years, Mega Man's inclusion in Smash would allow Nintendo to generate massive hype while helping to repair Capcom's rather bruised relationship with the MM fanbase.

Plus, it is his 25th anniversary...

My ideal roster (only changes from predicted roster discussed)

Changes:
Sami over Andy: Sami, Andy, and Max are all instantly recognizable as the protagonists of Advance Wars. I prefer Sami to Andy because Andy is too likely to be Pit levels of annoying, and I prefer Sami to Max because it's nice to have more female reps and Max, as a big, slow character, would likely be terrible.

Bayonetta over Snake: Either character fills the role of a third-party whose theme makes their inclusion in Smash very surprising. Snake was cool, but I have no real particular attachment to him, nor does Nintendo. Bayonetta allows Nintendo to cross-promote an upcoming WiiU exclusive and is just plain a really fun character. She would be extremely difficult to fit into Smash, however. The problem isn't even her guns, either. It's making her fit in a T rating without destroying her character.

Anna over Ike: While Ike is almost certain to be kept if FE jumps to 3 reps, I find that Anna represents FE as a franchise far better than any single lord, with the exception of Marth. She also has the potential for a more entertaining moveset that does not have to be based entirely around swords.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
4/30/2013

Educated guesses on my prediction roster!
image.jpg

I fixed my roster up for before E3. Lets see what you all think.

6/9/2013

fixed Roster.png

And here is some of the method behind the madness:

mario series: No one new is important enough to warrant inclusion besides bowser jr. but I opted him out. Could make good DLC.

DK series: King K is hugely popular and hugely awesome. No newcomers are shoo-ins at this point, but King K is about as close as you can get. As for Dixie, she could warrant inclusion in future titles but for now I'm not seeing it.

Paper Mario: This guy is the star of 4 different hit nintendo titles. The only thing standing in his way is that he shares identities with mario. I dont think this is a problem though since he would 99% likely have a unique moveset.

TakaMac: For Takamaru I dont know where its coming from but he is overflowing with popularity even though he has only had one crappy japan only game. He is an awesome samurai though so I got no complaints. Little Mac is also popular, and with some good games to back him up.

Retros: While the ice climbers aren't very popular, their moveset is too unique to see them going anywhere. As for balloon fighter, from what I hear his old game was pretty good, plus he just got revived in nintendo land. Ive always had a thing for the guy too, I just think he would have an awesome moveset.

R.O.B.: I dropped Rob before, but Neon convinced me to put him back on my roster. Round of applause for Neon.

Pokemon: Dropped Lucario and added Mewtwo. Mewtwo will likely be back with Newtwo transformation no sense debating his inclusion. As for Lucario I opted hi out for space constraints, great old veteran DLC opportunity.

Shulsaac: Shulks game is incredibly popular and incredibly awesome and a great new franchise. Perfect mix for a great character. As for Isaac his game is less popular, but is already in a series and it is pretty awesome as well. Also Isaac could potentially have one of the most unique and awesome movesets we've seen yet, so color me excited for that.

Fire Emblem series (My Expertise): Marth is staying due to having become the face of the franchise and starring in 4-5 games due to whether or not you count awakening's marth as an appearance. I cut Ike before, but playing through Path of Radiance has changed my mind. Try playing through Path of Radiance and NOT wanting Ike, I dare you. As for Chrom he is the face of the latest fire emblem game which was the best selling and saved the series from damnation. Plus he is pretty baller himself. I would think that he has a great shot in this game and would be surprised and confused if he was not included. Roy is a difficult case. He is incredibly popular among smash fans and they want him back. The thing is really the only thing going for him is his veteranship. I feel that if he was included he would end up being a last minute clone. But I feel like Sakurai will decide to save him for DLC. I am still sure we will see both Roy and Chrom in this game though.

metroid: Im actually surprisingly on edge about including ridley. The importance and popularity are definetly both there but my problem is of course with his size. I know many of you are saying size doesnt matter but I would have to say that people saying that are wrong. The fact of the matter is size MIGHT not matter. But it still very well could. Wasnt Ridley considered a shoo-in for brawl? Well than why was he not included? The answer could very well be his size. Right now I am 50/50 on Ridley but decided to include him to not piss people off. Be sure that if he is not playable, he will definetly still be around as a boss.

Kid Icarus series: Palutena is important, popular, and her last game was made by sakurai himself. The only way she wont be in the game is if someone else from kid icarus is.

Dillon: dont know much about this armadillo but he looks pretty awesome and comes from one of the best eshop games. Nintendo seems to be promoting the eshop more and more so his inclusion is not farfetched.

3rd parties: the world would explode if sonic were taken out. I personally wouldnt care but for certain the world would explode. Megaman is the most popular new 3rd party addition. This is in no way a guarantee of his inclusion, but it is at least a show that sakurai will strongly consider him. As for yoshimitsu I chose him as my namco rep since he is featured in both soul calibur and tekken. I also dont care how many of you think he is super unlikely and that he ruins my roster, he is staying where he is. As for cutting snake I feel he is expendable since he is third party and sakurai has stated he doesnt want the game to be overflowing with 3rd parties. I would think that two is the limit plus a namco character for helping witht the game. and mega man and sonic are definetly the most likely to take those spots. so sorry snake.

Good DLC choices: Bowser Jr., Lucario, Roy, Krystal, Snake, Goroh, Another Kid Icarus character like medusa or magnus, original character who comes from the story of smash 4

Skiwage

Smash Rookie
With less than 24 hours until the Nintendo Direct I think I'll go and give my predicted roster:

I pretty much don't expect anyone cut for whatever reason and expect to possibly have the return of Mewtwo and Roy.

I might add my reasoning later and should have added some possible 3rd party newcomers to this roster.

watzup7856

Smash Rookie
*= newcomer
**= returning

Mario Series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Yoshi Series:
Yoshi

Wario Series:
Wario

Donkey Kong Series:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
*Dixie Kong
*King K. Rool

Zelda Series:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Metroid Series:
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
*Ridley

Kid Icarus Series:
Pit
*Palutena
*Magnus

Kirby Series:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King DeDeDe

StarFox Series:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
*Krystal

F-Zero Series:
Captain Falcon
*Samurai Goroh

Fire Emblem Series:
Marth
Ike
*Chrom

Earthbound/Mother Series:
Ness
Lucas
*Masked Man
*Ninten

Pokemon Series:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
*Zoroark
**Mewtwo

Other:
Ice Climbers
Olimar
R.O.B.
Mr. Game & Watch
*Isaac
*Saki
*Little Mac
*Takamaru
*Sukapon
*Prince Sable

Third Parties:
Sonic
Snake
*Mega Man
*Pac Man

55 characters

some of this i just wishful thinking, but many on here i believe have a good chance of making it.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

most realistic roster ever

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

This is mine. It's pretty much a mix between what I want and what I expect. Ultimately, this is my ideal roster.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace

So I guess this is my first go at a roster. wanted to keep some "surprise" characters" in there. Mostly okay with it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Given the news that some character are being cut, the 3DS is gonna limit the overall roster, and the reveal of the new characters, I think it's in place for me to make a new roster prediction.​
The roster above is a 40 character roster. I'm not sure about the 3DS' capabilities, if it can handle more or if it can even handle this much, but I thought this might be realistic.​
The cut characters are Toon Link, Lucas, Lucario and Ike. Lucas and Toon Link are clones, which is why I removed them. Ike was removed because people have spotted a Fire Emblem: Awakening stage, thus I replaced him with Chrom. Lucario was removed because Mewtwo is looking to be repping Gen VI (didn't use the icon of his new form though, a mistake,) and his popularity is much higher than that of Lucario's anyways. Wolf stays, it was a juggle betwen him or Lucas, but I find Wolf to be more important to the general image of the roster than any of the cut characters, and given how Bowser has been reworked it's definitely not far-fetched to expect Falco and Wolf to be remade too. Other characters I considered cutting were R.O.B and Jigglypuff (the new Fairy-type saved Jiggly though.)​
The newcomers are Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Palutena, Ridley, Chrom and King K. Rool. This makes it 4 new characters from new franchises, and 4 new characters from existing franchises. Mewtwo is the only returning character. Chrom and K. Rool are unlockables as to have at least some newcomers be unlockables.​
There are 18 unlockables (the ones with a red frame,) upping Brawl's amount by 2. Olimar and Meta Knight as unlockables might be a little risky. In Olimar's case the fact that he'd be missing from the website might be a good thing to hype people for the game's release. Meta Knight was made unlockable to not over-represent Kirby on the starting roster, and he seemed like a cooler character to unlock than Dedede, he has the same badass factor as Mewtwo.​
I hope the roster will be bigger than this, but with the 3DS apparently being the sole thing that determines the roster's size I don't see it going bigger than this. I'd also much prefer Ike, one of my mains, over Chrom, but I also like being realistic.​
And yes, I made my own "Random" button from the one in the Roster Maker program.​

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
Here's a sort of hybrid prediction/desire roster, post-E3. With transformations, there's 40 fighters.

Absent from Brawl: Toon Link, Lucas, King Dedede (wishful thinking, I know), Lucario, Ike, Wolf, PKMN Trainer, Snake, and Sonic. I recognize that there will almost definitely not be this many cuts, but a guy can dream.

A lot of this is wishful thinking (I don't really expect evolution transformations for Chu or Puff) but this is for fun so...

Little Mac and Takamaru are there following the trend of two-ish "retro" 80s characters being re-introduced per game (Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch in Melee; R.O.B. and Pit in Brawl).

Isaac and Andy are there representing two franchises with strong presence on handhelds. (I'm bearish on either of them making it but I'd like to see them).

I really think Meowth is a great choice for a Pokemon who has stood the test of time and remains iconic. I think it makes more sense than trying to guess what Pokemon from Gen 6 will be popular or whatever. The Raichu/Wigglytuff evolutions could be fun, ZSS-style transformations; similar movesets, but different stats and play styles.

Each of the original 8 has at least one "partner," (or a transformation in Samus's case) except Yoshi who's basically a part of the Mario franchise anyway. Pit's new status basically elevates him to take Yoshi's place so far as I can tell, so gets a "partner" in Palutena. Wolf and Dedede are cut in favor of greater franchise diversity.

Lyn is basically a placeholder; there are about a half-dozen FE characters who could conceivably fill that spot (Chrom, Lucina, Ike, Roy) but I don't expect more than two total, and I think Marth is pretty safe.

I also anticipate that "clones" will be introduced as DLC, functioning as alternate costumes on the home screen (like Wario's two outfits), with the same move pools but different stats and overall cosmetic changes (e.g. Dr. Mario throwing pills that behave like fireballs).

I expect a roster about this size, maybe a bit bigger. I also anticipate some other fighters (Bowser Jr., Pac Man, Miis) that I'm dreading so much I didn't include them.

User33

Smash Journeyman
44 character roster

Would have liked to put Shulk in, but I honestly believe he won't be a playable character.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Based on the current trends, info and statements I believe this will be the roster:

AND NOW TO RATIONALIZE IT!

The roster size is about the same as Brawl so I kept that in mind.

Mario has no more notable characters to add. Toad is not notable, Bowser Junior hardly ever does anything interesting there's really no one left.

DK is getting more popular lately and K. Rool is a visually striking consistent villain, Yoshi and Wario are a given (there's a bit of bias as to which Wario I put in though).

Link seems to be a saturated TP Link so I assume they kept that around because Sheik has no SS version. The other Link is the LttP model because the new 3DS game uses that artstyle and Toon Link shows up on the train level which leads me to believe he's out.

Samus and her Zero Suit are back, Sakurai said he knows about the demand of Ridley and that he could pull it off if he tried his best which he now has time to do.

Olimar is interesting, they may use him or they may use one of the new guys, I think they'll use him because Smash has a tendancy to never eliminate an original (Ness, Marth).

Sakurai LOVES StarFox, they aren't going anywhere and Krystal is not part of the N64 StarFox (aka the one everyone cares about) so she seems least likely.

Falcon is the man, the logo is a Falcon, no other character really makes sense and not many people actually care about having a third Captain Falcon.

The Pokemon are interesting, no one from the 64 game is leaving so we're "stuck" with Pikachu and Jigglypuff, the Trainer is a great way to represent the human being in the games and I feel they'll go with the Kanto one because while he's not the newest he's the one everyone knows and will recognize if they use one of the new kids with 3 new Pokemon a lot of the 90's guys aren't gonna know who they are, not to mention Charizard is still a really popular Pokemon. Mewtwo is another case of recognizing the character the new generation has no replacement Mewtwo and Lucario's heydey is over. The rule here is: EVERYONE knows first gen and likes it, Smash has a clear bias to first gen.

Fire Emblem has worked like this for 2 games: Keep Marth, replace the other guy with the newest guy so... here we are.

To make room for all the new characters though some need to get cut which is why I'm counting Lucas out, Ness isn't going anywhere as one of the original 12 and one of them is gone.

Game and Watch, Ice Climbers and ROB are here to stay. Ice Climbers have already been mentioned, ROB was huge in the plot of Brawl and G&W is a homage to the legend who made the GameBoy.

The new characters are all from slightly more minor games and have all been assist trophies) that have gotten some attention lately and as they are the original main character (notice a trend here?) of their series they seem most likely for new additions.

And finally 3rd party, Kojima might not want Snake in his more serious, Hollywood acted self appearing in a game like this so I left him out (want him to make it though!) and Sonic has a 3 game exclusivity deal with Nintendo and was a huge hit and feature in the last game they probably signed the papers years ago.

That's my predictions as of today. Hope you enjoyed taking a tour of my mind!

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
6/17/2013

Here's my updated roster. I bumped up the roster size to 49, including Sheik, ZSS and 3 pokes in Pokemon Trainer's, and potentially the new form of Mewtwo. However, this roster is still a very conservative one. Not everyone I'd like is on here, but it is realistic, I think.

Cut from Brawl:
Ike
Lucas
Lucario
Toon Link
Wolf

Newcomers:
Bowser Jr.
Dixie Kong
Ghirahim (although I think Tingle could be interchangeable)
Shulk
Ridley
Palutena
Little Mac
Villager
Mewtwo (OR 6th gen pokemon. Determining a new pokemon for Smash Bros is very hard, however, I think Mewtwo having a new form in the 6th gen ups his chances of returning somewhat. If not Mewtwo, then some other 6th gen pokemon will be included.)
Wii Fit Trainer
Chrom (spiritual successor to Ike)
Megaman
Pac-Man
Mii

It is also worth noting Pokemon Trainer's pokemon may be changed as well.

OP

Hi everybody. I’m a long time smash veteran, and little may you know, a Smash Forums vet from waaay back when Melee was first released. As details of SSB4 trickle in, I’m coming out of lurker-dom and poster retirement to post my roaster prediction. I rejoin you now as Vann Accessible. How do you do?

I’ve thought about this at length and I’ve tried to be as objective and realistic and conservative in my roster, and keep my personal feelings at a distance. There are characters on here who I genuinely want and there are also characters I’d rather see in the game than the ones on here. It's blunt but here it is.

First, I think a lot of people have way overestimated the amount of newcomers that will be in this game. Sakurai is aiming for balance over an enormous roster. I generally like this idea, but I also know that newcomers are what people pumped for a new Smash Bros. game. With that in mind, I’ve capped my total roster at about 45 on the character select screen disregarding transformations, on the Wii U version. Now you may say, that leads to about a total of a mere ten new characters, but I also think we can expect to see some veterans cut in lew of a few more significant characters. I also think this really detracts the chances of previously cut Melee characters returning.

Returning characters:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi
Wario
DK
Diddy
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (3 Pokemon to be determined)
Kirby
Metaknight
King Dedede
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Marth
Ike
Ness
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Pit
Olimar
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Sonic
Snake

Newcomers
Little Mac
Takumaru
Bowser Jr.
Dixie Kong
Girahim
Ridley
Undetermined 6th generation pokemon
Palutena
Shulk
Mii
Pac-Man
Megaman

Total roster 45, disregarding transformations. Including transformations: 48. To see my LENGTHY reasoning for this list, see wall o' text below. Read all of it for free candy.

I’m gonna start with the obvious one: Lucario. I know, I know, a lot of people love him. Well, a lot of people loved Mewtwo and Roy (and still do) and maintain hope they’ll return. Lucario was a flavor of the month, a fourth gen pokemon advertisement. The sixth gen will have been released for a year-ish by the time SSB4 is released, therefore, I think it’s easy to assume we’ll have a sixth generation representative of pokemon to replace Lucario. Also please consider, the issue of balance. Lucario’s aura gimmick has no basis in balance.

Pokemon Trainer: I still wonder at this character. It’s such a great idea at its core: 3 in 1, but the stamina thing severely weakens the character. Now, it isn’t impossible to think that maybe Pokemon Trainer gets the axe instead of Lucario in favor of newer pokemon, I think most people would agree that the first generation monsters are more significant to pokemon as a whole than Lucario, especially Charizard. Perhaps Pokemon Trainer will be modified with the sixth generation starters at various evolutionary levels, but I think Lucario being cut is more likely. Lucario’s gone. Pokemon Trainer will stay, in some form, but perhaps with new monsters.

Jigglypuff: I’ve seen this wished a lot. Jigglypuff may not be the most impressive character. However, she is continually popular in Japan, and a vet going all the way back to SSB64. She stays.

Lucas: Here’s a tough one. Mother 3’s been a while and I’m not confident the Mother series requires both characters for representation in the here and now. Ness is more representative of Earthbound as a whole, and in Smash Bros. However, I also made a realization here in the motive of exclusive characters: Ness’s game was on SNES. Lucas’s was on GBA. Perhaps Ness will be Wii U exclusive while Lucas will be 3DS exclusive. I’m still torn here. But that’s my idea and I’m sticking to it. Ness and Lucas will be version exclusive, if Lucas is not cut totally.

Ike: Same reasoning as Lucario and Lucas. Like Roy before him, Ike is a flavor of the month and Marth is more representative of Fire Emblem. Chrom is up and coming. BUT! Ike has the benefit of being the last FE lord to grace a home console, in two seperate games. So, Ike: Wii U exclusive, if not cut. Chrom 3DS exclusive, if Ike is not cut.

Toon Link: I was all but ready to give him the axe in favor of another Zelda character and another sword user, with the Toon Zelda series slowly dieing out. However, with the recent news of the Wind Waker remake for Wii U, I’ve reconsidered. Toon Link stays.

Ice Climbers. Stay, not so much for significance in history as much as for their uniqueness alone. I believe if they were going to be cut, they would’ve been cut in Brawl, and replaced with the Diddy/Dixie tag team. However, due their complexity, it’s possible they may be version exclusive to the Wii U version.

Sheik, as an extension of Zelda. Same logic as ICs. People say Sheik isn’t relevant to Zelda anymore. People say Impa is more relevant. First, Zelda turning into Impa doesn’t make sense, and they are two separate people. A tag team scenario is a stretch. Second, Ocarina of Time will always be significant. Also,let's not forget folks, OoT just had a remake not too long ago, revitalizing Sheik’s relevance in that regard. Sheik stays.

Mr. G&W: Nintendo’s first gaming icon. Stays.

R.O.B.: Valuable piece of Nintendo history and savior of console gaming. Stays.

Snake: I’ve seen quite a few people say Snake should go, because, A.) he doesn’t fit in Smash Bros and B.) he could be removed in lew of Simon Belmont as a Konami rep, who is more important to Nintendo’s history. However Kojima and Sakurai are buddies going way back. Kojima wanted him in Melee. I don’t think he’ll be cut honestly. Wouldn’t that be a slap in the face between friends?

Sonic: Most requested character in Brawl removed? I think not. Stay. Especially since Sega and Nintendo are so chummy with all these Mario and Sonic Olympics games.

Everyone else is an obvious gimmie for returning.

So, we’re left with Brawl’s roster, minus Lucario, with Lucas and Ike being possibly cut or version exclusives.

Now for newcomers. I’ll order this from the certainties down to the less likely.

Unnamed 6th gen pokemon: I can pretty much damn well guarantee a sixth generation rep. What’s pokemon’s motto? Gotta exploit children’s OCD and trick the public into buying the same game (two or three times even)! Smash Bros ads of the newest pokemon gen are a staple. Pokemon X and Y will launch worldwide in October 2013, well before the predicted SSB4 release date of mid to late 2014. I think we can expect some new yet unrelieved poke-critter. Typically in the past, the monster deemed to be popular enough to be playable in SSB in the past has been the focus of a movie, see Mewtwo and Lucario. So except our new playable monster to appear in the next movie. Odds 99%.

Pac-Man or other Namco representative: Here’s what we know about Namco and third parties in general. Sakuari knows the need to limit 3rd party characters to a minimum, but he has acknowledged that there will be at least a few Namco Bandai employees are developing this game. At least one Namco character is a gimmie. Who is more repetitive of Namco than Pac-Man? Now while it is possible that it could be a Tekken or Soul Calibur character, these characters are already from fighting games, which are by their nature more violent. Ultimately it will be Sakurai’s call what characters get in, and I honestly don’t see Sakurai allowing uber realistic sex symbols into a Smash Bros. mixing it up with characters like Yoshi, Ness and Jigglypuff. Do you? Lloyd Irving is a possibility, but he has to contend with other, more deserving sword wielders. Pac-Man fits the best, and makes to most sense. Odds of a Namco character: 95%, Odds of it being Pac-Man: 80%.

Megaman/Other Capcom representative: We know that Sakurai contacted Capcom for a character. We also know that Sakurai knows that Megaman is the most desired Capcom character, if not the most desired third party character PERIOD, and probably the most significant Capcom character to Nintendo, with the series being mainstays of the NES, SNES and Gameboys. Megaman is probably one of the better fits for the needs of Smash Bros. Capcom and Nintendo have a great relationship. I see no reason for them to deny them. The one possible hitch I’ve heard is the rumor that Capcom is tired of Megaman. I don’t believe this is the case however. Megaman is to Capcom and Mario is to Nintendo. Maybe they left him out of Capcom vs Marvel knowing full well he’d wind up in Smash Bros. 4. Odds of Capcom representation: 95%. Odds of that representative being Megaman (or some form of Megaman): 80%.

Little Mac: Sakurai once stated the assist trophies in Brawl were characters once considered for the roster. I’d also say Little Mac is the Pit of this generation. The west loves Punch-Out. The icing on Mac’s cake is the fact that we’ve had a new Punch-Out game since Brawl on the Wii, revitalizing his significance. He’s significant to Nintendo going back to the NES, highly requested and has moveset potential. I think he’s a sho-in. Also, King Hippo assist trophy? Yes please. Odds: 90%.

Palutena: Sakurai loves his own characters, and his latest baby Kid Icarus: Uprising breathed new light into Palutena, not only in regards to her personality but also her potential moveset. The Kid Icarus series goes by Palutena’s Mirror in Japan, making her the namesake of the series to the east, not unlike Princess Zelda for LoZ. The need for new women is obvious, but also as a showcase for our new HD graphics, I think Palutena's green flowing hair would appear dazzling. Odds: 85%.

Dixie Kong or K. Rool: Now here’s a quandary. Dixie was supposed to be in Brawl as the Nana to Diddy’s Popo, while it seems K. Rool is more requested. Personally, I feel the need for female representation action beats out villain representation at this point. Putting feelings aside, let's be objective:
Dixie has actually starred in two games (six, if you count Gameboy ports/remakes). Also, Dixie has appeared much more recently than K Rool, in various Mario sports games and kart games and such. When was K. Rool’s last appearance anyway? Donkey Kong 64? That was released in 1999, 14 years ago. For some, unbeknownst to me reason, DK64 still has yet to be released on Wii virtual console. Another interesting note, the DKC trilogy was actually pulled FROM the Wii Virtual Console. Anyone know why?
Regardless, I’m gonna give this slot to Dixie, as I think she eeks out K. Rool for general importance, but really, it’ll be a toss up between the two for another DK character. But assuredly, we’re likely to at least see one of the two. I’ll say odds for at least one new DK rep: 80%. For both? Not so likely.

Ridley or other additional Metroid representation: Ridley most requested villain, new winged multi-jump character, and very significant as Metroid’s most reoccurring villain. Dark Samus is the main other possibility, but one would think Megaman would better fit the build of new humanoid-hovering-robot-thing. But the Metroid Prime trilogy is done, and Ridley fits better anyway. Resizing him smaller back to his original NES Metroid size, is a non-issue, by Sakurai’s own admission. Odds: 80%.

Chrom: Newest Fire Emblem flavor of the month. I think the best odds say he replaces Ike, at the very least in 3DS version. Odds 75%.

Takumaru: Our random retro character from Nazo no Murasame Jō, a Famicom game, isn't so random. He’s obviously not a character Nintendo has forgotten; he’s been vetted in Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors and most lately Nintendoland. He also has interesting uniqueness among swordsmen with his samurai swordsmanship and shurikens. It is worth noting, one would think he detracts from the odds of other katana wielding characters such as like Samurai Goroh and Lyn. Odds: 75%.

Mii: The Miis are a new IP in and of themselves’ and would make for a good WTF character. You could insert your personal Mii’s face onto a generic body with a preset move-set and mix it up with Link and Fox. It would be a very Nintendo thing to do at this point. Odds: 65%.

New Mario Representative: Mario representation may be saturated at this point, but a new rep is worth discussing. This is a four way toss-up between Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad and Waluigi. And it really pains me to say it, but Geno’s (and Mallow’s) odds are ruined by these other four, more requested ones, before even disregarding licensing issues with SquareEnix. Bowser Jr. is the most likely new Mario representative if any. He’s been present in every main Mario game since Sunshine, the most reoccurring villain besides his father, is now Bowser's sole heir to the throne (retcons piss me off), and there’s no reason for him to even be a clone. Paper Mario would be the second most likely, representing the Mario RPGs and an interesting new take on Mario. However, working against his favor is the fact that the 2D character thing has been done in Mr. G&W. Also, realize this is an HD game, with developers of games like Tekken and Soul Calibur who enjoy designing highly rendered polygonal characters. I think one flat character is enough for the HD spectacle this game will ultimately become. Toad arguments go back to pre-Melee, but even Sakurai has said by his own admission that Toad’s moveset potential is limited, although I would agree this is less the case lately with the playable Toads in the New Mario Bros. games offering some interesting ideas. Finally, Waluigi is a lame, unimaginative and obnoxious spin-off character and you should be ashamed of yourself if you support him. :p Odds of new Mario character: 50%.

New Zelda Representation: Like Mario, Zelda may be fine at four reps. I’d say the three most likely candidates here are Tingle, Skull Kid and Girahim. As much as I love Toon Link, I was actually hoping he’d get the axe to make room for Skull Kid, and split the difference by making normal Link faster, but Wind Waker’s coming remake makes this less likely. Odds of new Zelda character: 50%.

Shulk: Xenoblade, which I am currently playing for the first time, Nintendo’s biggest new IP since Brawl’s release leads me to think representation is a gimmie. However, Xenoblade is still young and unproven and might be disregarded in favor of other franchises. Conversely, this could also work in his favor with the announcement of the new Monolift Soft game coming to Wii U, Shulk could serve as an advertisement. It’s also possible that Shulk could be a Wii U exclusive character. Odds: 50%.

Issac/Matthew: I really, really, REALLY wanted Isaac in Brawl. But Golden Sun’s brightest days were on GBA, prior to even Brawl’s release. The DS sequel didn’t do so hot. Golden Sun ain’t that hip back east like it is in the US. I can easily see Isaac being overlooked in-favor of newer franchises like Xenoblade and other sword users like Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, Saki and Girahim. I would say Isaac’s best shot is being a 3DS exclusive character, but even that seems farfetched at this point. Odds: 30%

Mewtwo: The most likely previously cut character to return. However, I fear Mewtwo will get shunned again in favor of the relentless conveyor belt of newer and more better-er pokemans. Remember him with fondness. Odds: 30%.

Andy or other Wars character: I’d love to see Andy whacking people with that big wrench of his. But it seems unlikely given the sheer amount of better known character options. His best bet, like Isaac, would be being a 3DS exclusive character. Odds: 30%

Ray or other Custom Robo character: I think this tiny robot will have to duke it out with Megaman for a gun-toting 'bot slot. More likely than other IP’s, but still unlikely. Odds: 25%

Krystal: I’m not confident Star Fox needs another rep, but Krystal would be the obvious one. Pros: she’s a girl and fights with a staff! Yay. Cons: Less necessary for female representation after Palutena (and possibly Dixie), and she didn’t even merit an assist trophy last game. Boo. Odds: 25%.

Saki/Isa: Sin and Punishment had a new game last console cycle, and both Sin and Punishment games have also had the benefit of western release. Saki was also acknowledged with an assist trophy in Brawl. On the downside, Saki competes with other, more deserving sword wielders. Odds: 25%.

Animal Crossing character: I believe Sakurai’s Brawl logic will endure. Animal Crossing is best represented in the form of a stage, rather than a playable character like the forgettable generic playable character (especially when you consider the better alternative of playable Miis), Tom Nook or Mr. Resetti. Odds: 20%.

Other Retro characters, New Unproven IPs and other IPs: Professor Layton, Dillion, Captain Rainbow and Zael all will lose out to Xenoblade's Shulk for the new IP spot. They’re unlikely, but not impossible. Hunter, (my self-applied name for the Duck Hunt Dog, which I find clever, more clever than “Ice Climbers” anyway), Balloon Fighter, Prince Sable, Sukapon, Tin Star, Mike Jones, Dr. Wright, Stafy, Chibi Robo, and whatever other obscure character you want to argue will most likely get shafted in favor of Little Mac and/or Takumaru for the new Retro character spots. These guys are all assist trophy fodder at best. Meet us back here in 2020 for SSB5 guys. In the meanwhile, wanna be assist trophies?

Additional F-Zero character: No new installments in years, F-Zero is adequately represented by Captain Falcon. The most likely one would’ve been Samurai Goroh, who will be looked over by other, more renowned sword wielders, especially Takamaru, another katana wielding samurai. Odds: 10%

Additional Earthbound character: Honestly, I’d be more surprised of Lucas not being cut rather than seeing another new Mother character. Maybe if we ever get Mother 4. In the mean time, Earthbound is already over-saturated with two reps and a third ain’t gonna happen. Odds: 10%

Louie or new Pikmin 3 character: Even with Pikmin 3's imminent release, I don't see Pikmin having a second representative. Give Olimar some rock and flying pikmin though. Odds: 10%.

Other previously-cut Melee characters: Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu and Roy were cut for a reason. I don’t think we should expect them back given the vast options for new characters, even within each of their own respective series. Sorry Roy lovers. Odds: 10%.

Additional 3rd party characters: I’m going to cap 3rd party guests at four. Sakurai has stated he doesn’t want too many outsiders here. We already have Sega with Sonic and Konami with Snake. Expecting more characters from either of those companies sounds greedy, even if Tails or Simon Belmont would be interesting. Namco and Capcom characters are a given. Square’s inclusion would’ve been nice with a Final Fantasy character, or Chrono (or Geno), but it seems highly unlikely. Odds: 5%.

Thoughts?

(Edited for typos: 3/5/13. VA)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Mario/Yoshi/Wario:

Mario (Dr. Mario skin)
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Petey Piranha - I think he will be the surprise newcomer from these series. He was a boss in the last one and appears in a lot of Mario games

Note: Geno - Although I would like to see Geno, I don't think he will make it due to third party status.

Legend of Zelda:

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Midna

Donkey Kong:

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Funk Kong/Dixie Kong - Funky is appearing in a lot of games but so is Dixie. I think one of the two may make it or
King K. Rool - I think there will only be 3 DK characters but I think he has a high chance of making it in. Just not sure if he will over Funky or Dixie (especially since he hasn't been the villian since N64)

Pokemon:

To be honest I don't know enough about these series to know exactly who will be in, here is my guess

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer - likely with new Pokemon
Lucario
(New Pokemon) - Yes I think this series could have possibly 6 characters, it is a large series

Kirby:

Kirby
MetaKnight
King Dedede
Knuckle Joe/Waddle Dee (RTDL) - I am not sure if a 4th character will come from this series. Obviously the series creater made Smash Bros. If there is a 4th character, one of these two would be likely choice.

Star Fox:

Star Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

Metroid Prime:

Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

Fire Emblem:

Marth
Roy
Ike
Lyn

Earthbound:

Ness
Lucas

F-Zero:

Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Kid Icarus:

Pit
(Boss either from new game or original game) - I think there will be 2 Kid Icarus character, likely a boss but not sure.

Other Nintendo:

Captain Olimar
Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climbers
ROB
Balloon Fighter
Stafy
Ray MK III
Issac
Tom Nook

Customizable Miis

Third Party:

Sonic
Megaman
Pac-Man
Other Namco Character - not sure who will be the next one, I can see up to three. Pac-Man will be a lock.

Knuckles - Long shot. I don't see a second Sonic Character, if there is one, Knuckles makes the most sense due to the uniqueness of his moves.

Note: Snake - I am not sure if Snake will make it in the next one due to his appearance in Sony's fighting series. It still is possible but it is a wierd mix.

Note: Melee Characters - I have a lot of Melee Characters returning. I think it will happen due to the outcry about there removal. I also don't think any Brawl Characters will be cut except possibly Snake.

1/25/2013

Updated Roster Prediction Thread

Mario Series:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi
Wario

Donkey Kong Series:

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Legend of Zelda:

Link
Toon Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Ghirahim

Metroid:

Samus/Zero Suit
Ridley

Star Fox:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

Earthbound:

Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem:

Marth
Ike
Roy

Pokemon:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer (likely new pokemon)
New Pokemon (too many to pick from)

Kirby:

Kirby
Metaknight
King Dedede

Kid Icarus:

Pit
Medusa

Other Nintendo:

ROB
Olimar
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climbers
Lil Mac
Takamaru (sp)
Isaac/Matthew (one of the two)
Sheriff
Mii

Third Party:

Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pac-Man

6/19/2013

Ok guys, Have found the perfect leak for the game and here is the confirmed roster :troll:

Mario Series:

Mario
Luigi
Waluigi
Baby Waluigi
Paper Peach
Blue Toad
Bowser

Yoshi Series:

Boshi
Yoshi
Baby DK
Baby Wario

Donkey Kong Series:

Donkey Kong
Cranky Cong

Wario Series:

Wario in Pink outfit

Legend of Zelda Series:

Link
Toon Link
Classic Link
CD-i Link
Young Link
CD-i Zelda
King of Hyrule
Baby Ganondorf

Metroid Series:

Samus

Fire Emblem Series:

Marth
Chrom/ clone of Marth
Roy/clone of Marth
Lyn/clone of Marth

Kirby Series:

Kirby
Keeby
Whispy Woods
Turbo speed Metaknight

Pokemon Series:

Pikcachu
Pichu
Raichu
Jigglypuff
Mew

Star Fox Series:

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Peppy
Slippy
Andross
Landmaster
Paper Falco
Dry Dry Falco

Other Nintendo:

Pit
Olimar
Pikmin (You play as one)
Dark Pit
Baby Pit
Metal Pit
Dry Pit
Yarn Pit
Dr. Pit (shoots pills instead of arrows, real cool)
ROB
Mr. Saturn
Mrs. Game & Watch
Mike Tyson
Excite Bike
Captain Falcon
Wii Fit Trainer
Male Wii Fit Trainer
The measuring machine from Wii Fit
Nintendo Dog
Miis
Villager

Third Party:

Goku
Shadow - from Sonic the Hedgehog
Megaman
Duke Nukem

This is the confirmed final roster... my source is very good, thoughts?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Hi. New here. Got sick of /v/ being absolutely daft and looked up a good forum for Smash Bros.

I put the above together about a week ago...

Notes:

1) Roy is back because he was my favorite in Melee and I still (foolishly) hold out hope for his return. He played so differently from Marth despite the same moves, a completely different experience.

2) May works like Red does, but she's got a Snivy, Quilava & Swampert. This coupled with Lucario staying and Mewtwo's Final Smash turning him into his "Awakened" Forme, I've got all the Pokemon generations covered.

3) Masked Link also has a similar feel to Red (I loved the idea of Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, one of my favorites easily), but changes between the Deku, Zora & Goron masks, putting on the Fierce Deity temporarily for the Final Smash.

What do you guys think?

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Total Character Count: 46
Total Veterans: 34
Total Newcomers: 12
Let's jump right into the analysis:
MARIO:​
-The only change would be the addition of Paper Mario, who has the potential of having one of the most unique movesets around.
ZELDA:
-Changes to Ganondorf's moveset are long overdue so a revamp which includes his blade would be nice. New addition: Vaati. Why Vaati? Well, he could represent the handheld Zelda titles, and could cover for Toon Link. Also, it'd be nice to have a magic using male character amongst all these hardhitters.
DK:
-Adding K.Rool to the roster mostly because he's been requested so much. Not really a personal pick, but one that makes sense.
METROID:
-RIDLEY PLS! Also, separate Samus from ZSS for an easy +1 Character.
KID ICARUS:
-Eh, never really cared for this series but Palutena seems like a reasonable addition and she's also got dat Sakurai bump.
MOTHER:
-Neeever played a mother game in my life, so this is an outsider's take on the series! Ness has been here for the whole ride, so he's a keeper. Lucas should get a pink slip and his evil brother should be hired. Masked Man seems much cooler from a design and gameplay standpoint. Energy blades and armguns > Ness clone.
KIRBY & FOX:
-They are fine just the way they are. Well, maybe "de-clonify" some of the Star Fox reps. Give them plasma guns! Energy grenades! SOMETHING!
FIRE EMBLEM:
-Eh, out with last year's model and in with the new.
POKEMON:
-Mewtwo kicks out Lucario and reclaims his place in the roster. Pokemon trainer might switch his pokemon loadout but either way I believe he's staying. Oh, also Genesect! This is probably the character I want to see the most in the game so let me tell you why. Half Pokemon, half machine, Genesect fits amongst the cast of colorful characters around him, as well as being able to provide a unique moveset. I would also put him above Zoroark since he has a movie coming out along with Mewtwo, and he's also the last pokemon of his regional pokedex just like Mewtwo. Also, he could play a villanous role as a pokemon in the service of the villains, woken up in a laboratory and ordered to hunt the game's heroes.
OTHER:
-Lil Mac has strong support from the community, so I'll let him fill this spot.
3rd PARTY:
-Keep Sonic and Snake (You already went through the trouble of getting their rights, it's gotta be easier this time, right?). Megaman is already in and Pac-Man gets in because of Namco. If Snake doesn't make it, add Simon Belmont.
Well, there are my thoughts/predictions. Hope you all enjoy them and hopefully they've also made you think. This is also my first post, so cheers to that.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Not on the Crhom and Lissa thang, it is suppose to actually mean chrom and Lucina or Chrom and Robin. But I wasn't given on of those to pick, but it doesn't literally mean chrom and Lissa but chrom and Lucina or Robin.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
This is what my dreamroster respecting mostly likely choices is about:
I feel like 4 characters per franchise is just perfect. I don't count Yoshi and Wario as Super Mario characters as they have own series (Yoshi's Island, WarioWare + Game&Wario)
You may notice a certain way I chose 4 characters for 3 franchises (Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Starfox):
2 main characters followed by one well-known female and one bad guy.
I also feel like Kirby franchise is fine the way it was represented in Brawl. I'm also fine with 3 Legend of Zelda characters(or in an indirect way even 4), still I wouldn't be upset if there was another one in.
In my opinion, the F-Zero franchise is underrepresented that's why I put in Black Shadow as Captain Falcons rival.

In the SSB4 trailer we saw that Kid Icarus franchise is now put on the same level as Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda etc. This lets suggest at least another character apart from Pit who is already confirmed. I chose on one side Medusa as she also appears in the first Kid Icarus game and Hades because of his role in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Metroid was also in Brawl only represented by Samus (in Brawl there were 2 Samus characters) and I feel like Ridley has to be in there.

I also heard that the Mother franchise will get a bit more interesting as an old Mother game will be released outside Japan. I'm not sure about the details but I think it comes to the virtual console. This may also be a good argument to say that we could get another Mother character in there. It could be Ninten, but honestly Ninten and Ness look pretty similar, so it would be more interesting to bring in Claus/Masked Man. He would be the bad guy from Mother 3 and everybody who knows the whole Mother 3 story can't deny that you will somehow sympathize with him.

For the Pokemon franchise I feel like perhaps Pokemon Trainer is leaving and Lucario may be replaced by Mewtwo because of his actual role in Pokemon X and Y being released before SSB4. I'm fine if Pokemon Trainer or Lucario return but I wouldn't be sad neither if they were cut.

Moving on to Fire Emblem I think Ike was pretty unique but somehow I'm even as a Fire Emblem fan fine with just two characters. Marth as represting the whole Fire Emblem franchise and Chrom(or Lucina) representing the latest Fire Emblem game.

A game which will soon be released is Pikmin 3. How could they support Pikmin 3 in SSB4? Right! Put in one of the three main characters from Pikmin 3. You may be surprised but Olimar won't be the main character. Still I don't see so many possibilities for two different movesets. That's the reason why I would replace Olimar by Alph.

Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western is in my opinion one of the most interesting characters from the eShop games and as he has got a sequel (The Last Ranger), the support by Nintendo is clear. Apart from this Dillon brings this whole Western setting that would make SSB4 a fresh experience. The moveset wouldn't be a problem neither. The only question that waits for an answer is the question: Will Sakurai bring in eShop characters or are these characters less promoted?
My answer would be: They put in Wii Fit Trainer, so everything is possible. And to be honest: Dillon would be far better than Wii Fit Trainer.

Now we come to Little Mac: We saw a boxring in the trailer and also a few daily pictures showing the boxring. There was a Smash Logo on bottom but this doesn't mean the stage couldn't be a reference to Punch Out!, so in my opinion it's a hint to Little Mac. He would also bring something new to SSB4 as he is only the guy for physical attacks. (same as Wii Fit trainer)
I think he would be a nice addition too.

Last but not least: The return of Sonic in SSB4 while Snake may have to leave. Sega and Nintendo have a partnership for 3 games. Maybe there is also a deal bringing Sonic back. I would like to see Sonic aside with Mega Man. They may change Sonics moveset a bit, but all in all he would still fit great.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Update 02/03/2014: I'm satisfied with my roster assumptions, and now I'll just go with scoring. Correct guesses will be blue text, incorrect will be red.
Updated 10/19/2013

Realistic, some personal wishes, Roster.

I'm expecting less than 50, more than 40.

Mario, Wario, and Yoshi Characters:
These are all grouped into a large subgroup. I'm looking much less at literal game titles, and far more at who/what these characters are associated with. Link isn't associated with Mario in the same way that Wario and Yoshi are.

Mario - Obvious. Dr. Mario alternate costume. Same as he is.
Luigi - Obvious. More Vacuum, lotsa new moves.
Peach - Obvious. Daisy alternate costume.
Bowser - Obvious. Dry Bowser Alternate costume. Heavily changed as we already know.

Wario - Obvious. Two main outfits.
Waluigi - In most Mario/Nintendo/Party games, moderately wanted, would fit extremely well, has good moveset potential, lots of character/personality to offer. Give him a pseudo-romantic/try-hard-French-lover costume. :smash:
Toad[sworth] - Citing lack of personal moveset potential, toad "just being weird" as a fighting prospect, and more capable Mario options.

Yoshi - Obvious. Lotsa colors.
Baby Bowser Jr. - Same reasoning as Waluigi. Final Smash = Shadow Mario graffiti, or becoming massive due to Kamek (or both! Two final smashes!)

I think Waluigi is just plain missing, and Baby Bowser would make a great Mario/Yoshi rep. This gets Mario, the biggest franchise, at like 8 reps, without literally getting Mario at 8 reps.

-Rosalina included
-Waluigi is assist trophy

Donkey Kong Characters:
Donkey Kong - Obvious
Diddy Kong - Really popular, don't see him being cut.
King K. Rool - Really good chance, really wanted, really fun/gimmicky super-heavy character. Lots of alternate costume possibilities.
Dixie Kong - The absolute best I could see her getting is an alternate costume of Diddy. We don't have infinite space, and she conflicts with Diddy's Niche extensively.

Definitely will have 3, and I'd place bets on only 3.

Legend of Zelda Characters:
Link - Obvious.
Zelda/Sheik - Zelda Obvious, Sheik too popular/established to cut. Not Skyward Zelda, because it's too cartoony for the "serious LoZ" half, and it would be weird for her to become Sheik that way.
Toon Link - I don't think he'll get cut. Zelda franchise is really two different franchises with the same characters. He's too well-established and WW is being re-made.
Toon Zelda/Tetra - Forbidden 7, a new LoZ rep just seems needed. Goes along with Toon Link, WW is being remade, partially goes along with Sheik. Toon Zelda -might- come with. Tetra is one of my daring guesses.
Ganondorf - He is THE LoZ enemy. Sure, Demise or whatever, but the Dorf is the Dorf. He's in basically every game, and he's #1. I think he'll have a more magical moveset, including his sword at times.
Skull Kid - This isn't realistic, but oh man I wish it could be true. I love Skull Kid.

LoZ is huge. This is technically 6-7 reps (7-8 if Sakurai loves me and actually puts Skull kid in xD). Ghirahim or Demise or Vaati.. As big as any of these might be canon-wise, or as currently relevant as any of them might be, they don't replace Ganondorf as "the Zelda bad guy" just as K Rool is still "the DK bad guy." Plus the Dorf is a recurring veteran already, and it'd just be a huge upset if he isn't included to finally be given his own moveset.

-Sheik is separate character, but Sheik is in the game as a playable character

Pokemon Characters:
Pikachu - Obvious.
Mewtwo - Extremely likely, would be an upset if he wasn't in. He'll have something to do with Newtwo, but I can't make any guesses yet.
PkMn Trainer (Multi-Generation) - I think PkMn trainer will return with pokemon of multiple generations. Charizard, something Gen 2-5, and something Gen 6. It's further reaching without taking too much room. Charizard is #1. PkMn will have alternate costumes for Gender and look, and could even have a Team Rocket costume. Multi-generational PkMn trainer is another one of my more daring guesses. I think Charizard is guaranteed, he's too popular.
Jigglypuff - Jigglypuff has been in all smash games, has a pretty strong following, and is probably pretty easy to code. No reason she'll be cut.
Lucario - I don't think it's out of the question to cut, nor to keep, Lucario. He could come back with a more obvious fighting type style. I feel there's a decent chance he'll get kept out with Mewtwo coming in, though, as their niches overlap quite a bit.

Pokemon is massive, but there are so many pokemon that deserve a time to shine. A constantly changing Poke-Roster is probably the best way to represent Pokemon.

-Gen 6 Pokemon is Greninja

Kirby Characters:
Kirby- Obvious
King DeDeDe - Obvious
Metaknight - Obvious

Kirby is big, but I think it'll stick with its 3. Waddle Dees just aren't nearly as iconic as the above three, and seem far more fitting to be like Toad or Koopa Troopas.

Metroid Characters:
Samus - Obvious
Zero Suit Samus - Obvious
Ridley - I think Ridley is possible, but I also think it's possible that he doesn't happen. I'm actually expecting him not to, and I think he'll be given boss status again, maybe even assist trophy. Citations are personality, history-in-Smash, Sakurai, and (to a tiny extent) size.

Star Fox Characters:
Fox - Obvious
Falco - Smash Veteran, Fan favorite, he's coming back.
Wolf - Wolf is one of the possible cuts, imo. But there might be a powerful backlash.
Krystal - Krystal is possible, and she has a cult following. I think she'll only get in if Wolf is cut. I don't expect 4 star fox reps, due to Star Fox reps being terrible similar and a dying franchise. I feel Krystal is a bit more likely than Wolf, due to appeal and balance issues, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm expecting 3 reps.

Fire Emblem Characters:
Marth - Obvious
Ike - I think he'll come back, due to popularity reasons.
Chrom - I do not include Chrom because I include Anna, and because he would conflict with Ike.
Anna - Anna is the most likely third rep, imo. With Ike as slow, Marth as moderate, and Anna as fast, they have less niche overlap. Alongside that, Anna could kick and etc.

I think Fire Emblem will have three reps, given its popularity as a Franchise and in Smash.

Kid Icarus Characters:
Pit - Obvious
Palutena - Overwhelming popularity, strong moveset potential, and high level importance.

Kid Icarus is popular, and Sakurai and whatnot, but it might only have Pit. It's not huge but Nintendo is making it out to be huge. I expect two reps, but no more than that. I would place money on Palutena, but I would not be terribly surprised if there's only 1 (Pit).

Retro Characters:
Ice Climbers - Obvious.
Mr. G&W - Obvious
R.O.B. - I have a feeling that R.O.B. is going to get cut. A lack of appeal (especially outside of serious smashers who care about historical context,) personal moves, and personality are the reasons. I think he'll become an assist trophy.
I really don't think ROB will come back, and I don't expect any retro additions outside Little Mac.

Sole Representative Characters:
Captain Falcon - Obvious he'll be in, but I think he'll be the only F-Zero rep.
Ness- I think Lucas will get cut. It's a kinda weak franchise and it's Smash Popularity is nothing like Star Fox (another weak franchise.) Lucas is more recent, but Ness is a 2 time veteran, and since the Franchise has a lot of its perception to owe entirely to Smash, Ness has basically become the face of Mother.
Captain Olimar - He'll be in. Louie might be an alternate costume, but not a separate character. Too similar.
Villager - Animal Crossing needed a rep, but this is probably as far as it can go. Villager is gimmicky enough, so we don't need anymore of that.
Little Mac - the boxing ring stage makes a Punch-Out!! rep almost obvious. He's practically a shoo in.
Isaac - a Golden Sun rep is really likely, and Isaac is the most likely possibility. With that said, he'll probably come alone, as much as I'd wish otherwise. I think he'll get in over Shulk because he has a bit of a cult following, thus much higher Appeal.

Third Party Characters:
Megaman - Obvious
Sonic- I think Sonic would have a decent chance of getting cut, but his fanbase would go nuts, so he'll almost definitely be in it.
Snake - I would doubt Snake will come back, but he has a strong & unique appeal. Still, you never know for sure.
Pacman - Pacman will probably be an assist trophy, due to a lack of moveset potential, and the tightness of 3rd party characters.

I feel like, since we added 2 in Brawl, and Sakurai said he wasn't going to go "crazy" with 3rd party in Smash 4, that we'll only have 2-3 total, Adding no more than 1, and maybe even cutting 1 (Snake.) It's possible we have a third with Snake, due to a unique appeal.

Other/Wii Characters:
Wii Fit Trainer - Obvious
Mii - I think the casuals will overpower the competitive players.

So, in total, I'm expecting 4-5 "transformation characters (2 for PkMn Trainer) with a base roster of 42-49, with 49 being if there's more than expected. So, about 46 + 4 transformations = 50. Anything beyond that is an awesome surprise.

In Image Form: I call it, the "cult/casual appeal" roster. It throws in some "borderline" characters, and favors some over others, based upon how their respective fanbases might react, in order to try to maximize sales from picky people, and from the millions of casual players. Many of those not included, I feel, wouldn't affect sales too much (EX: Toad, Wolf, R.O.B). The only group it doesn't appeal to is the Ridley supporters, but they will be appeased by a "God/stage/boss" player option with the Wii U Gamepad. Plus, I could see many folks having way more fun being "huge and overpowered Ridley" as a "special treat" than him being a character.

Roster total: 48 "characters," 54 "transformations."

Roster Patterns:
Yoshi was my hardest to position.
"Tagalongs" next to the main character.
"Similar style" be it art, fighting, or both, can get you close together.
"Kiddish" vs "Serious-looking" is a factor.
Higher up: More "core" to Smash
Further down: Newer to Smash
Further Left: More "Nintendo" [More appealing to kids & families, closer to Mario, etc.)
Further right: More serious
Original 12: all in top 2, except Yoshi. Poor Yoshi. All in first row are original 12, except Wario, who is the epitome of Mario spin-off character.
1st row: Icons, Franchise size (DK is Mario spin off) & relation.
2nd row: Tagalongs, co-stars, Similar fighting style, and Marth (who needed a place.)
3rd row: Villains, edginess, and "Your Choice."
4th row: Innocence, girliness, and Lucario (who needed to be by Mewtwo)
5th row: 100% newcomers (including Mewtwo)
Column 0: You! You're first!
Column 1-2: Mario, Spin-offs, & Retro
Column 3: Donkey Kong & Other 100% Nintendo (Pikmin / Animal Crossing)
Column 4: Pokemon
Column 5: Sakurai (Kirby and Kid Icarus)
Column 6: LoZ
Column 7: Guns and athleticism
Column 8: Swords and "Psy" powers.
Column 9: Basic fighters and 3rd party.
Column 10: You choose to be random.
----
Default: Iconic, Basic, "starts off Franchise." Some single-rep franchises are "teamed" with other single-rep (EX: Get Olimar with Villager.)
Unlockables (red): Relate closely to a more central character (stars first), is new (veterans/memories first), is 3rd party (Nintendo first), or has a unique mechanic (simple first). "Save your partner," "Convince them to join you," "Boss has been tamed." I have 27 unlockables because unlocking stuff is half the single-player fun.
Double Unlockables (yellow): Relates to someone who relates, G&W (last character,) Mewtwo (Save the best for later.)

Last edited:

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here's my ideal (dream) roster, which I WISH was the real roster:

And here's my realistic roster prediction, which is what I believe the actual roster will be like:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
My Roster Roster.png

Roster Predictions (Note: All percentages are independent from each other in relation to other newcomers, but keeps in my prediction for returners. They are also independent of rumors.)
Newcomers:
Little Mac - Chances:70%
Mewtwo - Chances: 85%
Palutena - Chances:60%
Takamaru - Chances: 45%
Dixie Kong - Chances: 55%
Kalos Trainer - Chances: 30%
Lucina - Chances: 25%
Matthew - Chance: 20%
Mach Rider - Chances: 15%

DLC Predictions: I think DLC (which still seems less likely at this point) will consist mainly of semi-clones and characters easier to make. I also don't believe it will exceed 8.
Roy
Medusa
Lucas
Tom Nook
Krystal
Classic Link
Lucario

Other Predictions for common newcomers not on my main roster:
Mii - Chances: 55%
Shulk - Chances: 50%
Chrom - Chances: 50%
Ridley - Chances: 50%
Pac-Man - Chances:50%
Isaac - Chances: 49%
King K. Rool - Chances:45%
Medusa - Chances: 40%
Genesect - Chances: 35%
Paper Mario - Chances: 15%
Saki or Isa Jo - Chances: 10%
Krystal - Chances: 10%
Zoroark - Chances: 15%
Bowser Jr. - Chances: 5%
Robin: 30%
Waluigi - Chances: 25%
Tingle - Chances: 25%
Toad - Chances: 25%
Tom Nook - Chances: 20%
Dillon - Chances:20%
Lip - Chances: 20%
Unova Trainer - Chances: 15%
Lyn - Chances: 15%
Impa - Chances: 10%
Anna - Chances: 10%
Samurai Goroh - Chances: 10%
King Boo - Chances: 10%
Mallo - Chances: 10%
Mona - Chances: 10%
Starfy - Chances:10%
Ghirahim - Chances: 6%
N - Chances: 5%
Skull Kid - Chances: 5%
Black Shadow - Chances: 5%
Bomberman - Chances: 5%
Geno - Chances: 5%
Simon Belmont - Chances: 5%
Masked Man - Chances:5%
Bayonetta - Chances: 1%
Rosalina - Chances:1%
Sandbag: 1%

Returners' chances
Falco: 95%
Jigglypuff: 85%
Ike: 85%
Wolf: 75%
Sonic: 75%
Mewtwo - Chances: 85%
Snake: 50%
Lucas: 50%
Lucario: 40%
Roy: 20%
Dr. Mario 5%
Pichu 1%

Chances series will receive another rep without cuts
Donkey Kong: 75%
Metroid: 65%
Fire Emblem: 55%
Mario: 35%
Zelda: 35%
Starfox: 33%
Kirby: 25%
Pokemon: 25%
Yoshi: 5%
Mother: 5%
Pikmin: 3%

Notes:
I have no interest in predicting Miis. Wii Fit Trainer lowered their chances because she can represent the casual Wii generation.
Pac-Man: I find his legged and armed form to be weird, so I would not like to him that way. But if anyone can make that look work, it's Nintendo. His exclusion is due to the fact that Namco is receiving no preference comments from Sakurai. Unnecessary statement, so I believe it was to type down hype for Namco, specifically Pac-Man. Nintendo seems committed to fighters fighting in there gaming style for the most part, so Pac-Man would not work in that regard. But I also still see Pac-Man as possible.
Any cut characters: I find characters to cut practically interchangeable, but I fit this prediction to have it follow my own preferences.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Hmm seems innocent enough, here's my own personal guess

It's a bit on the thin side compared to these other rosters but I'd rather have my expectations low and be suprised in a good way then vice versa.
Anyways as for some insight to my personal deccisions:

Dixie over K. Rool: Really this could go either way and I'm not to say I have any more knowledge on the matter than anyone else on these boards but it does seem that the way the series is going that Dixie would be the one chosen. In the end though it'll one of the two.

Krystal and Falco over Wolf: Wolf could honestly replace either Falco or Krystal for the third slot but my guess would be that these two make it over him.

Mewtwo and Lucario over Jigglypuff: I did not include Jigglypuff due to the fact that she really serves little relevance as far as her series goes nowadays and was more of a last minute addition in brawl. If she does make it, it'll be the place of Lucario. Zororak could replace Lucario as well but I highly doubt it.

Ike and Lyn over Chrom: Honestly in reality Chrom stands a better chance of being in personally but I couldn't resize his icon properly and stuff. This is the hardest series to predict for IMO, While I do believe three lord will make it in the next smash its hard to predict anything outside of Marth. Most people have Chrom, Ike, and marth and it's possible I suppose but I see either Chrom or Ike making it and not the two together. I picked Lyn as the third lord because outside the three already mentioned she seems to have the most radiating effect with the fans.

I can't wait to look back at this to see how off I was, lol.

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord

VISUAL GUIDE

THE REMAINING

vvv Order from pessimistic to optimistic depending on what roster size we'll get in final version vvv

CUT #6: WOLF

CUT #5: ICE CLIMBERS

NEW-COMER #1: CHORUS MEN
-Gematsu Leak

CUT #4: LUCAS

RETURN #1: MEWTWO
-"We are thinking about it." - Although he's considering about it, it was really old news now. It was before we knew it was "Mega Evolution" and before we knew other Pokemon can Mega Evolve. Maybe Sakurai eventually left it slide.
-Greninja's reveal and Lucario and Charizard got Mega Evolutions before Mewtwo, therefore 6th gen has been repped and fulfilled. Jigglypuff will add cherry on top for its fairy type. No place for Mewtwo.
-In Melee, Mario series had 5 reps and lost 1 rep in Brawl. Pokemon, while have two extra reps in Brawl, will probably lose one rep and leave out 5th rep to Jigglypuff. Especially true when SSB4 no longer has transformation characters, character per slot is being into consideration as well. One rep down, one slot up, even.
-Greninja immune Mewtwo's Psychic type moves. Greninja is Mewtwo's biggest chance killer.

CUT #3: SNAKE
-Too realistic weapons, relevant to why Sakurai decided to redesigned the Ray Gun
-Do not expect alot of third-party characters
-Kojima begged Sakurai to include him
-SteelDriver (new item), Sheik's grenade (new move), Jetpack (new item), and Olimar's new recovery move all similar to Snake's moves and thus hurt his chance.

RETURN #2: ROY
-FE already got 4 reps!

CUT #2: IVYSAUR
-Solozard

CUT #1: SQUIRTLE
-Solozard

OTHER CUTS...
Pichu
Young Link
(Blatantly replaced by Toon Link)
P.Trainer

E3 2013 (didn't predicted):
Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Pit
Bowser
Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit TRAINER

New-comer predicted:
Little Mac
Palutena
Shulk

Didn't predicted new-comers:
Rosalina
Greninja
Pac-Man
Mii FIGHTER\
Robin
Duck Hunt Dog
Dark Pit

Were part of my previous predictions but weren't in the latest prediction:
Lucina
Bowser Jr.

Veteran predicted:
Olimar
Luigi
Peach
Toon Link
Sonic
Marth
Zelda
King Dedede
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Ike
Captain Falcon
Meta Knight
Ness
Jigglypuff
Wario
Falco
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.

Didn't predicted veterans:
Standalone Zero Suit Samus
Standalone Sheik
Solo Charizard
Dr. Mario

Bad predictions:
Ridley
Pokemon Trainer
>Ivyaur
>Squirtle
Chrom
Krystal

Last edited:

johno1995

Smash Cadet
Updated:

Mario (+1 from Brawl):
Mario
Luigi*
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr/Shadow Mario*

DK (+1 from Brawl):
DK
Diddy
Dixie*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

Legend of Zelda (+1 from Brawl):
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf*
Toon Zelda/Tetra*
Skull Kid*

Metroid (+2 from Brawl):
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley*
Anthony Higgins*

Kid Icarus (+1 from Brawl):
Pit
Palutena*

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch*
ROB*
Takamaru*
Little Mac

Star Fox:
Fox​
Falco*
Wolf*​
Pikmin:
Olimar/Pikmin

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon*

Pokemon (+1 from Brawl):
Pikachu
Jigglypuff*
Pokemon Trainer (Unova design: Oshawott/Servine/Emboar)
Mewtwo*
Plusle & Minun*

Fire Emblem (+1 from Brawl):
Marth*
Ike*
Chrom

Earthbound:
Ness*
Lucas​
Golden Sun (new):
Isaac

Animal Crossing (new):
Villager

Wii (new):
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii*

Advance Wars (new):
Andy*

3rd Party (+1 from Brawl):
Sonic*
Mega Man*
Pac Man*​
Total Fighters: 51 (25 starters/26 unlockables)
Cuts from Brawl: Toon Link (Zelda), Pokemon Trainer: Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard (Pokemon -- replaced by Unova Trainer), Lucario (Pokemon), and Snake (3rd Party).​

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Yoshi: Yoshi
Wario: Wario
DK: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, *King K. Rool
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, PKMN Trainer
Kid Icarus: Pit, *Palutena
LoZ: Zelda, Link, *Ganon
Kirby: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight
Mother: Ness, Lucas
F-Zero: Captain Falcon, *Samurai Goroh
Metroid: Samus, *Ridley
Starfox: Fox, Wolf
Fire Emblem: Marth, *Chrom
Retro: Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Ice Climbers, *Takumaru, *Duck Hunt Dog
Other: *Shulk, *Andy, *Villager, *Karate Joe, *Little Mac, *Wii Fit Trainer, Olimar
3rd Party: Sonic, *Megaman
Total: 45

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A 44 character roster I created. I think it's a reasonably realistic one.

(The template was created by Yellow Avenger on deviantart: http://browse.deviantart.com/art/My-SSB4-Roster-Style-212617574)

Even though many people have 45-55 character rosters, I wanted to stay low on the numbers rather than get carried away. The jump from melee (26 characters) to brawl (35) added 9 additional character slots. Likewise my jump from brawl to smash bros 4 adds 9 additional character slots. Toon Link, Lucas, Lucario, Snake and Ike have been removed.

As I said I think it's reasonably realistic. I'm hedging my bets somewhat on Bayonetta, Mallo and Chibi Robo but I don't feel like any of the others are too far out. I originally wouldn't have included Mallo (beyond a stage), but I saw a moveset for him based around his sumo skills and it swayed me.

I might end up replacing Bayonetta with a Nintendo character at some point. (or with Snake)

Characters I considered but ultimately left out

Lucas (Earthbound)
Lucas was the one who just barely missed out on a place. As much as I love the Earthbound series, I'm not convinced that a series that apparently has no future is deserving of two representatives. Not just that but a clone representative. (before anybody says Lucas isn't a clone...when I think of characters who aren't clones of each other I think of Pikachu and Samus). Also in terms of clones I feel like he differentiates himself from Ness less than most other clones. (like Ganondorf/Captain Falcon or the Star Fox characters)

Lucario (Pokemon)
I feel that Mewtwo will probably end up stealing Lucario's spot. I wouldn't be hugely shocked if Lucario returned but I'm not betting on it either.

Zoroark (Pokemon)
A similar situation to Lucario but Zoroark has the weakness of not being as popular as Lucario. Not to mention the timing might mean that Sakurai will be looking to the sixth gen for a representative (Newtwo) rather than the 5th gen.

Fawful (Mario & Luigi)
I really love Fawful and I considered him briefly....but I feel like Nintendo has something against Mario RPG characters when it comes to adding characters to Mario Kart or Smash Bros. I would love to be proved wrong but I don't think Fawful has much chance even though he's awesome and would the most irritating taunter in the game. I think it would be really cool of Sakurai to give smash bros a Mario RPG representative. (and one who's available, unlike Geno...who I don't really get the fuss about really)

King K Rool (Donkey Kong)
There might be some bias at play here but I have played a few Donkey Kong games (not all of them) and I don't feel that the Donkey Kong series is deserving of more than two representatives. I'm also not certain how relevant this guy is these days with the newer kong games. Still if the donkey kong series had to get a new rep I would rather it be K Rool than another kong.

Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Similar reasons for her as for K Rool with the added disadvantage of being a kong. I'm also not convinced she has enough to differentiate herself from the rest. Her helicopter hair ability makes me think of Kirby and Jigglypuffs flying ability. Also didn't Sakurai consider her as a tag team with Diddy? I think that might be her only chance, getting in with Diddy as a tag team similar to Ice Climbers.

Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
This one is really tough. I hear Sakurai has a bias for this character but I'm not sure if that will be enough. Sin & Punishments latest game on the Wii wasn't too successful as I've heard. That might not have an effect though if Saki is included on the strength of the original alone. I would also consider assist trophies from brawl to have decent chances of being promoted to playable.

Ray Mk II (Custom Robo)
I don't know much about this guy, only that he appeared in brawl as an assist trophy and I have heard of the game he is in called Custom Robo. He looks like he would be a unique addition to brawl....but his games don't seem particularly relevant right now.

Lyn (Fire Emblem)
I don't think she has much of a chance, she might end up being an assist trophy again if she's lucky (although Lucina might steal that spot)....but she does seem to be a popular character so there might be hope.

Robin (Fire Emblem)
This guy could be a real underdog. Mainly because I feel aesthetically Marth and Chrom are too similar to each other. The only thing holding me back is that he doesn't have a definitive look (outside of his default look)....on the plus side it could be another opportunity to add a female costume. (along with villager and pokemon trainer)

Dillon & Tempo (The Rolling Western & HarmoKnight)
Two eShop characters, I feel like Mallo could take their place as an eShop rep. Dillon would be like a sonic clone (which considering Sonic will be a third party character they might not want to make him less unique by adding a clone) I could see a lot of eShop characters making it as assist trophies. Dillon and Tempo being two of them.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
best smash 4 roster.png
Please send me a private message letting me know how my roster is.
Here is my roster, it consists of 48 characters. I know that 5 third party is a lot, but im a hopeful type of person.
okay, so lets start with the characters that I cut that were in brawl:
Toon Link:Well for starters he is a clone of link. Second He is in the spirit tracks stage, so even though he is my main from brawl, he is probably getting the boot
Ike: He will probably be replaced by chrom
falco: I see no reason for them to have falco and wolf, so i think one of them is going to go, in the end i chose falco because wolf is a lot more different from fox than falco is, but it could be either one

Pokemon trainer: I think the pokemon trainer has got to go simply because of how much development time it takes. It takes 3 characters to go into 1 slot and those slots could be used for so many other opportunities.
Okay, now onto the newcomers:
Bowser Jr.: For the 5th mario slot, it comes down to toad, paper mario, and bowser jr. I think bowser jr will win because he is a major antagonist in a ton of mario games, and unlike toad is a lot more unique.
King k. Rool: I dont feel that i need to explain this.
Skull kid: When it comes to tloz it is really really hard to predict because of how many one time villians there are, but skull kid is just one that stands out to me
Vaati: See skull kid.
Ridley: he is not too big.
Chrom: Main character of the most recent fire emblem game, replacing Ike
Shulk: New IP, pretty popular, upcoming sequel.
Little mac: although i feel that his moveset would be really boring, hes just to big of a deal not to be in.
Isaac: Golden sun is an important enough series to deserve a rep, whether its isaac or mathew i have no idea.
Takamaru: already a pretty good retro choice, but now that he had a mini game in nintendo land i think that does it. Zoroark: represents 5th gen the same way lucario reps 4th.

Mewtwo: Extremelly popular legendary. Has 3 movies, already in melee, has a new form, represents 6th gen as well as 1st.
Bomberman: Konami bought the company that owns bomberman, so he could replace snake and fit much better into the Nintendo universe. Already has a crossover with wario, been in Nintendo comics.
Rayman: ubisoft has shown so much support for wii u, so why not have there mascot, rayman.
Pac Man: Namco rep.
So that was my roster, please send me a private message for some suggestions.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, first post here!
Using Jakor's Roster Maker 6.1 July 5, 2013:

Mario

-Mario: His moves are fine.
-Luigi: He needs some sort of moves from his new game Dark Moon, possibly something to do with the backpack or flashlight?
-Peach: If (Blue) Toad gets in, Peach's down B would have to be changed. I have no idea what it could be though.
-Bowser: Confirmed to be getting a revamp, he stand up straighter which could mean he will be a little faster, can't wait.
-Bowser Jr.: He has been in almost (if not) all the sunshine games and I think he is the main antagonist? (I've never played a sunshine game.) He has a good move set possibility and could turn into shadow Mario.
-Waluigi: Appeared as an assist trophy in Brawl and would complete the set of Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. Also Mario Kart 8 could help his chances. (Daisy is also confirmed for MK8 but I don't think she would be a worthy stand alone character. And is already a skin for peach.)

Wario
-Wario

Yoshi
-Yoshi

Donkey Kong
-Donkey Kong
-Diddy Kong
-King K. Rool

The Legend of Zelda
-Link
-Zelda
-Ganondorf
-Impa
-Ghirahim

Pokemon
-Pikachu
-Pokemon Trainer (Charizard/Ivysaur/Squirtle)
-Mewtwo (Awakened Form)
-Lucario
-Meowth

Metroid
-Samus
-Zero Suit Samus
-Ridley

Wii Fit
-Wii Fit Trainer

Star Fox
-Fox
-Wolf
-Falco
-Krystal

Fire Emblem
-Marth
-Ike
-Roy
-Lyn

Kid Icarus
-Pit

Pikmin
-Olimar

Animal Crossing
-Villager

The Legendary Starfy
-Starfy

F-Zero
-Captain Falcon

Ice Climbers
-Ice Climbers

Game & Watch
-Mr. Game & Watch

Mother
-Ness

Third Party
-Megaman
-Sonic
-Solid Snake

Zidiane

Smash Rookie

I would really like three things from this list. Marina Liteyears, Jigglypuff to be replaced by Wigglytuff, and Dixie Kong. Everything else I would really really enjoy, but they aren't anything I would lose sleep over.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Alright, I think this one is pretty good and self-explanatory for the most part.
RealisticRosterDraft2withDLC.png
Image credit to Ariand/AEM.

I believe the main roster is well balanced. The total amount of characters isn't particularly high, much like what Sakurai said in terms of how the roster may need to go a different direction rather than grow in size. Hence, the only newcomers besides the confirmed 3 so far are King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena, Isaac, and Little Mac. No one series is over-represented, possibly with the exception of Lucario bring Pokemon to 5 characters, and for the most part every veteran series from SSB64 save Yoshi and Captain Falcon has a collective pool of characters. You could probably cut everyone not involved with the original 10 series and it'd still feel like a pretty lively roster, I believe.

In terms of the DLC characters, Dixie, Dark Samus, Waddle Dee, Krystal, and Samurai Goroh seem the most likely of their respective series. They are either DLC on part of already having a more likely addition to their series in the main roster or on part of their series not having a particularly high priority for another addition.
Mario DLC can be one of Waluigi, Bowser Jr., or Paper Mario.
Zelda DLC can be one of Toon Zelda, Vaati, Ghirahim, Tingle, or Impa.
Earthbound DLC can be one of Porky or the Masked Man.
Fire Emblem DLC can be one of Roy, Chrom, or Lucina.
The other 9 characters represent the remaining popular series with fighting potential.

I believe this is as close to the idea of a realistic "perfect roster" as humanly possible and I invite anyone to give me criticism as to otherwise.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17

Ones in green are DLC. Moveset changes include:

Mario gets spin attach from Melee and 64
Luigi uses Poltegiest
Peach would use parasol or Toadsworth
Bowser's obvious changes
Donkey Kong uses a barrel related move
Ganondorf uses swords to make him less of C. Falcon
Pit's obvious announced changes
Olimar uses Pink and Rock Pikmin
Jigglypuff uses some Fairy moves

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Might as well post this here as well.

Okay, here's my roster in text format:

MARIO FRANCHISE: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr.
Jr. has a sizable fanbase (that actually wants him playable, unlike the Japanese Toad fanbase) and can be given either a unique or cloned moveset...a flexible character in every sense of the word.

DK FRANCHISE: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
Moving right along...

LEGEND OF ZELDA FRANCHISE: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Child/Toon/Young/Potato Link
I don't believe an unpopular or one-shot will be shoe-horned in for the sake of filling slots. Although Ganondorf and Toon Link might receive some moveset changes, this series remains rather stagnant.

METROID FRANCHISE: Samus/ZSS, Ridley
Obvious selection is obvious.

YOSHI FRANCHISE: Yoshi
. . .

KIRBY FRANCHISE: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
Bandana Dee is tossed around for the same reasons as Waluigi: "He'd complete the RtD four!!" He has an outside shot, but I'll believe his likelihood when I see him confirmed.

STAR FOX FRANCHISE: Fox, Falco, (Wolf OR Krystal)
I want to believe that Wolf is going to stay, but I really doubt the series will receive four characters. Of course people will say a character they don't want to see leave has no chance of leaving, but when you consider that Wolf was such a last-minute addition to Brawl and thus might not be that high on the priority list of veterans to carry over, the chance of him getting clipped (possibly for a moderately "popular" female) still exists.

POKEMON FRANCHISE: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, Zoroark
I've concluded that Mewtwo will be brought back over Lucario, since he has more importance to the series as a whole than the newcomer who was selected to represent its latest generation at Brawl's time. It's unrealistic to think that Pokemon will not receive a newcomer when Pokemon Company is as involved as it is, having the opportunity to promote a new Pocket Monster. Though Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark can coexist, I definitely don't expect Pokemon to receive EIGHT characters in a game that "has reached its limit" balance-wise.

MOTHER FRANCHISE: Ness, Lucas
Lucas -could- get cut, but there aren't any Mother characters of his caliber to fill his shoes (Porky would be awesome, but an impossibility due to it being "probably impossible" for Sakurai to animate when matters like "fleshing out" the SSE are far more important).

F-ZERO FRANCHISE: C. Falcon, S. Goroh
I'll flip a coin here and say Goroh gets in, hopefully to help promote the first F-Zero game in almost a decade.

FIRE EMBLEM FRANCHISE: Marth, (Ike OR Roy), Krom
Likewise, a new Fire Emblem representative has a strong chance, while Roy is apparently popular worldwide because of how superb his character is...pah. I would hate to see him edge Ike out, but I don't think the series' number of slots will double overnight either, and Ike is the most expendable character out of him, Marth and Krom.

RETRO CHARACTERS: Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., (new character, Takamaru as placeholder)
Only including popular characters "doesn't excite" Sakurai, and he's "the luckiest man in the world" because he gets to revive retro characters. Takamaru seems most likely to get the nod at this point, though any reasonably old one-shot, like Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter, could do.

WARIO FRANCHISE: Wario
. . .

KID ICARUS FRANCHISE: Pit, Palutena
Though I despise her being labeled a massively popular shoo-in mere months after she even became a viable choice (taking over for Medusa, if you will), she's the go-to character if Sakurai doesn't become modest, which he won't, because like with Kirby for Brawl, he'll consider this the last chance he has to work with the character he helped design.

NEW SERIES CHARACTERS: Little Mac, Saki
Little Mac is a very, very obvious choice. Saki is a somewhat less obvious, but rather viable selection as well. Additional slots may go to any of Isaac, Shulk, Muddy Mole, Starfy, etc., but I think these two have the most priority, and space is tight.

THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS: Snake, Sonic, Megaman
After how popular Snake and Sonic became, I think Sakurai will at least attempt to negotiate with Konami and Sega for their returns. The companies would never say "No, maybe they shouldn't appear this time," so them getting clipped would be Sakurai's decision alone, and considering he added Sonic so late in Brawl because of the predicted backlash his absence would cause, I think he's smart enough to keep them in to avoid even more of an uproar. Megaman is pretty much universally agreed upon as the third third-party character, even by the Capcom execs that seemingly ignore him, and Sakurai has mentioned the possibility of Capcom characters. Pacman could become playable as well, but I want to wait and see how much influence Namco has on the project before making that call.

This brings my total to 50 characters, counting transformations. If Wolf/Ike are kept playable, that leaves in 40 veterans and 10 newcomers, while if one or both are not, the make-up changes to 38/39 veterans and 11/12 newcomers.

EDIT: Yes, the interview supports my confidence in Snake/Sonic, and confirms my doubt in less important, filler third party characters (Slime, Layton, Travis Touchdown, Tales characters).
7/12/2013

The roster creator is, for some reason, not working on either of my computers, so I'm going to type out my roster with a new twist instead. Rather than organizing it by series, I'm ordering each character into color-coded categories indicating how prioritized I believe they will be. This does not necessarily mean that these characters will be designed and included in this exact order; these categories are more guidelines than anything else.

Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Bowser
Peach
Zelda/Sheik
Ice Climbers
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
Ganondorf
Wario
Meta Knight
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Olimar
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Pokemon Trainer
R.O.B.
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Mii
Mewtwo
K. Rool
Palutena
Ridley
Takamaru
Shulk
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

This brings us to a total of 41 character select slots, with 45 characters total. Though ordered based on the game in which they debuted, each of these characters is prioritized sufficiently highly that they will be completed and added, no matter what.

Lucas
Lucario
Ike
Toon Link
Jigglypuff
Wolf
Roy
Dixie Kong
Bowser Jr.

I believe that these characters will be worked on once the above 45 are completed and added. I do not expect all of these characters to be in the final game, though a handful certainly will, and probably enough to bring the final slot and character totals to 48 and 52, respectively.

Toad
Paper Mario
Bandana Dee
Krystal
Meowth
Samurai Goroh
Chrom
Isaac
Token New Series Protagonist
Token Shock Character Not On Our Radar

While not in contention for my roster's development, I would not be terribly surprised to see any of these characters become playable, considering they're in decent standing for the most part...the ones I included over them were just in better standing. At the very least, most of these guys will have been in the initial character pool before it was drained.

Comments and criticism are welcome, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom