• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Display Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Old newcomers prediction post:
I think anything above a 45ish roster is starting to get a bit hopeful. I can't believe some people are predicting in the 60's.

Having closely watched the release of Melee and Brawl, here is what I think is a much much more likely lineup of new comers:

Probably about 45 characters in total. So depending on cuts I'd expect a maximum of 8-12 newcomers.

Top tier, almost guaranteed newcomers:
- Palutena (Ticks every box 100% shoe in)
- Mew Two (Resurrection in new movie and game plus monumental fan demand).

Second tier, these characters have a very very high chance:
- Shulk (Popular protagonist from critically acclaimed and high selling 1st party game)
- One of K. Rool or Dixie
- Pac Man (Namco connection and popularity amongst casuals)

Third tier, I'm less confident about but still very good chance:
- Ridley
- Little Mac (Classic 1st party franchise rebooted recently)
- Takamura
- One of Chrom/Lucina or Roy

Left with 2 - 4 spots for a "wtf character" or maybe any of these less slightly likely newcomers:
- Isaac or Matthew
- Saki
- Third party (Most likely = Megaman?)
- Alternate of K.Rool or Dixie from above
- One recent generation Pokemon or trainer
- Mii (Mii has gained iconic status since Brawl as well as Sakurai giving hints about a possible customisable character)
- Out of nowhere WTF character (e.g. Mr. Hanafuda, Baloon Fighter etc)
There's also a few of characters who I think are very possible but not quite likely enough to be on this list (e.g. Toad, Impa, Dillon etc).

My final base prediction roster:
(thanks to Mazaki Anzu who I stole that amazing background from).

I figured it was time to finally put up my final roster prediction before we start getting news and leaks.
But the image doesn't tell the full story of my prediction as there are two important side-notes below (Two More additions and Fire Emblem Rep)

Two More Additions:
The above is my conservative base roster but I do think we may get two or so more characters than this.
I just didn't want to mess with the symmetry of the image and also had great difficulty choosing another two or so out of the following pool:

As I write this I'm trying to imagine if I had a gun pointed at my head who would I choose out of these six. But I honestly can't choose a final two without some heavy cognitive dissonance.

- Dixie was considered for Brawl and is very popular.
- Mii was considered in mind of Sakurai talking about a customisable character.
- Megaman is the most demanded newcomer.
- Zoroark makes it in for no other reason than it feeling like sacrilege not to get a new Pokemon character.
- Isaac would be a strong addition to give handheld systems more love.
- Bowser Jr has played an important role in almost all Mario games on the Wii and Wii U. But I am bias against him since he's in my not-wanted list.

Just for the sake of getting in my final solidified roster before any info is released I'll go on a whim and say Dixie and Megaman.
Although it pains me to predict two DK reps with zero new Mario reps. And I have serious reservations about MegaMan due to the third party status.

Fire Emblem Rep:
Where I select Chrom on my roster is only a placeholder, not a final selection. Because my other nightmare in choosing a roster was the third FE rep.
I believe this may be most difficult decision Mr Sakurai faced since there are no stand outs.
The boldest prediction I am willing to make is that there will be 3 FE reps instead of 4 as many people expect.
These four hold approximately equal claim to the spot in my opinion and I can't choose just one with any strong conviction.

The idea of Robin would be he/she is somewhat customisable and gender changeable. Sakurai hinted at some kind of customisable character at some point and I could see this as a possible outlet for the FE Dilemma.

Honourable Mentions:
I thought I'd give a mention to these characters who I seriously considered but only just didn't make the final cut. I won't be at all surprised if any of these four make it.

In the end I expect to be wrong and even shocked by a number of mysterious Mr Sakrurai decisions, but this is my best educated guess along with reasoning on the harder decisions I faced.
Let me know if I missed anyone obvious.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
OK,Finally got this damn thing to work, so here is my guess on the roster:

BreakDown coming soon!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Roster Prediction

Newcomers: Paper Mario, Dillon, Ridley, K.Rool, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Palutena, Shulk, Mewtwo, Megaman, Pac-man
Cut: Lucario, Ness or Lucas, Wolf, Sonic, Snake

~~Section Below Updated on Sunday June 16, 2013 8:45 PM~~
AFTER E3 Prediction (Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-man, Villager already revealed)

Newcomers: Shulk, Saki, Pacman, Dixie, Ridley, Toad, Palutena, Dillon, Mewtwo

Cut: Toon Link, Wolf, Lucas, Sonic, Snake, Lucario, Zamus

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Stop. This roster is outdated. Revisions possibly coming soon.

Alright. This is my first time posting a roster. I'll get down to posting my thoughts later. Also I probably also will make some revisions.​
Bottom row on the right is third party. If they are included, there are 50 characters (pokemon trainer counting as 3). Have any questions, which I doubt you'll ask, just PM me. Yada yada stuff and things.​

Reasoning:
I'm listing the series' in alphabetical order, with 3rd party and retro in their own section at the bottom.
Each series has ♦, ♦♦, or ♦♦♦ next to it. ♦ means I know little about the series and opinions are not very strong. ♦♦ means I have played the games and am a fan to some extent. Opinion are moderate but not equal to a die hard fan's. ♦♦♦ means I'm a huge fan. Opinion are very strong. Additionally, nothing next to the name means I'm drop dead clueless or haven't played the game.

Donkey Kong: ♦
Obviously there will be no cuts from the series. The only DK game I have played was Dk 64 and I still feel a bit clueless. I see a lot of people who feel passionate about King K Rool being a newcomer so I'm taking their word for it.

Earthbound:
No idea. Never played the game and hardly know what its like. Ask a Earthbound fan. I have no input here.

Fire Emblem: ♦♦♦
The following is controversial. Read at your own risk.

Fire Emblem characters are treated in an abnormal way. Every Fire Emblem game, fans often say goodbye to a beloved Lord and hello to a new one. As such Fire Emblem has racked up, over the years, a huge roster of well deserving characters competing for a place in SSB4. Marth pioneered the series and has been featured in four titles as the protagonist (although those include remakes). Since then, Marth has been regarded as the mascot of the series. Marth is far from my personal favorite lord, but hes not going anywhere. Other popular lords competing to be on the roster are the verteran fighters, Ike and Roy, Lyn, Ike's co-star in FE10: Micaiah, and the FE13 lords. Oddly, the other Lords are just about completely ignored. To add some order to this mayhem I'll address the lords I've listed above in chronological order.
Roy made his first appearance as a fighter in SSB Melee, four months before the release of FE6. Sakurai said he included him because of his "charm" and ability to promote not only FE6 but the series as a whole. This he accomplished very well. For Brawl, however, Sakurai added in Ike who also accomplished these roles just as well. Roy was eventually left out because there wasn't enough time. I interpret this as not worth making time for. Roy's popularity is largely due to his appearance in smash, I think even more so than his actual game. FE6 doesn't stand out, warranting it be represented and recognized. Its gameplay is average and the characters, Roy included, are regarded as one of the most dull casts in the series. Roy was added because he was recent and a love-able pick from the lords at the time. But now we have many more contenders and many are much more deserving.
Lyn is the first Lord you meet in FE7. You are an apprentice tactician found unconscious in a field when she finds you. You continue the next 10 or so chapters that serve as a tutorial with Lyn. Lyn is a great character and I can see why people like her but the main character here is Eliwood, the star of the following 20 chapters. Granted Lyn comes back in these chapters but shes second to Eliwood. Going by popularity, both Hector (the other lord) and Eliwood beat Lyn in japan's popularity polls. I see some potential in her but I'm not sure why shes so frequently suggested while Eliwood and Hector are not (possibly because of her appearance as an assist trophy? or her because her potential move set is cool). Anyways, FE7 has aged and already missed its chance in brawl and I don't see Lyn getting in before Eliwood.
Ike is honestly my favorite Lord (next to hector). If I had a choice for fourth fire emblem character (which I'm not sure will happen) I'd add him in a heartbeat. Of the ones I've listed here, Ike is also the one I'm most likely to be wrong about. Yet, going by Sakuari's trend it has been Marth + the most recent fire emblem lord. Although this might be coincidental, Awakening has been the highest selling game in the series and is notable for many other changes in the series and milestones. I'll get more into it later. Micaiah I do not think will make it in without Ike so that's why she is excluded. Another reason why I took ike off the list is because the tellius series is over and done with. We not only need to include what history fire emblem has had but also what we expect for the future and Ike's already left the show. F' it. Other people added 4 FE characters, so I am too.
FE13 features three main characters. Lucina is sometimes not referred to as a lord because her death doesn't result in a game over but three nonetheless. Chrom is actually pretty popular despite the remarkable similarities to Ike. Chrom certainly stands out from other lords but in the shadow of Ike it sometimes seems like he doesn't stand out at all. But to be fair, his much of his dialogue and actions are very different from Ike. Being the main character of the game, hes the first to represent it.
Many people might criticize me for looking at the success of a game as a valid factor but I say it shouldn't be ignored. Not just because of the amount of people who've played it but because of the future of FE. A high selling game means it will be very influential for later installments trying to replicate what was done well. As such we might see more of Chrom, Lucina and the tactician. Or the game will just be a monumental landmark that revolutionized the game play. Either way, a noteworthy game that deserves recognition.
Lucina I do not think will be included though. She is extremely popular among the fans which is why I think she'll make an appearance as an assist trophy. Her convincing alter-ego as Marth does little to set her apart from him and the real Marth is here to stay.
My inclusion of My unit may initially be a shock to some people. But I included him for a few reasons. The tactician is just as vital to FE13's story line as Chrom ("two halves of the same whole"). As such hes been given a character design, and colorful back story to fit this inclusion. Another reason is his representation of FE strategy. Fire emblem is a strategy game, as such a tactician is a important part of the game just like a pokemon trainer is in pokemon. Although this character only appears in FE7 and FE13, somebody is usually credited as the groups tactician (such as soren). My third reason, is magic. The spells in Fire Emblem are iconic and a huge part of the game. What can I say, I think smashbros could really use somebody who specializes in magic. My final reason is representation of the My Unit function. FE12 and FE13 have both featured a custom character that is your avatar. The idea was well received by fans an critics alike. Some unused data even suggests that this feature was planned to be in FE11. Ultimately, I think this feature is here to stay and adding the Tactician is an excellent way to acknowledge this.

F-Zero:
I haven't played F-Zero but I do have certain impressions. One is that in comparison to other series F-Zero isn't that popular. Two is that captain falcon is a racer, not a fighter. To make his moveset Sakurai had to take certain liberties with the character. A second character doesn't seem plausible or even necessary.

Golden Sun:
Not familiar with the series. I know possible other contestants are Issac and Felix. I originally added Matthew for being the most recent, not knowing any other reasons behind the characters, I went with that. After asking around it seems Issac is said to be more-so the face of the series. I need to update my roster to include Issac instead. Again, I'm not the best consultant for this. Ask a real Golden Sun fan.

Kid Icarus: ♦
I've played the original Kid Icarus game, which doesn't really help me out with this. Obviously, there's no reason to cut Pit with uprising and all. BUT! There is room for another rep. Of the names being thrown around I chose Palutena for having a history with the game and being a vital part of Kid Icarus. Shes Kid Icarus's zelda to put it in simple terms. Shes also is a boss at one point in the game, so fighting is in her realm of possibilities. A devoted Kid Icarus fan would have more to say but I don't see many people disagree Palutena being added.

Kirby: ♦
I've played Kirby 64 and Kirby Air Ride. Kirby has enough characters and no reason for cuts. Standing at three reps, we shouldn't be looking for characters to add in unless they're extremely prominent. All Kirby suggestions I've seen seem way too minor for consideration.

The Legend of Zelda: ♦♦♦
I've played every game in the series and am a huge fan. Few characters stick out other than those who posses the pieces of the triforce, Link, Ganondorf and Zelda. One quality of this franchise that makes this subject tricky is its inconsistent style. To represent the childish style of certain games, Sakurai included Toon Link. I agree with his decision but believe that the character should feature unique items rather than being a quicker version of link. I hope hes changed for SSB4. Another subject includes what appearance will Link, Zelda and Ganondorf take on in SSB4. The most recent game, Skyward sword has a nice compromising mix between the toon zelda games and the darker ones. Some people speculate that the cast will take on their skyward sword looks while Ganondorf will take on his Windwaker look to fit in. Although this is possible, I don't think they will. We know for certain that a new zelda game is in the works. And after the E3 tech demo featuring link in his more realistic, darker form, I believe they will take on an appearance similar to Twilight princess or what ever style is present in the new game. My last topic concerning The Legend of Zelda is Impa. During the time of melee Shiek and Ganondorf were added after being featured in only one game, Ocarina of Time. Since then, Ganondorf has made multiple appearances but shiek has yet to return. Impa, on the other hand, has been around since the very first Zelda and has held a vital role as a Shieka, protecting Zelda in Skyward sword, the supposedly founding game in the Zelda timeline. Shes far more important and relevant than Shiek. It would make sense to give Zelda a down B move and add Impa as a separate character, replacing Shiek. Other Zelda suggestions are overshadowed by how important and popular the rest of the Zelda roster is. Other newcomers come off as sort of far fetched oddballs.

Metroid: ♦♦
I've played a great deal of Metroid games but not quite them all. The series definitely needs a greater representation. Due to the overall atmosphere of the games, Samus is really the only one you can chose. With one exception, Samus's nemesis, Ridley. Ridley would be a great character but size might be an issue. Nintendo might not want Ridley scaled down to less than half his normal size for smashbros (based on his most recent games). I hold high hopes that he becomes playable, regardless. The other suggestion I've seen is Anthony Higgs. To me this seems like a desperate attempt to find new challengers. Anthony is really only a prominent character in Other M. He doesn't quite have the reputation needed to be a newcomer. P.S. In the roster I separated Zero Suit Samus and normal Samus. There should never be a final smash you don't want to use. Make them separate characters. The idea was cool but annoying.

Pikmin: ♦♦
I've played.... Half of the Pikmin games currently in existence. The first one specifically. Although it is possible to add new captains to the mix, I don't see a reason to. Captain Olimar pretty much has the series covered on his own. A new captain would most likely be a semi-clone of Olimar. The only reason to add anyone is to expand the Pikmin roster. I feel Olimar alone, does the series enough justice.

Pokemon: ♦♦
Pokemon already has 6 representatives. Adding more is problematic. Pokemon is a bit baffling at times. Each pokemon is so insignificant to the series as a whole that people will find even the smallest reasons to include a pokemon. The pokemon who have been added are more or less, elected mascots of the pokemon developers. The only cut I see happening is Lucario who might be replaced by the return of the much anticipated Mewtwo. There's a bit of debate surrounding why Jigglypuff should be included. I see Jigglypuff as a comical and unique character. Jiggly puff doesn't have much of a reason to stay but she (it?) doesn't have a reason to leave either. Shes not going anywhere unless a newcomer has a damn good reason to replace her. Other than that, no changes.

Star Fox: ♦♦
I've played a great deal of the games. The star fox series has come to a halt recently. There's no reason to expand the roster in my opinion. The only contenders are Andross (what, are you nuts?) and Krystal. I don't like Krystal so I'll leave it at that. As for other changes; not cuts. But I would like to see Fox, Falco, and Wolf be a little more unique. A different final smash is a start.

Super Mario Bros: ♦♦
Four characters, five if you count Yoshi, seven if you count Donkey Kong and Diddy. To be fair, I consider DK, Diddy and Yoshi representing their own successful games. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser do fine representing the Mario Bros series. Characters from this universe should only be added if they're like Yoshi and Dk, staring in their own games. This could mean that we may find Luigi taking after his appearance in Luigi's Mansion. Other than that, no cuts or changes except... Paper Mario (♦♦). The paper Mario series has been a hit and even had the recent release of sticker star. Anyone who is familiar with the series knows there is potential for some pretty creative move sets. I can say safely there is no way he will end up being a clone. I think he'll make an excellent addition.

Wario Ware: ♦♦
Wario Ware is pretty popular. The series has a lot of interesting yet minor characters, many of which have been suggested to be playable. I don't see it happening though. Trophies, stages and assist trophies is where these guys will make an appearance. Move set and newcomer qualifications are way too far fetched.

Xenoblade Chronicles:
No idea. I heard its an excellent game. The developer became first party not too long ago, so there's that. Ask a Xenoblade fan, not me.

Retro Characters:

Ice Climbers: ♦
Cool idea. Extremely unique. There were some liberties taken but there is no good reason to cut these guy. Keep them in.
Mr. Game & Watch:
Again, neat idea. Don't cut. Mr. Game & Watch is way to unique and loveable to cut.
R.O.B.:
Despite being a horrible toy. Rob is a cool idea. Sakurai made him a high tech robot who now apparently shoots lasers and has jets on the base. I know he also made a cameo in mario kart. Anyways, keep him in.
Takamaru:
I hardly know a thing about this guy. Ask somebody else. Sakurai has been known to add retro characters and occasionally bring old franchises back to life. This may be SSB4's retro guy. Also I heard he even had a game featured in Nintendo land, which counts for something. The honest reason I included him on the roster is because everyone else is.

Third Party Characters:
Third party characters is an questionable subject. This being a Nintendo cross over game, there may not be any 3rd party characters in SSB4. Also its unclear how far Sakurai is willing to go with 3rd party characters. If sonic and snake barely made it in, we may not see any third party newcomers. There's so much mystery in this subject that I wouldn't call it speculation as much as I would call it wishful thinking.

Bomberman: ♦♦
I love bomberman. His games have always been plentiful and a great deal of them have been on nintendo consoles. His cartoon-ish style makes him an excellent fighter for smashbros. Bomberman has been in the hands of multiple publishers. Many games sold poorly and others gone unnoticed. Some were even failures (*cough* *cough* Act Zero *cough*). But the characters and unforgettable game play is legendary. Smashbros might even be the lift it needs to get back on its feet.
Mega Man: ♦♦
Fantastic, popular series. Mega man is possibly the most popular 3rd party newcomer. Style blends in excellently with smashbros. There's a been a lot of talk of Capcom getting a rep in SSB4 and I think this is the one.
Snake:
As popular as Metal gear is, I'm not that familiar with it. I've heard the interesting reasons why Snake was added to brawl initially. I'm not sure if he'll return. The realistic look of snake certainly clashes with the majority of the characters here but at least his move set was unique. I'll leave him on this list for now. But If I ever have an epiphany and decide he won't be in SSB4, I'll take him out of the roster. Adding another MGS character is a definite no from me. Especially since the top contenders haven't even been on a Nintendo console.
Sonic: ♦♦
Nintendo and Sega have been Rivals for quite some time. Ever since Sega left the hardware business they have been rather friendly. Mario and Sonics rivalry is well known among all gamers and even many casual players are aware of it. In addition to this, there's even the Mario and Sonic Olympic games that can vouch for this relationship. Besides those points, sonic fits excellently in the smashbros universe and presents a unique play style. I'm even willing to say that if sonic isn't in the next smashbros game, no third party character will be.

All finished! I may add more about other characters I didn't include but for now this is it. I hope this got you thinking! :D

Edit: Updated Roster, added Ike and replaced Matthew with Isaac.
Link to old roster for future use. http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3651/draftroster.png

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace

GIOVANNI - Rhydon, Nidoking, Mewtwo
BLUE - Arcanine, Nidoqueen, Dragonite

~~Darkrai is a replacement for Lucario (who is a great character, by the way)~~

JGamer

Smash Rookie
All SSBB Characters plus

- Toad
- Bowser Jr.
- Zoroark
- Little Mac
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Shulk
- Bomberman
- Mii

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Okey, So I scratched my old one, coming with a New One 04.10.2013 ~

Okey So I got 2 Different Roster Predictions, 1 That I think would work/Wish Type.
And Another one which is a Backfire on the 1st one... They Both Start the same with the exception of Lucas being replaced with Ness in the NON Backfired version;

And here is the full Roster of how I'd love it to be/Potential Roster ;
The Actual Roster;

Newcomers to Super Smash Brothers 4;

Waluigi = After all the appearences in the Mario Parties, Sports and Karts, he has earned a place in the roster as one of the last significent characters in the Mario Universe. (The God of Mario Spinoffs lol)

King K. Rool = The next most important character from the Doney Kong Universe is King K. Rool. He has full of potential, he is the main villain of the franchise, and has a huge crew of folllowers to support him.

Little Mac = Little Mac is the protoganist of Punch-Out! And with hes current popularity, and requests, I see him as a fully potential character.

Kamek = Since the start, Yoshi has been alone to represent the franchise. But with a new upcoming game, where the villain is Kamek. I see that as a great time for Kamek to appear in the game.

Sylux = I could think Ridley would be a bit problematic, so I see Sylux as a better solution, he got full of potential to become a very unique character to the roster.

Palutena = With Kid Icarus getting a ressurection, I would easly see Palutena as the candidate to make it in as the second most important character in the Kid Icarus Universe.

Toon Zelda = With Wind Waker getting an HD Release, and Toon Link revealed, I see Toon Zelda a huge possible option for the roster.

Takamaru = Now there is a lot of people requesting Takamaru, and it seems like hes franchise is also getting a little more boost when it was feautured in Nintendo Land. So a possible Retro Character indeed.

Krystal = So we got, the Main Hero, he's sidekick and he's Rival. If there is another Star Fox character that should make sense and a debut, it should be Krystal, she got moveset potential.

Bandana Dee = So Bandana Dee is higly requested to be the 4th Kirby character. With it's spear I think it could make up for a pretty unique moveset, and has added him for that Cause.

Magalor = Magalor is a newer recurring character in the Kirby universe, and has some serious great potential of moveset, and be a very original character to the series.

Porky = If Porky use some sort of mini Machine, it would already make up for an unique inclusion. He is the villain to Ness, so it would make more sense then Masked Man (Unless you replace Ness with Lucas)

Samurai Goroh = As the Second F-Zero rep, I think Captain Falcon's Rival should be entered. He has made cameo appearences since Melee, and should finally be playable.

Chrom = The newest hero of the Fire Emblem series, Chrom. He would naturaly take over for Ike, just as Ike did for Roy. (Other one of my Wish is actually Lucina, but let's not overdue it)

Dillon = Dillon's Game got such good reviews, that it is worthy of a sequal. Which would start the series and make more games feauturing Dillon. Making him a plusable choice for a newer Series Rep.

Mewtwo = The return of Mewtwo's fame, and the respons Nintendo got, when Mewtwo was let out of Brawl leads me to think Mewtwo is a safe bet for Super Smash Bros 4.

Goose = Pilotwings deserves a rep, I think. Wuhu Island made it as a stage, now we just need the character. And who could be a better pick then Goose?

Other Honorable Mentions are "Chibi-Robo, Isaac, Captain Rainbow, Bowser Jr, Dixie Kong"

And here is the Backfired Roster ~

The changes from the other roster is this;

Sylux changed with Ridley;
Somehow Namco and Nintendo might have figured out the crazy amount of request for the Purple Dragon. And lookover the **** sayings of "Ridley too BIG" ... And gone ahead making him anyways.

Wind Waker ain't getting special treatment;

Toon Zelda replaced with Ghirahim. Even if Wind Waker HD is out, It does not mean for certain that either Toon Zelda, Ganon or Vaati makes the comeback, but rather on the quiet popular Ghirahim, which would lead to a unique fighter in the end.

Make Space for Wonderful 101;
Magolor was taken out to make space for Wonder Red. Since having 4 representers for Kirby might be over the top, so make space for the new franchise Wonderful 101.. With it's main protoganist Wonder Red.

Earthbound Ain't Changing;
No new changes for Earthbound, So Porky out and Lucas Back...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't think I've actually posted mine yet. I'm going to post a couple.

First, my actual prediction:

And my wishlist roster, at a whopping 100 characters flat -

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Current Roster:
SSB4 Roster..png

Mario Series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser

Donkey Kong Series:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Zelda Series:
Link
Toon Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Impa

Pokemon Series:
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Zoroark
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

Metroid Series:
Samus Aran
Ridley

Kirby Series:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Kid Icarus Series:
Pit
Palutena

Star Fox Series:
Fox McCloud
Falco Lombardi
Wolf O'Donnel
Krystal

Mother Series:
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem Series:
Ike
Marth
Roy
Chrom

F-ZERO Series:
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Miscellaneous:
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Yoshi (Yoshi)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin)
Shulk (Xenoblade)
Wario (Wario)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasme-jō)
Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch)
Little Mac (Punch Out!!!)
R.O.B. (Gyromite; Other)

Third Party:
Sonic (SEGA)
Solid Snake (Konami)
Megaman (Capcom)
Older Rosters:

April 10th, 2013

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I've rethought my old roster and came up, with not only one roster this time, but what I think is honestly closer to reality.

[collapse=4/13/2013]

All newcomers to the Smash Brothers series are outlined in red while anyone considered a veteran is blue, just for convenience.

Due to it being the Year of Luigi, I could see Luigi being a starter on the roster and in a way Dr. Mario too. Ganondorf could be replaced by Ghirahim or Demise. I feel with the latest Kid Icarus game being like Sakurai's baby, we could see 2 newcomers from that franchise, sorta like how we saw 2 newcomers from Kirby's franchise for Brawl. The second Kid Icarus candidate being Medusa or Hades.

Finally replace Lip and Muddy Mole with any two other retro characters you have in mind and Lloyd with another Namco Bandai character. I feel the rest is pretty explanatory.[/collapse]

[collapse=old roster]
From all of the tweets, interviews, what have you, I've put together 2 rosters that I think are both possible to happen all things considered. I put a lot of time and consideration into all of these, thinking about every outcome I could that result in what may happen for the next Smash Brothers roster. The first one is what I feel is more likely to come of SSB4 from the talk of a possible Tekken character, the companies working on the project, revived retro characters (though both have the same retro characters in the roster since Sakurai himself said he'd be bringing back a few retro characters like how he did for R.O.B. in Brawl) so without further ado:

All:

Unlockables:

With all the talk from the past years to recent, I figured this much as well:
If not Mega Man, Travis Touchdown because Suda 51 really wants Travis Touchdown in a Smash Brothers game. Also Mega Man being classic, X or .exe if it would be Mega Man and Capcom wouldn't yet AGAIN say **** you to Mega Man fans.
If not Heihachi, someone else from Tekken.
If not Demise, Ghirahim. I don't think Ganondorf will be returning for this one.
If not Hades, Palutena or Viridi.
Personally I believe if they continue with the Pokemon Trainers they will go from Kanto to Johto and on but if not Johto, I'm thinking it will be one of the generations Pokemon Trainer (like maybe 3-6, not generation 1 again or replace with another character from a different series, another pokemon, etc. It's like Mewtwo to Lucario and what I believe the change to Zoroark, they're replacing Pokemon with newly shown Pokemon being major mascot or greatly requested, like Zoroark for Generation 5. There's not really a new quote on quote mascot for generation 6 unless you count Sylveon or what looks to be a possible new Mewtwo form.)
Impa would not be a character (at least playable, maybe Sakurai would incorporate Impa into the story mode some way?) if Zelda turns into a solo character due to her Skyward Sword character. If they introduce a Skyward Sword styled Shiek for one reason or another, replace Impa with Shiek.

I believe that covers the first Roster, now onto the second.
This is the roster I would like and you'll notice it's very similar but with a few characters replaced here and there:

All:

Unlockables:

Same thing as the roster above with if not Mega Man, Travis Touchdown and etc.
For Kyurem, it was between him and the new possible Mewtwo form in Generation 6. It'd make some sense too I believe, even if Pokemon isn't exactly a series that needs help in sales by affiliation.

Finally here is the starting roster (that works with both rosters):

Now, the reason I took out some of the Melee and Brawl veterans is because I'm just going with what Sakurai said a few months back with how there will not be too large of a roster compared to Brawl, it will be close to the same number of characters. Things can change and all but I wanted to have this in mind so I took out any characters I felt could be replaced to have new characters the chance of being in the game and not sacrificing too much from the previous rosters (at least IMO). If a few of those characters were added back in like Falco, Jigglypuff, R.O.B. and etc, here is what the total characters would come up to:

Veterans, removed characters from this list readded, 1st roster newcomers of who I think actually will be added + retro: 41-44
Veterans, removed characters from this list readded, 2nd roster newcomers of who I'd prefer + retro: 40-43

and finally without the characters I removed:

Veterans, 1st roster newcomers + retro: 42
Veterans, 2nd roster newcomers + retro: 41

I can't give an answer on why I think Donbe & Hikari and Balloon Fighter will be the retro characters added, just wild guesses plus I feel they'd be pretty interesting honestly.[/collapse]

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Total Amount of Characters (including transformations): 60
Total Amount of Characters (not including transformations): 55
Aren't those just nice, even numbers? :)
Dillon was added to make the roster nice and square (well, technically a rectangle).

Changes I'd make to existing characters:
Mario: New Final Smash, for ****'s sake! Either Rainbow Mario or Hammer Mario.
Luigi: Incorporate the Poltergust 5000 somehow. Probably his vB, but that would piss off the competitive community.
Peach: Replace Toad Shield with literally anything else.
Ganondorf: Completely revamp his moveset. The king of evil deserves to be more than just a Falcon clone.
Meta Knight: Nerf the **** out of him.
Toon Link: New Final Smash.
Pokemon Trainer: I know it'll never happen, but if the Smash Gods are listening, if Squirtle and Ivysaur are replaced with Blastoise and Venusaur, I will die happy.
Mewtwo: Just buff him. His moveset is ok, but he's just not that good, and the most powerful Pokemon deserves to be good.
Ness/Lucas: Buff their Final Smash, and give one a different Final Smash. I can understand semi-cloned movesets, but cloned Final Smashes are just lazy.
Fox/Falco/Wolf: Same as Ness and Lucas, only Landmaster doesn't need a buff. Give Wolf like a Star Wolf assault (no pun intended) Final Smash. That took me about 3 seconds to think of. And I'm sure someone could think of a unique Final Smash for Falco.
Sonic: Make his moves flow more. His moveset doesn't really match his momentum.

4/15/2013

Updated with DLC, and fixed the double Little Mac error.

Left = On Disk
Right = DLC

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
Sup, I'm Hiram and I'm kind of new, I just registered but I stalk these threads constantly. This is the Roster I made, although some of it may be just silly dreaming.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Guys, commenting on other's rosters isn't allowed in this thread.

@Ben Holt
You should have edited your post and inserted the new one into it.

Browny

Smash Hater
My predictions

Cuts: Snake

In: Newtwo, K. Rool, Ghirahim, Mii, Baby Bowser, Knuckles

Those are the ones I feel someone confident about. Theres plenty others I think may be cut or added, but those are just what I would like to see, not what I expect.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
Damn, A blackout just ruined all of my work here! But anyway, back to topic.

Here's my character prediction folks. Hope you like it. Also, for a note, characters in bold are newcomers.

Mario Series

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario

Mario Sub-Series

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool
Yoshi
Wario

The Legend of Zelda Series

Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ghirahim

Metroid Series

Samus Aran/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley (Even though I don't want him)

Kirby Series

Kirby
Meta-Knight
King DeDeDe

Star Fox Series

Fox McCloud
Falco Lombardi
Wolf O'Donnell
Krystal

Pokemon Series

Pikachu
May (Hoenn Trainer), Pokemon are Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken
Zoroark
Mewtwo
Jigglypuff

Mother Series

Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem Series

Marth
Ike
Chrom

Kid Icarus Series

Pit
Magnus
Palutena

Retro/Misc. Nintendo Series

Shulk
Little Mac
Takamaru
Issac or Matthew
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B
Olimar

Third Party Series

Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Megaman
Bomberman

Cut Characters

Kanto Pokemon Trainer (Replaced by May)
Lucario (Replaced by Zoroark)
Snake (Replaced by Travis)
Sonic (Replaced by Lloyd)

Veterans: 32 (34 if counting Shiek and Zero Suit Samus)
Newcomers: 18 (22 if counting May's Pokemon and Shadow Mario)
Total Amount of Characters: 50 (56 if counting Shiek, Zero Suit Samus, Shadow Mario and May's Pokemon)

4/25/2013

My roster (Red lines indicate newcomers and made a few changes)

the_savior21

Smash Rookie
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr. (or Liquid Mario w/ brush)
DK: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool
Zelda: Link, Young Link (Replaces Toon Link), Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf (New Move Set)
Metroid: Samus/ZSSamus, Dark Samus (Faster but Weaker)
Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Krystal
Pokemon: Pikachu, Mewtwo or Lucario (Not both) Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer 2nd or 3rd gen
Fire Emblem, Marth, Ike, Roy, Black Knight (Zelgius)
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi
F-Zero: Captain Falcon, Black Shadow
Earthbound: Ness, Lucas
Kid Icarus:pit, Medusa
Sonic The Hedgehog: Sonic, Shadow

Other Returning: Wario, Ice Climbers (although i wish they'd get the boot), Mr. Game and Watch

Getting the boot: Olimar, R.O.B. Snake (Feel like he should be a guest and his exit makes room for more multi Platform characters)

New (not listed above): Mach Rider, Little Mac, Mega Man, Waluigi Isaac, Banjo w/ kazooie, Takamaru

*EDIT*
Third Party Characters for DLC (Potential)
Zero, Hatake Kakashi, Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sauske, Goku, Gohon, Piccolo, Kain Highwind, Cloud Strife, Warrior of Light, Heihachi Mishima, Lars Alexander, Kazuya Mishima, Jin Kazama, Marshall Law, Yoshimitsu

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
FROM BRAWL - mario, luigi, peach, bowser, link, zelda, sheik, gannondork, toon link, DK, Diddy, yoshi, wario, samus/zss, pit, ice climbers, R.O.B, kirby, meta knight, king Dedede, olimar, Fox, Falco, Captain falcon, pikachu, lucario, jigglypuff, marth, Ness, Lucas, Game and watch, sonic
(no wolf, Red, Ike or Snake)

MELEE: mewtwo

EXCLUSIVE:
Mewtwo(awakened form, simaler to how warios outfit switches), Ridley, little mac, K. Rool, bandanna dee, Palutena, 2nd or 3rd gen trainer, balloon fighter, shulk, some guy from the new fire emblem I haven't played, issac, Mega Man, Pac-Man (DO NOT WANT)

Who I want that's probably not getting in: Geno, Grovyle, Klonoa

WELM

Smash Cadet
I expect Waluigi and Isaac and I assume Ridley. If there's a Mario, there's a Luigi, so if there's a Wario, there oughtta be a Waluigi. Isaac is the main protagonist from his series though I haven't played the third one, so he's the most likely from his realm. Metroid needs a new face, and what better than Ridley's?
They may drop Lucario, for they did so to the more loved Mewtwo, and will probably replace Lucario with the new anthropomorphic super Pokémon which I'm not up-to-date on 'cause the new ones are ugly as hell, in general. Pichu and Roy are probably not coming back.

I saw others post their wishlist here, so I have also.
Besides the Melee characters plus Lucas, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wario, Pokémon Trainer and his slaves, Diddy Kong, Pit, Captain Olimar and his slaves, Sonic and R.O.B., my desired additions:
A) Kuwabara, B) Magic Emperor Ghaleon, C) Rocket, D) Felix, E) Rayman, F) Lanky Kong, G) Globox, H) Isaac, I) Hector, J) Fawful, K) Tempest, L) Dragonmaster Alex, M) Space Pirate, N) Vela, O) Yuske Urameshi, P) Hiei, Q) Waluigi, R) Ridley, S) Kyle, T) Knuckles, U) Juno, V) Ryo, W) Nash, X) Lupus, Y) Prince Peasley, & Z) Kurama.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm keeping my hopes under control by predicting 10 new characters maximum and having alt choices

1. King K. Rool/Dixie
2. Mewtwo Returns/Gen 6 Pokemon
3. New Fire Emblem Rep
4. Ridley
5. Palutena
6. Little Mac
7. Shulk
8. Issac/Matthew
9. Megaman Edit: Booyah!
10. Namco Character (Money on Pac-Man. Only $2,but still)

On the off chance that 15 get included (for 50 total) here's my back-up picks

11. Krystal (10 if no Namco rep)
12. Takamaru
13. Tingle (Hate him but I know he has fans)
14. New Mario Rep (BJ or Paper Mario most likely, really wishing for Rosalina) Edit: Well looks like hoping into one hand really worked.
15. Dillon

Last edited:

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Hammer B. Roaster:

Hi Guys!

Although I got a registration to the forums since some years ago, I have not participated in the topics yet (until now). I am not a native english speaker, so be patient with my publications and please do fell free to correct any mistake I write.

Just like you, I am excited for the announcement of the two new games of Smash Bros., so I decided to make my own prediction roster and publish it before the E3 conference.

First of all, I think we will get a roster of 47 characters and a random slot. I think the only current series that will get more representation in form of characters will be Mario, Pokémon, Metroid, and somehow, Zelda. I don't think the other series need or deserve more representation in this games for the time.
I just want to explain some aspects of my roster:
  • All Brawl clones are Luigified or desclonified now
  • I think the Pokémon franchise is the hardest one to represent in Smash Bros. because it evolves so fast and it gets potencial characters everytime a new generation is launched. So I decided the best way to represent a huge serie like this one is to keep the franchise's mascot (Pikachu) and bring the Trainers of each region. This way Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pichu and Mewtwo (as well as many other populary requested Pokémon like Zoroark and Genesect) could join a Trainer's team. This way we could have them without spending a lot of spaces on the roster (In a side note, the last female trainer is supposed to be the 6th generation Trainer). I know this whole prediction is kind of unlikely, but a man can dream, can't he?
  • Tingle represents his own series. He has some Balloon Fight-based moves and hence the "retro" slot can be reserved for someone else like Takamaru. This means the Zelda Series remains as it did in Brawl.
  • The Duck Hunt Dog is meant to be the "WTF character" (I prefer to call him the "Hardware-Based Character"). He would be representing the NES Zapper and some of his moves would be based on this accesory.
  • I think we will getting 5 third-party characters this time (Sonic and Snake are back from Brawl, and Megaman, Slime as well as Pac-Man join the game as newcomers). I chose them because the first one is pretty requested, the second one has been featured in some Nintendo Crossovers, and the third one because is a video game legend and his company is working in the development of the game.
  • In conclusion, I guess we will get 14 newcomers (without including the Pokémon Trainers' Teams) and 6 new series. This is the list of newcomers and veterans:
NEWCOMERS
Toad
Paper Mario
Ridley
Tingle
Takamaru
Jotho Trainer
Hoenn Trainer
Sinnoh Trainer
Unova Trainer
6th Gen. Trainer
Duck Hunt Dog
Mega Man
Slime
Pac-Man

VETERANS:
All of them are back (Jigglypuff and Lucario are absorbed by a Pokémon Trainer's Team)

Fawfulcopter

Smash Apprentice

Brawl minus Lucario, plus Pac-Man, Dillon, Takamaru, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Lucina, Villager, Shulk, Mewtwo, Isaac, and Mega Man.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

Welp, here's my roster, refined through years of meticulous shaping. My reasoning for each addition is below.

For starters, the roster count is at a solid 50, though I think even this is more than is likely. 50 is the most optimistic I would get for roster size. I went with it because it's still within the realm of what I perceive to be realistic.

Paper Mario is an obvious choice at this point. The only argument against him is that he's another form of Mario, to which I point at Toon Link, who proves that a unique and prolific design of an already existing character can be added as a separate fighter. The Paper Mario series spans 4 games now, and while I feel Bowser Jr. is also a very good choice, I left him out in favor of limiting each series to 5 character slots max. Paper Mario represents his own series of games. Bowser Jr. may be important to the main series, but we have the 4 veterans for that. In my reasoning, the main character of a sub-series > a quinary character of a main series.

I chose King K. Rool as the expected third DK character. If Star Fox, which has just 5 games and only one that is universally liked, can get 3 characters, then the highly iconic and important Donkey Kong franchise can get another one of its popular characters. King K. Rool is a fan favorite, plain and simple. As the main villain of more than 4 games in the series, he's more exposed and important than Dixie, who while a good choice in her own right, wouldn't be doing her own series or this game an injustice by sitting another game out.

I support Waddle Dee, but not because of RtD alone. Being the fourth playable character option in only one game isn't a great résumé. I added him because a playable and/or allied Waddle Dee is a pretty prominent feature and character in several Kirby games. Kirby 64 and RtD featured a Waddle Dee allied with Kirby, Canvas Curse and RtD featured a playable Waddle Dee, and the same Waddle Dee from RtD plays a minor plot role in Kirby Super Star Ultra. Waddle Dees are also among the most well-known, recognizable Nintendo enemies; what Return to Dreamland really did for them was give them a face (which other mooks like Goomba lack). So when I support the bandanna-wearing Waddle Dee, it's because I'm supporting a representative of the species and the recurring allied/playable Waddle Dees in the Kirby series.

Starfy has 5 games and is pretty popular in Japan. It's only fair to give the Japanese fans some love since I also included some Western favorites. It's still not a very big series, but it has more games than Mother or Kid Icarus, and it's sold pretty well. I really can't see much of a reason to not add Starfy.

I've supported the Balloon Fighter since Melee. Nintendo loves Balloon Fight, and it's easily one of their most marketed retro titles. Fans love the game too; it's good, simple NES fun and it's been fondly remembered all these years despite being a Joust clone at its core. It's clearly a more beloved classic than Ice Climber, so I think it's long overdue for inclusion as a "retro" series. As a bonus, the balloonist could have a very unique playstyle. I consider him my "Western" retro rep.

Takamaru seems pretty obvious at this point, so I'd include him whether I wanted him or not (I'm indifferent, for the record). While he's only been in one game (one that was limited to Japan no less), that one game is a massive cult favorite where it exists, and I can see Nintendo using Smash as a way to revive the series. I consider him my "Japanese" retro rep.

Toon Zelda and Tetra. They're the only Zelda characters I feel comfortable considering at this point, besides beast Ganon. We already have the main triforce trio and a secondary Link, and by now it's pretty obvious that while the series deserves a good amount of characters, it's not a heavily character-driven series, so it lacks new cast members to add. Wind Waker was a popular, successful game, and since its release, Zelda has appeared in "toon" games about as much as Link has. As a sort of reversal of the Zelda/Shiek pairing, I imagine Tetra would be the "default" while Toon Zelda would be the secondary character, referencing the big reveal in Wind Waker. With inspiration from the toon games, Toon Zelda wouldn't even have to be much of a clone, either.

Roy is there as a third Fire Emblem character. I feel like the series deserves three characters, but four is pushing it. So, I'm playing it safe and going with Roy. He's still among the top demands world-wide, especially in Japan, and since he's been redesigned in Awakening, they could bring him back in that form with a decloned or semi-decloned moveset. While it's true that he's not the most important or well-liked character in his home series, the stardom that his appearance in Melee thrust upon him made him a Nintendo All-Star from the get-go. Jigglypuff is in a similar case; it's largely popular because of Smash. The only other realistic choices are other lords like Chrom, but he's only been in one game as opposed to Roy's 3. Except for in the case of retro characters, I don't feel comfortable calling one-game wonders "all-stars". Ike is kept because there's no reason to cut him. He basically represents the series' Western fanbase and remains one of the most popular lords to this day. He's not recent; it doesn't mean he's irrelevant to Nintendo's history.

Isaac is pretty obvious. He represents a lesser, second-party series with a large cult following. In that respect, I see Golden Sun as something similar to Mother. With three games under his belt but with a disproportionately inordinate fan following, the series deserves a single representative. Isaac is the obvious choice.

I shouldn't really have to explain Ridley. Forget the "too big" arguments and all that. He deserves it. Even if he couldn't work, that's unequivocal. I'd like to see them try to make him work. Metroid's one of those series that is large enough for several characters, but lacks the cast size necessary for tons of reps. But Samus and Ridley are the two essential characters of the series. If Ridley's added, Metroid will have basically 3 characters, counting Zero Suit Samus. That's good enough for the series. But Ridley must be added to ensure the series gets all the representation it needs.

Little Mac was always a pop cultural icon for classic Nintendo players, but he was more inclined to fulfill the "not quite playable, but definitely cameo appearance" role in Brawl. With his successful reappearance on the Wii, there's no denying it. Let's get that old-school Nintendo fighter in the ring already.

Mewtwo is one of the most requested characters in the world. It's obvious from fan response that cutting him was a mistake. With how marketed the character is lately, I have little doubt he'll be making a return. I just hope it's not his new form; it's the nostalgic memories of Mewtwo that have formed his fanbase. Lucario is kept because he's essentially the Pokemon series' second mascot. He earned his spot in Brawl by becoming the king of darkhorses when he was first revealed in 2005; I don't think of him as flavor of the month. He's just as popular now as he's ever been; he's no less relevant or important to the franchise. I didn't add a new Pokemon character because we don't need one. We already have the mascot (Pikachu), the darkhorse fan-favorites (Mewtwo and Lucario), the actual heroes of the first and most popular set of games (Pokemon Trainer and the Kanto starters), and the joke character/tournament favorite/Smash-created all-star (Jigglypuff). It's a lot of Generation 1 Pokemon, but that's the most iconic generation. I'm not a genwunner (I like Gens 2, 3, and 5 more), but that's just how it is. I'd rather us just settle on the Pokemon reps now instead of arguing over and replacing everyone with every Smash installment.

While I'm not sure if there's really a "WTF character" trend, Sheriff is the perfect surprise character in my eyes nonetheless. This is under the assumption that he retains his pixelated design (I imagine him rendered in 3D pixel art). His archaic appearance would go miles in evoking the sense of Nintendo history and his historical significance as the company's first video game character (Wild Gunman preceded him, but was originally a live-action actor). He might have an uninspired moveset, but I think he's unique and important enough to still be a good choice.

Snake and Sonic are kept because honestly, there's just not that many third-parties I want or can expect. They're mostly there as placeholders, as I think 4 third-parties is ideal and likely, whether they stay or not. But Metal Gear is an important industry staple (I can see Snake returning as Naked Snake due to the 3DS release of MGS3), as is Sonic the Hedgehog, who also makes the most sense as a third-party guest, being Mario's longtime rival and having a large presence on Nintendo hardware. Megaman is basically an honorary Nintendo character and is one of the greatest game mascots in existence. Pac-Man is the most recognizable game character in the world if it's not Mario, has had no lack of games on Nintendo consoles, and has already crossed-over with Mario on at least 4 occasions. He's the mascot of Namco and their most important creation; I see no good reason for them to choose anyone else if they're given a character slot.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Made a custom tile for Alexandra Roivas.

Some of these are a bit silly, but I wanted to make the rows even.

To answer a question from the last page that wasn't even directed at me, I love Palutena but don't see her working as a combatant. I hope she gets some funny dialogue as a Final Smash, though. That was really what made her character so likable.

Mach Rider should have her armorless appearance from the arcade game at some point.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

I went a bit overboard with third-parties and some franchises but hey, just having fun.

Starting Returners: (21)
Mario
Bowser
Peach
Wario
Ice Climbers
Pit
Yoshi
Pikachu
6th Gen Pokemon Trainer
Fox
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Samus
Lucas
Olimar
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Link
Zelda
Ike

Starting Newcomers: (5)
Krystal
Chrom & Robin
Shulk
Dillon
6th gen whatever rep (Or could be a returning Pokemon)

Unlockable Returners: (13)
Falco
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Marth
Sonic
Snake
Ness
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Toon Link
Ganondorf
Luigi
Mr Game & Watch

Unlockable Newcomers: (14)
Paper Mario
Geno
Captain Syrup
Kamek
Ghiriahim
The Masked Man
Daroach
Matthew
King K Rool
Ridley
Chocobo
Rayman
Luke
Megaman

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Guess I'll go ahead and post this before it's too late. Maybe not so much a prediction, more of a... realistic preference, but I'm going with it anyway. More fun with a roster you actually like.

I believe Mewtwo will count as two characters since his new form was revealed, so this is a 54 character roster.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I'm also new here. I've been browsing this here forum for a few weeks now but I've finally got the courage to join in the discussion. I used to be involved in discussions for Brawl many years ago (albeit not on this forums) so getting involved in smash discussion brings back fond memories of youth.
Here's my semi-realistic roster:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/emptyroster1.png/
A few explanations,
Bowser Jr
While I feel a Mario newcomer is not essential I see Bowser Jr having the best chance. Waluigi isn't important enough, his role as assist trophy is perfect as he's only appeared in the Mario sports games. Paper Mario would be interesting but I can't help but see him as too visually similar to Mario, his moveset would be different of course but they are basically the same person(?). Bowser Jr appeared in many recent Mario platformers, as well as a good number of kart and sports titles. His moveset would be unique, perhaps utilising the paintbrush from Sunshine or an array of explosive tricks, and would fit in well visually.

King K. Rool
DK is quite a big franchise for Nintendo and deserves another character. King K. Rool is also a villain, something the series has long lacked. His moveset would be unique and I can see him being humorous, in the vain of Wario in his moves and gait. In an ideal world Dixie would be in too but KKR would be more unique and is widely requested.

Tetra
I thought long and hard about this and, honestly, can't see it happening. Not only am I a stickler for regimented character columns, and I needed a Zelda character, but the fact Sakurai considered Toon Zelda/Sheik led me to fancy her chances. Sakurai has said several times he wants it to be a more balanced fighter with potential character cuts. If he wants another toon, and I wouldn't bet on TLink's survival at any rate, I'd say have someone unique. Again I'm not confident but there's my reasoning.

Ridley
Probably my most wanted character. Not much needs saying. He should've been in Brawl as a playable character and Metroid needs another rep. I can see him as being revealed at E3.

Palutena
Kid Icarus Uprising made me feel she has a good shot. She's female, Sakurai worked on her with his last project and is another rep for a series growing in popularity, thanks to Brawl no less. I think she's got a good shot.

Little Mac
Another character who have made it into Brawl but was left with an AT. He's started in a recent Wii game and has a moveset that writes itself. He's popular in the west and is a success story of retro revival.

Shulk
Admittedly I haven't played Xenoblade but as a recent character with a sequel coming soon his chances are decent. His mix between sword and magic could lead to an exciting moveset and would be great marketing for the new game. Bit cynical but hey they did the same with melee and Roy.

Mewtwo
Another point I've long debated, will Mewtwo come back? Will Lucario be removed? Will they both appear? I don't have the answers and I would preferably like to see lucario fall out if a suitable 6th gen candidate is in the works. Mewtwo is massively popular but Sakurai certainly saw fit to drop him once already. The pokemon section of the roster is probably the murkiest of the whole thing.

Crom
Again, I threw Crom in to even out the roster. I hope to play the new FE in the next week or so, before E3 at any rate, so I'm not to sure about his moveset and the like but he's popular enough. With Roy, I can't help feel people are blinded by their old memories of the guy. He was fun enough but I prefer Ike as he's less of a clone. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 2,3 or 4 FE reps in the next smash. My heart is torn but my brain says 3 max.

Takamaru
The fact Nintendo decided to represent this guy's franchise over Star Fox and Kirby in Nintendo Land was either to allow for the conveniently generic ninja star game, or because he's going to appear somewhere else. Of all the retros he's got the easiest moveset to think of. Sakurai is interested in retros so I can see him being at E3 too.

Mach Rider
Another roster level-er-outer? Of course. I put Mach in due to Sakurai's past interested in the character. If we are going to see a few retros in the new smash I see MR as one of the main contenders.

Mii
All the talk about customisation led me to throw these guys in. They'll help spread the appeal and tap into a new Nintendo that while we may not be happy with, is popular with many. I remember being surprised when they didn't make it into Brawl. I think if Nintendo will show us some of the customisation aspects at E3 we could well see the appearance of the Miis.

Mega-Man
Only recently become a fan, mostly to know what I should expect when he's inevitably announced, but I'm already seeing the blue bomber as a great addition. Nintendo and Capcom have had a great relationship since the 80s and have worked together in the past. Again a potential E3 contender.

Pac-Man
With Namco working on the game I'd say the addition of one of their characters is very likely. While some believe and Tekken character will make it on, I'd say Pac-Man is a more memorable candidate. While his moveset causes concern it's nothing the guys can't handle. Probably the 4 most famous pop-culture video game characters, Mario, Pikachu, Sonic and Pac-Man could finally duke it out.

More analysis to follow.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I suck at photoshop and things (and by that I mean I've never used it). So I'm just going to list their menu layout instead of displaying pictures.

Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Samus/ZSS, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox
Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Wario, Ridley, Pokemon Trainer, Meta Knight, Falco
Peach, King K. Rool, Impa, Ice Climbers, Marth, Lucario, King Dedede, Wolf
Bowser, R.O.B., Ganondorf, Pit, Ike, Jigglypuff, Mr. G&W, C. Falcon
Bowser Jr., Ness, Toon Link, Palutena, Roy, Mewtwo, Olimar, B. Shadow
Paper Mario, Lucas, Isaac, Little Mac, Chrom, Sonic, Snake, Mega Man
Takamaru, Namco Character (possibly Pac-Man)

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Because only the insane dream high. (And yes, 6 StarFox dudes without Krystal. Come at me bro)

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Golden Lotus, you are correct. My bad. Well let's see here

Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Bowser Jr.
DK Series: DK, Diddy, K Rool
Yoshi Series: Yoshi
Warioware: Wario
Zelda Series: Link, Toon Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Zelda/Tetra
Metroid: Samus, Ridley
Mother/Earthbound: Ness, Lucas
Kirby Series: Kirby, DDD, Metaknight
Starfox: Fox, Falco, Wolf
Fire Emblem: Marth, Roy OR Chrom, Ike
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jiggs, Pkmn Trainer (Red Version), Mewtwo, Possibly Lucario
Retro: Ice Climbers, Mr. G&W, R.O.B., Pit, Takamaru, Little Mac, a random WTF character
F-Zero: Cptn Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Pikmin: Olimar
3rd Parties: Snake, Sonic, either no additions or Lloyd Irving OR Mega Man
New Series: Shulk, Isaac

D

Deleted member

So, with E3 2013 which is finally coming in less than a week, I decide to show my own roster (Made on Word. I'll try to remake it with the SSB Roster software later).

I've made 2 versions of it : a Realistic one (the most likely to be included in the game) and an Idealist one (less likely but represents the best roster possible IMO).

The names written in italic type are those of the newcomers, those which are surrounded in purple are those of the characters who are unlockables.

[collapse="Realistic roster"]

[/collapse][collapse="Idealist roster"]
[/collapse]

EDIT : My updated roster after E3 2013's reveal. Behold.

[collapse="Most likely roster (OLD)"]

[/collapse]

EDIT 2 : My second post-E3 2013 roster, reduced to 50 slots and in which I've did some painful cuts from my first post-E3 roster.

[collapse="Most likely roster (OLD)"]
[/collapse]

EDIT 3 : New likely roster update of awesome.
[collapse="Most likely roster (NEW)"]
[/collapse](Choices' commentary coming soon)

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
6/2/2013

Reasons

Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario: Jr. is now an integral part of super mario franchise and is now considered a main antagonist, he has pretty much been one since sunshine so I think he finally deserves his spot in the sun, he will also be the mario franchises only MAIN addition.

King Boo: Since King Boo has consistently been luigi's villian in the luigis mansion games I think he deserves a spot, also gives luigi more recognition as his own character (this is the year of luigi after all.)

Waluigi: he is warios brother (technically not confirmed but hopefully will be) and more importantly luigis rival, he is the only shadow of a shadow, he was popular enough to warrant an assist trophy for brawl and would be a very entertaining/troll character, its almost a bonus that he doesnt even have his own game yet because it makes him even more pathetic lol.

Paper Mario: He is the main character of his unrepresented franchise with plenty of game entrants, he would bring a unique playstyle to the table, and is very popular.

Geno: The most popular of the mario rpg characters, he would be the first of two characters from the beloved super mario rpg games, he is iconic to that game and would deliver an interesting moveset as well as rep everyone's favorite classic. (character model would be redesigned similar to pits.)

Mallow: He is alot less popular than geno of the smrpg characters but I feel they should come as a package, geno and mallow feel inseparable as characters and I feel if square were to allow one then the other would follow, he would also have a great move set as well. (character model would be redesigned similar to pits.)

Mewtwo: One of the most wanted characters for ssb and a oddly cut veteran, he is iconic as hell and can offer a great moveset (but it needs to be reworked from melee), he is also relevant as he is receiving an apparently new form, this form I would also like incorporate into the game possibly through a set condition mid battle (not an item like the smash ball) this would be up to sakurai but I think it is very important that BOTH forms of mewtwo are included. (the transformation counts as the 6th generation rep).

Blue: The Ideal of the pokemon trainer (or red) that sakurai came up with was a great ideal to represent other less iconic pokemon, the trainer options allows you to represent different pokemon generations and types, blue is the second most iconic trainer to the pokemon franchise so I found him to be naturally the second pokemon trainer, his 3 pokemon need to consist of a 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and 5th gen pokemon, and 3 different types not used in the game (ex. Ice, Dark, poison), this trainer would help further represent the entire pokemon franchise as a whole.

Skull Kid: He is the main antagonist of the Majoras Mask game, he is pretty popular and would help represent this zelda game, (zelda games as a whole are being represented in this game) he offers a unique moveset (possibly vega mask fall of style?) that would further show of how important the zelda franchise is.

Ghirahim: He is undoubtedly the most popular skyward sword character and is a character that could possibly return later to the series, he is the spirit inside the almight demises sword and battles you several times throughout skyward sword with a plethora of different attacks, he is almost a shoe in.

Demise: He is the next most important zelda character in the franchise next to link, zelda and ganon, he is the reason for the zelda series to exist and is extremely cool, he sword/lightning/ghirahim wielding makes for a perfect character addition, expect this character to appear again in the franchise.

Midna (and wolf link but the announcer will just say midna): She is the most iconic character from twilight princess, she is ruler of the twilight zone and would have a unique moveset while riding on wolf link, she is almost as popular as skull kid and is another great way represent the zelda franchise as a whole.

Issac: He is very popular and would represent the golden sun franchise which currently has no reps, he was an assist trophy in brawl and would offer an interesting psy/earthy moveset, no one should object his addition.

Palutena: The leader of pit who has been recently popularized thanks to the new Kid Icarus game would be a great way to further represent the growing franchise.

Shulk: The main character of the new and highly sought after xenoblade franchise, he has grown in popularity thanks to xenoblade being finally ported and would be the first rep in a good new franchise.

Diddy and Dixie: Dixie is extremely iconic and very popular thanks to the dkc games, she is most known for teaming up with diddy in dkc2 and thats what she would be doing in this game, the bannana move from diddy kong is now given to dixie but replaced with the classic Switch Clap so you can tag in Diddy or Dixie depending who you are, this would satisfy dixie fans while staying true to her character.

King K. Rool: An Extremely popular character, the main villian of the dkc franchise and hes a freaking king crocadile, not much needs to be said he is the obvious next choice for a donkey kong representative and it wouldnt be surprising to see him appear in dkcr2.

Jill: A character popular enough to get her own assist trophy and is from franchise drill dozer (a game that was made from the creators of pokemon) that has no representative what so ever, she would rep a great virtually underrated nintendo Ip while offering an interesting drill moveset, (heck the game might even get a sequel due to her inclusion.)

Starfy: Another character that was popular enough to get an assist trophy, is the main character from an un repped good nintendo franchise, possibly could be used as a marketing tool to allow ports of the older starfy games to come over.

Dark Samus: A pretty popular metroid character from the metroid prime series, and is basically the main antagonist of the prime series, she would be designed by using in game moves to make sure she was not a clone.

Ridley: The most or second most popular character to be included, the main antagonist of metroid as a whole, was a boss in brawl, is a kickass space dragon thing.

Saki: The main character of the original sin and punishment franchise as well as isa's father, was popular enough to become an assist trophy, is very popular in japan, and would represent an unsung great nintendo franchise.

Tom Nook: He is the most iconic character of the animal crossing franchise and is the best to represent an extremely popular unrepresented franchise.

Ray: Was popular enough to get his own assist trophy, really popular in japan, is currently the most iconic character in the custom robo franchise, and would represent another great unsung nintendo franchise.

Krystal: A popular character who is the main protagonists love interest, she had a game that centered around saving her, she is a telepathic, she also has a really awesome staff that leads to a great movelist overall and is the optimal next star fox character choice.

Lyn: A popular fire emblem character that was deemed worthy enough to get an assist trophy, she is the main antagonist from the first american release for the fire emblem series, she kicks butt and thats about it.

Roy: Another very popular fire emblem character who is a cut veteran, he has also been included in the new fire emblem game (i believe dlc), his moveset would be entirely reworked to unclone him.

Takamaru: My first retro choice who has sprung up in popularity recently (maybe due to nintendo land), popular in japan, would help close out the retro section.

Porky: The main antagonist of the mother series and was a boss battle in ssb, he moves in a spiderlike robot so expect his moveset to be extremely unique, his theme is dope.

Little Mac: A very popular ex retro character who would represent the great punch out series, so popular he got his own assist trophy, would be the most normal character in the game.

Balloon Fighter: My second retro choice to represent the old balloon fighter game, his floating gamestyle would be very interesting, im sure his moveset would be very creative. (also known through nintendo land like takamaru).

Samurai Goroh: Finally a second rep for the F Zero franchise, he is captain falcons rival, he was popular enough to get an assist trophy.

Black Shadow: The main antagonist of Captain Falcon and the F zero franchise, he is also pretty popular and leaves room for a moveset that can be played around with (similar to how the captain was).

Megaman: The most popular 3rd party character that has not been included, the nes was megamans original home and what he is known for best, capcom has had a great relationship with nintendo over the years, its around his 25th anniversary.

Pac-Man: The most iconic character for namco, namco is working on ssb4 with sakurai.

Rayman: Ubisoft has had a great relationship with nintendo and the optimal version of rayman legends is coming out for wii U.

Sora: He has several games on nintendo platforms, Is currently squares most iconic figure (after cloud/sephi), and would come as a bundle deal along with Geno and Mallow.

Current Veterans to get extreme reworkings are (Lucario, Falco, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Lucas)

Arteen

Smash Lord
Here's my prediction:

I limited this to 39 slots, which is only 4 more than Brawl. I don't expect a huge roster increase. I'm also leaving out third-parties in my predictions, because predicting those a feat in and of itself.

Analysis:

Mario
The Mario series already has great representation between Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Those four and Toad are the core characters in the franchise. That said, the Mario franchise is huge and certainly deserves another playable character. Bowser Jr is an easy choice. He's had a major role in nearly every mainline Mario platformer since Sunshine, so he represents the latest decade of Mario games.

Toad is a tempting choice, but I'd expect him to be classified as a non-fighter, like the Animal Crossing characters or Miis. I love Waluigi, but he's a spinoff-only character of no real importance. Geno will never happen. Not even a sticker. Paper Mario would have an awesome moveset, but I expect it will be represented by a stage, rather than a character.

Yoshi
Yoshi represents his games fine by himself. The franchise tends to have good stage representation.

Wario
Wario represents his games fine by himself. His appearance, moves, and stage represent both his Wario Land legacy and his recent WarioWare games. Captain Syrup is minor as far as villains go, and the various WarioWare characters are gimmicky and better suited as Assist Trophies.

Donkey Kong
This is a large franchise, and Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong make for strong representation. I was hesitant to give the series a third slot, but the Kremling side of the franchise feels surprisingly underrepresented in the SSB games. K Rool would flesh out that aspect of the franchise, and his wacky personality would make for a fun character.

Dixie is the only other major contender, but she's mostly redundant with Diddy from "franchise representation" perspective, and doesn't even appear in some major games, like DK64 and Returns. K Rool adds much more. If Dixie gets in, it will be through some sort of tag-team with Diddy.

Legend of Zelda
Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda are givens. I expect Sheik to return due to a combination of tradition and inertia. No need to mess with what works. Toon Link sticks around and well. He's appeared in so many games since Wind Waker, so he's still relevant. With any luck, he'll get a new moveset to better represent his games, rather than being a clone.

Metroid
It will stick to Samus/ZSS. Samus is a loner and she'll stay that way in the next SSB. ZSS, like Sheik, is not particularly important to the overall franchise, but will stay in due to inertia.

Ridley won't be playable. He's just too lanky and awkward to work in a satisfying way. A charizard-sized Ridley will just look silly.

Dark Samus would be great representation for the stellar Metroid Prime games, with a unique moveset (and I'd prefer her over ZSS), but I don't think she'll make it in. I doubt that Sakurai wants to represent Metroid with three different versions of "Samus".

Kirby
Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight are more than enough to represent the franchise.

Pokemon
This is a tough one. Pikachu is in, obviously. Jigglypuff is increasingly irrelevant, but will stay in thanks to SSB tradition/inertia. Lucario gets replaced by the more recent Zoroark. Mewtwo makes a much-deserved return. As the only non-clone missing in Brawl, and an important character in his own right, he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. Pokemon Trainer gets a new set of Pokemon from the more recent games.

F-Zero
This will stay as Captain Falcon only. It's a small franchise and doesn't need any other characters to represent it. Goroh and Black Shadow are Assist Trophy material. They are largely interchangeable with any other racer in the games. Their "importance" comes from a paragraph of text in their bios saying that they're rivals with Falcon.

Star Fox
This will be Fox, Falco, and Krystal. The franchise is not large enough for four spots, especially when three of the characters are largely similar. Either Falco or Wolf will get dropped, and Falco's SSB veteran status will win out. Krystal is an important character to the franchise, she would have a unique, staff-based moveset, and she's one of the few female characters worth adding.

Fire Emblem
I really have no idea, since I never played the games, so I'm just tossing out wild guesses. Chrom will be the new Roy/Ike character. In a tossup between veteran Marth and newcomer "Marth", Lucina just might win out.

Pikmin
Olimar is enough to represent this small franchise.

Earthbound
This is a small franchise that's mostly Japan-only, so it doesn't need two characters. Ness is a SSB veteran, and Lucas's game was only released in Japan, so Ness stays and Lucas is out.

Kid Icarus
Pit stays, obviously. Palutena's a tougher call. The series is small and doesn't need more than one character, but Sakurai, coming off of Kid Icarus: Uprising, may personally want to include another. Palutena seems the most likely choice.

Retro
Ice Climbers stay. They're veterans with a unique moveset. ROB featured heavily in Subspace Emissary, so Sakurai's probably a fan of the character and will keep him around. Game & Watch, while not the most popular character, will likely stay, due to his veteran status. If he does get dropped, G&W will at least get stage representation.

Other
Isaac from Golden Sun. Golden Sun is a notable handheld franchise that has had a release since Brawl. The next SSB will be on the 3DS, so I expect that it will pay more attention towards representing handheld franchises. His psychic powers and earth magic would give him a unique moveset, so he'd fit in perfectly.

Andy from Advance Wars. Like Golden Sun, this is another major handheld series that got little representation in Brawl. I'd expect a moveset based off of military weapons, similar to Snake.

Shulk from Xenoblade. Xenoblade is Monolith Soft's biggest release since they were bought by Nintendo, so Shulk is the obvious choice.

Like in Brawl, Animal Crossing and Mii characters will not be playable. Little Mac won't be playable, either. He's a boxer, and Sakurai could design a moveset entirely around punching, but I suspect he won't.

Not to speculate too much on third-party characters, but I don't expect Snake to return.

And for fun, here's a more idealized roster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom