• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I still find the concept of a character tagging out for another one strange, save for Pokemon Trainer where that is implied by the nature of it. Zelda and Sheik should just be altered, Impa doesn't need to be in the equation. If she is put in the game, leave her separate.

D

Deleted member

I don't cling to Sheik because of Sheik, I just think the idea of replacing a character for no particular reason with an exact replica of the predecessor's moveset is just flat out redundant and pointless. Can't we just have Impa as a separate entity, is that just way too hard to ask for?

Also lol at people thinking that getting rid of Sheik is going to automatically solve every problem Zelda has. Just saying, the problem with Zelda is Zelda. Hard concept, but you'll understand eventually.
But it's not to fix Zelda, it's cause the transform concept is redundant as it is. If it's gonna be done, then do it right, and redo both characters so they work together properly, but don't just tag on a Down B transform and call it a transforming character. It feels so cheap, and even if you fix, Zelda, you'll never have a need to simlutaneously use them both in combat, in fact, the Down B becomes more of a hassle with missed inputs, even if you fix Zelda.

The argument is, even if you have both Zelda and Sheik as good characters, there's no need to keep the transform gimmick around since it's poorly implemented.

Either redo them, or scrap them. And if the problem lies in Impa being a replica that replaces, then fine, she's different and replaces Sheik. I was simply suggesting that to keep the Sheik mains from getting analy devastated over losing Sheik, but if that's what you want...

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh, thank you!
Speaking of thank you, I must say, that picture in your signature looks amazing colored. Thank you for using it. :)

I don't cling to Sheik because of Sheik, I just think the idea of replacing a character for no particular reason with an exact replica of the predecessor's moveset is just flat out redundant and pointless. Can't we just have Impa as a separate entity, is that just way too hard to ask for?

Also lol at people thinking that getting rid of Sheik is going to automatically solve every problem Zelda has. Just saying, the problem with Zelda is Zelda. Hard concept, but you'll understand eventually.
Can't we just give Sheik some of the abilities used in Skyward Sword? Sheik, while having to make a moveset for the most part, used moves relating to Impa in Ocarina of Time. I don't see why a few more moves can be pulled thanks to the fact that we now have actual abilities displayed by the Sheikah other than that of just Smoke Bombs.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I applaud your counterargument, sir. I must still disagree, however.

This Conductor Toon Link and the other Toon Link have as much in common (if not more in common) as Twilight Princess Link and Ocarina of Time Link. Would you include Ocarina of Time Link as a stage element when Twilight Princess Link is a playable character? No, you probably wouldn't. Because, in the end, they are both Links with a similar realistic art style. In parallel are the Toon Links. Both are using a "toon" cell-shaded art style, but one is simply more detailed than the other. As for why they didn't simply use Toon Link's green outfit for the conductor...it's because he's conducting a train. Art decision there.
If Ocarina of Time Link was crucial to what was happening in the stage, say if he's the one who sets the bridge on fire in Gerudo Valley for example, then I think it's fair to say he would be included regardless. The reason you can get away with this is that, much like how 8-bit DK is Cranky Kong and not our Donkey Kong, Spirit Tracks Link is not one and the same as Wind Waker Link. If the stage was riding a Steam Boat in Phantom Hourglass, that would be a different scenario entirely.

That being said, art style does not matter in characters being playable versus being stage elements. All art-style does is assist in making the two distinct from one another. As long as they are separate entities in the games they come from, legacy characters like Donkey Kong and Link are able to exist as both a stage element and a character at the same time. If Toon Link and Conductor Link stood side-by-side, there would be no confusion whatsoever during the fight, strengthening their co-existence from a gameplay standpoint thanks to different in appearance on part of aesthetic standpoints.

Once again, I'm not convinced that Conductor Link means we will have no Toon Link simply for the reason that they each have big eyes. Try again if you're expressing your view on this with the intent on convincing others.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If Ocarina of Time Link was crucial to what was happening in the stage, say if he's the one who sets the bridge on fire in Gerudo Valley for example, then I think it's fair to say he would be included regardless. The reason you can get away with this is that, much like how 8-bit DK is Cranky Kong and not our Donkey Kong, Spirit Tracks Link is not one and the same as Wind Waker Link. If the stage was riding a Steam Boat in Phantom Hourglass, that would be a different scenario entirely.

That being said, art style does not matter in characters being playable versus being stage elements. All art-style does is assist in making the two distinct from one another. As long as they are separate entities in the games they come from, legacy characters like Donkey Kong and Link are able to exist as both a stage element and a character at the same time. If Toon Link and Conductor Link stood side-by-side, there would be no confusion whatsoever during the fight, strengthening their co-existence from a gameplay standpoint thanks to different in appearance on part of aesthetic standpoints.

Once again, I'm not convinced that Conductor Link means we will have no Toon Link simply for the reason that they each have big eyes. Try again if you're expressing your view on this with the intent on convincing others.
I understand your point of view. I personally disagree on how you see the art style and all, but I'll accept that your point of view is that.

I would like to apologize if I sounded overly-argumentative in my debating. In the end, my opinion and yours are just that; opinions. They are bound to differ every once and awhile, and that's no excuse to get mean.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Thank you for drawing it!
No Problem at all. :)

So, what been going on around in this thread lately?
I'm trying to keep up myself ATM, but from what I can see, it's comparing Sheik and Impa and the differing reasons for cutting Sheik, adding Impa, or having both. In short...it's not a song and dance that hasn't been done before.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Bubbles isn't at the level of WtF like Nester, Mr. Hanafuda, or Harry.
I don't consider him really WTF, just another retro character.
But did anyone put Bubbles on their roster lately? Not really so Bubbles does have the WTF value as not many people would think Bubbles has a chance. Just like WTF, Snake, Lucas, PT, and so on.

D

Deleted member

As for Tingle, I have a hard time seeing what he could now that the Villager is in, and has a similar concept.
They really aren't that similar outside of a balloon and slingshot.
Tingle isn't just some dabbler of random tools.

In Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's main form of fighting consists of old-cartoon styled "dust cloud" assaults. This gives the impression of Tingle being a slapstick fighter with very exaggerated animations and over the top attacks that could basically be summed up as "Three Stooge Style". This would not be entirely out of character for Tingle either, given how eccentric he has shown to be.

Another key aspect of the game is the Bodyguard system. Since Tingle is kind of weak on his own, in order to advance through the game, Tingle has to pay various characters to serve as his "Bodyguard" throughout the game, giving him an edge in combat and completing puzzles that Tingle cannot do on his own (such as a Small Bodyguards squeezing through small holes, Medium Bodyguards picking locks, and Large Bodyguards tossing and smashing boulders that are in the way).
In Smash, this could be reflected as Tingle having generally weak attacks, but can pay to call forth a Bodyguard (either Teddy Todo, the first Bodyguard in the game as well as one of the three "Drifter Bodyguards", or as a double reference, among Kakashi, Buriki, and Lion from Love Balloon Trip) that serves as a follower that assists Tingle in combat until the Bodyguard runs out of health.

Which brings up a gimmick idea (which you probably won't like, but I don't care); Rupees.
In every game Tingle is in, Rupees (or an alternative form of currency) are a major part of him, and Rosy Rupeeland is no exception.
In that game, Rupees are literally his lifeforce due to a curse. He will die if he has no Rupees. BECAUSE they are his lifeforce, it makes various game decisions much more critical.
With that in mind, Tingle could feasibly have a Rupee system in Smash. By fighting his opponents, he gets Rupees from them that add to a Rupee Counter. Certain actions (such as hiring a Bodyguard) require paying from his Rupee Counter. Alternatively, Tingle can fire his collected Rupees in a machine gun fashion, much like how you combat the final boss in Rosy Rupeeland.
Unlike in Rupeeland however, having no Rupees does not mean death; it just means you're heavy limited in what you can do and have to get more, which COULD mean death depending on the situation.

In Love Balloon Trip, Tingle's main form of "combat" is a slingshot. However, a major aspect of the game is the Love Push. This game is focused more on getting women to love you, and you have to get all the available women to want you to be able to finish the game. The Love Push is essentially a Harvest Moon-like gift giving to the available women. You have to give them the right gifts that will make them fall for you.
In Smash, this could be referenced as a move where Tingle holds out a present with heart-filled eyes that paralyzes an opponent who is near it with disgust (if opponent is male), infatuation (if opponent is female), or confusion (if opponent has no determinable gender or is a Pokémon), giving Tingle (or his Bodyguard if he has one) enough time to strike.

All of that alone from his games is enough to show how viable he is for a unique set of moves and overall style.
I apologize for the wall of text; I was not expecting my post to end up that way....

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
First off, I don't know why you really need to make literally everything you say so emphasized between the colored text and larger font size. At the very least, keep it at size 3 like everybody else does, please.

Second, Square Enix hasn't published a main-series Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy VI Advance in 2006. There's been very little real relationship between Final Fantasy and Nintendo otherwise. With all the titles on PlayStation consoles, I would sooner think Final Fantasy has a better chance of getting into a Sony All-Stars 2. All of this in addition to the fact that it already has stiff competition with Namco-Bandai, who would provide us Pac-Man, or Level-5, who have been releasing tons of Professor Layton titles exclusively on Nintendo handhelds, AND the fact that Sakurai considers 3rd-Party characters to be something to be allowed under really, really strict conditions... Square Enix rep isn't happening.

Third, it already takes a lot of coding and time to create Pokemon Trainer. A 3rd-Party taking as much effort as Pokemon Trainer with even more licensing barriers to get through would be hell for Sakurai's development team. If any of them even did get into Smash Bros., it would only be one.

Hope that tells you all you need to know.

I stopped reading after that. First line and already so modest with yourself...

Welcome back!

I guess!

Well-excuse-me-Princess-Well.jpg

First off: I thought that since Square-Enix made a few FF games for Nintendo, why not honor he first original game that started it all.

Second: Green is the color I use on almost all my posts, (except when i upload from my phone because i cant choose color)
and about the font size
Does this suit your needs better
And stop criticizing people

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I understand your point of view. I personally disagree on how you see the art style and all, but I'll accept that your point of view is that.

I would like to apologize if I sounded overly-argumentative in my debating. In the end, my opinion and yours are just that; opinions. They are bound to differ every once and awhile, and that's no excuse to get mean.
Fair enough. And you didn't sound overly-argumentative. If anything, you were much more tolerable to debate with than a lot of people I've argued with on here. I'm glad you're self-conscious about that. You're the better man than most here, including me, in that regard.
Why not? Might actually be fun.
I don't like the cuts of Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Falco, and Lucas to accommodate Takamaru, Shulk, and Saki, but otherwise this seems like a very solid roster. It's the same as mine, in fact, with the exact preferences I just mentioned. The cuts would make me sad, but I could definitely live with said roster.

D

Deleted member

They really aren't that similar outside of a balloon and slingshot.
Tingle isn't just some dabbler of random tools.

In Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's main form of fighting consists of old-cartoon styled "dust cloud" assaults. This gives the impression of Tingle being a slapstick fighter with very exaggerated animations and over the top attacks that could basically be summed up as "Three Stooge Style". This would not be entirely out of character for Tingle either, given how eccentric he has shown to be.

Another key aspect of the game is the Bodyguard system. Since Tingle is kind of weak on his own, in order to advance through the game, Tingle has to pay various characters to serve as his "Bodyguard" throughout the game, giving him an edge in combat and completing puzzles that Tingle cannot do on his own (such as a Small Bodyguards squeezing through small holes, Medium Bodyguards picking locks, and Large Bodyguards tossing and smashing boulders that are in the way).
In Smash, this could be reflected as Tingle having generally weak attacks, but can pay to call forth a Bodyguard (either Teddy Todo, the first Bodyguard in the game as well as one of the three "Drifter Bodyguards", or as a double reference, among Kakashi, Buriki, and Lion from Love Balloon Trip) that serves as a follower that assists Tingle in combat until the Bodyguard runs out of health.

Which brings up a gimmick idea (which you probably won't like, but I don't care); Rupees.
In every game Tingle is in, Rupees (or an alternative form of currency) are a major part of him, and Rosy Rupeeland is no exception.
In that game, Rupees are literally his lifeforce due to a curse. He will die if he has no Rupees. BECAUSE they are his lifeforce, it makes various game decisions much more critical.
With that in mind, Tingle could feasibly have a Rupee system in Smash. By fighting his opponents, he gets Rupees from them that add to a Rupee Counter. Certain actions (such as hiring a Bodyguard) require paying from his Rupee Counter. Alternatively, Tingle can fire his collected Rupees in a machine gun fashion, much like how you combat the final boss in Rosy Rupeeland.
Unlike in Rupeeland however, having no Rupees does not mean death; it just means you're heavy limited in what you can do and have to get more, which COULD mean death depending on the situation.

In Love Balloon Trip, Tingle's main form of "combat" is a slingshot. However, a major aspect of the game is the Love Push. This game is focused more on getting women to love you, and you have to get all the available women to want you to be able to finish the game. The Love Push is essentially a Harvest Moon-like gift giving to the available women. You have to give them the right gifts that will make them fall for you.
In Smash, this could be referenced as a move where Tingle holds out a present with heart-filled eyes that paralyzes an opponent who is near it with disgust (if opponent is male), infatuation (if opponent is female), or confusion (if opponent has no determinable gender or is a Pokémon), giving Tingle (or his Bodyguard if he has one) enough time to strike.

All of that alone from his games is enough to show how viable he is for a unique set of moves and overall style.
I apologize for the wall of text; I was not expecting my post to end up that way....
Fair enough, I haven't played Tingle's games, but I'll give you that one.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I remember a post on GameFAQs that a joke/gimmicky moveset involving rupees as well.

Except Tingle's power would slowly increase over time and his B move would be throwing rupees which would do more damage as time progresses, as stated before.

Tingle would be a funny, annoying, and possibly unique character to have.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
First off: I thought that since Square-Enix made a few FF games for Nintendo, why not honor he first original game that started it all.

Second: Green is the color I use on almost all my posts, (except when i upload from my phone because i cant choose color)
and about the font size
Does this suit your needs better
And stop criticizing people
Whoa, calm down. You asked of what we thought, and I did exactly that. I told you what I thought. I don't know why you're taking offense to me giving criticism when the entire SSB4 Speculation part of Smashboards is primarily about criticism of one another's predictions.

And green is fine. It's the extra scrolling space I'd rather not be taken up. I'm not looking to make an enemy, but I'm not about to shake your hand and pat you on the back the minute you join a forum simply because you'd prefer that. It takes all kinds to make a community. It's best to learn that if you're trying to find yourself respecting others or being respected around here.

Edit: And I was saying that Square Enix has a lot of obstacles for having a character in Smash Bros. I never said they didn't make a lot of games on Nintendo, but I am saying they haven't made enough compared to their competition for them to be genuinely considered. Take it up with this thread if you seriously believe Smash Bros. is likely to get a Square Enix representative.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Whoa, calm down. You asked of what we thought, and I did exactly that. I told you what I thought. I don't know why you're taking offense to me giving criticism when the entire SSB4 Speculation part of Smashboards is primarily about criticism of one another's predictions.

And green is fine. It's the extra scrolling space I'd rather not be taken up. I'm not looking to make an enemy, but I'm not about to shake your hand and pat you on the back the minute you join a forum simply because you'd prefer that. It takes all kinds to make a community. It's best to learn that if you're trying to find yourself respecting others or being respected around here.

Edit: And I was saying that Square Enix has a lot of obstacles for having a character in Smash Bros. I never said they didn't make a lot of games on Nintendo, but I am saying they haven't made enough compared to their competition for them to be genuinely considered. Take it up with this thread if you seriously believe Smash Bros. is likely to get a Square Enix representative.
Ok, sorry, the way I read your post you sounded like you came off mean
Sorry about that

Also, the issue with Square-Enix not making as much Final Fantasy games for Nintendo as they used to, it is kind of the same with the Metal Gear games, the original Metal Gear games where for Nintendo but now they have grown away, but that didn't stop Snake from getting in Brawl, and yes I know Snake's creator is best friends with Sakurai, but Sakurai also has the same last name as the guy who voiced Cloud In FF7 advent children

Gune

Smash Lord
Ok, sorry, the way I read your post you sounded like you came off mean
Sorry about that

Also, the issue with Square-Enix not making as much Final Fantasy games for Nintendo as they used to, it is kind of the same with the Metal Gear games, the original Metal Gear games where for Nintendo but now they have grown away, but that didn't stop Snake from getting in Brawl, and yes I know Snake's creator is best friends with Sakurai, but Sakurai also has the same last name as the guy who voiced Cloud In FF7 advent children
Uh...? Does the voice actor own square enix or is he atleast friends with sakurai and is the creator of cloud? If not then its a totally different situation.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Okay, I was bored, so I picked out characters for assist trophies, including 40 characters. Some returning characters include Andross (Now N64 Andross), Excitebiker, Metroid and Barbara.

Super Mario Bros: Chain Chomp, Dimentio, Professor E.Gadd, Nabbit.
Donkey Kong Country: Tiki Tong, Rambi
The Legend of Zelda: Impa, Midna, Majora's Mask
Yoshi's Island: Kamek
Kirby: Magolor, Daroach
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Mother: Masked Man/Claus
Kid Icarus: Magnus
Fire Emblem: Tharja
Warioware: Ashley
Punch-Out: King Hippo, Doc Louis.
Animal Crossing: Isabelle, K.K. Slider/Totakeke
Pikmin: Emperor Bulbax
Classic: Balloon Fighter, Dog and Ducks, Donbe & Hikari, Diskun
Miscellaneous: Captain Rainbow, Isa, Mr. AR, Lip, Tempo, Monita
Third Party: Raiden, Metal Sonic, Protoman
Smash Originals: Fighting Alloy Team

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Okay, I was bored, so I picked out characters for assist trophies, including 40 characters. Some returning characters include Andross (Now N64 Andross), Excitebiker, Metroid and Barbara.

Super Mario Bros: Chain Chomp, Dimentio, Professor E.Gadd, Nabbit.
Donkey Kong Country: Tiki Tong, Rambi
The Legend of Zelda: Impa, Midna, Majora's Mask
Yoshi's Island: Kamek
Kirby: Magolor, Daroach
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Mother: Masked Man/Claus
Kid Icarus: Magnus
Fire Emblem: Tharja
Warioware: Ashley
Punch-Out: King Hippo, Doc Louis.
Animal Crossing: Isabelle, K.K. Slider/Totakeke
Pikmin: Emperor Bulbax
Classic: Balloon Fighter, Dog and Ducks, Donbe & Hikari, Diskun
Miscellaneous: Captain Rainbow, Isa, Mr. AR, Lip, Tempo, Monita
Third Party: Raiden, Metal Sonic, Protoman
Smash Originals: Fighting Alloy Team
I love the idea of an Emperor Bulblax Assist Trophy, same goes for Midna.

And Isabelle, she'd probably be similar to Mr. Resetti in some way. Those are three that I hope for and support.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I love the idea of an Emperor Bulblax Assist Trophy, same goes for Midna.

And Isabelle, she'd probably be similar to Mr. Resetti in some way. Those are three that I hope for and support.
I imagine the Isabelle trophy to work like so...

Isabelle is summoned and follows you around for a while, and by tapping the B button, you'll be able to let her set up and plan the construction of an item, that will fall out of the sky and crush anything underneath it, which can either knock them into the ground or off the screen, depending on the item constructed. I think it would be a chance Assist trophy, having the chance to drop either a yellow bench, a fountain or, on a rare occasion, Brewster's coffee shop.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'd like Giygas as an Assist Trophy.
Even as a stage maybe.
Maybe even a boss.
Just add Giygas somewhere.
That would make me h....a.....p......p....y...

Attachments

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
About Toon Link, didn't Sakurai say he hasn't planned any character cuts yet? Wouldn't that mean he hasn't cut Toon Link, at least not yet?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So, after some excellent sushi, I'm back. And oh mylanta! Amazing sushi! Best I ever had!

Anyway, what are we all talking about? More about Sheik?

Gune

Smash Lord
About Toon Link, didn't Sakurai say he hasn't planned any character cuts yet? Wouldn't that mean he hasn't cut Toon Link, at least not yet?
Well we had a dispute about this a while back some thought he was talking about brawls roster other thought he was talking about the initial roster he has in mind I personally think he was talking about brawls roster or else he would not have said anything about people being cut so yeah toon link still has a chance but his priority might get him cut.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A few assist trophies I would like:
Cosmic Mario
Cranky Kong
Groose
Ridley :troll:. With all seriously though, I guess Kraid or something.
Magalor probably. Lots of good Kirby ideas.
Andross returns
Magnus
Kamek
Jimmy T.
There are many more, these just kind of came from the top of my head.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
A few assist trophies I would like:
Cosmic Mario
Cranky Kong
Groose
Ridley :troll:. With all seriously though, I guess Kraid or something.
Magalor probably. Lots of good Kirby ideas.
Andross returns
Magnus
Kamek
Jimmy T.
There are many more, these just kind of came from the top of my head.
Yes. I want Groose in the game in some way, shape, or form. Maybe if we had a Sealed Temple or a Sealed Grounds stage he could appear as a stage hazard.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Cosmic Mario would be a fun Assist Trophy in the sense that it DOESN'T assist.
Instead it will follow you around doing more harm than good. One of my favorite AT ideas.
Or you know, just follow your opponent.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
View attachment 2574

Go to your profile, go to Preferences. In the middle there is a section called Custom Post Text Color. Input the color you desire and click save. That allows you to post without inputting the color font code manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom