• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderceus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anderceus
3DS FC
0877-0236-8016
I'm hoping for more de confirmations, either by assist trophy or trophy.
Question to you guys. Would you rather see your favorite be de confirmed through a pic of the day, or go into the game when it releases, unlock everything, and then see that they're not playable?
Pic of the day, that gives me less time to get my hopes up.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
We already have Ganondorf that's why. Geez....
Well, with Sakurai, that means nothing. 'Cause Young Link and Doctor Mario
People don't care because:
  1. Already in smash as Ganondorf's Fianl Smash.
  2. Would rather have the moves on Ganondorf
  3. Other reasons.
1. But not as an actual transformation, ala Giga Bowser.
2. Ganon has plenty of moveset potential to pull from that Ganondorf never uses.
3. What others?

(For the record, I don't think he's likely in the lease, but he's at least possible.)

Also, this thread moves too fast.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm hoping for more de confirmations, either by assist trophy or trophy.
Question to you guys. Would you rather see your favorite be de confirmed through a pic of the day, or go into the game when it releases, unlock everything, and then see that they're not playable?
I'd rather know ahead of time personally

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What heavy-weight newcomer potentials do we have?

The obvious ones that come to mind are King K. Rool and Ridley. Are there anymore?
There aren't very many likely and potential heavy weights, so I guess K. Rool and Ridley is all there is.

Might aswell get it over with as soon as possible if the character isn't playable.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

The obvious ones that come to mind are King K. Rool and Ridley. Are there anymore?
Does King Boo count? He's got some support, he's a ghost but like Rosalina is classed as a Heavy Kart racer.

That dog looks either depressed or pissed in the screenshot.

----
Why not both?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm mostly content with Mega Man as it is. I myself just want Ridley, Little Mac, Isaac, K.Rool and Dixie the most. Throw in Palutena too if you feel like it. But other than that, the devs can add whoever they feel would be interesting.

We already had Mario, didn't stop Sakurai adding Dr. Mario or people wanting Paper Mario.
True, but would you personally want more of that? My main issue with Beast Ganon is that time spent on him could be used on making Ganondorf more his own character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Like I said. Give Ganondorf the trident, give him an original moveset, and call it a day. Forget Classic Ganon. Give me characters that would actually draw hype from MASS audiences.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So far a super heavy weight has been added in each Smash. I really only see Ridley and King K. Rool as contenders for that title right now.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
True, but would you personally want more of that? My main issue with Beast Ganon is that time spent on him could be used on making Ganondorf more his own character.
Honestly and personally? No. No, I don't. I agree it'd be better to spend that time on Ganondorf with maybe a playable Ganon FS(since it's fairly easy to dodge as it is).

But I know others did want Paper Mario and even Doc has his fans which is why I can understand Blue's perplexity at how Ganon's not got much support when the likes of Toon Zelda come off as a likely Zelda newcomer.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why not both? Ganon becoming playable doesn't mean Ganondorf wouldn't get any love.
It's just a stupid idea. It's time spent on two unique movesets for two versions of the same person. Whereas you can just fix Ganondorf, and have a unique character that isn't a form of him.

Dr. Mario may have happened, but it's not like everybody wants two forms of ANOTHER character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

2. Ganon has plenty of moveset potential to pull from that Ganondorf never uses.
3. What others?

(For the record, I don't think he's likely in the lease, but he's at least possible.)

Point 2 is why we shouldn't get a completely seperate character to represent Ganondorf. Just give Ganon some of his own unique attacks and call it a day.

Why not both? Ganon becoming playable doesn't mean Ganondorf wouldn't get any love.
Low expectations. And that less time is spent on simply giving one character a set of unique moves.

Honestly and personally? No. No, I don't. I agree it'd be better to spend that time on Ganondorf with maybe a playable Ganon FS(since it's fairly easy to dodge as it is).

But I know others did want Paper Mario and even Doc has his fans which is why I can understand Blue's perplexity at how Ganon's not got much support when the likes of Toon Zelda come off as a likely Zelda newcomer.
Let me be clear with one last thing. With Mario and Link, they have their own movesets. But Ganon is a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. Why would I want another version of Ganon if the one we have now can be changed on his own and pretty much be a new character simply by changing his play style a little?

Though I agree Beast Ganon >>>>>> Toon Zelda, no questions.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's just a stupid idea. It's time spent on two unique movesets for two versions of the same person. Whereas you can just fix Ganondorf, and have a unique character that isn't a form of him.

Dr. Mario may have happened, but it's not like everybody wants two forms of ANOTHER character.
Well, we also have the token child Link.

And support for Paper Mario, Doc's return and Toon Zelda is still a thing, so even if it's not everybody, it is still there.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Like I said. Give Ganondorf the trident, give him an original moveset, and call it a day. Forget Classic Ganon. Give me characters that would actually draw hype from MASS audiences.
Ganondorf never has used a trident, though. In fact, in canon, Ganondorf was transformed into Ganon because of the trident (in Four Swords Adventure).

And regardless, a unique moveset for Ganondorf could made without using what Ganon has at his disposal.

Well, that's exactly what was being suggested for Paper Mario.

Ganon is just as seperated from Ganondorf in abilities as Paper Mario and Mario are. If not moreso.

Point 2 is why we shouldn't get a completely seperate character to represent Ganondorf. Just give Ganon some of his own unique attacks and call it a day.

Low expectations. And that less time is spent on simply giving one character a set of unique moves.
Why? Because Ganon is seperate enough from Ganondorf in moveset potential that both of them could have a unique moveset?

I do get the low expectations point, though. I don't expect it at all. But it is possible.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

It is times like this that I wish Toon Link was actually cut and Link is fixed to the point he is just as good as Toon Link is in Brawl. I guess Sakurai wants to keep Link sucking so he can justify adding Toon Link.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Ok, let's give Mario the ability to turn into paper, now were being efficient. :awesome:

Ironically enough, Kawashima would be a heavyweight too due to his big head.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, we also have the token child Link.

And support for Paper Mario, Doc's return and Toon Zelda is still a thing, so even if it's not everybody, it is still there.
Ganondorf never has used a trident, though. In fact, in canon, Ganondorf was transformed into Ganon because of the trident (in Four Swords Adventure).

And regardless, a unique moveset for Ganondorf could made without using what Ganon has at his disposal.

Well, that's exactly what was being suggested for Paper Mario.

Ganon is just as seperated from Ganondorf in abilities as Paper Mario and Mario are. If not moreso.

Why? Because Ganon is seperate enough from Ganondorf in moveset potential that both of them could have a unique moveset?

I do get the low expectations point, though. I don't expect it at all. But it is possible.
First, It would be far more iconic for Ganondorf to use at least a sword/trident and dark magic together. However, it is certainly not iconic of him to jog to improve his cardio like he does in Brawl. Canon gets screwed in Smash Bros. Sakurai could take liberties with the trident and probably get away with it.

My point on avoiding Ganon altogether is that the time spent on a second version could be used on a better character as far as uniqueness and persona go. Toon Link is in because of reasons Sakurai has expressed, and his reasons make sense and are valid. A second version of Mario isn't really needed.

Just because there is support for something, doesn't mean it is a good idea for Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Discussing about alternate takes on a character?

It's Jumpman time again!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Jumpman is just Pop-eye in a Mario costume. Which would make Donkey Kong, Bluto in a monkey suit.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ganondorf never has used a trident, though. In fact, in canon, Ganondorf was transformed into Ganon because of

In essence they are the same character, no? I'm not denying that each form can separate from one another. What I am saying is, why bother adding another Ganon when the one we have now could use so many changes? Despite their chances to be different, both could easily be made similar as well. Both are capable of using Dark Magic, and are big, strong fighters.

This isn't quite on the same level as Mario and Link, in that those two have their own movesets. Ganon doesn't. Which is why Ganon should be changed first, before we go on about his alternate form.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That is unless a character gets in as heavy unexpectedly like id mentioned before, what if palutena was a heavyweight?
Well, I'm pretty sure they're talking conventional heavyweight, ala Bowser. Palutena would be in the "projectile user" archetype.
First, It would be far more iconic for Ganondorf to use at least a sword/trident and dark magic together. However, it is certainly not iconic of him to jog to improve his cardio like he does in Brawl. Canon gets screwed in Smash Bros. Sakurai could take liberties with the trident and probably get away with it.
He could, but I don't think it's necessary at all.

My point on avoiding Ganon altogether is that the time spent on a second version could be used on a better character as far as uniqueness and persona go. Toon Link is in because of reasons Sakurai has expressed, and his reasons make sense and are valid. A second version of Mario isn't really needed.

Just because there is support for something, doesn't mean it is a good idea for Smash Bros.[/quote]
The time that would be spent on Ganondorf would have nothing to do with Ganon himself. That's like saying that Ridley getting in lowers Palutena's chances.

A second version of Mario, I agree, is unnecessary, but including both Ganon and Ganondorf would represent the Legend of Zelda very well. Ganon has been the main antagonist in about as many games as Ganondorf has, if not more. And that includes the original Legend of Zelda.

Since Sakurai has already expressed interest in representing the Legend of Zelda's incarnations with Toon Link, it's not much of a stretch to say that he might want to represent Ganon alongside Ganondorf.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Shulk, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Mach Rider, Pac-Man, Mii, Dillon, Lip, Mewtwo, Roy and *sigh* Little Mac.

After extensive analysis, I have determined that these are your newcomers (and returning rejects).

D

Deleted member

Toon Link is in because of reasons Sakurai has expressed, and his reasons make sense and are valid.
Sakurai said nothing about Toon Link, only Young Link.
And even then, as I looked into it....Sakurai never really said anything about his feelings of Young Link that I can see.

He said that "Link's creator" (which would be Miyamoto) sees a younger Link being more natural on Young Link's page on Melee's "Dojo" and also has the statement "Link's younger incarnation is often considered to be the true Link: he was a young boy in the very first Legend of Zelda game, and he has appeared as a youth in most of the subsequent games." on Young Link's trophy, but it seems people have taken that way out of proportion to say that Sakurai thinks Link needs to have a younger incarnation in Smash.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In essence they are the same character, no? I'm not denying that each form can separate from one another. What I am saying is, why bother adding another Ganon when the one we have now could use so many changes? Despite their chances to be different, both could easily be made similar as well. Both are capable of using Dark Magic, and are big, strong fighters.

This isn't quite on the same level as Mario and Link, in that those two have their own movesets. Ganon doesn't. Which is why Ganon should be changed first, before we go on about his alternate form.
Ganondorf has actually been shown to be the more magically oriented of the two, while Ganon has been shown to use more brute strength. While they are the same character/incarnations of the same character, they are very different in how they fight.

I do agree that Ganondorf's decloning should be prioritized. However, Ganondorf's decloning and Ganon's playable status can coexist. Ganondorf would get the sword while Ganon gets the trident. Ganondorf would get Dead Man's Volley while Ganon would get his flaming bats. See what I'm saying? There's potential to use Ganon and Ganondorf's abilities in a way that both movesets would be very different, while still being unique.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think a Trident created by dark energy for a dash attack for Ganondorf would be the best way to incoporate the Trident.

Morbi

Scavenger

We were about to get four Zeldas. I doubt Ganon, who would have a new moveset as an inherent quality is a bad thing.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's not what I'm saying.

Ganon and Ganondorf, while different forms, are the same person. Instead of spending time on two of the same character, in my opinion, he should focus on improving Ganondorf overall, and focus on other series.

When newcomers are coming in a smaller pack overall, and are getting in based on what they can bring to the table that others cannot, I find it heavily hypocritical for Classic Ganon to get in, let alone Toon Zelda. I just don't see the allure of adding more than one of the same character at this point. Sure, the moveset is different, but it's still a bad idea with little provocation to do so.

EDIT: Smashboards botched my post. Oh well...

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

3. What others?

1. Many want Ganondorf's Final Smash to be closer to Giga Bowser.
  2. Having both a Ganon and a Decloned Ganondorf at once would be bad for both of them, because their potential is very similar. They would cannibalize each others uniqueness. This is not a problem when Ganon is Final Smash, but would be a problem as a seperate character.
  3. That point was non-specific reasons other may have.
A second version of Mario, I agree, is unnecessary, but including both Ganon and Ganondorf would represent the Legend of Zelda very well. Ganon has been the main antagonist in about as many games as Ganondorf has, if not more. And that includes the original Legend of Zelda.
We already have Ganon, Zelda wouldn't be repped much better.

Since Sakurai has already expressed interest in representing the Legend of Zelda's incarnations with Toon Link, it's not much of a stretch to say that he might want to represent Ganon alongside Ganondorf.
He Already does, as a Final Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai said nothing about Toon Link, only Young Link.
And even then, as I looked into it....Sakurai never really said anything about his feelings of Young Link that I can see.

He said that "Link's creator" (which would be Miyamoto) sees a younger Link being more natural on Young Link's page on Melee's "Dojo" and also has the statement "Link's younger incarnation is often considered to be the true Link: he was a young boy in the very first Legend of Zelda game, and he has appeared as a youth in most of the subsequent games." on Young Link's trophy, but it seems people have taken that way out of proportion to say that Sakurai thinks Link needs to have a younger incarnation in Smash.
Well at this point, I think if Sakurai didn't think it was a good idea to have two Links, we wouldn't have two Links in Smash Bros.

Again, the reasoning that you posted makes sense. Young Links (and in turn Toon Link) are a large part of Zelda, and do a great job of representing the series. Younger Links make more appearances than the older version anyway. But it's all irrelevant. If Sakurai has that statement on that page, then that it what we have to work off of.

While he doesn't say Toon Link directly, I think it's fair to assume that Toon Link is a visual upgrade to Young Link, likely to stay relevant with the titles released as of late, and in turn is relatable to the context of the quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom