• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ridley has a lot of support in the Smash community (and Metroid community) but thats it casuals don't care about him and they outnumber us
I love Ridley and hope he gets in but he won't make as much hype as some one like Ghirahim or Toad because casuals know who they are
I definitely could believe Toad since he's a Mario character but Ghirahim would not get that much hype. He's a one-shot character from a game that didn't sell well in Japan.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We should discuss more Professor Layton.
I could see Professor Layton really likely, and this could be his last chance considering he doesn't star in Layton 7.
But whenever I make a roster, people rather would have Snake back than Layton. At the same time Pac-Man is really likely to get in, so everyone ends up with Pac-Man, Sonic, Megaman, and Snake. I would add Layton as the 5th 3rd party, but 5 3rd parties is too much.
That's why I replace Snake with Layton.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
considering that most people don't know who Ridley is I would say its possible
I hardly doubt there's that many people that doesn't know about him. Besides, maybe those who don't would go like:
"Hey, you know that Smash Bros game that's coming out?"
"Yeah? What about it?"
"Well, yeah, it's got this FREAKING AWESOME SPACE DRAGON IN IT!"
"A SPACE DRAGON!? HOLY ****, THAT'S AWESOME"

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ridley has a lot of support in the Smash community (and Metroid community) but thats it casuals don't care about him and they outnumber us
I love Ridley and hope he gets in but he won't make as much hype as some one like Ghirahim or Toad because casuals know who they are
In all honesty...screw the casuals...the casuals are the ones asking for Goku and Steve from Minecraft, I don't think their wants/interests should ever be taken into consideration.

Reznor

work in progress
What's your source for that? Since when was Ridley not well known?
talking to people or just browsing facebook he isn't that well known neither are Metroid games sadly

No, Ridley can easily create bigger hype then either of them. Ridley is a very cinematic friendly character for starters due to his design, an evil space dragon has a lot of appeal in itself and create a lot of really awesome moments. That alone can entice people to want to try out Ridley.
ya he could probably create hype based on his looks but the point i'm trying to make is what would be hype for us isn't always hype for casuals

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
considering that most people don't know who Ridley is I would say its possible
Ghirahim is hardly-well known by the public and is only supported by a vocal minority. Ridley on the other hand is extremely well-known and supported by a HUGE amount of people.

Reznor

work in progress
In all honesty...screw the casuals...the casuals are the ones asking for Goku and Steve from Minecraft, I don't think their wants/interests should ever be taken into consideration.
they outnumber us and will give Nintendo more money then we ever could it sucks but thats the way things are

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
King K.Rool maybe be popular with us but with kids/casuals he is pretty much non existent same with Ridley they will not bring hype to a majority of people
Waddle Dee is requested more than Ridley and K.Rool in Japan he can get people interested
So I suppose you think every other newcomer added to Melee and Brawl was well-known by the "casual audience," and thus hype-worthy (because the two are totally correlated)?

Also, you must have misread Chrono's multiple analyses of Japanese forums and their most wanted characters.

In reality, outside of Kirby fans, Waddle Dee is only ever brought up as a token allegedly underrated, ostensibly likeable character on the forums. His supporters are well aware his chances aren't great, hence them always calling him a dark horse.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We should discuss more Professor Layton.
I could see Professor Layton really likely, and this could be his last chance considering he doesn't star in Layton 7.
But whenever I make a roster, people rather would have Snake back than Layton. At the same time Pac-Man is really likely to get in, so everyone ends up with Pac-Man, Sonic, Megaman, and Snake. I would add Layton as the 5th 3rd party, but 5 3rd parties is too much.
That's why I replace Snake with Layton.
The thing is, I strictly follow the belief that a third party character has to be a big deal. In Brawl, Snake was huge, being the rep for Konami, the mascot of it really. An important video game icon. Sonic was the biggest thing that has ever happened in the history of Smash, and Megaman was also huge. These three are characters that are known as video game mascots and legends. It's not a written rule, but I can see Sakurai going with that belief, that we should only have important third party characters that are known to be extremely important to their franchise. Pacman seems to be the most plausible choice.

Reaction to Dr. Mario returning? Also, why not?
I'd be perfectly fine if the Dr. came back. I like him better than Mario, actually. Mario seems very generic and boring (don't hurt me), so having a twist in Melee was great. There was something in the Dr. that made me want to play him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So I suppose you think every other newcomer added to Melee and Brawl was well-known by the "casual audience," and thus hype-worthy (because the two are totally correlated)?
You kidding? The likes of Roy and Lucas are household names, I mean CLEARLY everyone knowing those guys because otherwise they would of never got into Super Smash Bros.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I'm pretty certain, from a purely marketing stand-point... that an aggressively-volatile, purple-colored, flying space-dragon would appeal more aesthetically to non-expert casuals... than a temperamental, fashionably-dressed demon or a humanoid mushroom.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
talking to people or just browsing facebook he isn't that well known neither are Metroid games sadly

ya he could probably create hype based on his looks but the point i'm trying to make is what would be hype for us isn't always hype for casuals
How many did you talk to?

Ridley would easily appeal to casuals, much more than Ghirahim. And fire breathing power house of a dragon could easily create more hype than another character using a sword and a bit of magic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thing is, I strictly follow the belief that a third party character has to be a big deal. In Brawl, Snake was huge, being the rep for Konami, the mascot of it really. An important video game icon. Sonic was the biggest thing that has ever happened in the history of Smash, and Megaman was also huge. These three are characters that are known as video game mascots and legends. It's not a written rule, but I can see Sakurai going with that belief, that we should only have important third party characters that are known to be extremely important to their franchise. Pacman seems to be the most plausible choice.
You could say Professor Layton was huge also, and being the rep and mascot for Level 5.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'm pretty certain, from a purely marketing stand-point... that an aggressively-volatile, purple-colored, flying space-dragon would appeal more aesthetically to non-expert casuals... than a temperamental, fashionably-dressed demon or a humanoid mushroom.
Not really, they'd follow the blind hate of others and say he's a waste of space while knowing nothing about the character they're bashing. These people are some of the stupidest creatures on the face of this planet, they're never happy with anything they get.

courte

Smash Lord
Ghirahim is hardly-well known by the public and is only supported by a vocal minority. Ridley on the other hand is extremely well-known and supported by a HUGE amount of people.

I think the main case for Ghirahim is for something new. If I wanted to play the same Ganon, i'd play Brawl or Melee, since Card Sagas Wars may very well never happen. He may be annoying to look at, but it's refreshing also HE BROUGHT HIS DAMN SWORD! I say this of course, having never played Skyward sword, so please feel free to ignore all of my ramblings. Ganon's been in twice and each time as a clone, granted a bit more as himself in brawl, but that time he brought his sword and did but all.

Personally, I was irked by why that bad ass looking general was moving around in such a way. He seemed to be a middle aged man with delusions of grandeur, hallucinating that he was some type of awesome f-zero piloting space bounty hunter. He looked the part of an experienced swordsman or mage, not your weird neighbor who's divorced and takes karate lessons. Have I mentioned I like new things?

And for the record, I'd vote for Ridley ten times over Ghirahim any day of the week. Now I gotta go get a copy of TP and WW on GC, SS on Wii, and none of those before Ni no Kuni

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
That was still not where he originated. And, as someone else pointed out, even Lucario was technically revealed in a movie before any game appearances.

As he is an accessory for a video game system, I will give you that he is more related to video games than Daitoryo. However, being the first product of Nintendo itself, and the reason for its existence could very well give him special treatment like R.O.B. got, only to a lesser extent.Also, if you care about MUH RELEVANCY, then you should know that Nintendo still produces Daitoryo decks today.

I will admit that he is unlikely, and that he will likely never appear in a Smash game, but I will not say that he is impossible, as he is the single most fitting character to be used for history like R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch before him.

Bishop to D5, Knight taken, although the advantage is likely still to you..
I do agree with you that he would be the best historical character.
And that he is not likely.
Queen to D5, it is somehow a draw, game set

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Let us not forget that, if we're specifically targeting Ridley as unknown to casuals and thus inherently not hype-worthy, the guy was two bosses in Brawl. Still want to act as though he's some obscure nonentity?

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Reaction to Dr. Mario returning? Also, why not?

As was said earlier by other members of this thread... if a low-priority Melee-veteran such as Dr. Mario or especially Pichu were to return, then inevitably so would high-profile characters Mewtwo and Roy, and perhaps even all the Brawl-veterans as well. Dr. Mario's announcement should alone instill anticipation and excitement, if it were ever to happen (which it will not).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You could say Professor Layton was huge also, and being the rep and mascot for Level 5.
Well, most people know who the likes of Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, and to a lesser extent Snake are. I view Snake as understandable, but he did get in based on request from the director. But he's still very important in video-gaming.

Neither Professor Layton nor Level-5 are big franchises. When one thinks of the big video game franchises, there's Square Enix, Nintendo, SEGA, etc. Level-5 would not normally come to mind.

Reznor

work in progress

Also, you must have misread Chrono's multiple analyses of Japanese forums and their most wanted characters.

In reality, outside of Kirby fans, Waddle Dee is only ever brought up as a token allegedly underrated, ostensibly likeable character on the forums. His supporters are well aware his chances aren't great, hence them always calling him a dark horse.
unless they are part of nintendo's history yes they are popular with casuals
You kidding? The likes of Roy and Lucas are household names, I mean CLEARLY everyone knowing those guys because otherwise they would of never got into Super Smash Bros.
in Japan probably

And Smash has never completely catered to their wants, otherwise we wouldn't have characters like Wolf, IC, ROB, or hell, any Fire Emblem character.
we have Sonic because because they catered to their wants
How many did you talk to?

Ridley would easily appeal to casuals, much more than Ghirahim. And fire breathing power house of a dragon could easily create more hype than another character using a sword and a bit of magic.
I already posted Ridley is an example the example failed because he looks cool enough for casuals to like

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The "casuals" are the people that made the wii a success, and the people nintendo needs to buy the WiiU

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Prof. Layton will get barely any hype, where as the hype for Snake will be ENORMOUS
Not enormous. While every reveal gets mixed feelings from people, the Smash community and Metal Gear fans will be ecstatic. It will not be as big as when Megaman or even Sonic was announced for this game, but it will still be pretty big.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
we have Sonic because because they catered to their wants
Oh come now, do you really think only casuals wanted him?

Let us not forget that, if we're specifically targeting Ridley as unknown to casuals and thus inherently not hype-worthy, the guy was two bosses in Brawl. Still want to act as though he's some obscure nonentity?
Exactly, so he's not even that unknown among casuals.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
King K.Rool maybe be popular with us but with kids/casuals he is pretty much non existent same with Ridley they will not bring hype to a majority of people
K. Rool is known of by most console SNES-era gamers, which is a lot of gamers.
Waddle Dee is requested more than Ridley and K.Rool in Japan he can get people interested
Bullcrap.

Even in Japan K. Rool and Ridley are way more popular, and we've got polls to prove you and your out of your butt opinions wrong.

Also, again, K. Rool is way more well known. He's freaking the main villain of a several multi-million copy selling hits.

Also, Japan doesn't mean crap. They're made 15% of the sales of Brawl. Europe is more important than Japan, and unlike Japan, Europe's market share will only get bigger.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Professor Layton is a popular series, being the most successful Nintendo DS series with over 15 million copies. I'm pretty sure lots of people who bought one of the series will be hyped for Layton being in Smash, except for you. :smirk:
Actually, wasn't the most successful DS series Brain Age? I don't think Professor Layton doesn't hold its ground with something like Brain Age, or Nintendog too.

This isn't a reason to add them to the roster, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom