• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The existing Pokemon roster proves this. Not counting Pichu and Jiggs
Except we ARE counting Pichu, Lucario, & Jiggs. Even if Pichu got in for being a clone, he clearly deserved the spot and it was him over Raichu. Jigglypuff being similar to Kirby is simply a convenience. She deserved the spot.

Again, which Pokemon are these that are as iconic as the existing first gens? And really, it's not a matter of who is iconic, as one could say there are iconic Pokemon from every gen. It's a matter of who is most iconic (as well as the other factors). Sakurai is going to prioritize the most qualified first, and those largely comes from the first gen.
It's usually a matter of who is most iconic. But, for Pokemon the case is different. This is a game where you keep meeting more and more new characters hat happen to be iconic to Pokemon fans. You have nothing to suggest that Sakurai himself does not see it important to have at least 1 Pokemon from another gen. Brawl suggests that he does find that important however, as does logic.

Sakurai has added characters in the past for what we would consider bad reasons. Adding a character because of music, easy to program, or just being fond of it. So why would he not bother adding a character to add variety when they are already iconic and deserving in the first place?

Why not? Why is adding a character less popular/iconic/important/impacting better representation than one who is more qualified in all those categories? Representing recency is no where near as important as including characters that are actual series staples.
Because it adds the needed variety to a series that always presents more and more characters. Lucario is a series staple by the way and I don't see him leaving especially when we risk a roster with only gen 1 Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

One thing that interests me about that character instance list - who, or what, is 'MARIOD'? Mario is at the top of the list, DR_MARIO is somewhere near the middle, but that last entry interests me. It's been a while since I've played vanilla Brawl (due to Project M) but Mario didn't have any Wario Man-esque transformations, and I don't recall encountering any Mario lookalikes in the single player campaigns, so what is MARIOD all about?

Probably something bland and uninteresting, but it's interesting to me because nobody seems to talk about it like with PRA_MAI. Am I just being a moron and missing some crucial bits of information here? If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's a debug version of Mario, used for anything from testing custom stages and being used in How To Play videos - but I see no reason why they couldn't just use regular Mario for any of those things.
MarioD is a Debug version of Mario.
This is evident with the IC-Constants data being the same.
(Fun fact, going by that list of data, Dixie Kong was going to be able to Wall Cling like Diddy and Toon Sheik was able to Wall Jump (but not cling like the non-Toon counterpart).)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Because it adds the needed variety to a series that always presents more and more characters. Lucario is a series staple by the way and I don't see him leaving especially when we risk a roster with only gen 1 Pokemon.
Except Sakurai literally just asks the Pokemon Company what are the current "hot ticket" Pokemon. The reason Lucario got in Brawl was because he was extremely popular at the time. It had nothing to do with his generation. Sakurai does not care about representing generations. At the very least, what you're saying doesn't show it. Besides, what difference does it make of which generations we get? They're all Pokemon just the same. I'd rather see individual Pokemon with their own worth get into Smash Bros., not ones added solely to fill some sort of label in being from a different generation.

If someone can copy-pasta this to Noah, that'd be really nice of you. Still on ignore, of course. Ehue.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Except Sakurai literally just asks the Pokemon Company what are the current "hot ticket" Pokemon. The reason Lucario got in Brawl was because he was extremely popular at the time. It had nothing to do with his generation. Sakurai does not care about representing generations. At the very least, what you're saying doesn't show it. Besides, what difference does it make of which generations we get? They're all Pokemon just the same. I'd rather see individual Pokemon with their own worth get into Smash Bros., not ones added solely to fill some sort of label in being from a different generation.

If someone can copy-pasta this to Noah, that'd be really nice of you. Still on ignore, of course. Ehue.
Quoted for you.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I know there is no way we'd get a 50 character roster, but here is mine. (I'll call this the planned roster) Credit to Ariand/AEM for making awesome icons

I like to take risk with my roster rather than just playing it safe all the time. Ninten could likely be a last minute semi-clone with some tweeks and be the Wolf of the trio. It wouldn't be very hard to redesign him.

Alt. Forms & DLC:

Ninten's Semi-Clone specials:

Neutral B: PK Brain Shock
Forward B: PK Beam
Downward B: Power Sheild (PSI Counter)
Upward B: PK Thunder
You brought back Ninten. Interesting. His Up B should be PK Teleport, not PK Thunder. Works differently on the ground than in the air.

He isn't likely, though. A third Mother character should be Porky, if we even get one at all.

No K Rool, either...

---

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Quoted for you.
It won't show up. You'd have to copy-paste the text, otherwise people you have on ignore have quotes with their user ID completely blotched out.
You brought back Ninten. Interesting. His Up B should be PK Teleport, not PK Thunder. Works differently on the ground than in the air.

He isn't likely, though. A third Mother character should be Porky, if we even get one at all.

No K Rool, either...

---
Ninten isn't marketable nor does he make anyone want to play the game (considering how essentially everyone on the planet who has played Mother 1 has already played EarthBound first), and we're already shoddy as to whether Lucas will return or not. Ninten isn't just unlikely, he's outright not happening.

And no K. Rool is indeed sad.

Gune

Smash Lord
Yeah I have to agree with you on this but I do see him getting in though, not because of gen representation but because of what Lucario represents and I'm sure game freak wants the same.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Yeah I have to agree with you on this but I do see him getting in though, not because of gen representation but because of what Lucario represents and I'm sure game freak wants the same.
I'm not saying Lucario won't get in. I'm saying Noah is making it a point that a character is automatically that much more eligible simply because they're from a different generation, hence why he keeps allocating for a different generation Pokemon Trainer and Genesect...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It won't show up. You'd have to copy-paste the text, otherwise people you have on ignore have quotes with their user ID completely blotched out.
Oh sorry.

God Robert's Cousin:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Oh sorry.

God Robert's Cousin:

He can just simply read your post...

Gune

Smash Lord
I'm not saying Lucario won't get in. I'm saying Noah is making it a point that a character is automatically that much more eligible simply because they're from a different generation, hence why he keeps allocating for a different generation Pokemon Trainer and Genesect...
Oh... well that is true gen representation doesent warrant a spot.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
He can just simply read your post...
I'm on ignore to him. He can't read my post unless someone else says it theirself.
He won't know who said it though, which was the point.
The only point I wanted to get across was for Noah to understand why generation representation doesn't mean jack.
Oh... well that is true gen representation doesent warrant a spot.
Again, all the more power to us all if someone could actually quote his post and tell him that.

D

Deleted member

Worrying about the hole on the Pyrosphere stage meaning that Ridley is a hazard (which is dumb).
Toad apparently not being debunked because nitwits are in denial.
Wonder Red.
Typical malarkey with stuff like Fire Emblem and Pokemon.
Agree on Rodley.
People legit think Toad has a real shot still?

Oh and Wonder Red could be cool I guess.

First, I want to say this unrelated thing:
HOW IN THE HELL DID THEY GET THE FULL LISTING IN WHERE THE MISSING CHARACTERS WERE IN THE LINEUP?!? 0_o
I've been trying to figure it out for about 2 years now!

This absolutely confirms 3 things:
-When Dixie was scrapped as Diddy's partner, she was to be a low priority character on her own.
-Toon Sheik is really a "Toon Sheik", not Tetra.
-Pra Mai is not Plusle and Minun. Nor is it the Random Box (may whoever came up with that logic be shot).

This is pretty much the equivalent to the Missing Link in evolution theory to me!

*Ahem*
But now back to the discussion at hand.
You completely missed my point on WHY the characters are "low priority".

The low priority characters are the characters in-between R.O.B. (technically Pra Mai now) and Snake. Mario through R.O.B. as well as Snake and Sonic are not within this category.
These characters are low priority because they could be scrapped if time would not allow for every character available.
This is why these characters are within expendable clone/semi-clone territory (Roy, Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Toon Zelda/Sheik, Wolf, and apparently Dixie Kong) or are not current "hot ticket" Pokémon (Jigglypuff and Mewtwo).

Why else would Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario be separated from the other veterans and make an otherwise unexplainable block between Pra Mai and Toon Link, both of which would have been Brawl Newcomers?

*Breaks off into previous tangent again*
But this only raises more questions about Pra Mai.....like, who is it? Why were they scrapped? What was their initial purpose?
All this is doing is supporting my theory that Pra Mai was really an original character for Smash that would either have had Sonic's role or would have been someone the Brawlers met IN Subspace that would help them out....

So much cleared up, yet much more unknown.....

I agree on the Dixie deal, I always thought that she was scrapped completely because she couldn't be paired with Diddy. I think Sakurai was trying to go for a Shielda/IC hybrid with those two, but since he couldn't get it to run, he just tossed Dixie aside, and gave Diddy a DK64 inspired moveset. Thus, I dunno if Dixie will be a solo character for Smash 4, since she seems to have been dropped early. Plus K.Rool seems like a more likely choice really.

Agree on Toon Sheik, and I think that's a DUMB ****ing idea, no wonder it was scrapped.

As for Prai-Mai, your guess is as good as mine... Wanna speculate about it?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
*sniff* nobody commented on my roster :sadeyes:
I'll partake. Um, the only thing I find a fault in is its a little big. Not too out there, not too generic. I just sooner or later want to see a roster, in general, that is a bit smaller with cuts. Want tto see how what people would do restricted with 45 slots.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People legit think Toad has a real shot still?
Like I mentioned earlier, apparently a character is not debunked if you like it.

I mean for similar reasons, I'm doubtful towards Toon Link's inclusion, but people will persist that the character is still in 110% guaranteed.

D

Deleted member

Like I mentioned earlier, apparently a character is not debunked if you like it.

I mean for similar reasons, I'm doubtful towards Toon Link's inclusion, but people will persist that the character is still in 110% guaranteed.
I'm doubtful about Toon Link as well, and despite supporting him Pre-Brawl, I couldn't care less if he goes. Only reason I ever wanted him, was cause I expected he'd be more original than YL, not a reskin of him...

josh bones

Smash Lord

toon link is as likely as he was before. Before you go "muh train" Captain Falcon. That is all

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think he's talking about the fact that the Blue Falcon appeared in some F-Zeero stages in the past?
Still, that doesn't make much sense. I mean there is a difference between seeing both of Captain Falcon's personal vehicles driving in the F-Zero stages, and seeing Toon Link in broad day light as a background element. Going by this logic, Star Fox characters are debunked because the Arwings and Wolfins show up in the background.

Also before anyone says the Wind Waker Link =/= Spirit Train Link, keep in mind both versions of Link are essentially composite characters and borrow elements from varies incarnations of Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom