• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, any character has the potential for variety. ANY character can have a unique move-set. It is all up to the discretion of Sakurai. Sora Ltd. made a good move-set for Fox and Captain Falcon with almost nothing to work with. On the other hand, he made Toon Link as generic as possible with everything to work with. So it doesn't really matter which character is up for speculation. Every character can be fun and unique. Any character can accidentally be made boring despite lots of move-set potential, Luigi is a good example.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And yet to the adults who can afford to buy the game without needing their parents to give them allowances remembered those characters. :awesome:
Which makes up how many? It's still a very small minority of the casual market, which is assuming that they aren't Hardcore and thus make up that crowd.

The fact of the matter is, most people who make up Smash's buyers probably don't know who IC, ROB or Pit are before their Smash debuts.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, I guess my main barrier with the character Isaac is how incredibly straight forward he is in many ways, which is a bit of a discouragement because it kind of signifies that what could come out of the character will not be utilized to the fullest. As far as I can tell, he's going to have standard sword play as his standard attacks and have those psynergy capabilities as his specials. That's not really interesting, if he wasn't portrayed as so generic I could see more put into him, but right now it's basically standard stuff. I blame actually playing Golden Sun.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, yes...! Diskun has so much more potential than King K. Rool will ever have. :awesome:
Is putting you on ignore going to become necessary? You're being really childish today. You're only goal today is to rant on Diskun and he has more potential than a lot of characters (like Duck Hunt Dog)

Reznor

work in progress
so if Little Mac gets in do you think he will need to be unlocked or not
here is a funny pic for fun

dio vs Mac.png

Morbi

Scavenger
...I came from gamefaqs...:urg:
He is obviously biased. Don't mind him, some of the people here are MUCH worse. It is all irrelevant. There will always be competent members and there will always be moronic members. This applies to almost everything. It is a case of ethnocentrism.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Is putting you on ignore going to become necessary? You're being really childish today. You're only goal today is to rant on Diskun and he has more potential than a lot of characters (like Duck Hunt Dog)
You lost your credibility not because you said Diskun has a lot of potential but because you said King K. Rool has little potential AFTER saying Diskun has a lot of potential... :rolleyes:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Anyway, I guess my main barrier with the character Isaac is how incredibly straight forward he is in many ways, which is a bit of a discouragement because it kind of signifies that what could come out of the character will not be utilized to the fullest. As far as I can tell, he's going to have standard sword play as his standard attacks and have those psynergy capabilities as his specials.

There's nothing to say that utilizing Psynergy into his standards won't work, in fact it would be more characteristic for Isaac to incorporate much of his Psynergy beyond Specials. His attacks can easily range from raising stalks of bamboo from the ground, summoning nettle and thorns, creating earthquakes and tremors, unleashing vertical beams of earthen energy from the ground, creating rocks and spires above the enemies, etc. etc. This doesn't even account for the various Field Psynergy Isaac has at his disposal either.

Edit:
Proposed yet incomplete moveset I made a while back, while it might not convince anyone of Isaac's potential playstyle it might give some people a rough idea of what Isaac could play like.

B: Summon Djinn. Isaac charges up and readies a Djinn to unleash and can only unleash one at a time. He will rotate through several Djinn he has encountered throughout the series such as Echo, Ground, Iron, and Bane. The time it takes to fully charge a Djinn will be roughly equivalent to fully charging Samus/ DK's neutral B.

Summon Echo: Isaac leaps towards an enemy and performs a powerful double-attack with the first strike locking the opponent into hit-stun with minimal knockback and the second strike to deal strong damage with knockback.

Summon Mud: Isaac summons Ground in a small area in front of him to hold foes under gravity. The longer he charged this Djinn the faster the foes will be bound under gravity (Being stunned as a result). Foes caught in the radius of the area will be slowed and have their jumping abilities slightly impeded but are still able to get out if they can respond fast enough/ depending on the duration of the charge. Being bound under gravity will deal some amount of damage.

Summon Iron: Isaac is granted iron-clad defenses from the Djinn and for a short duration (Dependent on how long he charged this Djinn). The damage and knockback he takes will be reduced by 10-15% (Numbers can be adjusted depending on how OP/UP these theoretical numbers are) with a minimal decrease of 1% damage. Isaac will flash faintly to indicate that Iron is still protecting him.

Summon Bane: Isaac strikes an opponent and deals Poison status to him/her. The duration of the poison effect will depend on the duration of charge and will deal 4% per second for up to 5 seconds. If the opponent picks up a healing item the poison damage is immediately negated.

B:^ Retreat. Isaac will teleport to a target area, at the end of his teleport if he lands near an opponent he will swing his sword to strike out at the opponent.

B>: Move. Isaac will summon a giant hand to move his opponent/items in a given direction. It will deal no damage but the hand serves as a wall and can be wall-jumped off of as well as being able to block projectiles such as shells and can even push away activated Bom-ombs.

Bv: Sand. Isaac dissipates into Sand becoming untargetable for a short duration, he can activate the ability again or wait till the duration is over before leaping from the ground and striking the enemy with his sword in an upward motion. While Isaac moves about while in Sand he can slow everyone down by drawing them toward the center. This way it'll be easier for him to land a hit. If used in the air Isaac turns into a pile of sand and drops straight down. However, the duration of Sand will become shorter the longer he remains suspended in the air.

Final Smash: Megiddo. Isaac leaps high into the air with the Sol Blade in hand and crashes down with a giant meteor dealing massive damage to everyone caught in the impact radius.

Smash Attacks:
Smash Down: Quake/Earthquake/Quake Sphere. Isaac raises pillars of earth from beneath him to damage the foe. He will summon several pillars of earth in a shockwave/ wave like manner in both directions.

Smash Forward: Gaia/ Mother Gaia/ Grand Gaia. Isaac utilizes the Gaia psynergy line and raises mighty earthen energy in a column in front of him.

Smash Up: Growth/ Mad Growth/ Wild Growth. Isaac summons a flurry of thorny vines and sends them in an upwards direction.

Grabs:
Grabs: Catch. Isaac utilize the Catch psynergy and performs a medium-long range grab and throws the enemy in a given direction.

Aerials:
Aerial Neutral: Clay Spire. Isaac summons several small stalactites around him that are sent downwards.

Aerial Up: Rockfall. Isaac summons a series of rocks a decent height above him that rain down on the opponent above him.

Aerial Forward: Thorn. Isaac sends out a flurry of thorns from his palm.

Aerial Back: Isaac performs a back kick.

Aerial Down: Helm Splitter. Isaac brandishes his sword and drops down on an opponent.

Crouch:

Crouch Attack: Punji. Isaac summons stalks of short bamboo in a medium distance in front of him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyway, I guess my main barrier with the character Isaac is how incredibly straight forward he is in many ways, which is a bit of a discouragement because it kind of signifies that what could come out of the character will not be utilized to the fullest. As far as I can tell, he's going to have standard sword play as his standard attacks and have those psynergy capabilities as his specials. That's not really interesting, if he wasn't portrayed as so generic I could see more put into him, but right now it's basically standard stuff. I blame actually playing Golden Sun.
What's wrong with that? Since when has being generic personality-wise mattered? We have Link, we have Pokemon Trainer, we have tons of silent protagonists. Doesn't mean his moveset would be bland. We don't really have a magic/swordplay user yet, and even if we did your argument just sounds like the anti-sword-wielder one. But those arguments, while not entirely logical, as sword users can play completely differently from each other, at least raise the point of the same overall weapon. You're saying he'd have something completely new to Smash, (likely earth-related) psynergy, as well as sword attacks, and yet, that's not interesting?

Sounds pretty subjective to me. Sounds like you just don't care for Isaac, which is fine, but therefore think he wouldn't be an interesting character? He literally offers something not only different from any other character on the roster, but from any other potential candidate not from GS, as well as one of the potentially flashiest movesets, what about that isn't interesting? It's not like he would have a moveset as limited as Sonic or DK, or one revolving around a single weapon, like Marth or something.

Really, the same could be said for any character. I find Takamaru not really interesting, he's portrayed as quite generic, and as far as I can tell he's going to have standard sword play as his standard attacks and those ninja capabilities as his specials. I blame actually playing Nazo no Murasamejo. :rolleyes:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You lost your credibility not because you said Diskun has a lot of potential but because you said King K. Rool has little potential AFTER saying Diskun has a lot of potential... :rolleyes:
You lost your credibility when you are STILL bringing up childish bickering from a conversation you can't accept is over. :rolleyes: I said King K. Rool doesn't have as much potential as described and never said it was lower than Diskun nor did I say King K. Rool had "little" potential.

If you hate Diskun, great. That's your own opinion. Stop shoving your opinions down people's throats and stop trying to start ****, I usually don't like to put people on ignore, but you are clearly begging for it!

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So... what do you guys think about a second Yoshi rep? Shy Guy?
If I can choose any character, I would like the Stork, he/she would use Baby Mario/Peach/DK/Wario/Bowser abilities like Yoshi does in Yoshi's Island DS =3

Like many people, howewer, I think that Kamek is the most likely one if we were to get a new Yoshi rep.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
You lost your credibility when you are STILL bringing up childish bickering from a conversation you can't accept is over. I said King K. Rool doesn't have as much potential as described and never said it was lower than Diskun nor did I say King K. Rool had "little" potential.

If you hate Diskun, great. That's your own opinion. Stop shoving your opinions down people's throats and stop trying to start ****, I usually don't like to put people on ignore, but you are clearly begging for it!
I like both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom