• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
in the end the Kanto trainer is just the best representation for a trainer u could have. he's got easily the most well received and likeable starters as of yet, hell he's got Charizard so thats kind of game over really. and i personally dont find it that necesary for gen 5 to have a character in Smash at all now that gen 6 is just around the corner, not that gen repping really matters. maybe a stage like Ns castle or something and a vast amount of pokeball pokemon would be best case scenario for that gen.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Speaking of pokeballs, im hoping the pokemon in them have better character models than the recycled pokemon stadium ones from be before. It would be awesome if they could manage to use the ones from pokedex 3D pro, they were excellent, but i doubt they are structured to work right in this game without a bit of work.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Out of N's available Pokemon in his final battle, I can really see those three as being the choices. I don't think having ice cream fight would be well received.

Maybe N can't work. Sure there could be others to consider such as the Trainers from other regions or an Elite Four member. Pokemon Trainer (Red) works because his three are recognizable and have popularity with Pokemon fans in general.
I always imagined N Harmonia playing like a mix of the Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer Red.

N would have Reshiram, Zekrom, and Zoroark. (just in case Zoroark doesn't become its own character)

You'd control the Pokemon, while N would fight alongside you as a CPU character and use weak punches and kicks, and sometimes heal you. (maybe N would find healing items on the stage and throw them at you?)
Down B would make the current Pokemon fly or zoom off-stage for the next Pokemon to arrive.

Even if N doesn't appear as a character though, I'd really love to see N's Castle as a stage.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Any more comments on my roster guys? Not that it matters that bad, considering it will start to be revealed starting tomorrow.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of pokeballs, im hoping the pokemon in them have better character models than the recycled pokemon stadium ones from be before. It would be awesome if they could manage to use the ones from pokedex 3D pro, they were excellent, but i doubt they are structured to work right in this game without a bit of work.
There's also the PokePark models, but not all of the Pokemon are covered in the two games.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Nice to see u agree, I just can't figure out what Zelda character will make it in.

Toon Zelda has the best odds, for my money.

Any more comments on my roster guys? Not that it matters that bad, considering it will start to be revealed starting tomorrow.

It's a very reasonable roster. No choice made me think "no way, they could never be in".

I pick Sheriff because he is one of the most classic characters Nintendo can go with, fitting in with the Historical/WTF side with Mr. Game & Watch and ROB.

Mr. Game & Watch represents Nintendo's first handheld/s. ROB represents a very popular accessory (one that helped Nintendo become big in America/save gaming in America too). Sheriff represents one of, if not the, oldest Nintendo game character (repping the arcade as well).

It always seems like two retros are picked and based off the past (no particular pattern or anything) one always seems to not be related to their home consoles games. So maybe the arcade is the next step. No guarantees, but something that could happen.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
For quite possibly the final time.

Here is my roster, with DLC choices at the bottom.

I will be going to bed, but I will answer any questions later tomorrow.
Easily one of my favorites left. Only thing I feel is it's a bit too safe, but other then that, I really like it. I guess if Paper Mario has his partners it's not all that safe.

Regardless if Gen 5 gets a character or not, I bascially see them taking the Pokemon Boss Battle

With N at the top of his castle

Sakurai pulling a Gen 3, like Rayquaza

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Love it. But, I don't think Dillon is gonna be a playable character, I still find it weird to have 4 FE reps, but no female ones seeing as a lot of them are wanted and really cool. And Even though they have some different moves I still protest to having Mewtwo AND Lucario.

Everything else is great, but you should switch Paper Mario to DLC and have Bowser Jr. already available.

9/10

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really am not confident that Bowser Jr. would be included. I know he's a big character within the franchise, but he doesn't feel like a must-have character for Mario, which means he falls short of a major bar for inclusion in Smash. Paper Mario would be more of a must-have than Bowser Jr. in my estimation, but even he isn't really a character that screams out for inclusion. With Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Wario, Mario and Mario-related franchises are pretty well covered.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
N with Zoroark, Carracosta, and Archeops should replace Pokemon Trainer. Represents an important villain in B/W + B2/W2 and stops all those in the Zoroark camp from *****ing that he doesn't get in place over Mewtwo.
Why would you replace 3 poke'mon characters with 1. Not to mention he is the main character and probably the best Pok'emon/Smash rep idea in the whole series. You can't possibly be serious :crazy:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I agree, although I really think any if the Mario Big 3 (Toad, PM, Junior) should really get at least a chance.

It'd be a shame not to see some unexplored aspects of the Mario series get some character inclusion.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I agree, although I really think any if the Mario Big 3 (Toad, PM, Junior) should really get at least a chance.

It'd be a shame not to see some unexplored aspects of the Mario series get some character inclusion.
While I know this has been discussed to death, Peach having Toad as a move for two games now pretty much kills him for inclusion in my eyes. Not because they can't change the move, but because it speaks volumes for how Sakurai sees Toad; he isn't an independent character, but rather Peach's servant.

If they want to explore some other aspects of the Mario series, I'd rather see a character besides PM, Toad, and Junior. Toad is a bit on the bland side and PM & Jr. are both just variants of existing characters. Give us somebody completely unique instead.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I pick Sheriff because he is one of the most classic characters Nintendo can go with, fitting in with the Historical/WTF side with Mr. Game & Watch and ROB.

Mr. Game & Watch represents Nintendo's first handheld/s. ROB represents a very popular accessory (one that helped Nintendo become big in America/save gaming in America too). Sheriff represents one of, if not the, oldest Nintendo game character (repping the arcade as well).

It always seems like two retros are picked and based off the past (no particular pattern or anything) one always seems to not be related to their home consoles games. So maybe the arcade is the next step. No guarantees, but something that could happen.
He's right, we don't have any Arcade reps.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Kind of random, but does anyone else hope they call pokemon trainer Red this time?

Oh also I want bosses to be more involved with the story mode. So like N would probably be great it would be interesting to see him interact, but I'd also like to the likes of the black knight or the masked man. Characters who could interact with the story yet not be playable characters. Picture the the story arc between the fire emblem characters and the black knight, EPIC. I would also like to see assist trophies somewhat involved with the story.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kind of random, but does anyone else hope they call pokemon trainer Red this time?
Calling Pokemon Trainer "Red" would take away focus from the Pokemon, which are the most important part of the character. Besides, if we get new costumes that use different trainer models, "Red" wouldn't really fit.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Only if the have more than 1 trainer.
...why would they have more than one trainer. I mean in concept it would be cool but that would require three new characters who would likely be not the most popular choices. The only cool trainer there could be if red is included is a team rocket dude which would be sick. But anyway the specific trainers name that they use is Red. That's what all pokemon fans know him as. So why not call him that?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He's never going to be called Red at this point, mostly for the reasons Swampy said. If we do somehow end up getting another trainer as well, chances are he'll now be known as the "Kanto Trainer".

I just hope he has some alt models this time, or at least his original R/B/G appearance.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Calling Pokemon Trainer "Red" would take away focus from the Pokemon, which are the most important part of the character. Besides, if we get new costumes that use different trainer models, "Red" wouldn't really fit.
I guess you are right about the first part. The second part is definetly true lol. It's too bad I would like them to call him red still since that is technically his name.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I still find it weird to have 4 FE reps, but no female ones seeing as a lot of them are wanted and really cool.
Ahem. The FE reps he included are the four most popular choices.

EDIT: On the topic of Pokémon Trainer, I don't expect his name to change.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess you are right about the first part. The second part is definetly true lol. It's too bad I would like them to call him red still since that is technically his name.
I make a name (the kind that float above the character) so that I can still be "Red." :troll:

I think he is saying that fire emblem doesn't deserve 4 reps, which it does. If he would like to debate the fact that fire emblem deserves 4 reps I say to him, COME AT ME BRO.
I agree with you but I'm really curious on your reasoning.

I wanna hear! :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think PT's name should stay the same. Also, I expect him to be a prime candidate for alt costumes/voices. It's characters like PT and potentially K. Rool that make me excited for expanding alt costume potential.

In my eyes, they used Wario as a test since he had the most obvious one. I expect more experimentation on this front!

Youtroid

Smash Cadet
I think PT's name should stay the same. Also, I expect him to be a prime candidate for alt costumes/voices. It's characters like PT and potentially K. Rool that make me excited for expanding alt costume potential.

In my eyes, they used Wario as a test since he had the most obvious one. I expect more experimentation on this front!
I totally agree! I would love for alt. costumes and strongly hope they do them.
I've always imagined that if they did decide to go the DLC route, that they would release a bunch of costumes through it.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord

Great roster, I can tell you worked hard on it. My only real problem is that 16 swordsmen seems like a bit much. Also I'd like to point out that you have Isaac and Shulk on both the original roster and the DLC.

D

Deleted member

...why would they have more than one trainer. I mean in concept it would be cool but that would require three new characters who would likely be not the most popular choices. The only cool trainer there could be if red is included is a team rocket dude which would be sick. But anyway the specific trainers name that they use is Red. That's what all pokemon fans know him as. So why not call him that?
He's talking about using other Trainers (such as Leaf or Blue/Green/Gary/whatever) as an "alternate" appearance for the Trainer.
Like how Wario has his overalls as a costume, though with changed voiceclips to reflect the Trainer. The Pokémon would stay the same.
EDIT: Unless you're not talking about Swamp's idea; hard to tell when there are people set to Ignore, since the new SmashBoards doesn't even show quotes by them like it used to.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He's talking about using other Trainers (such as Leaf or Blue/Green/Gary/whatever) as an "alternate" appearance for the Trainer.
Like how Wario has his overalls as a costume, though with changed voiceclips to reflect the Trainer. The Pokémon would stay the same.
No, I'm talking about having the generation 1 trainer, and then unlocking a generation 2 or X/Y Trainer

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I totally agree! I would love for alt. costumes and strongly hope they do them.
I've always imagined that if they did decide to go the DLC route, that they would release a bunch of costumes through it.

I hope the Tekken influence convinces them to go completely nuts with alt costumes and skins. There's so much great potential there. Why pick between Ocarina, TP, or SS for the Zelda artstyle? Just throw in all of 'em!

D

Deleted member

I hope the Tekken influence convinces them to go completely nuts with alt costumes and skins. There's so much great potential there. Why pick between Ocarina, TP, or SS for the Zelda artstyle? Just throw in all of 'em!
While good for Link and Zelda, what about Ganondorf? He's got the body of a young man in OoT, the body of a stout man in TP, and is top heavy with baby legs in WW.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
While good for Link and Zelda, what about Ganondorf? He's got the body of a young man in OoT, the body of a stout man in TP, and is top heavy with baby legs in WW.
I wish they would put in another Ganondorf character. That way we'd have "Captain Ganon" using dark magic along with a new sword-wielding Ganon. Everyone's happy!

I know Ganondorf has mostly been the same being throughout his appearances, but Melee had both Mario and Dr. Mario, so...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Sit down everyone it's story (rant) time.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a game was released with two mysterious sword bearers. One of these lords had hair of majestic blue while the other had hair of flaming red. These lords, Marth and Roy, became loved by all they came in contact with. But as the ages past more lords began to rise up along with Roy and Marth. One of these lords, a blunt blue-haired mercenerary who always spoke what was on his mind rose up and gained the love of the people, even more so then Marth and Roy. Then came time for a new game to be released, one with more contestants than ever before. The mercenary, Ike, was the first to be let in, and Marth soon followed, being the first in the lineage of lords. But Roy was placed on the back-burner. While his techniques and abilities were finally being discussed though, a strange animal walked in. It was a hedgehog, with majestic blue hair like Marth and Ike's. The game makers fell in love with this pet and made a hard decision, one to cut Roy and another former contestant, mewtwo, from the game. Both Roy and mewtwo were broken, but mewtwo had something that Roy did not, initiative. Mewtwo left Roy and began to reform himself and go on new adventures, just to make the crowd fall in love with him again. But Roy did nothing. He watched as both Marth and Ike were clad in new armor and went on new adventures to gain even more love. He watched as the blue creature was obsessed by millions. He figured it must've been the curse of blue hair. But little did he know that the fans of the game missed him. They wanted Roy back more than anything. But through all of this things happened that made Roy feel even more dismal. Another hero arose, this one saving the lineage of lords to sure destruction. He was cool and collected, loved by many, and of course had majestic blue hair. But through this Roy found new determination. He clad himself in new armor and went to help this new lord, Chrom, on his journey, but not without a price of money of course. He hoped that his revival would lead to another adventure for himself. But the new game was arriving sooner than any new adventure to take place. He went to the stadium to find the list of contenders and scanned it closely. Marth was the first name he found, soon after he found his old friend mewtwo, and then that blue rat, sonic. Ike was next, followed closely by Chrom. He feared he would not be included but then he saw it, right near the end of the list, ROY! But why was he included? Here's why.

Marth will be included because he is the face of the franchise and has starred in 4-5 games whether or not you include awakening. Ike will be included because he was featured in two games, and is the favorite lord out of all of them. Chrom will be included due to being the Protagonist of the game that not only sold magnificently and got amazing scores, but saved the franchise from sure destruction. Roy's case is a little bit more tricky. I think he will be included as a character somehow, my narrative made him as a late inclusion. I think this will be the case because he really isn't very influential when it comes to fire emblem, but he has the credentials of being the second most missed character in brawl besides mewtwo and has huge popularity, usually in the top ten or even 5 in polls. So I think sakurai understands this and will make him a late inclusion Marth clone just like Melee, or he will be a DLC character with either his Melee moveset or a new one, who knows.

As for why fire emblem itself deserves 4 reps there are plenty of good reasons. First of all there are 13 different fire emblem games. That is a LOT. Second of all they are some of the most popular Nintendo RPGs out there and more popular games tend to get more characters, unless they aren't very character based. This doesn't exactly work for fire emblem though because fire emblem is the most character based game ever. I am not even exaggerating on this one, there is no game in the universe that is more character focused than fire emblem, that's what makes it so awesome. And lastly they have 4 perfect characters to include in the roster, so it's not exactly hard to pick.

So yes, fire emblem deserves 4 slots. But do you know what fire emblem really really deserves? It's own goddamn fighting game!!

Also sorry about the narrative I got carried away. :lick:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom