• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Last post before bed, so don't expect to see more from me for a few hours.

Oh. I don't remember that but cool.

And please post more. We don't bite! You seem like a pretty cool guy.
Eh, what can I say? I'm kinda a slow poster, so before I post I check to see if some else posted what I was going to say for me. That happens a lot, and I'm not really the type to try and inflate my post count. That and again, I'm naturally a shy person.

(P.S. - Know how to change my avatar out of that question mark? I can't seem to figure that out.)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
(P.S. - Know how to change my avatar out of that question mark? I can't seem to figure that out.)
Check the top right of the screen and hold your mouse over your username. A menu should drop down, and it should have a choice that says "avatar." Click on that.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Last post before bed, so don't expect to see more from me for a few hours.

Eh, what can I say? I'm kinda a slow poster, so before I post I check to see if some else posted what I was going to say for me. That happens a lot, and I'm not really the type to try and inflate my post count. That and again, I'm naturally a shy person.

Hey, if you support Vaati, welcome to my team. You will be my 2nd handman. If you don't, awww :urg:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
who's vaati again? :p

So...anyone actually dislike the idea of an Animal Crossing character? Don't say what you think will happen. Just say if you want one.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I honestly don't like the idea of Animal Crossing in smash but i would expect tom nook out of everyone

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'd enjoy an AC character.

It'd be Tom Nook, but really, it should be Crazy Redd. We all know he's the guy who would knife you in a back alley.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
There are many other Nintendo characters that actually fight and adventure that I'd rather see. That being said if they were to run out of workable misc. fighters worth adding sometime down the road, I guess I'd be ok with an Animal Crossing character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think Tom Nook's final smash, if he were in, should be called "Crippling Debt".

Greatest Final Smash name. Ever.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I like the idea of hitting people with the train for a Final Smash.

For Crippling Debt, he could just drop a house on the stage and then start beating money out of the other fighters.

Tom Nook would clearly have an advantage in coin battles. Him and Wario duking it out in one of those would be a battle of the ages.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
*So what about Toon Link, who is similar to Link?*

I hate this argument that Toon/Young LInk is a clone, therefore it's okay for Dark Pit, and who ever else. Any Zelda fan can tell you that when it comes to Link, there's pretty much 2 incarnations. A younger child-like one (Young Link and from Majora's onward, Toon Link) and the older mature one (the Link everybody knows about). By having the double Links, you're repping 2 important sides to the character of Link that have both existed for quite some time now. Read Sakurai's update featuring Toon Link. There's always been the younger and older incarnations. Dark Pit is nothing like that.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I hate this argument that Toon/Young LInk is a clone, therefore it's okay for Dark Pit, and who ever else. Any Zelda fan can tell you that when it comes to Link, there's pretty much 2 incarnations. A younger child-like one (Young Link and from Majora's onward, Toon Link) and the older mature one (the Link everybody knows about). By having the double Links, you're repping 2 important sides to the character of Link that have both existed for quite some time now. Read Sakurai's update featuring Toon Link. There's always been the younger and older incarnations. Dark Pit is nothing like that.
And Sakurai has gone on record stating he feels it's important to represent both the Links. Meaning my main is safe! =D

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
IMO i think they dont even need two versions to rep link, one is good enough to represent every link since they are all different.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I like the idea of hitting people with the train for a Final Smash.

For Crippling Debt, he could just drop a house on the stage and then start beating money out of the other fighters.

Tom Nook would clearly have an advantage in coin battles. Him and Wario duking it out in one of those would be a battle of the ages.
I think Tom Nook would have to be paid DLC.

D

Deleted member

Don't bother wasting your time on him. Just set him to Ignore if you want to keep your sanity.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yep. It already does, as does the 3DS.

How come you think a Hunter is likelier than Ridley?
Or Lyn more than Ike?
Or Matthew more than Isaac?
Just curious.
Ridley works better as a boss or an assist trophy, he' clearly more powerful than the characters in SSB. People say he can be sized down, but I still think it wouldn't work it would just be unrealistic to me. I consider the huge amount of rival bounty hunters was a reason to add another Metroid rep. Otherwise I consider some franchises to be better off as having just the main character, as the hero is very individual in his game like Yoshi or Pit. (except the usually get help from more powerful characters.) Other series definitely deserve extra reps. Like Fox had a lot of equally matched partners like Falco, or DK had tons of Kong relatives like Diddy.

Ike got in Brawl because he was the most recent FE hero, and since Chrom is the recent hero now, I figure Ike MIGHT be dropped. So I added Lyn as the female hero. I originally had Marth, Leif, Chrom, and Ike. And then I had Marth, Eirika, Chrom, and Ike. But, I finally came to this decision and added my past alternatives at the bottom in case they make it. also Lyn could take Ike's B forward & B up move. She uses the up in Blazing Sword and the forward in Brawl. Where as Roy could take the B and B down move.

Matthew I added because he's the most recent Golden Sun hero, but I stated in my video that he's equally likely as Issac.

If you wanna see my videos by the way here's a link to my channel :) : http://www.youtube.com/user/XxSilverSaturnxX

Bajef8

Smash Ace
IMO i think they dont even need two versions to rep link, one is good enough to represent every link since they are all different.

Yes all the child ones and young adult/adult ones are different. there's always 2 incarnations to Link in those 2 sub categories, and as a huge Zelda fan, I'd say it warrants the 2 Links, its just too important.

And alas, Noah has wandered into this thread...please explain, 9-Volt, Skull Kid, Metal Mario, Wreck-It Ralph (seriously though? that's more absurd than Goku), and Ninten...why?

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I'll throw in my two cents on the roster.

First issue: Ninten. You might as well put Ness down twice on the roster... oh wait.

First and a half issue: Sheriff. I currently don't have an opinion on him and don't know if he would generate positive reception or not.

Second issue: Trace. There are much more notable Metroid representatives such as Ridley and Dark Samus who've appeared in multiple games while Trace served as a side-villain for one. Sylux would probably be the most notable Prime Hunters rep as he at least has backstory with the Galactic Federation. Ridley can be sized down just like how Olimar (Who is only centimeters high) was scaled tremendously up. If Olimar were actual sized he would be pitifully weak compared to every other character. If Samus can hold her own against Ridley he's not overpowered. Because what does that make Samus?

Third issue: Newtwo. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him make an appearance in some way I think replacing him with Mewtwo is going to generate a lot of negative reception among players. You can look at various polls here at Smashboards and Mewtwo will be in the top 5 most wanted in just about every poll. Now if we see Newtwo as a Final Smash form that would definitely be something...

Fourth issue: Miis. Now implementing personal preference and bias here. I believe that introducing Miis as a playable character, or even having customizable characters in Smash will be a butchery and mockery to Smash in general. (Customizable similar to custom characters in Soul Caliber._

Fifth issue: Matthew. Though this one is personal, Isaac has more going for him than Matthew does. More games, better received games, better sales, more recognized. Being the most recent protagonist is a very weak reason for a character's inclusion. For example, when Ike was added to Brawl it wasn't because he was the most recent, it was because Intelligent Systems recommended Ike to Sakurai after he sought IS out. Edit: Watched the video and Golden Sun is NOT third party.

Sixth issue: Ike. Let's not repeat the whole Roy incident again. Ike had great reception in Brawl and cutting him, even for Roy, is going to dissatisfy a lot of players. While getting Chrom, Marth, Roy, Lyn, and Ike would be great, we need to be realistic here. We're going to be extremely lucky to see four Fire Emblem characters but Ike is most likely not going to get the boot for Roy OR Lyn.

Edit: Yeah I messed up the last two points pretty hard. I will address them later.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yes all the child ones and young adult/adult ones are different. there's always 2 incarnations to Link in those 2 sub categories, and as a huge Zelda fan, I'd say it warrants the 2 Links, its just too important.

And alas, Noah has wandered into this thread...please explain, 9-Volt, Skull Kid, Metal Mario, Wreck-It Ralph (seriously though? that's more absurd than Goku), and Ninten...why?
They are all explained in this video:

Also how is Wreck-it Ralph more absurd than GOKU? It wasn't absurd when he was Sega Racing. But, Ralph's not an official part of my roster. Just stated as a possibility. But, Ralph was from a movie about Video Games, it featured Nintendo Characters and cameos from other Nintendo stuff and was a HUGE hit, and since it did the same for Sega I guess that was enough for them to add him in their game. How is that more absurd then a TV Anime character?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley works better as a boss or an assist trophy, he' clearly more powerful than the characters in SSB.
Ganondorf is more powerful than most people on the roster. As is Mewtwo and Samus. Canon power doesn't reflect on eligibility for smash.
People say he can be sized down, but I still think it wouldn't work it would just be unrealistic to me.
Not trying to anger you, but take a look at the Ridley thread. We have a bunch of theories, models and charts that prove that Ridley could easily be resized and still work. Ridley can work just fine in smash.
I consider the huge amount of rival bounty hunters was a reason to add another Metroid rep.
So why not add the villain. None of the hunters were even that popular and the hunters that were notable (Rundas, Ghor and Gandraya) are dead and can never be seen again. If Metroid gets another character, it should be Ridley.
Otherwise I consider some franchises to be better off as having just the main character, as the hero is very individual in his game like Yoshi or Pit. (except the usually get help from more powerful characters.) Other series definitely deserve extra reps. Like Fox had a lot of equally matched partners like Falco, or DK had tons of Kong relatives like Diddy.
Zelda is more powerful than Link (Magic FTW).

Mewtwo is a god compared to Pikachu.

Again, canon power doesn't matter.

Ike got in Brawl because he was the most recent FE hero, and since Chrom is the recent hero now, I figure Ike MIGHT be dropped. So I added Lyn as the female hero. I originally had Marth, Leif, Chrom, and Ike. And then I had Marth, Eirika, Chrom, and Ike. But, I finally came to this decision and added my past alternatives at the bottom in case they make it. also Lyn could take Ike's B forward & B up move. She uses the up in Blazing Sword and the forward in Brawl. Where as Roy could take the B and B down move.
Lyn taking Aether?!?!

Have you played FE7 game? That can't work. Lyn's attacks are more similar to Marth's Dolphin Balde than Aether. And teleporting across the map under the cover of darkness is pretty different than Quick Draw.

And Ike being added because of recency is an unproven theory. All we know is that Sakurai asked IS for advice and they suggested Ike. We don't know their reasons. It's possible that Ike was chosen because of recency but it could have also been because of popularity. We don't know for sure.

Also how is Wreck-it Ralph more absurd than GOKU? It wasn't absurd when he was Sega Racing.
Sega's rules and Sakurai's rules are different.

Just because Sega does something doesn't mean Sakurai will.

I'm trying to be as polite as I can.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'll throw in my two cents on the roster.

First issue: Ninten. You might as well put Ness down twice on the roster... oh wait.

First and a half issue: Sheriff. I currently don't have an opinion on him and don't know if he would generate positive reception or not.

Second issue: Trace. There are much more notable Metroid representatives such as Ridley and Dark Samus who've appeared in multiple games while Trace served as a side-villain for one. Sylux would probably be the most notable Prime Hunters rep as he at least has backstory with the Galactic Federation. Ridley can be sized down just like how Olimar (Who is only centimeters high) was scaled tremendously up. If Olimar were actual sized he would be pitifully weak compared to every other character. If Samus can hold her own against Ridley he's not overpowered. Because what does that make Samus?

Third issue: Newtwo. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him make an appearance in some way I think replacing him with Mewtwo is going to generate a lot of negative reception among players. You can look at various polls here at Smashboards and Mewtwo will be in the top 5 most wanted in just about every poll. Now if we see Newtwo as a Final Smash form that would definitely be something...

Fourth issue: Miis. Now implementing personal preference and bias here. I believe that introducing Miis as a playable character, or even having customizable characters in Smash will be a butchery and mockery to Smash in general. (Customizable similar to custom characters in Soul Caliber._

Fifth issue: Matthew. Though this one is personal, Isaac has more going for him than Matthew does. More games, better received games, better sales, more recognized. Being the most recent protagonist is a very weak reason for a character's inclusion. For example, when Ike was added to Brawl it wasn't because he was the most recent, it was because Intelligent Systems recommended Ike to Sakurai after he sought IS out.

Sixth issue: Ike. Let's not repeat the whole Roy incident again. Ike had great reception in Brawl and cutting him, even for Roy, is going to dissatisfy a lot of players. While getting Chrom, Marth, Roy, Lyn, and Ike would be great, we need to be realistic here. We're going to be extremely lucky to see four Fire Emblem characters but Ike is most likely not going to get the boot for Roy OR Lyn.

Seventh issue: Where's Pit!? I'm sure this was accidental on your part.

Eight issue: The entire DLC roster with the exception of Toad, Jr. and Majora. Your bias is extremely prevalent in here, how many of these characters scream 'I'm a Nintendo All-Star?' Very very few. And I'll leave it at that.

5/10. Your roster's fundamentals are there with the exception of Ike and Pit but there are still a few questionable inclusions especially with the DLC roster.
Ninten: Well, if you can redesign pit, or like the Fire Emblem characters in the Awakening DLC, I'm pretty sure you can do the same. He's from a Famicom game so they would definitely modernize his appearance. That's what people do. So he wouldn't look like Ness if he was in it. But, that's if he was in it. and he can use has his own PSI moves: Beam, Hypnosis, Teleport, ect.

Bounty Hunter: I stated that you could resize Ridley. I never said you couldn't. Also I think Dark Samus would be the same as having Ninten. Both would look similar to another, yet have different moves. By which I mean the "redesigned" Ninten. Not the original Famicom version.

Newtwo: I don't think Sakurai is gonna come to the smashboards poll in order to decide who he's gonna add. I have Newtwo because even though he is still Mewtwo he is from X & Y. Plus it's still Mewtwo. So the people who want Mewtwo so badly would be getting it. Doesn't matter if he looks Modern.

Mii: I never said you could customize Mii's moves.

Matthew: That's why Issac is at the bottom. He's just as likely. I put Matthew because he's more recent.

Pit: I don't know why you can't see Pit. He's in there between Olimar & Takamaru.

DLC: It's not a DLC roster, it says "Other Possibilities" also there are plenty of characters in SSB that clearly don't scream "I'm a Nintendo All-Star".

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Ridley works better as a boss or an assist trophy, he' clearly more powerful than the characters in SSB. People say he can be sized down, but I still think it wouldn't work it would just be unrealistic to me. I consider the huge amount of rival bounty hunters was a reason to add another Metroid rep. Otherwise I consider some franchises to be better off as having just the main character, as the hero is very individual in his game like Yoshi or Pit. (except the usually get help from more powerful characters.) Other series definitely deserve extra reps. Like Fox had a lot of equally matched partners like Falco, or DK had tons of Kong relatives like Diddy.

Matthew I added because he's the most recent Golden Sun hero, but I stated in my video that he's equally likely as Issac.

If you wanna see my videos by the way here's a link to my channel :) : http://www.youtube.com/user/XxSilverSaturnxX
Hey, I was right! Well seeing how Samus always defeats Ridley I'd say she's too overpowered. Everyone seems to forget Ridley was resized in Melee's intro... and you know, the first Metroid game. Also how do you choose which bounty hunter to have? It's like trying to choose a single Koopaling, it's weird to have one and not all the others. Lyn being female doesn't outdo Ike being the protagonist of two games, plus he's more popular and was already in Brawl. Ok if you think Isaac and Matthew are equally likely why not choose the more popular choice?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, I was right! Well seeing how Samus always defeats Ridley I'd say she's too overpowered. Everyone seems to forget Ridley was resized in Melee's intro... and you know, the first Metroid game. Also how do you choose which bounty hunter to have? It's like trying to choose a single Koopaling, it's weird to have one and not all the others. Lyn being female doesn't outdo Ike being the protagonist of two games, plus he's more popular and was already in Brawl. Ok if you think Isaac and Matthew are equally likely why not choose the more popular choice?
I expect great things from you.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Btw, do you have a roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom