• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Ganondorf has actually been shown to be the more magically oriented of the two, while Ganon has been shown to use more brute strength. While they are the same character/incarnations of the same character, they are very different in how they fight.
I Somewhat Disagree with this. The only fight's were Ganon really fights with brute strength is OoT and TP.

2. I personally disagree. Ganondorf's potential is largely seperate from Ganon's. Ganon's includes the trident, bats, and whatnot, while Ganondorf's includes more magic attacks and swords.
Trident and Firebats, everything else he has is either Generic or shared with Ganondorf. We would end up with two dark magic + melee weapon using Heavyweights. Even with one having a trident and one having a sword there's a limit on how different that would actually make them.

Ganon's representation is poorly done. As a final Smash, we get the concept across that Ganondorf can transform into a beast. However, in many Zelda games, Ganondorf is not present and Ganon is the main antagonist. (The Ganon I'm specifically talking about is the blue one with the trident, as that's the one that has appeared in most games. The exceptions are Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.)
It make very much sense that Ganon would either be Final Smash or transformation, since they are the same character. I do think they should use a Ganon other than the TP one and let it be controllable

Nah. I don't think he'll actually be getting in, I'm just trying to say that it's possible.
Don't find him impossible either.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You mean where everybody is a ****? Isn't it already like that? :troll:
Surely a Lorule version would be where we all respect one another's opinion and live in peace and harmony.

So guys what do you think of the newcomers Anti-Sakurai has shown us currently?

Personally I'm not a fan of Toad but I can't wait to play as Kapp'n, Saria and Nintendog. I was pissed when I saw Wii Fit Trainer was just a frigging Assist Trophy too. Tsk.

D

Deleted member

Having a second Link actually makes sense in regards to the series it is representing though. There is logic behind it. Dr. Mario doesn't have that.

He could have gone with the classic look, however, Toon Link is still the dominant design of the younger Links in the last few years. Of course this point is honestly irrelevant to the discussion.

It makes sense to have a second Link with a different design for two reasons. One is that there are games with either young or older Link, both have relevant and important roles throughout the series. The second is that the designs differentiate them better (this is my opinion moreso than fact.)

Toon Link not only covers a significant amount of Zelda history, but also represents the child Link in general...

Some people just like to play as a younger Link. Again, if Sakurai didn't like the idea, he would have scrapped it. Not that he didn't like Dr. Mario, but if we take what happened with Brawl into account, then it would appear that Sakurai found a second Link more important than a second Mario, and I would have to agree with him.

I can't say why he chose the Toon Design for sure. It's Sakurai.
If two separate versions of any other character is "unwarranted", having two separate Links makes no ****ing sense no matter how you try to justify it. It's hypocritical.
Since the argument is that a "younger" Link is more influential to the franchise, then the fighter known as "Link" should just be a younger incarnation. I mean, how many games has Link been more on the adult side, 2?

EDIT: And according to Smash, "Toon Link" only covers two games; Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.
But I've said this before a while back.
But you know what that means? He's representing the "Hero of Winds", not all younger Links in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If two separate versions of any other character is "unwarranted", having two separate Links makes no ****ing sense no matter how you try to justify it. It's hypocritical.
I disagree entirely. It makes sense to have two Links based on the importance that both play in Zelda as a series. Having two Links doesn't mean that Ridley and Meta Ridley as separate playable characters makes any sense. This is because it isn't all that important to Metroid in general. Sure, Ridley has had his separate forms, but his most iconic look is the purple Super Metroid one. Link has several appearances, and therefore has two very different forms. I view it as a situation with a fine line.

In addition, while I think Dr.Mario should be in the game (as an Alternate costume), he does not have the same justification as Toon Link does. Dr. Mario may have his own series, but it is far from a major icon of Nintendo. Regardless of design, a young Link is something that is persistent in the Zelda series.

The reason I don't believe it's hypocritical, besides what I've listed already, falls back on this. Imagine Sakurai adds a completely separate second Samus. It's a completely different suit, but has the same attacks. That doesn't make any sense really. It's a waste of a slot, and we already have Samus in her most iconic appearance.

Of course, you could say that we should nix the Older Link instead. However, the older Link is one way or another the Iconic Link to the Legend of Zelda series. Most of the big console titles (SS,TP, OoT) features a Link that is older than say, Toon Link in Wind Waker.

Overall, both forms are important. No matter how you slice it, our opinions don't really matter. Toon Link is already in the game, which tells me that Sakurai is keen on the idea, and I don't see him going back on it anytime soon. Dr. Mario specifically has it tough because of the possibilities as a 6th Mario slot. For all we know, Sakurai may consider the Links an exception. It's a mystery.

D

Deleted member

The reason I don't believe it's hypocritical, besides what I've listed already, falls back on this. Imagine Sakurai adds a completely separate second Samus. It's a completely different suit, but has the same attacks. That doesn't make any sense really. It's a waste of a slot, and we already have Samus in her most iconic appearance.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I Somewhat Disagree with this. The only fight's were Ganon really fights with brute strength is OoT and TP.
Actually, you may be right there. The next part more elaborates on what I'm thinking.

Trident and Firebats, everything else he has is either Generic or shared with Ganondorf. We would end up with two dark magic + melee weapon using Heavyweights. Even with one having a trident and one having a sword there's a limit on how different that would actually make them.
I actually would adjust Ganondorf to be lighter and faster than he currently is, and Ganondorf wouldn't be heavyweight in the end. Maybe the heavier end of mid-weight. They would both use some dark magic, yes, and they would both use melee weapons, but it would be about as different as Rosalina and Zelda in excecution. Both are tall, light, magic-using women, but they end up playing entirely differently. Ganon being much larger and bulkier than Ganondorf would also differentiate them a lot. They don't have anything close to the same body types, so their melee attacks would basially be entirely different. Ganon would be large and would use projectiles and his trident to keep the opponent away from him and his large frame and would probably have terrible recovery. Ganondorf, on the other hand, would be an in-your face fighter for the most part (a bit like he is now in that way) with the occasional projectile and a sword that reaches decently far, but not enough to really out-space most opponents.

And, keep in mind, my concept is probably different than what Sakurai would do, but, if I can make them different in concept fairly easily, I imagine that a professional game developer like Sakurai could as well.

It make very much sense that Ganon would either be Final Smash or transformation, since they are the same character. I do think they should use a Ganon other than the TP one and let it be controllable

Don't find him impossible either.
I would be fairly content with that, honestly. And, as long as you recognize that he's at least possible, I'm content.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Personally I'm not a fan of Toad but I can't wait to play as Kapp'n, Saria and Nintendog. I was pissed when I saw Wii Fit Trainer was just a frigging Assist Trophy too. Tsk.
And to think that Wii Fit Trainer had so much support. She was considered a shoo-on. Now look at us. We're terrible at this!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I see Link as an exception. With other characters, it's moreso a persona of the induvidual. Dr. Mario is Mario, but as a Doctor. It's the same character. Each Link is a different Link, therefore it makes a bit more sense if there's two or so, representing different incarnations and art styles.

And to think that Wii Fit Trainer had so much support. She was considered a shoo-on. Now look at us. We're terrible at this!
Logic Bullet?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is this to show that she has different abilities in a different suit? I'm assuming that is the point.

My point regarding Samus wasn't that she doesn't have separate abilities in a seperate suit. It's that a second suit is unnecessary as it doesn't represent much else. Samus can be successfully represented by having a single slot with her classic red,orange, and yellow that is seen in most Metroid games, and with the typical abilities from the game.

The Links don't represent the differences in gameplay, they are symbolic for the several titles in the Zelda series that they appear in.

Morbi

Scavenger
If there is anything that Bioshock Infinite taught me, in alternate dimensions, there are variables, and constants.

In this proposed scenario, Smashboards is still a message board for a Nintendo game.

Maybe in this alternate universe, I'll have a straight spine! :awesome:

Oh, and Ridley will be too small.
You lost your Bioshock credibility when you changed your avatar. I no longer view you as Booker, now you are your own person. Pathetic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Classic Ganon would represent the designs of LttP, the two classic Zeldas, and Link Between Worlds. So far we hadn't got anyone with that design yet. Classic Ganon would have a very distinct design.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You lost your Bioshock credibility when you changed your avatar. I no longer view you as Booker, now you are your own person. Pathetic.
Morbid please! You must understand! I wanted to be Booker, but once Smashboards changed the avatar sizes, Booker was incredibly small and insignificant. If I had a better picture, I may change it back.

D

Deleted member

Is this to show that she has different abilities in a different suit? I'm assuming that is the point.

My point regarding Samus wasn't that she doesn't have separate abilities in a seperate suit. It's that a second suit is unnecessary as it doesn't represent much else. Samus can be successfully represented by having a single slot with her classic red,orange, and yellow that is seen in most Metroid games, and with the typical abilities from the game.

The Links don't represent the differences in gameplay, they are symbolic for the several titles in the Zelda series that they appear in.
...No.
This is to show that JUST LIKE LINK, Samus has an iconic appearance separate to her "general" design.
One that chronologically, replaces the "general" suit in Fusion and will be the appearance she takes in any game that's post-Fusion (though most likely with the orange color scheme as in the end of Fusion).

However, just like Link, we don't need this alternate version.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What the hell? The other incarnation of Link is important and thus warranted. A second Sonic is not.

EDIT: And according to Smash, "Toon Link" only covers two games; Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.
According to Smash, Bulborb is only from Pikmin 2.

But I've said this before a while back.
But you know what that means? He's representing the "Hero of Winds", not all younger Links in general.
But, he IS Young Link.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
...No.
This is to show that JUST LIKE LINK, Samus has an iconic appearance separate to her "general" design.
One that chronologically, replaces the "general" suit in Fusion and will be the appearance she takes in any game that's post-Fusion (though most likely with the orange color scheme as in the end of Fusion).
I'd wager that a Young version of Link is more significant to Zelda than that suit is to Metroid.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Classic Ganon would represent the designs of LttP, the two classic Zeldas, and Link Between Worlds. So far we hadn't got anyone with that design yet. Classic Ganon would have a very distinct design.
Along with the original LoZ, the Oracle games, and Four Swords Adventure. That's a large chunk of the Zelda series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom