• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Not really, they'd follow the blind hate of others and say he's a waste of space while knowing nothing about the character they're bashing. These people are some of the stupidest creatures on the face of this planet, they're never happy with anything they get.

If you're a casual gamer who occasionally purchases and plays Nintendo products, and with hardly any empirical knowledge of it's illustrious history, and only having familiarity with iconic legends such as Mario and Link... and if said casual player observes the theoretical cover of Super Smash Brothers: Wii U/3DS, and lo-and-behold they bear witness to Ridley on the cover... they will more-than-likely be tempted by such a breathtaking image, and may perhaps place the game within their wishlists. There is quite an undeniable marketability factor with Ridley.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You should realize by now that Sakurai doesn't care for the desire of said "Casuals" and listens rather to the people that continuously play his games and know what they're talking about.
You guys should also realize this "casual" Wii crowd isn't buying the Wii U, and that generally they don't play smash.

The Wii Fit Trainer and the Miis being playable will be all that they get in terms of newcomers (and I guess kinda sorta the Villager).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You should realize by now that Sakurai doesn't care for the desire of said "Casuals" and listens rather to the people that continuously play his games and know what they're talking about.
Not trying to disagree with you, but is there any evidence for that? Or is it just an implied thought, which I can get behind?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
no they probably aren't the only ones that wanted him but their numbers most likely effected it

guys I have already said 2 times already I mixed up K.Rool with another character why do i have to repeat this :(
The casuals asking for "alucard and goku" and "bit trip runner and minecraft man" won't have an effect on roster choices at all, the much more vocal fans will.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This. Notice how the vast majority of Smash newcomers are ones with sizable online fanbases and ones that us as a community predict with decent accuracy?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
no they probably aren't the only ones that wanted him but their numbers most likely effected it
Sonic was a highly wanted character in general, it can't be completely contributed to the casuals because a good majority of people wanted him regardless of being casual or hardcore.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh, and in Toad's case, there is no way that he could create as much hype as Ridley. Toad's roles in the Mario series have been supporting, and has rarely been the main character. And very few casuals would want to play as Princess Peach's human shield.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Besides, it's not even a crime that we got lesser known characters thrown into Super Smash Bros. We've gotten the likes of Ness and Marth, but you don't exactly see Armageddon happening because not everyone knows about them. On the contrary, Super Smash Bros. makes those characters far more well known, probably the poster child of that factor being Captain Falcon.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The casuals asking for "alucard and goku" and "bit trip runner and minecraft man" won't have an effect on roster choices at all, the much more vocal fans will.
Honestly, the fans don't have an effect at all really. The only characters that were in for fan demand where sonic and too an extent mega man. Everyone else was just a choice people predicted an also liked

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Actually, wasn't the most successful DS series Brain Age? I don't think Professor Layton doesn't hold its ground with something like Brain Age, or Nintendog too.

This isn't a reason to add them to the roster, though.
Man I gotta add "one of the most" of my sentences. According to Wiki, Brain Age has received commercial and critical success, receiving multiple awards.
So yeah Brain Age is definitely popular like Professor Layton to warrant a character.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You guys should also realize this "casual" Wii crowd isn't buying the Wii U, and that generally they don't play smash.

The Wii Fit Trainer and the Miis being playable will be all that they get in terms of newcomers (and I guess kinda sorta the Villager).
Naw, while Animal Crossing does have a generally casual audience, one can say that about Mario. But Animal Crossing is a HUGE Nintendo franchise, so it deserves to be in there not as a casual gaming icon, but just as a gaming icon.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Man I gotta add "one of the most" of my sentences. According to Wiki, Brain Age has received commercial and critical success, receiving multiple awards.
So yeah Brain Age is definitely popular like Professor Layton to warrant a character.
Okay, then you have valid points, he is from a successful series.

But I just don't believe he's reached that level of importance the same way characters like Pac-Man or Megaman have. Although, next to the four we have now, it's basically him, maybe Rayman, and a Square Enix rep that are generally important to video gaming. I just find it a little unnecessary though.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
People seem to have forgotten that Smash is supposed to showcase Nintendo's history, seriously how many of you would be well aware of Fire Emblem, Mother, and Game & Watch before/without Smash?

Characters not being well known by the "casuals" means nothing, we wouldn't have Ness, Lucas, Marth, Roy, Ike, Mr G&W, ROB, Ice Climbers, and Pit if that were the case.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Professor Layton himself probably won't star on future Layton titles, so that's why I think his chance to be in Smash is now. Sakurai can pick any third party, so I think Sakurai does have a "special case" with Professor Layton.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For starters, we already have a dog with a gun. The frisbee isn't really part of Duck Hunt, however Diskun can throw Disks which are part of the Disk System. Flying with Ducks is pretty similar to other moves, and since Duck Hunt Dog is a Famicom game and so many Famicom games transition to the Disk System I see no reason for him not to replicate something from a normal Famicom game.
Diskun confirmed as Duck Hunt Dog clone then. :rolleyes:

And the frisbees were actually in Duck Hunt. The NES game has a Clay Shooting mode where you shoot frisbees.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People seem to have forgotten that Smash is supposed to showcase Nintendo's history, seriously how many of you would be well aware of Fire Emblem, Mother, and Game & Watch before/without Smash?

Characters not being well known by the "casuals" means nothing, we wouldn't have Ness, Lucas, Marth, Roy, Ike, Mr G&W, ROB, Ice Climbers, and Pit if that were the case.
But they're not relevant! Casuals don't know them and you can't use them to promote anything, so they have no value whatsoever as characters. Or, if you put them in instead of relevant characters, you'll hurt the feelings of the people who worked to design the relevant characters. :(

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Speaking of barely known retros, what do you guys think of Lip? :p
I don't think much of her, or know much about her, really. I don't think she needs to be playable, and there are many more retros I support over her, but I wouldn't be mad if she got in.

Reznor

work in progress

casuals love smash but not the WiiU most casuals I know still think its some kind of Wii add on even when I tell them its a new system they don't care and play their Wii
Sonic was a highly wanted character in general, it can't be completely contributed to the casuals because a good majority of people wanted him regardless of being casual or hardcore.
he was a highly requested character not saying he wasn't just saying that a lot of casuals also wanted him
Besides, it's not even a crime that we got lesser known characters thrown into Super Smash Bros. We've gotten the likes of Ness and Marth, but you don't exactly see Armageddon happening because not everyone knows about them. On the contrary, Super Smash Bros. makes those characters far more well known, probably the poster child of that factor being Captain Falcon.
never said having lesser known characters is bad this whole argument starter with some one saying Waddle Dee isn't good enough for smash because he can't create hype where I have argued that what is hype for casuals is different then what is hype for us
Ridley was a bad example because he can be hype for every one
Captain Falcon was popular when he got into smash or at least I think he was gonna google this ............. yes his game sold almost as well as Kirby 64

Earthbound and FE are popular in Japan before Smash the rest were popular for when they came out

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

Exactly, even though many of the characters aren't known to casual players they can all easily appeal to them and show them a side of Nintendo they might not have considered. Heck, Smash is what got me into the Mother, Star Fox, F-Zero, and Fire Emblem series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's enough effort Sakurai can make to make DHD different. Pretty much every character can be different, just don't be lazy about it.
Noah said we already have a dog with a gun in Smash! Is he implying that Duck Hunt Dog would be a clone of Fox or Wolf? If so, then Duck Hunt Dog confirmed for top tier!!!!

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I seriously can't believe we're judging characters based off the amount of hype they can generate. How hyped were you guys when Pit, a character practically no one has heard of before Brawl, was revealed?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Noah said we already have a dog with a gun in Smash! Is he implying that Duck Hunt Dog would be a clone of Fox or Wolf? If so, then Duck Hunt Dog confirmed for top tier!!!!

I'm implying that Duck Hunt Dog has many moves taken by other characters and his status fits more of an Assist Trophy. He's just not impressive and imo silly

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I seriously can't believe we're judging characters based off the amount of hype they can generate. How hyped were you guys when Pit, a character practically no one has heard of before Brawl, was revealed?
I was very hyped for Pit when I saw him. I knew him as Kid Icarus from the Captain N cartoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom